• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
www.buzzfeednews.com

A Father-To-Be Died While Building A Gender-Reveal Device That Exploded

Authorities said that the explosion killed Christopher Pekny, 28, and injured his 27-year-old brother, Michael Pekny.

Christopher Pekny, a 28-year-old father-to-be from New York, died after a device he was building for his child's gender-reveal party exploded, authorities said.

The New York State Police responded to reports of an explosion at a residence in the town of Liberty at 11:55 a.m. on Sunday. Authorities said that the gender-reveal device that Pekny was building exploded, killing him and injuring his 27-year-old brother, Michael Pekny.

The state police and its bomb disposal unit are investigating the incident.

Authorities did not specify what kind of device Pekny was building for the party. A New York State Police spokesperson told BuzzFeed News on Monday, "Currently there are no charges to be filed."

Seriously, this isn't even funny any more.... Go back to cakes or pinatas, or if you have to be flashy hire a sky writer or something.

Oct 25, 2017
jesus
why cant these idiots stop themselves
imagine growing up knowing that your dad died before you were born because he needlessly blew himself up trying to reveal your junk to his friends
just fucking stop this shit damn
if you gotta be extra go on cameo and get carlton banks to tell your friends all about it instead

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why does this keep happening?? Is some DIY YouTube channel suggesting explosives or some shit???

WHY IS THIS WORTH IT. Do the cake thing!!! it's delicious and only lethal to your heart in large doses...why must there be boom?!

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
To anyone throwing a gender reveal party, I promise you your guests don't care THAT much about your baby.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm just gonna assume an even greater loss of life was avoided had the explosive gone off at the actual event.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Waiting for the person who builds a thermonuclear bomb with "it's a boy" on it.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this a thing? Why presume that anyone outside you and your closest family gives a shit?

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
stupid ass fucking motherfuckers.

stop with this bullshit. just announce your baby and go on with your day stop trying to blow up city blocks.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
You'd think this trend would start getting old. There's nothing original or cute about it, just obnoxious nonsense. But idiots continue to love their obnoxious nonsense I guess...

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I couldn't stand this trend even when it was a pink/blue cake. It feels like another sick representation of people's inflated egos and sense of self importance. Now there have been all of these reports of people killing themselves and others over this. It is ridiculous.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Another trend born of social media. Everyone has to unveil their human child that has a 50/50 chance of being a boy or girl in some big way for social media "likes" or so that everyone talks about how big they did it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Goddamn people are freaking idiots.

Look, I wasn't into the whole idea of a gender reveal myself but the wife insisted on doing on back in 2018. I compromised and did colored gummy bears from a candy shop downtown near where I work. This way nobody freaking dies, poisons the water or otherwise has any real problems and also gets to eat some tasty gummy bears.

It also made my mom freak out because this was the only girl in the family on any side.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
have you seen social media the past decade. oversharing and clout chasing is what it boils down to.
My amazement extends beyond this particular fad, tbf. When we found out we were having boys we were basically "huh, cool" and that's it. I feel kinda similar with the "I got knocked up so give me free shit" parties (aka baby showers).

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't people just opt for different colored filling in a cupcake or something. So tragic this kid grows up without a dad now.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Look, I wasn't into the whole idea of a gender reveal myself but the wife insisted on doing on back in 2018. I compromised and did colored gummy bears from a candy shop downtown near where I work. This way nobody freaking dies, poisons the water or otherwise has any real problems and also gets to eat some tasty gummy bears.

It also made my mom freak out because this was the only girl in the family on any side.
I approve.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why even have a child if you can't blow up a city block revealing the gender?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand the point of a gender reveal party? In fact, I didnt know it was a thing until people started dying from it, as ludicrous as that already sounds. And whats the deal with having explosives with it?

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
My wife wanted to do a gender reveal. Wasn't really my cup of tea, but was grateful all she wanted was to buy cupcakes with pink filling and drop them off to her parents, lol.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Is this strictly an American stupidity ? I don't think I've ever seen non-US news about grand gender reveal parties.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
When we had our first, we just told people.

For our second, we had a little bit more fun. With him coming in May, the ultrasound for us finding out the gender was perfect timing for Christmas. We put his ultrasound in a calendar of his birth month and passed it out to family to look and see when they opened up gifts on Christmas Day.

Anyone doing more than something like that is just........why? Cut a damn cake.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020

This sounds cute and fun, but is a gender reveal party where everyone lives really a gender reveal party at all? :)

Last edited:

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Is there, like, a big popular Instagram people are following that talks about how great gender reveals are, because I don't understand how this keeps happening. The only news we ever see about them is something going horribly wrong.

Plus we're still in a flipping pandemic.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the point of gender reveal parties. It's really not that big of a deal that you need to go have a party for it. Just take a photo of some clothing with the appropriate colors and post it on Instagram or whatever. It doesn't need to be some extravagant event.