• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Was it up today at noon or at midnight est?
EuhU3-6XAAQr8WD

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
something about the way this game looks, just not clicking with me. will give the demo a try though
It is like a step up from Remnant, but still has that kind of generic character faces/voices and dialogue thing. It feels like the b movie of games.

BUT, the gunplay, abilities and build options are amazing. It's a gameplay first game for sure. My big worry is that people won't fully feel that at level 7, which really doesnmt get all that much into abilities and mods that start really giving that power fantasy.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
Every time I see this game I think about Remnant. Leaning towards getting it and if the demo delivers I'll preorder.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
This looks awesome, I had never heard of it. Do we know if it will have dual sense features?

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't understand why people are so anti-GAAS. If you enjoy the game then getting new content for it is good no?
Because the word GAAS is automatically associated with Micro Transactions so people instantly dislike it and you got to remember just because this isn't a GASS game doesn't mean we won't get new content they can always roll out paid expansions like Remnant, Destiny and The Division have done so in the past.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Because the word GAAS is automatically associated with Micro Transactions so people instantly dislike it and you got to remember just because this isn't a GASS game doesn't mean we won't get new content they can always roll out paid expansions like Remnant, Destiny and The Division have done so in the past.

Its at least 2 different camps of people. You also have the folks who just do not like the idea of any DLC and want the complete game out of the box. If for some reason you cannot download that stuff in the future and its likely to be inevitable, you don't have a complete product.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't understand why people are so anti-GAAS. If you enjoy the game then getting new content for it is good no?
I've never had a problem with them as long as they keep good content coming. I guess it could be that people want it all in one go instead of potentially being drip fed the content. I just like being able to play a bit here and there and come back for new updates as they add stuff

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Complicated topic, especially with regard to where you draw the line between games that are and are not, and could probably warrant a whole thread of debate. It didn't really get thrown around much prior to Destiny, a game that never employed the term itself. In many cases it started getting tossed out just as a way to describe any game that has foundational systems in common with that franchise regardless of genre, for better or worse. I always have this kind of internal debate whenever the release cycle of a game that aims to scratch a similar itch comes around.

But generally speaking in 2021 when the term comes up, it is almost universally associated with negative (or at least unpopular) aspects of modern game design including:
  • A small amount of content present or accessible at launch, with the implication from a player perspective being that the rest of the experience was "cut" to deliver piecemeal over time
  • Microtransactions, often in the form of an in-game currency and store
  • FOMO mechanics that encourage a mandated, rather than player-driven pace of play (a seasonal pass is the archetypal example)
  • Content roadmaps laying out expectations for regular post-launch updates; especially in light of a spotty track record for games sticking to these
However, it definitely bears noting that none of these factors actually constitute what a game-as-a-service actually is. They are just commonly employed by games that are one, and thus have become sort of dreaded features associated with any new release that might appear at first glance to be one too.

Thing is these games tend to have a lot of other design features in common too, but they aren't necessarily defining aspects of a GaaS either. Talking about:
  • Extreme replayability, with an endgame state where players are expected to continue grinding, leveling up, seeking loot, etc. after the campaign is complete
  • A strong emphasis on multiplayer, sometimes even to the point of being required for certain content
  • Time-limited and/or rotating in-game events
  • Actual post-launch support and content updates, regardless of amount at launch or roadmap delivery
Games like Monster Hunter World and basically all MMOs generally manage to avoid the label despite having these aspects, and even mechanics like daily login bonuses. The line between them and what would be considered a "true" GaaS isn't all that meaningful.

Meanwhile, games like Godfall and now Outriders actively reject the term in their FAQs- but these games have something in common that absolutely is foundational to the definition of a GaaS: they're always online. Online-only games are quite literally being provided to you as a service. You have to connect to their servers to play; game state information and even the entirety of your save data is often stored server-side.

All this is to say that right now, my take is that if you see the term GaaS, it's probably in the context of a dev telling you that their game isn't one- and what they actually mean by that is that there won't be a drip-feed of content instead of including everything available at launch, there won't be microtransactions or season passes, and you shouldn't expect post-launch updates (but wouldn't it feel awesome if you still got them!). It doesn't have much meaning anymore beyond that.

Anyway, looking forward to this. Classes look cool.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the Xbox insider beta for this a few months back and thought it was really bland and uninteresting, but I'll try it again with this demo and put some more time into it. First impression was that it just feels like an amalgamation of a bunch of different games. Nothing about it felt particularly unique to make it stand out and I worry that the full game will kind of suffer because of it. We'll see though. I like looter shooters so I'll try it again with an open mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I tried the Xbox insider beta for this a few months back and thought it was really bland and uninteresting, but I'll try it again with this demo and put some more time into it. First impression was that it just feels like an amalgamation of a bunch of different games. Nothing about it felt particularly unique to make it stand out and I worry that the full game will kind of suffer because of it. We'll see though. I like looter shooters so I'll try it again with an open mind.
I've said it a lot in this thread, but I think early game, that's completely true (no real wow moments). It was only around level 10 when my character's guns, mods and abilities started working together for a build and power fantasy that felt so, so good. Moment-to-moment was incredibly fun, and the increases with tiered skills and level ups felt actually substantial...contrary to the small gains found in a lot of looters. Very addictive for me for levels 10-17.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I guess so. I thought it was midnight est, but I guess it is noon. Damn, that sucks lol. I stayed up to stay the download since it'll take most of the day for me but guess I have to wait.

Same. I just figured it was midnight but then I looked at the other times and they were in the 24 hour format. Which I'm used to. All my clocks are set on that but when I just looked at the NA time it didn't click it meant noon not midnight

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Workin from home is gonna do the thing tomorrow. I'm having the hardest time deciding which class to go with...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

ara

Oct 26, 2017

The weapons and shooting and the area look a bit boring, but otherwise I'm digging what I'm seeing here. Coming up with different builds is my favorite part of these kinds of games, and the amount of skills and abilities and perks has me pretty excited about all the possibilities. Looking forward to checking the demo out tomorrow.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The weapons and shooting and the area look a bit boring, but otherwise I'm digging what I'm seeing here. Coming up with different builds is my favorite part of these kinds of games, and the amount of skills and abilities and perks has me pretty excited about all the possibilities. Looking forward to checking the demo out tomorrow.
probably mentioned already, but can you reset that huge skill tree?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
something about the way this game looks, just not clicking with me. will give the demo a try though

We're back to the gen 7 color palette for shooters. I think the character and enemy models are fine, but what they have shown so far of the maps just looks super generic aesthetically. Still want to try it out though.

I'll admit I haven't played many "Games as a Service" games, but those I have played always come off as either being unfinished base games that "get patched" over the first few weeks or months of the initial launch into what used to be considered a release candidate state only to start milking with not necessarily just microtransactions (that I ignore anyway), but the "new content" that sometimes is "free" (stuff that would have already been in the base game years ago) and just keep stretching it out over the proceeding months or even years until finally a true content update happens.

Personally, I prefer paid expansions. At least that way I'm not playing the same game that was already boring after the fifth "update" and can do other things if I get tired of the game only to return when it feels fresh again.

Last edited:

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
Finished download from AU PSN. Can't get past main menu due to maintenance, guess it will be live later.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the art direction as well, but gameplay looks ace and I trust people can fly.

Also everything about how the game is feature and content complete right out of launch makes me want to support it.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Complicated topic, especially with regard to where you draw the line between games that are and are not, and could probably warrant a whole thread of debate. It didn't really get thrown around much prior to Destiny, a game that never employed the term itself. In many cases it started getting tossed out just as a way to describe any game that has foundational systems in common with that franchise regardless of genre, for better or worse. I always have this kind of internal debate whenever the release cycle of a game that aims to scratch a similar itch comes around.

But generally speaking in 2021 when the term comes up, it is almost universally associated with negative (or at least unpopular) aspects of modern game design including:
  • A small amount of content present or accessible at launch, with the implication from a player perspective being that the rest of the experience was "cut" to deliver piecemeal over time
  • Microtransactions, often in the form of an in-game currency and store
  • FOMO mechanics that encourage a mandated, rather than player-driven pace of play (a seasonal pass is the archetypal example)
  • Content roadmaps laying out expectations for regular post-launch updates; especially in light of a spotty track record for games sticking to these
However, it definitely bears noting that none of these factors actually constitute what a game-as-a-service actually is. They are just commonly employed by games that are one, and thus have become sort of dreaded features associated with any new release that might appear at first glance to be one too.

Thing is these games tend to have a lot of other design features in common too, but they aren't necessarily defining aspects of a GaaS either. Talking about:
  • Extreme replayability, with an endgame state where players are expected to continue grinding, leveling up, seeking loot, etc. after the campaign is complete
  • A strong emphasis on multiplayer, sometimes even to the point of being required for certain content
  • Time-limited and/or rotating in-game events
  • Actual post-launch support and content updates, regardless of amount at launch or roadmap delivery
Games like Monster Hunter World and basically all MMOs generally manage to avoid the label despite having these aspects, and even mechanics like daily login bonuses. The line between them and what would be considered a "true" GaaS isn't all that meaningful.

Meanwhile, games like Godfall and now Outriders actively reject the term in their FAQs- but these games have something in common that absolutely is foundational to the definition of a GaaS: they're always online. Online-only games are quite literally being provided to you as a service. You have to connect to their servers to play; game state information and even the entirety of your save data is often stored server-side.

All this is to say that right now, my take is that if you see the term GaaS, it's probably in the context of a dev telling you that their game isn't one- and what they actually mean by that is that there won't be a drip-feed of content instead of including everything available at launch, there won't be microtransactions or season passes, and you shouldn't expect post-launch updates (but wouldn't it feel awesome if you still got them!). It doesn't have much meaning anymore beyond that.

Anyway, looking forward to this. Classes look cool.
Great write-up. My personal gripe with these types of games is this point you made:

FOMO mechanics that encourage a mandated, rather than player-driven pace of play

I don't necessarily mind the FOMO mechanics by having season passes or stuff like that. What always annoyed me with Destiny was the fact that it sometimes felt like the devs were actively working against the players having fun and the reason for that was because they wanted to be in control of pacing and the amount of power a player has.
Players level up or gain loot too quickly? Better fix that.
A weapon is too strong (but at the same time fun to use)? Either nerf it or make sure only a miniscule fraction of the playerbase gets access to that weapon.
Gjallarhorn and Xur is a prime example of that. Once Bungie realized that the weapon is game-breakingly good they made sure that it didn't return to Xur for a long, long, loooong, long time. At the same time they've let Xur sell the same damn Warlock glove for 3 out of 4 weeks when the game first launched.
So they did care about players not becoming too powerful and changed what Xur was selling in that department but didn't give a shit about one third of the players getting shafted week after week.

I know they don't want to have players reach the endgame after a few days and beat that a week after that (didn't stop players from doing that anyways) but instead of holding players back I would prefer it if the game launched with a little more content as a base. I'm not saying they held content back. GaaS type games can be really addicting because usually the gameplay loop is just so good so you end up playing everything the game has to offer in a very short amount of time. Destiny is one of the funnest games I've ever played but I wished D1 and D2 launched with at least 20% more content even if it's "just" more loot to keep the grind going. Yes that means more work for the devs, it means the game launches later and the publishers want to make money as quickly as possible.

Games that don't live off of GaaS mechanics usually don't have these problems. Square Enix gets their money from game sales and they won't care if you beat it in a day or if you play it for the rest of the year. They also don't care if you get ridiculously overpowered.
What counts after beating the game is that the players had fun. If they did and they decide to release DLC, those players might return and purchase that DLC but in the meantime, they don't have to worry about players actually reaching the carrot on the stick in front of them because it doesn't change their business plan.

Now I'm not saying GaaS is a bad thing. I played and loved D1 and D2 despite some issues I've had with the games and if Outriders is fun I hope they add more content to it. I'm not saying these things to bash Destiny, Bungie or GaaS. I'm just pointing out my personal issues I've had with those games that mostly stem from them being GaaS games.
I don't know much about Outriders but I do love me some looter shooters but the game still might end up being bad despite not being a GaaS type game. GaaS games can sometimes fix a bad launch. Outriders needs to nail it on day one.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
GaaS is good when it's done like Ubisoft does it, or Monster Hunter World. Tons of content added over time with none of it going away or is timed.

It's terrible when it's like Destiny 2, releasing expansion packs with hardly any content at all and the content that gets added only replaces the old content (FOMO).

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if they stated the game isn't GAAS because they don't know if they are going to support it after launch. If the game is a flop then there is not reason to keep providing content, they didn't lock themselves into it. If the game is a hit they can just put out expansions. I'm an expansions guy anyway, I think that is because I grew up playing MMO's.

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018
I'm really excited about this game. I've always been intrigued by games like Destiny but the overall setup just hasn't appealed to me. The story is very thin on the ground, and particularly convoluted if you try and start now - you have no idea what the hell is even going on. Plus the level of grinding and the amount of gameplay mechanics just utterly unexplained, etc...

They're hitting all the right notes for me so far. Pay once, get the game, play through 25-80 hours worth of content with friends on any platform, focused on being a co-op PVE RPG, no micro-transactions... that plus the gameplay and graphics look good to me so far.

One question: Have they confirmed whether or not there will be cross-progression? i.e. Can I play on Steam for a bit, then when my back starts aching from my crappy office chair, slump on my couch and keep playing the same character on my Xbox Series X?

SE Toby

Square Enix - Community Manager
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
London
Hello everyone! Just providing an update regarding the Xbox Series S output, as that was mentioned in this thread:

Our broadcast yesterday mistakenly listed an incorrect Xbox Series S output resolution and fps for Outriders.

The correct and intended output is: Xbox Series S at 4k and 60fps.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I'm wondering if they stated the game isn't GAAS because they don't know if they are going to support it after launch. If the game is a flop then there is not reason to keep providing content, they didn't lock themselves into it. If the game is a hit they can just put out expansions. I'm an expansions guy anyway, I think that is because I grew up playing MMO's.

They have expansions planned Im pretty sure about that. If the game is well received and already has alot of content I am pretty sure there is no problem to offer new content for money. Even with their promise of a complete game with no MTX or content updates.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hello everyone! Just providing an update regarding the Xbox Series S output, as that was mentioned in this thread:

Our broadcast yesterday mistakenly listed an incorrect Xbox Series S output resolution and fps for Outriders.

So from this
  • Xbox Series X: 4K 60fps
  • Xbox Series S 1080P 30fps
  • Xbox One X: 4K 30fps
  • Xbox One: 1080P 30fps

• To Xbox serie s 4k60fps ? Same as serie x and ps5 ? I can understand 4k30 or 1080-1440p60 but 4k60 this is awkward

Swarming1182

Jan 14, 2018

Excellent, thanks for the update. I know a lot of Series S players, including my brother, will be very happy to hear this. Series S really should be a 1080p60fps console! Interesting that you're saying it's 4K though - are you sure..? I mean it's totally possible, but I'd have expected the developers to crank up the graphics settings as high as possible while maintaining a steady 1080p60fps. Most Series S players don't need or want 4K.