• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star
So, my Xbox Series X has been working pretty much perfectly up to now, but I am having a weird issue. I have the new Yakuza game (Like a Dragon) on disc. I played about 2-3 hours a day or two ago and was coming back to it, and every time I tried to start it, my console hard crashes, completely turns off.

Anyone else had this issue with any physical game, Yakuza or otherwise? I don't know what to make of this. It will not like quit out of Yakuza of the quick resume, either, even though Quick Resume pops up in the corner or the screen.

I'm in the same boat. Borderlands 3 and Halo MCC can't get past the loading screen and completely shut down my Series X.

This issue has been reported by over 1500+ on Microsoft's support forum.

They're trying to fix in OS updates, but you have to be in the insider program to get access to it.

• Additional fixes to address consoles powering off unexpectedly while in use.

UPDATE: I installed this latest beta update 201115-2330 and it did indeed fix my power off issues with BL3 and Halo MCC.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Got my system a day earlier from Costco online order, and MAN its silent. Now I need to replace my external drive I have plugged into the back with all my games because its all I can hear. Unfortunately its 4TB and those are still spendy. OOof, what externals are people using?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I'm in the same boat. Borderlands 3 and Halo MCC can't get past the loading screen and completely shut down my Series X.

This issue has been reported by over 1500+ on Microsoft's support forum.

They're trying to fix in OS updates, but you have to be in the insider program to get access to it.

I "fixed" it by deleting the save and reserve data for the game. Not sure if that fix all though, but worth a try if you haven't done it yet. Hopefully it gets patched up soon, whatever the issue is

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
So, my Xbox Series X has been working pretty much perfectly up to now, but I am having a weird issue. I have the new Yakuza game (Like a Dragon) on disc. I played about 2-3 hours a day or two ago and was coming back to it, and every time I tried to start it, my console hard crashes, completely turns off. So I'm worried here and I decided to try out other games. Tried three Game Pass games, all work fine. So I decide to try Mortal Shell, another disc game I have. I pop it in and not only does it work, it pops to quick resume to right where I left off when I took the disc out to swap for Yakuza.

Anyone else had this issue with any physical game, Yakuza or otherwise? I don't know what to make of this. It will not like quit out of Yakuza of the quick resume, either, even though Quick Resume pops up in the corner or the screen.
Borderlands 3 hard crashed my Series X when I first started playing about 10 minutes in. I've played it probably a good 3 to 4 hours since then and haven't had it happen again.

OP
OP
nihilence

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Even when not installing?

Also, I had a royal system fuck tonight. I had Twitch app streaming and Watch Dogs froze. The game was stuttering audio, then locked with audio still playing. Tried quitting everything, but Twitch refused. Tried to report, and it kept saying something was wrong. Tried going to power settings and it refused to turn off. Sheet about 5-10 minutes, the Twitch app finally closed and I got power down.

Antydotes

One Winged Slayer
Dec 3, 2017
My TV is Vizio M55 e0 (specs here.) I do not plan on upgrading the TV for another 2 years or so (when stuff might drop in price), but would there be a huge difference between HDMI 1 and 2-4?

Specs for those:

HzXF3uD.png

I have not had a chance to test out some stuff, but overall I feel I will prefer stable framerate over graphics (could vary from game).

Oct 27, 2017
Rolled my own external 1TB SSD with a Samsung 860 EVO and enclosure for non series X games that I frequently play, and a 4TB Samsung D3 Station for cold storage.
Oh I do have a 1TB external MX500, thank you for reminding me! I think im going to get a longer USB cable for the cold storage 4TB my book because its just noisy and ruins the whisper quiet Series X next to it hah!

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Well, this is interesting. IGN compared load times of the same games running on PS5 and Series X, with some surprising results. For example, the games optimized for both consoles load about 2-3 seconds faster on PS5 than on Series X, despite the PS5's SSD being at least twice as fast the Series X's. But then they do tests on BC games, where it's actually the Series X loading the games much faster than the PS5 (between 7-15 seconds faster in most of the examples shown). Here's the video they uploaded earlier showing the results.

It's surprising to me, at least, since I was always expecting the PS5 to be hands down faster than the Series X when it came to loading times. Can anyone explain why 1) the PS5 is only a few seconds faster for optimized games and 2) why BC games load much faster on Series X than on PS5?

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is interesting. IGN compared load times of the same games running on PS5 and Series X, with some surprising results. For example, the games optimized for both consoles load about 2-3 seconds faster on PS5 than on Series X, despite the PS5's SSD being at least twice as fast the Series X's. But then they do tests on BC games, where it's actually the Series X loading the games much faster than the PS5 (between 7-15 seconds faster in most of the examples shown). Here's the video they uploaded earlier showing the results.

It's surprising to me, at least, since I was always expecting the PS5 to be hands down faster than the Series X when it came to loading times. Can anyone explain why 1) the PS5 is only a few seconds faster for optimized games and 2) why BC games load much faster on Series X than on PS5?

Raw speed is one thing but you're probably still bottlenecked by something else. The CPU has to decompress all the data, etc.

Not sure about BC. All things being equal you'd expect PS5 to load a bit faster but it's probably down to how each system implements BC 🤷‍♂️

Deleted member 35071

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
thought i could keep a game on both internal and external. So instead of transferring, i would just delete the game off internal...and have a backup copy on external. Bad idea. As when i went to download the Halo MCC patch. It took forever. Then i realized it was trying to update both at same time.

only other problem, is i've had 2 weird audio hitches. My gun sounds delayed in halo 3 MCC. And weird pops in Forza 4.

Iain

Apr 12, 2018
So.. why isn't my series X downloading content when put into rest mode or via remote download? One X worked fine.

I have checked power and remote access settings and all fine.
Also download speeds are up and down all over the place. Understand there will be more traffic right now but really random. Have a wired connection direct to router aswell.

anyone else have these issues

Dec 13, 2017
So I know destiny has had issues with HDR in the past, but I played some more tonight and I feel like it's gotten even worse. Like from one night to the next, did Destiny or Xbox change anything to the HDR settings? Why does HDR look so bad on Destiny and AC:V? AC looks good when it's daytime but at night it gets real hazy, any dark level in Destiny is blue. It's driving me insane. I've turned off HDR and Destiny just looks super washed out.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So.. why isn't my series X downloading content when put into rest mode or via remote download? One X worked fine.

Also download speeds are up and down all over the place. Understand there will be more traffic right now but really random. Have a wired connection direct to router aswell.

Rename your console in its settings and restart it (it will prompt to restart after renaming), it fixes the remote download issue (and background download for those who had it too).

Download speeds depends on many factors : if a game is active it throttles down (but since a few Insider builds it does not as much as day one), and if the game is on an external HDD it can be slowed by the HDD itself when it's big game updates (MCC had a few minutes without downloading but the HDD was working a lot).

bluemax38

Nov 3, 2020
My controller disconnects occasionally but only when playing BW Cold War and it did it again yesterday after the new FH 4 update. The sound went really echo-y too on FH 4 after my controller disconnected. My Xbox One had a duff wifi card which meant I couldn't play with a wireless controller so I'm hoping that this is a software issue...

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT

They've had the downloads while powered down in instant-on mode disabled due to bandwidth concerns because of covid.

Edit: Or not anymore? Ignore me.

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
I'm loving my Xbox Series X but the lack of optical out for audio is really hurting. I connect analog to the controller but it works nice about 50% of the time. The rest of the time the sound has some micro cuts or noise that is absolutely ruining the experience. I don't have anything between my box and the controller and is pretty much 2m away from the box. I always had this issue with Xbox One X too, the controller has never provided reliable audio and I can't believe they kept such a unreliable technology while also cutting the optical. Only thing I'm truly disappointed in.

The controller also stops responding randomly in games (AC:V and MK11). The Xbox logo is still on so it seems to be connected but it doesn't respond at all. Need to take the battery out to disconnect it and then back in to reconnect and keep going. They really need to fix the controller connection tbh.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
So I know destiny has had issues with HDR in the past, but I played some more tonight and I feel like it's gotten even worse. Like from one night to the next, did Destiny or Xbox change anything to the HDR settings? Why does HDR look so bad on Destiny and AC:V? AC looks good when it's daytime but at night it gets real hazy, any dark level in Destiny is blue. It's driving me insane. I've turned off HDR and Destiny just looks super washed out.
They broke HDR in Destiny 2 when they vaulted/released Beyond Light. The next-gen patch is due on the 8th December so hoping it gets fixed then.

Deleted member 50735

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 10, 2018
You don't want 4:2:0 or 4:2:2. You want 4:4:4 but that's probably up to your tv and your HDMI cable.

Edit: The cable included in the XSX should be plenty good enough.

Edit 2: Check out this list to see if your TV supports 4k/60 4:4:4
Unfortunately on the x1x and Series X if you enable the 422 option for a HDMI2.0 only TV with HDR, it can result in 422 8bit being sent and not 422 10bit for HDR. So that's why its best to go with 420 and untick the 422 box, where by HDR is actually sent as 10bit, albeit at 420. Certainly on my OLED 420 10bit HDR looks better than 422 8bit HDR This was expanded upon recently with Vincent's HDTV test video.

Hope that helps clarify. There is a lot of misunderstanding over what that 422 tick box does.

Babus

Oct 27, 2017
Well guys, I'm already one week days with the "technical miracle", here are my impressions:

- The console does not heat up and makes no noise, but like, nothing at all. It's impressive.
- Microsoft's proposal with the XSX is not to start a new generation, something new and unusual like the Nintendo Switch for example. The proposal is what I call "cell phone exchange": you don't buy a new cell phone to have new experiences, you buy it to do everything you already do, apps, photos, games, only better. And that is what the XSX is: everything you already know and played from the last three generations better;
- And, like every new cell phone, this new Xbox will run everything, but some games will be much better, others not so much and some will be the same. For example, two games that I play for 5 years, every year, since they left:

Batman Arkham Knight: runs at 30 fps with 900p res, nor is 1080p HD standard. In Series X it continues to run in these settings but runs without braking due to the VRR (Variable refresh rate) and HDR, because the Xbox puts HDR in games that it doesn't have (beautiful thing). The game got better, yes. Not as fuck. Similar to the PC version, nowhere near.

The Witcher 3: the game on Xbox One X (fucking names ...) it had two modes: 4k at 30 fps and between 1080p and 2k at almost 60 fps. In this second mode the resolution is dynamic, the game changes resolution to keep the framerate high, close to 60 fps. Only he has some sharp drops, to 40 fps, then back to 60 fps, the fluidity goes down the drain. On Series X, this mode runs at 4k and 60 fps. The game just got fucking better! Similar to a PC experience, a lot!

- This console finally (and the PS5 most likely too) solved the three biggest problems of the last two generations: loading time, downloading speed and framerate. I remember that in 2013 when they launched the Xbox One and PS4, I thought to myself "we will finally play full HD (1080p) at 60 fps". Hahahaha, sorry mistake. Neither in 90% of the games of this generation.

The previous generation, the PS360, was the one that introduced the digital store, digital games and with it endless downloads, starting to download the night, go to sleep and wake up the next day at the very end of the download. Not to mention that the store itself, most of the time, is locked, slow, the experience is not cool. It was also in this generation that the loading time got worse. Of course, there has always been this since the media left the cartridge for the CD, but they were much more acceptable on the PS2, GameCube and Xbox. Who remembers 10 minutes to load a chapter on PS3 Metal Gear Solid?

Everything from the past!
- Loading time: average of 30 seconds to load a game, loading of 10 within the game at most. That when there is ...
- Downloading speed: my connection is 400Mps. On PS4 low to a maximum of 90 Mps, on Switch it is no more than 40 Mps. In XSX? It has already reached a speed of 460 Mps, don't ask me how…
- Framerate: 60 fps smooth 'made a baby's bootie' at 4k resolution. And there are some games with the option of 120 fps if the 4k are dynamic. Stupid. And there's VRR to guarantee extra fluidity, absurd.

- Okay, but is it worth selling a kidney to buy this shit? It depends. If you have a top-of-the-line 4K HDR 55 "TV or higher and you want to play your games on it, yes, absolutely. Now if you play anywhere, on the screen on your phone, on the kitchen tube television, you don't care about 4k and that HDR shit, so the answer is no, because you're going to play the same games on your PS4 / XONE and not you will notice most of the aforementioned differences;
- What about the PS5? The Xbox hasn't had exclusives in a decade… Yes, it's true. But there is GamePass and that alone is worth buying the black box. It is not by chance that 70% of buyers of XSX and XSS have subscribed to GamePass. And there is no reason not to do it: it is extremely cheap in relation to the more than 100 games, mostly trilpe A, that it offers. Ball inside Microsoft;
- The only negative aspect of the device is the control. Not that it is bad, quite the contrary, but it is the same shit from the previous control that was already the same as the X360… Microsoft is looking like Sony that made the PS1, PS2 and PS3 with the same control! There was a microphone, a pad, a flasher missing, I don't know!

In short, a long time ago I was not satisfied with a console as I was with this Xbox Series X. I think the last time was with the X360, that I bought a better TV just because of it. The rest with the other consoles was exciting and then hey, it could be better, but that's okay.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I'm loving my Xbox Series X but the lack of optical out for audio is really hurting. I connect analog to the controller but it works nice about 50% of the time. The rest of the time the sound has some micro cuts or noise that is absolutely ruining the experience. I don't have anything between my box and the controller and is pretty much 2m away from the box. I always had this issue with Xbox One X too, the controller has never provided reliable audio and I can't believe they kept such a unreliable technology while also cutting the optical. Only thing I'm truly disappointed in.

The controller also stops responding randomly in games (AC:V and MK11). The Xbox logo is still on so it seems to be connected but it doesn't respond at all. Need to take the battery out to disconnect it and then back in to reconnect and keep going. They really need to fix the controller connection tbh.

I have also had the controller stops responding problem. It was while playing Untitled Goose Game so I don't think it's game specific.

Eterno

Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
It sold out here in Japan within 20 minutes of preorder starting. Now I understand why seeing we only got 20k units. I was very lucky to get one at pre-order opening from Amazon Japan.

Right now it's selling for about 600USD on Japanese auction sites.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017

You have three options:

1- HDMI optical adapter (Astro made one recently).

2- Headset chat adapter might fix your issues instead of connecting to your controller directly.

3- a headset that uses its own usb dongle (for example Plantronics RIG 800LX).

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ

I've been playing with headphones connected since day 1 and sound has been great (elite controller)..as for the non response of controller? Yes that's an issue but try just hitting home button and popping up the blade and go back to the game. Fixes it for me m

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It sold out here in Japan within 20 minutes of preorder starting. Now I understand why seeing we only got 20k units. I was very lucky to get one at pre-order opening from Amazon Japan.

Right now it's selling for about 600USD on Japanese auction sites.
I just walked into a Bic Camera on launch day and picked up a Series S without issues, lol.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can I plug a USB into my 360, move some save files onto it then copy it over to my Series X?

I know it's easier to do it with cloud sharing but I'm using a new account on my Series X and I think it says I need to re-up on gold for my account on the 360

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Guys, is there an issue with Quick Resume? Both Horizon 4 and Valhalla fail to use it for two days for me.....am I doing something wrong?

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised XS sold that many in Japan. Was thinking we'd see more like 1,000 units sold.
Based on what Phil Spencer has been saying, right now it is more about the supply chain. PS5 entered full production much earlier than XSX/S and so they have more units. Essentially both sets of consoles are sold out but you can see that Sony has more units supplied than MS atm so Xbox been sold out in Japan is a good thing. Meaning they might have better demand this gen than last gen.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Can I plug a USB into my 360, move some save files onto it then copy it over to my Series X?

I know it's easier to do it with cloud sharing but I'm using a new account on my Series X and I think it says I need to re-up on gold for my account on the 360
They're removing (or have removed, not sure on the timing) the requirement for Gold to use Cloud Saves on the Xbox 360

For those of you still enjoying Xbox 360, cloud saves will soon be free to all Xbox 360 users, making transferring your favorite games to Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S even easier.
Source

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
You have three options:

1- HDMI optical adapter (Astro made one recently).

2- Headset chat adapter might fix your issues instead of connecting to your controller directly.

3- a headset that uses its own usb dongle (for example Plantronics RIG 800LX).
I use the optical out on my TV. Maybe the TV has one?

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I've had my Series X about a week now and overall I'm incredibly happy with it. It's whisper quiet, Quick resume (when it works properly) is a game changer and overall the faster loading times alone make it feel like a bigger generational leap than we've seen in a long time. I've actually started to use fast travel in games again. Before If I had to travel a couple of Km distance and wasn't in the mood I'd still do it because it was better than staring at a loading screen for 60 seconds. Now fast travel in the games I've played takes 2-3 seconds.

All the distractions that took you out of your game and had you checking your phone are basically gone.

Coming from a One S the BC is an incredible leap too, The 4k enhanced auto HDR Xbox and 360 games are are completely new experience. It feels like I'm playing them the way they were designed to be played for the first time. I think I'm going to play through the whole Splinter Cell series again and I'm so excited at the prospect of more old games being added to BC or existing ones potentially getting enhancements. Those combined with game pass means I'll have no problem waiting for potential £70 games to come down in price.

I've got a few minor niggles, But they're mostly OS bugs that I expect to be fixed soon.

DLC issues - Every time I launch Watch Dogs or Forza Horizon 4 after a console restart it prompts me to download DLC again, even though I already have it installed. Can't seem to find a fix for this. I also had some issues with MK11 DLC but I think that was a bug with the game rather than the OS.

Captures - SDR videos record too dark to see anything and 4K ones won't upload to xbox live.

Quick Resume - Apart from the main game I'm playing at the moment (Yakuza: Like a Dragon) I never really know whether QR is going to work. It could do with an option to see what games are currently stored in QR and preferably an option to pin 1 or 2 games so they don't overwrite.

Updates - I just read about sorting games by last updated but I think it should be easier to tell what and how games have been updated. On PS4 it gives you a notification whenever a game updates and you can check every games update history for patch notes. It'd be useful since I'm waiting on a patch to fix Watch Dogs save bug before continuing and Yakuza's arcade game bug before playing those.

As I say, Overall I'm really happy with it though and can't wait to see where it goes!

Fake Edit: I said Yakuza's quick resume always works but I have just jumped back into it and am in a battle when I'm sure I wasn't when I left it, I don't think for the first time either. Maybe it keeps running for a bit in the background before it saves.

Last edited:

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.

Works fine for me...I started the 65 GB Destiny 2 Beyond Light ''patch'' for a few minutes last night,just to make sure it started rolling,shut the SX down completly and it was done when I woke up this morning.

Guys, is there an issue with Quick Resume? Both Horizon 4 and Valhalla fail to use it for two days for me.....am I doing something wrong?

Known issue,they have been disabled for now,I believe AC is causing corrupt saves sometimes on Quick resume.

Kensation

The Enlightened "this guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got my system a day earlier from Costco online order, and MAN its silent. Now I need to replace my external drive I have plugged into the back with all my games because its all I can hear. Unfortunately its 4TB and those are still spendy. OOof, what externals are people using?
I got a good deal on a 2TB Samsung T7 SSD. It's super fast and no more noisy external mechanical drive!

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I have installed 17 games so far and still got 218Gb left. So far so good. Of course i have not installed a behemoth like CoD and it's mostly indies and older gen games but still.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
My Series X fan stays on spinning slowly even when the console is fully powered off (got Instant On selected). Is this normal? I don't remember my One X doing this at all.

Edit: Disconnected my external hard drive and the fan stopped.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My Series X fan stays on spinning slowly even when the console is fully powered off (got Instant On selected). Is this normal? I don't remember my One X doing this at all.

Edit: Disconnected my external hard drive and the fan stopped.
See my post. It's random. I didn't disconnect my hard drive but restarted the Xbox. Put it to sleep again and no fan now