• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Also reading this thread I find myself in this strange, weird alternate universe where the Action RPG wasn't created until Dark Souls came along.

Which is intriguing, but definitely not the universe where I currently live.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Dark Souls is better than BOTW and Witcher but the last 40% being lackluster would disqualify it from being the best in my eyes.

Bloodborne is better but shares similar flaws. If we count DLCs as part of the package then I would pick BB over anything this decade though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's not my favorite but Dark Souls seems like a fine pick.

Aug 10, 2019
df782c4bf2b7e271098c7d979f15e193.jpg

Witcher 3 is such an amazing experience and deserves to share the crown for best game of the decade along side Ocarina of Time as best game of the 90s and Resident Evil 4 as best game of the 00s. Every time I think about witcher 3 I get excited. Plus the show is coming out next week, so it's extra awesome.
But yeah, Witcher 3 is GotD
1st of all, there is no "best game of the decade"
2nd of all, even if there was, OoT, RE4 and the Witcher 3 wouldn't be it
3rd of all, who the f*** elected you?

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Well actually we have a full year ahead of a possible game of the decade candidate. Cyberpunk may be dethrone BOTW

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1st of all, there is no "best game of the decade"
2nd of all, even if there was, OoT, RE4 and the Witcher 3 wouldn't be it
3rd of all, who the f*** elected you?
He's got alot of support. Witcher 3 is better then the games mentioned here that I've played (BotW, Dark Souls). Significantly more so.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
If we're looking at the best game of the 90s and 00s in this thread as well, OoT and RE4 have too much competition to be seen as THE definite #1 of those decades. Applies to this decade as well really, would be one from a selection of 5 or so titles.

Aug 10, 2019
User Warned: Hostility over multiple posts
He's got alot of support. Witcher 3 is better then the games mentioned here that I've played (BotW, Dark Souls). Significantly more so.
He's got support from what.. some random person on the internet. Neither of you have the pull to actually declare this, and both of you should be quite and sit down.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Dark Souls. It's great that Miyazaki is blessing us with the GoTD(Elden Ring) for the 2020s so soon into the decade. What a guy.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's got support from what.. some random person on the internet. Neither of you have the pull to actually declare this, and both of you should be quite and sit down.
and you need to chill out lmao
If we're looking at the best game of the 90s and 00s in this thread as well, OoT and RE4 have too much competition to be seen as THE definite #1 of those decades. Applies to this decade as well really, would be one from a selection of 5 or so titles.
OOT and CT are close. RE4 and MP are close too.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I agree with OP. I just started Hearts of Stone and going back into The Witcher 3 is simply amazing.

After trying a number of games between my first playthrough and now, nothing beats it for me. By far my favorite game this decade.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
90s: Doom. This should be obvious.

00s: I don't know. I'm still playing Diablo 2, but that's more personal and perhaps it's not fundamentally different enough from Diablo 1. Though its combination of satisfying action oriented gameplay with an emphasis on a well thought out loot system has endured. Resident Evil 4 I can also see considering the influence it had.

Dark Souls easily and nothing else is close IMO.

Considering the insane amount of influence it's had on game design since its release, the answer is most definitely Dark Souls. And that's without even discussing its own merits as an experience that is beyond compare.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who hasn't played any Soulsborne games, I would assume it would be Dark Souls.

I will personally always be more of a fan of Witcher and Botw, but Dark Souls did more for gaming than those.

Mar 18, 2019
My picks for the best video game(s) of each decade:

1970s - Space Invaders
1980s - Pac-Man / Super Mario Bros.
1990s - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
2000s - Resident Evil 4
2010s - Dark Souls / The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
I think 2010s is far easier to crown a champion than the 2000s.

Breath of the Wild is king.

2000s is a tossup, but if I had to it would be...

Metroid Prime Trilogy

Ocarina can take the 90s.

Super Mario wins 80s.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
By impact and popularity: Skyrim and Minecraft
By impact and "quality" in the sense of high quality single player games that pushed boundries: Dark Souls (although the honor should go to Demon's Soul, Dark Souls just popularized) and BotW

I don't think good and deep lore, good story moments plus well animated scenes is enough to call something boundry pushing and RDR2 did it better while pushing some boundries although is dragged down by some of it.

Have not played Death Stranding so not gona take it into consideration

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
While I wouldn't go as far as saying that The Witcher 3 is the Game of the Decade objectively, it is without a doubt my personal game of this generation.
More generally I would say that games such LoL, Fortnite, PUBG, etc. had a more profound impact and will probably be remembered and cherished as defining games in the future.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Hot Take: RE4 was always grey and flat and stiff. It has weak animations and mushy sounds and ugly visuals.

I saw it in a GameReactor magazine in 2005 andy first reaction was "how can an ugly game get a 9/10?"

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's Dark Souls

Also reading this thread I find myself in this strange, weird alternate universe where the Action RPG wasn't created until Dark Souls came along.

Which is intriguing, but definitely not the universe where I currently live.

Nothing strange. Give us a name of a game that made its own identity by having it's own genre this generation like Souls.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
Hot Take: RE4 was always grey and flat and stiff. It has weak animations and mushy sounds and ugly visuals.

I saw it in a GameReactor magazine in 2005 andy first reaction was "how can an ugly game get a 9/10?"

Seriously, when did we agree on RE4 being the game of the previous decade, when that decade had games such as Uncharted 2?

Jack Bonjour

Jan 15, 2018
Even if I really love The Witcher 3 (100%-d it), I'd still say it's Dark Souls. Just for the number of "Souls-inspired" games and mechanics that exist in current games, I'd say it has been the most influential game of the decade.

The other trend of the decade has been microtransactions, but the least we talk about those the better.

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls it is for me. Never before was I taken in by a world of wonder, yet at the same time, fear and reservation for what was around the next corner. Bloodborne may have perfected that in terms of worldspace and boss design, however.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
RE4 was pretty mind blowing experience at its time and quite influential so I don't know why people are pushing back on that. As to the "flat" look of it, I thought it was one of the better looking games on the PS2.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Without Skyrim and arguably Dark Souls, you don't have BotW.

I'd lean towards the former being the definitive game of the decade. We've had so many open world games this gen trying to capture the magic of Skyrim and not many have succeeded.

For the 2000s, I'd argue that Call of Duty 4 is the defining game. It singlehandedly transformed the control scheme for FPS games on controller and every FPS game afterwards tried to emulate what it did in multiplayer. To this day, CoD sells tons and tops charts constantly.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say Demon's souls but that came out in 2009. So It is Dark Souls. Witcher 3 just doesn't have strong enough gameplay despite being ambitious and well crafted in plenty of areas.

I would also say that OOT doesn't really deserve the praise it continues to receive. SM64 was way more important and better as a game.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
It's Dark Souls. Botw and W3 are the pinnacles of certain game styles. They are commenting on conventions created in Oblivion etc. Dark Souls is an inception point whereas W3 and BotW are culmination points. If the comparisons are OoT and RE4, the proper answer is to Dark Souls.

W3 is more like the FFX of this decade.
BotW is more like the Fallout 3 (not sure of the right analogue. I'm not a big BotW or Fallout fan.)

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls for sure. You can tell it is brilliant by the influence it has had on this gen.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
For the 2000s, I'd argue that Call of Duty 4 is the defining game. It singlehandedly transformed the control scheme for FPS games on controller and every FPS game afterwards tried to emulate what it did in multiplayer. To this day, CoD sells tons and tops charts constantly.

Halo: CE did everything you just said about COD4 years before and Halo: CE still better game than all the CODs.