• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I don't get about Backwards compatibility is, don't you need publisher permission to make them games backward compatible for new hardware. Don't Xbox have to get permission for each 360 game released on Xbox one?
It's possible Sony was more forward-thinking with their licensing.

Also possible that native playback at the hardware level changes things. MS is using fancy emulation that requires a bit of manual tweaking to get games working perfectly. So legally maybe they are not considered the exact same games as before? Just spitballing here. PS5 is sounding more like a PS2 situation where the hardware could just play your PS1 games natively.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Slightly off topic, but i hope Resident Evil 3 Remake is Next Gen Only since it's probably going to early 2021 or late 2020, PLZ Capcom, give me Ray traced Nemesis even if it's 30fps.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Imagine them, at PSX or whatever event they'll do next, revealing that PS4 games will have similar performance boost on the PS5 to what the XBX does to it's backlog of games.

They shows that with footage of plenty of games, focusing on exclusives of course. The last one shown is Bloodborne and people go nuts. 60fps, better IQ, better loading times, the works.

Then......the screen goes black.... and we see this:

maxresdefault.jpg

A man can dream....

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
i'm not all that tech savvy. so going by the spec info in the OP, how does the Ps5 compare to what we know confirmed/strongly rumored so far about the Xbox Two/Scarlett?
They're going to be extremely similar except it seems Xbox will have 2 skus at launch. A weaker digital only model with the normal one.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I mean sure, and the PS5 can also be 999$, everything's possible!

I'm actually positive the PS5 will have SSD drives by default, I just don't believe it will be as complex as what could potentially be achieved on 500+ motherboards with dedicated lanes for the SSD itself to show very little gains over your regular, now low cost (1 tb for 99$), 2280 NVMe ssds.

I know it sounds like a complex and expensive thing, but it actually should just be vanilla Ryzen 2/3000 series features. Run 4 4.0 lanes to an M.2 port, bam done.

Even better if they bake in the SSD controller into the APU or chipset, as this will allow for incredibly cheap controllerless modules to be used vs the Polaris/etc ones you currently see in the NVME space.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like it's gonna be expensive. I think I'll start my PS5 fund now so it won't be a major hit. Excited for next gen!

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Interesting that people in a dedicated gaming forum complain about battery life on ds4 being the worst, but still serviceable and enough for most, but ignore input lag which is important for a better gaming experience.

As for the news, great to see the basics covered: ps4BC (hopefully at least ps4pro like improved), current psvr compatibility, zen2 7nm + modern gpu.
Teasing some next gen 'game changing' features like 3d audio, insanely improved load times and ray tracing.
Do not lose time in things like cpu clocks or teraflops that may help competition when comparing raw specs and obviously not giving pricing
Also people asking for ps1-2-3 bc, that is a bonus but not really important, ps4 bc is

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I know it sounds like a complex and expensive thing, but it actually should just be vanilla Ryzen 2/3000 series features. Run 4 4.0 lanes to an M.2 port, bam done.

Even better if they bake in the SSD controller into the APU or chipset, as this will allow for incredibly cheap controllerless modules to be used vs the Polaris/etc ones you currently see in the NVME space.
I'm not sure AMD is ready to make a fully custom, PS5 only chip with an integrated ssd controller. Does AMD even have on of their own? Intel does, so do Polaris and I believe Micron, but what of AMD?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine them, at PSX or whatever event they'll do next, revealing that PS4 games will have similar performance boost on the PS5 to what the XBX does to it's backlog of games.

They shows that with footage of plenty of games, focusing on exclusives of course. The last one shown is Bloodborne and people go nuts. 60fps, better IQ, better loading times, the works.

Then......the screen goes black.... and we see this:

maxresdefault.jpg

A man can dream....
then stage goes dark and small light shines on a single man. George R.R Martin. Creative Director of Bloodborne.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
As ive said many times on this forum, I would have been shocked if PS5 didnt have BC.

I think there is going to be a heavy emphasis on PSVR next generation as well similar to how Xbox was all in on Kinect early in this generation. I dont think it will be a mandatory bundle though.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They're not selling me on it yet.

I'm hearing prettier games with faster loading, better lighting, and better sound. Cool. For now, it sounds like they're just continuing along the same well-paved path here.

The 3D audio sounds like a step in the right direction and the best part of this announcement. But I'm going to need to see something more impressive than this from a hardware perspective to really care about the launch. Post-launch, I'm sure I'll grab it to play the latest games, years down the line.

But making the first hardware announcement for next gen focused graphics and loading specs (again) is truly a "whatever" moment for me. The game are already pretty enough. Give me information that compares to this gen's VR moment or this gen's Switch moment if you want me to buy on day 1.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
With these specs I wonder if they will do a ps5 pro as well. If so I might just wait for that. Idk though the system seems future proof if it's going to be 8k capable

Don't read too much into the 8K talk - that is absolutely a marketing buzzline which they may or may not end up using in the end-product's promotion. Being capable of outputting to 8K certainly doesn't equate to the power to render high quality visuals at 8K - of which no next-gen machine will have next year.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
SSHD was not mentioned anywhere in that article, nor would it even be worth a damn. It was the most stopgap of measures for laptops to keep larger storage and get more speed, but they are largely useless these days. SSD prices have fallen enough that it's almost not worth it unless you want what is otherwise massive storage, but the gains are middling between a standard 7200RPM drive and a straight SSD.

Not to mention they're mostly made by Seagate now and the Firecuda everyone raved about seems to be slowly failing for many people.
The article starts with "a loadtime-killing solid-state hard drive.", and the fact that Cerny is saying "faster than anything on PC" leads me to think that this is not a real SSD, just a good customized version of something cheaper.
They won't give a 200gb high perf SSD, especially since PS4 games would still have to be installed.
No it is getting an SSD. SSHD is no where near that fast under any circumstances.
The Spiderman example is coming from a 5400rpm HDD. It's not a surprising improvement.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
If we're looking at some kind of custom SSHD solution then it's not going to be as expensive as going 100% SSD. Them saying that it's "the fastest everrr" is either PR buzzwording or Sony wizardry at work. But if it's actually that fast it must be some kind of NVMe, and it's expensive.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everyone complaining about price:
It's about a year from now, save $50 a month starting now and you'll be fine :)

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With the PSone classic flopping, hopefully they focus efforts on supporting BC for the PS1 and PS2.
Or

They take the exact opposite from that, and decide that no one gives a shit about old games. Especially considering the new head of Playstation famously said "they had PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?" in reference to the older Gran Turismo games being shown off at an event.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you need to work on your reading comprehension. I never said I wanted VR scrubbed from existence, I was lamenting the increased focus. You know, allocating resources that could be used elsewhere?

I hate to break it to you but you and your "millions" make up a tiny fraction of the PS userbase. I'm willing to bet more people agree with me than disagree.

Nope, I'd hazard a guess that VR has massive appeal for 10s of millions of people, they are just probably waiting another generation or two before jumping in.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
So, why are they just randomly revealing this now in a Wired article. Anyone else think that's a bit strange?

I have no idea about PC chipsets at the mo'. Are those specs good? We talking laptop CPU again or no?

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people laughing at "console raytracing" lol

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know you get absolutely slaughtered for even hinting that you don't care about VR on this forum but I don't care about VR..I just hope it's not a big focus of PS5. Everything else sounds pretty in line with what I was guessing, Fall 2020 probably $499. Hopefully BC beyond just PS4, I'd love to see high quality enhanced PS1 emulation on this.

When you try it you will care!

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
They addressed all my concerns in this random outta nowhere reveal. Day fucking one.

Looking forward to PSVR with the power of a PS5. Native 120fps perhaps? Incredible supersampling and assets quality? Gimme.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
A HDD / SSD faster than anything possible on PC? Really now? Even like a $6k PC with some stupid fast SSD / memory drive in RAID to boot?

I mean if you look at the speeds /possible/ for any budget of an SSD on PC, aren't you looking at 100s GBs/sec? And it's supposed to be stupidly faster than that?

Maybe I'm just misreading lol.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit... Did I die during the night?!?! This is a helluva thing to wake up to!!!!

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
As a PSVR early adopter, I'm very pleased that they are continuing to support the device.

As a Xbox only guy, this is the main area where Playstation is killing Xbox. I find it funny, in a twisted way. Microsoft started out the gen with Kinect 2.0, which was amazing tech that made the Sony Move look like childs play. Fast forward 6 years and Sony still supports and sells the Move and has added PSVR. Microsoft on the other hand has totally abandoned Kinect and killed VR on the Xbox, even though they have WMR headsets on PC that also were working on the X1X in early 2017.

If the next gen comes out and Sony has an upgraded PSVR and Xbox still has nothing, I will probably buy a PS5.