Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I know you get absolutely slaughtered for even hinting that you don't care about VR on this forum but I don't care about VR..I just hope it's not a big focus of PS5. Everything else sounds pretty in line with what I was guessing, Fall 2020 probably $499. Hopefully BC beyond just PS4, I'd love to see high quality enhanced PS1 emulation on this.

There's not caring about VR and then there's hoping it dies and others not able to enjoy it. One is fine and the other is just childish.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Nah. It's a different market that 2013. People are used to paying $1,000+ for their phones now. A super powerful console at $500 can do just fine. Especially since they will almost certainly be a 24 month payment plan or some shit.
Yeah I seriously want this officially from Sony. Combine a monthly payment plan for 2 years with 2 years of PS+ and you can make getting the new console day one really attractive, even if the RRP is 500 or whatever and maybe higher than is ideal. Let's say hypothetically a £500 console and £50 a year PS+ Premium, that's only £600 which is £25 a month for 2 years. Most people would jump at that sort of contract to get the console day one.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ray Tracing
Faster SSD tech than any PC can run currently
8K support
etc

$1000 console confirmed? Theres is NO way they can retail hardware like this for $400-500 in a small console box at that.
they are going to 7nm from 28nm. thats a 4x chip size reduction. the Pro was 4.2 tflops on a 16nm chip at $399. X1X was 6 tflops on a 16nm at $499.

Going from 16nm to 7nm should allow them to at the very least double the number of compute units which should give us as 12tflops GPU. Combined that with power efficiency improvements and they should be able to put the clock speeds even higher. Expect 14-15 tflops console in a $499 box.

SSD prices are dropping fast. you can get a 1TB SSD for $80. Sony should be able to get a better deal on it. Compare that to $40-50 regular HDDs and you are looking at roughly double the cost. Not worrying about the $399 price tag lets them go for a fancy SSD and a fancy cooling system like the vapor chamber cooling in the X1X.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
That $499 price is sounding real

Fine with me. This is a console that will last the next 8+ years. I would rather have them go all out the the hardware with a higher price at launch.

The price can always come down over time. Certain hardware features, like the CPU and other key technologies, can't simply be added later on. This console will serve as the baseline for most developers going forward. Giving them a higher minimum bar to work with makes everyone's game better.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
I doubt this is going to be less than $500 but I doubt it's more either so it is in all reality probably going to be $499, which is fine this isn't 2013 anymore. Hell my iPhone cost $1200 and I don't even do anything with it, I think $500 for a console you are going to keep for 5-7 years is probably not that big a deal to many. Sony also doesn't need the "THIS COSTS $399" thing this time especially since this thing is BC to a console that by the time this comes out is probably going to have 110+ million users.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
I can see where the "it's gonna be $500" is coming from but the release is probably more than a year from now and eating costs and bulk discounts are a thing so I wouldn't count $400-$450 out yet.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon if Sony launches a cent over $399, they'll show us they learnt nothing.
The price was one of the lesser reasons that PS4 did so much better than XBox One at launch. And we live in a different world now, where the generations aren't as fully separate from each other. We already have two power-levels of PS4 with games fully working with both and taking advantage of the extra power, and we know PS5 is going to be fully backwards compatible. Likely most new games will be written to work on both PS4 and PS5, with more features on PS5, and only the occasional exclusive. So PS5 becomes an option for those who want to spend more money, and for people who want to pay less, they can get a PS4 Pro.

Consoles are becoming PCs, where most games work on most PCs, but take advantage of whatever hardware you have. It's my thinking that when they release PS5, they will phase out PS4 so PS4 Pro will be $350, PS5 $500 or $550. Then after a few years they can release a PS5 Pro, and PS5 will drop in price and they'll phase out PS4 Pro.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the people wanting 399. Why do you even want a ps5?
With inflation that's cheaper than the PS4 was at launch.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this basically forces MS to announce something at E3, which they may not be ready to do yet. It's a smart move.

Not a smart move for a console that might release in 2020. Microsoft can smile and see "you'll see" and after a few months of the too-far-off PS5 dominating the hype cycle, everybody will have eyes on Microsoft in the run-up to a release to a Sony console, and that's a poor PR cycle position to be in. It's more likely that Sony did this to put a damper on Microsoft's current goodwill momentum what with positive stories about Microsoft plentiful in the press and Sony being the target of an unhealthy amount of negative press as of late.

And they got hella flak for it once MS started pumping out BC left and right. You can bet your ass they're gonna jump on that bandwagon

Unlikely. People are going to ask why they don't care about it now and why they didn't start as soon as they were able. They had the last few years of positive BC press and planning the PS5 to try and push out PSX and PS2 compatibility for PS4 (it can't be that hard; they had a SOFTWARE emulator available for the Cell processor in short order) just to convince people that they're serious about that level of BC, rather than say "hey, we're fully committed to letting you play legacy Sony software...on our next console," which is why I don't think we'll see any real effort to expand compatibility with a legacy library outside of existing PS4 titles and anything else that can be played on PS4, which is par for the course, considering the PS3->PS4 generational switch was a hard ecosystem reset.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
and just like that

214712.gif

Lmao. Let the gif wars begin!!!
All of that sounds great!

Are they just getting ahead of the inevitable devkit and spec leaks, just like MS did with Scorpio? Maybe they also felt they had to respond in some way to all the Stadia news and Microsoft's assurance that that they will go with streaming and consoles next gen?

Either way, I like the openness even if this PS5 reveal feels a bit random right now.

In the article it mentioned Sony is getting dev kits out faster, so this is a good guess.

Hopefully they opens the flood gates for some actual other leaks.

Waiting to hear about ram now....

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Exciting news. Would buy day one for:

-BC with PS3 games
-Performance enhancements for PS4 games (specifically Bloodborne and RDR2)

Otherwise, I'll wait it out.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
I am excited for hardware 3d audio to be standard next gen. Let's get some 'real' surround headphones too!

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it is actually unreasonable.

Flash memory / SSD pricing is absolutely crashing right now, so a fully SSD based unit is probably going to be totally feasible, certainly by fall 2020.

Secondly, I must explain SSD on PC and why this is both faster than any current common PC SSD in most situations, though we should certainly see a PC implementation soon enough for faster PC SSDs as well.

Regular SATA SSD/HDD/etc is limited to ~550MB/sec or so of bandwidth, and is transferred through the chipset itself on your board, which is then passed to CPU. Can't get any faster, as that is the practical limit of SATA AHCI 6GPS.

The past couple of years have seen direct PCIe bus-interface SSDs emerge, in X1, X2, and X4 variants. These types can hit 3000+ and use the same bus your GPU uses, natively connected to the CPU for extremely fast speeds. Current spec is PCI Express 3.0, but, Ryzen 2 is supporting PCIe 4.0, basically double the bandwidth.

More crucially however, is the number of lanes. In most common consumer PCs, you have only 16 PCIe lanes. When you're using more PCIe devices than you have lanes for, a certain amount of bottlenecking is there. Now higher end designs alleviate this. Socket 20xx Xeon gives you 40 lanes. Ryzen gives 24 lanes.

Hypothetically, an 8x NVME SSD could hit 6,000MB/sec with no problem on existing 3.0 boards (20xx or Ryzen, the 16 lanes on consumer line Intel such as I have in my gaming rig may not be able to do so without compromising a bit).

Further, an 8x NVME SSD on PCIe 4 should be potentially 12,000MB/sec. Now, I don't believe this would be the case for PS5, as that would mean more traces, more PCB complexity, and thus more $$ than really necessary focused on something like that. So, much more likely this is a PCIe 4.0 X4 interface yielding ~6,000MB/sec. VERY quick, and something that IS technically faster than current PC performance, at least until Ryzen 2 pops out a couple of months from now, AND then when 4.0 speed SSDs are produced by Samsung/etc.
I mean sure, and the PS5 can also be 999$, everything's possible!

I'm actually positive the PS5 will have SSD drives by default, I just don't believe it will be as complex as what could potentially be achieved on 500+ motherboards with dedicated lanes for the SSD itself to show very little gains over your regular, now low cost (1 tb for 99$), 2280 NVMe ssds.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Pretty much everything I want just a tiny bit disappointed that it sounds like a brand new PSVR isn't in the cards for launch.

Still have my fingers crossed though that it's just headset backwards compatibility and an updated PSVR will still be available.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I don't get about Backwards compatibility is, don't you need publisher permission to make them games backward compatible for new hardware. Don't Xbox have to get permission for each 360 game released on Xbox one?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
With these specs I wonder if they will do a ps5 pro as well. If so I might just wait for that. Idk though the system seems future proof if it's going to be 8k capable

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a smart move for a console that might release in 2020. Microsoft can smile and see "you'll see" and after a few months of the too-far-off PS5 dominating the hype cycle, everybody will have eyes on Microsoft in the run-up to a release to a Sony console, and that's a poor PR cycle position to be in. It's more likely that Sony did this to put a damper on Microsoft's current goodwill momentum what with positive stories about Microsoft plentiful in the press and Sony being the target of an unhealthy amount of negative press as of late.

This is sarcasm, right?

Deleted member 27315

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
-PSVR2 in 2020 also,reveal with ps5,big resolution boost probably 2560x1440,120hz,220 field of view,eye tracking,wireless,battery life 4-5 hours,headphones integrated,less motion sickenss,no breaker box,much less cable management,much more focus on VR for aaa games,price around 250$

Damn…

it sounds more like 1000$, and This comment about VR is why I don't think he is actually trustworthy

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
According to what rumor mill? Last I heard MS was still pretty confident they'd have the power edge next round.
There are lots of rumors going around, but I'm just going by what Phil Spencer actually said last E3. Microsoft "will once again deliver on our commitment to set the benchmark for console gaming." It also seems highly unlikely both next Xbox Skus will be weaker than PS5. Lockhart maybe, but Lockhart and Anaconda?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Backwards compatibility was the key to next gen.

Why would I, Mr Casual Consumer, want to switch to Xbox or PC and lose all of my COD, Madden, and Fortnite stuff when the PS5 will play what I already own right out of the box?
Suuurreee because that worked out so well for PS3.. It's nice but less important for many people than new games and features. Also price.

Deleted member 25042

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It might release a year and a half from now and we're missing a lot of info (what kind of SSD, dedicated hw for RT or not?, RAM, CPU/GPU perf ..)
Who knows what the price will be (even if $499 wouldn't surprise me)..