• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
See? This is how this is horrible.
I am a PC-only gamer.
So now I am celebrating that eventually Elder Scrolls 6 will come to gamepass (that will be costing close to 50 bucks because of "value") with no good modding because Microsoft hates the idea that I own my PC.
Ok, and then "your move sony lol" gets Capcom so now I am fucked and goodbye to Resident Evil.

How is my life better?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
This is unfortunate for the gaming industry. It's a massive publisher that will no longer be making their games available on other systems.

It's not as bad as if they were bought by Sony, since at least the games are coming to PC (thank goodness), but it's still locking people out of the franchises they know and love, and I have a hard time being excited about that.

Man, what a huge deal this is, though. One of the biggest bits of gaming news in as long as I can remember.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand, I don't like this.
On the other hand, Skyrim and both their Fallout games sucked big time so, not a big loss.

BUT, on the third hand... Fallout back to Obsidian ? : O

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So when the Demon's Souls rumor on PC/other consoles was a thing (which I always thought meant PS4) everyone was like "it's not gonna be on Xbox Sony owns it", but when MS pays 7 billion for Zenimax suddenly it's "TES can still be on PS5"? The goalposts, they move so fast. XD

Bethesda stuff is gonna be XSX/PC most likely and folks need to be ready for that if they still want to play their games, since it will be down to MS to decide if they want to allow it on Nintendo and Sony stuff going forward (my money is on XSX, PC and Switch successor given their relationship with Nintendo lately).
There is probably an Elders Scroll PS5 version in the making as well as PC and XSX so people can make a safe bet its still coming. The next iterations are what will likely be xbox/PC only.

There is no moving the goal post. Things happen like this when a 3rd party is purchased with pending projects.

I expect for all future Bethesda games to be xbox and pc exclusive. No reason to release on PlayStation, their number 1 competitor.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
This move reeks of desperation more than anything else, especially considering I don't think there's any way AAA titles like Fallout or Elder Scrolls will be console exclusive to Xbox alone.
That's a lot of money left on the table.

Kudos to MS for having the balls to pull it off though. Trying their best to make things spicy this gen! Feels like the early 2000s all over again
Desperation?
Sarcasm?

I expect for all future Bethesda games to be xbox and pc exclusive. No reason to release on PlayStation, their number 1 competitor.

I wonder if Sony is really their competitor. MS has a completely different goal.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There's always xCloud where you can play on a low-spec device of your choosing :)

No need for a mythical $5000 PC.

One of these days y'all are going to learn that digital-only and game streaming aren't viable for consumers who live in cities monopolized like garbage ISPs like Comcast. I get dinged every month with massive fees for data overages. It's not fiscally viable to add even more to my data usage footprint because Comcast will just beat me up even further than they already do.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Eh, as long as PC games still release and they are moddable (which I strongly suspect due to Skyrim/Fallout 4 mod support on Xbox), I don't reckon this really changes much for the majority of Bethesda's communities.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I am a PC-only gamer.
So now I am celebrating that eventually Elder Scrolls 6 will come to gamepass (that will be costing close to 50 bucks because of "value") with no good modding because Microsoft hates the idea that I own my PC.
Ok, and then "your move sony lol" gets Capcom so now I am fucked and goodbye to Resident Evil.

How is my life better?
There's a 99% chance they'll still sell the games on Steam, too

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
On one hand, I'm pissed that this means less games on PlayStation. On the other hand, I'm excited at the real possibility of Obsidian working on Fallout again.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
EicoEn6XsAAo6Mz

They aren't coming out on ps5

Its time for acceptance

That's not what that says. Wasteland 3 just came to Game Pass day one, and also launched on PS4 concurrently.
I think Sony's "exclusivity" deals with Ghost Wire and Deathloop are probably going to disappear over the coming months, but I don't think they will come exclusively to XBOX either.
EDIT: Or maybe not. Hard to keep up with this news. Moving too fast.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I wouldn't worry too much about the big Bethesda titles becoming console exclusives - Microsoft isn't dumb, and keeping the next Doom, Fallout or Elder Scrolls game off of PlayStation 5 would cause them to lose out on literally billions of dollars. I'm sure new IPs will remain exclusives though.

It's shocking how good of a deal Game Pass will be now with all past and future Bethesda IPs on the service.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Mark my words their goal is to be the #1 Games Software company only. lol They will still make a console, But their games will be on all systems. This is their endgame. This literally is now turning into MS vs Apple redux. MS is platform agnostic, Nintendo and Sony are walled gardens(however i see sony doing more select PC releases in the future)
Agree. This is absolutely their end game.

Game Pass says it all.

The next 10 years will be interesting....very interesting.....

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Like i'm saying to some friends on discord. Nintendo and Microsoft have at least a way better relationship than Sony and Microsoft do. Hell Nintendo got Banjo (for smash), Cuphead and the Ori games. So I see this move as more of an FU to sony and nintendo will still probably get games like they have from microsoft.
The relationship seems one-sided to me.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing The Outer Worlds I thought, now that Obsidian is owned by MS, Sony really needs to get some deals for WRPGs like this that are missing from their catalogue. Now that Bethesda is owned by MS, well shit I guess.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Elder Scrolls and Fallout are my two favorite IP's. Nothing else is close for me. I've always been happy as can be in the Sony ecosystem. This sucks for me personally on a fundamental level.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I am a PC-only gamer.

How is my life better?

this would depend on if the game is still available on steam, which it very well could be

although, bethesda has indicated in the past they want a piece of the modding pie so...

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
The best part of this news is the probable death of the Bethesda game launcher.

Fuck the Bethesda game launcher.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I am a PC-only gamer.

How is my life better?

I agree with the general sentiment, but MS has been pretty thorough about also releasing their games on Steam.

Isurus

May 21, 2019
As a Game Pass subscriber, I'm simply jacked about this announcement. The service, which already had a lot of value, just because an amazing value. Great news. The timing of this being right before pre-orders launch for the XSX and XSS can't be a coincidence...

MS, now it's time to give Obsidian another crack at Fallout.

Oct 28, 2017
They said they didn't want a platform war. Meaning console war, but gamepass is different. Also Sony almost forced their hand on this aquisition considering all the timed exclusives Sony keeps buying up.

LOL at Sony forcing their hand into the biggest purchase in gaming history. MS has as many if not more timed exclusives on Series X as Sony has on PS5.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am a PC-only gamer.

How is my life better?
You get to try out Bethesda's next pseudo-RPG at very low cost before committing the money for the (perfectly moddable) Steam version

An opportunity I sure wish I had with Fallout 4 and Fallout 76

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
damn, this is crazy, wonder why zenimax would even want to sell, but good for them.

great now we get escalation, sony goes and buys CD Projeckt Red or something and everyone loses

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
Also Sony almost forced their hand on this aquisition considering all the timed exclusives Sony keeps buying up.
Timed exclusive bullshit with a smoke and mirror approach so you never know or get information about any other platform release have pissed me off to no end and I've hated everyone doing that, which have mostly been Sony lately.

MS buying out bethesda stops those dumbass exclusive deals for these games at the very least, so as a PC user, more power to them.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
This is insane. If anyone was in any doubt about how serious they are about making Series S / X a success, doubt no more.. their first party offering just became so much stronger. It puts them in a better position if we move towards that Netflix / single platform future too.

I hope they continue to allow ports that make sense, and continue partnerships with the likes of Panic Button - I won't hold my breath, but I hope they do..

CyclotronHGA

Oct 26, 2017
So worst case scenario is that Bethesda games don't show up at all on the PS5, best case scenario is that they are a 6-12 month timed exclusive on XSX or, better yet, stay day and date with PS5. Do we know which it is yet?

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
TES and Bethesda Fallout is pointless to me without amazing community mods. If things change so it has to be on Microsoft store, with little focus on other stores (no creation kit since modding isn't a thing with Gamepass), I won't even look it's direction.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
Like i'm saying to some friends on discord. Nintendo and Microsoft have at least a way better relationship than Sony and Microsoft do. Hell Nintendo got Banjo (for smash), Cuphead and the Ori games. So I see this move as more of an FU to sony and nintendo will still probably get games like they have from microsoft.
Sony has literally signed a big deal with MS for Azure. Their relationship is fine.

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Do people not realize that these sorts of games are what get people to buy consoles? I am buying a ps5 just for Demon's Souls. And I can fucking guarantee you people WILL buy in the xbox ecosystem for Elder's Scroll 6 or Starfield. Microsoft understands that. Sony doesn't sit and say "hey guess what ND games could sell even more if we released them on Xbox too", no they understand these are the GAMES that compelled people to buy into the playstation ecosystem in the first place.

I had no reason to buy an xbox series X, and I have my ps5 preorder already in, guess what, once ES6 is out, i'll be buying an Xbox. This is the strength of this acquisition.

These are huge franchises.... and with titles that define game generations.

Oct 27, 2017
I am a PC-only gamer.

How is my life better?

Microsoft titles are still releasing on Steam unless they change their mind and go Game Pass only, but their stuff is pretty successful on Steam, so...

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TES and Bethesda Fallout is pointless to me without amazing community mods. If things change so it has to be on Microsoft store, with little focus on other stores (no creation kit since modding isn't a thing with Gamepass), I won't even look it's direction.
Microsoft releases their games on Steam, doubt that is going to change with Zenimax's stuff.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018

Honestly I'm glad MS bought them. These shitty exclusivity deals are annoying.

With this purchase at the very worst you'll play all these game day one on the Xbox family of consoles AND PC.

Having to wait less than a year to play the game on your favourite platform is ok, but depriving a whole other segment of the market of said game is a yes...The logic here -or its absence, rather- is baffling...

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Huge get and Phil fully deserves credit for pretty much making the biggest industry move in modern gaming history. Gamepass instantly becomes a bigger deal than it is with this acquisition and pretty much solidifies how Sony will likely be forced into moving into a Gamepass model in a few years time.

Pull Jim Ryan's pants down while you're at it, Phil.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, what do you expect when you start playing the exclusivity game? This is huge and gamepass keeps getting better. PS5 will be fine. In an ideal world they would all launch the same day on every platform but this is still a competition.