• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 1, 2018
I just found out that it won't be available in Germany at all due to some beef Facebook is having with the Federal Cartel Office. I decided to import it either from the UK, Austria or the Netherlands, but you have to do it from a retailer. If you change to another region in the Oculus store, add it to your basket and set "Shipping to Germany" it will automatically delete it from your basket...
wow that sucks:( did you order from another amazon site in germany?

jim2011

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't warn me when purchasing the quest battery strap but even if so, take a look at the picture below. Just unplug the battery cable and plug in the Oculus Link one. This thing better support passthrough charging.

Quest-2-with-Elite-Strap-Battery-accessory-scaled.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds really good. I'm really considering preordering to replace my Vive.

Link cable was already pretty good with quest 1. Resolution was fine, tracking was excellent with the more recent updates. And the lenses were fantastic in comparison to Vive (IMO). Overall I think the quest 1 was already an arguably better option than the Vive. Quest 2 definitely. And (again IMO) wireless VR is good enough where that can really elevate some experiences. HL Alyx wireless in my spare room was an amazing experience.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It didn't warn me when purchasing the quest battery strap but even if so, take a look at the picture below. Just unplug the battery cable and plug in the Oculus Link one. This thing better support passthrough charging.

USB C port on the back makes me think it will do passthrough charging, just not data.

I wish these types of actual use cases could be tested in these articles. I guess oculus didn't ship the accessories?

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

You can even see the port at the back of that strap to plug in a cable for passthrough, so I don't really understand why it couldn't take a Link cable?

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Tempting, but that one review that compared the tracking between Q1 and Q2 in Beat Saber is disappointing. Does it have less sensors than the Quest 1 or something?

Any other reviews that compare tracking?

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad I sold my Quest a couple of months ago. I'm glad to be out of that ecosystem.

The only thing that pains me is thinking about how good Virtual Desktop will be with this. I'm using a pulley system with my Index and it's pretty nice but obviously no wires would be much better.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
For people like myself that use Virtual Desktop for remote pc play the VD devs said it will get much better with the Quest 2.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered just the 64GB version. My Quest 1 still has over half the storage space left.

Battery life: Don't care. Never played longer than an hour or 2 when untethered, and I can just plug it in to charge while playing just like I do currently.
Strap: Don't care. I've never had any issues with comfort with any VR headset, I must be lucky. Also, since when did Quest 1 strap start receiving praise?
Case: Already have one that's relatively generic so will probably fit this just fine.

This is gonna be great. I think even my parents are interested in this after having a blast on my Quest 1 over the summer.

For people like myself that use Virtual Desktop for remote pc play the VD devs said it will get much better with the Quest 2.

Huge. VD is already so good. Better than Link even in my testing/environment.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Went for the 256gb version as I have to assume native Quest 2 games are going to get bigger than Quest 1 stuff.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
So as i asked in the other thread, about that 2k per eyes. Is it effective in games ? By that i mean is the Quest 2 powerful enough to output that or is this (like i think it is for many things on the go that i have) a case where many games won't just natively render at that resolution ?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Norm from Tested said existing prescription lenses for the quest will work with the quest 2

Wi-Fi 6 sounds promising but I might need to buy a Wi-Fi 6 access point. I tried using my PC onboard Wi-Fi before and it caused horrible hitches so an external router/access point might be a better option. My main router is in another room so that wouldn't work great

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If I'm mostly using the Quest through PC link, is there any particular reason I shouldn't go with 64GB instead of 256?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm mostly using the Quest through PC link, is there any particular reason I shouldn't go with 64GB instead of 256?

I don't think so. It is a shit move for them not to have a 128 option but either way I think 64gb is fine for most people unless of course you travel a lot and want to load it up with media.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

Nah. I still have like50% of my storage left after having a 64GB Quest 1 for a year. I have a dozen or so games on there, the usuals; pistol whip, beat sabre, etc. Most games aren't very big, though that could change. Hardware wise it should be identical to the 265GB, so if you're barely playing onboard, no real reason to get the bigger one other than potentially higher resale value down the line.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL

Probably not. I wont be using the link for a whole (until i get a new video card) but i decided to cancel my 256 and go for the 64. I put the money toward the elite strap/battery set. I feel, outside of a pistol whip and beat saber, i dont need to keep my system full of games.

Soggoth

Oct 29, 2017
So, erm, is this requires good PC or the Quest 2 alone runs the game? I assume the second variant since it's wireless? I'm VR noob, help :P

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So, erm, is this requires good PC or the Quest 2 alone runs the game? I assume the second variant since it's wireless? I'm VR noob, help :P

The Quest/Quest 2 have their own growing library of games, many shared with the Rift (downgraded on the Quest). But if you want to play Steam VR games like Half Life: Alyx, you need a Link Cable and a PC with decent enough graphics.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wish theyd do a new Rift S which is just the Quest without all the hardware inside. I don't really care about cordless VR until it can play stuff like Alyx.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Someone over on r/oculus asked Norm from Tested how this compares to the HP G2, his response:

old.reddit.com

TESTED: Oculus Quest 2 Review

Posted in r/oculus by u/notdagreatbrain • 509 points and 401 comments

caveat: my G2 experience is with the pre-production prototype.
- G2 resolution is still noticeably better, and feels more vibrant to me too.
- sweet spot on Quest2 much better than G2
- Q2 elite headstrap preferred over G2 headstrap, but G2 is less front-heavy

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
I wish theyd do a new Rift S which is just the Quest without all the hardware inside. I don't really care about cordless VR until it can play stuff like Alyx.

Well they also announced that they are discontinuing the Rift product line in 2021 and they will no longer build PC-only VR headsets.

It makes sense since the Link works very well and is only going to get better (In addiition to a future of wireless streaming)

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
You can even see the port at the back of that strap to plug in a cable for passthrough, so I don't really understand why it couldn't take a Link cable?

In the shopping cart section, it say's that the battery strap will not support passthrough with Oculus Link.
Can't see that message anymore because its out of stock for me though. Weirdly lacking information on the product page.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How can these motherfuckers check it's my real name?
I recall reading you can easily fly under the radar.. until someone reports you. I actually experienced this with my first Facebook account where I used a realistic pseudonym, Facebook locked my account under suspicion and demanded I send them a photo of my ID to prove it was a real name and otherwise revoked access to my account.

At $300 I'm super interested, as an offline-only sideloading headset. Facebook mandate is such a shame.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do these come with headphones? The only reason I haven't upgraded my original Rift is because all the headphones have been a downgrade after it.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I recall reading you can easily fly under the radar.. until someone reports you. I actually experienced this with my first Facebook account where I used a realistic pseudonym, Facebook locked my account under suspicion and demanded I send them a photo of my ID to prove it was a real name and otherwise revoked access to my account.

At $300 I'm super interested, as an offline-only sideloading headset. Facebook mandate is such a shame.
given the recent changes with things from facebook in regards to developer accounts and their stances on sideloading, I wouldn't buy a quest 2 expecting to be able to side load anything.

Do these come with headphones? The only reason I haven't upgraded my original Rift is because all the headphones have been a downgrade after it.

has built in speakers with a jack for other headphones.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
I mean, if you're going to buy games for it they're going to notice your credit card isn't registered to "Bloke McBlokington" too.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
given the recent changes with things from facebook in regards to developer accounts and their stances on sideloading, I wouldn't buy a quest 2 expecting to be able to side load anything.

I took it as a given with the topical timing of the recent news that developer accounts (and sideloading) now requires either a credit card or phone number verification, but noted. I own a DAS already so it'll perfect if they don't lock it down.