• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Its great news about all these vaccine, whats sad is that you can see that if there is money to make the ll put the ressource to find a solution while in the meantime less desirable disease affecting millions of poor people are usually cast aside because no buck comes from that

Kubuh

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Sweden has had a huge decrease in cases and hospitalizations in the last 3-4 weeks and it's a bit unclear why but if anything the holidays most likely helped since people didn't go to work and because of that meet less people. Estimates are currently from the contact tracing that's done that about 40% of transmissions happen at work.
Testing positivity has gone down from just over 20% to about 11% last week and anyone that wants to get a test can get one with no issues everywhere in the country.

Case numbers are now down to what they were in late October/early November and less than half of what they were the last week before the holidays. The worry is that they will start going up again now that all the holidays are over but it's been 3-4 weeks of work now and it's still heading down.

MB8rjOK.png

New ICU admissions have seen a dip that's looking just like it did in the Spring, if not even steeper. The pink line is a 7 day average, the gray columns at the end are the last 3 days and are most likely incomplete. Two regions are already down to 0 people in ICU again

zvc67bd.png

Hospitalizations excluding ICU is on a similar trend to ICU as well. A decrease of 1000 people from the peak on January 4th.

6vsFfHd.png

Vaccinations are ongoing even if it's quite slow like most of EU. 230 068 people (2.82%) with dose 1 and 18 923 people with dose 2 (0.23%) as of today.
By age group the numbers looked like this at the start of this week, we should hopefully start to see a decrease in deaths shortly because of this. About half of the deaths are in elderly care homes still and the vast majority of people there (that want the vaccine) have received the first dose by now.

RxelyUu.png

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
The overall efficacy of the J&J vaccine may not be quite as strong as we'd like, but two lines from the CNN article stood out to me.

"That trend increased over time, with no severe cases in the vaccinated group after day 49, according to the company.

From one month after the shot, all hospitalizations and deaths occurred in the placebo group."

So in around the time the two shot vaccines are fully protective anyway it got your body ready to fight off any severe cases and one month in there were zero hospitalizations or deaths. That's awesome. Would I rather have the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Ya, I would. If I can't get those quickly though, would I take this one? In a heartbeat.

Kubuh

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Moderna is supposed to more than double the deliveries to Sweden from the week starting Feb 8th (Planned delivery next week is 94 770 Pfizer, up from 67 275 this week, and 15 600 Moderna, week after that is 94 770 Pfizer and 39 600 Moderna), I'm guessing that will be affected by this.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+5023 new PCR cases (615202 total)
+83 deaths (19254 total)

Total vaccinations 724371
Rate of transmission is 0.91
3116 people in hospitals
548 in ICU
378 on ventilators

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Missouri lagging but my family doing ok. My cousin and her husband, plus my sister got vaccinated due to medical field work. My mom and her husband getting shots today, aunt and uncle next Wed, another aunt already done b/c school.

Progress! Also glad that aunt/uncle decided to roll with the microchip in their vaccine.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Can someone explain the effectiveness ratio of the J&J vaccine to me? I am confused here, so if i understand this correctly, it is only 66% effective across the board, right? But at the same time they claim 100% of the people that took it did NOT get hospitalized with Covid or died right? So what exactly DID happen to the remaining 34% of the people where it was not effective then? They got a mild case? If so, then that would still be fantastic!

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone explain the effectiveness ratio of the J&J vaccine to me? I am confused here, so if i understand this correctly, it is only 66% effective across the board, right? But at the same time they claim 100% of the people that took it did NOT get hospitalized with Covid or died right? So what exactly DID happen to the remaining 34% of the people where it was not effective then? They got a mild case? If so, then that would still be fantastic!
Yes, they got a mild infection.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Yes, they got a mild infection.

Ok, thanks. Well, "mild" still sucks as it can be like a flu i suppose which can be pretty bad. It beats the more severe courses though for sure. Do you know how the Pfizer/Moderna ones fare as far as the 5% are concerned where it doesn't prevent an infection? Mild case as well?
One thing to consider with this is that with only 66% effectiveness you can still catch a mild case rather easily with the J&J vaccine. And while they are mild, we do know that even mild cases can have some longer lasting consequences like Long Covid or other undesirable reactions of your immune system. This needs to be studied a lot more of course but the takeaway message may be that people who may be more susceptible to these reactions may want to hold off on easing up on the measures just because they are vaccinated with J&J vaccine. I know i would until we know a whole lot more about how a mild case can affect our organism in the long run.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, thanks. Well, "mild" still sucks as it can be like a flu i suppose which can be pretty bad. It beats the more severe courses though for sure. Do you know how the Pfizer/Moderna ones fare as far as the 5% are concerned where it doesn't prevent an infection? Mild case as well?
One thing to consider with this is that with only 66% effectiveness you can still catch a mild case rather easily with the J&J vaccine. And while they are mild, we do know that even mild cases can have some longer lasting consequences like Long Covid or other undesirable reactions of your immune system. This needs to be studied a lot more of course but the takeaway message may be that people who may be more susceptible to these reactions may want to hold off on easing up on the measures just because they are vaccinated with J&J vaccine. I know i would until we know a whole lot more about how a mild case can affect our organism in the long run.
None of the properly vaccinated people - ie those following the rules outlined for the vaccination - that got Covid got a severe case, so all vaccines protect against bad cases.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Joni do we have any idea how many AZ vaccines will be given to EU on Monday? (or if they will send any at all this week now that its approved).

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
The overall efficacy of the J&J vaccine may not be quite as strong as we'd like, but two lines from the CNN article stood out to me.

"That trend increased over time, with no severe cases in the vaccinated group after day 49, according to the company.

From one month after the shot, all hospitalizations and deaths occurred in the placebo group."

So in around the time the two shot vaccines are fully protective anyway it got your body ready to fight off any severe cases and one month in there were zero hospitalizations or deaths. That's awesome. Would I rather have the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines? Ya, I would. If I can't get those quickly though, would I take this one? In a heartbeat.

To go far and wide you need an easily transportable single shot vaccine. The biggest issue is to get this in the hands of places that can't afford to have the Pfizer and moderna storage and distribution architecture. The fact that it prevents hospitalization and is ~70% effective is more than good enough for everywhere if we can get enough people to take it

Swimble_87

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Hi all,

Dropping by with a random question - has there been any research that anyone is aware of as to whether Covid-19 has the potential to enter a state of dormancy post-infection? (Thinking about it in a similar way as something like chicken pox, where it can enter dormancy and resurface later!)

I've done a little bit of google research only but not seeing anything very clear so far one way or another, just wondered if this rung any bells with anyone! The question just popped into my head earlier and got me curious!

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
No. At least I know Belgium hasn't received any delivery numbers for the next weeks. Not even information if AZ will deliver next week.
Found this in a bloomberg article yesterday before AZ started to say more, but I expect similar number:

www.bloomberg.com

AstraZeneca Discloses EU Vaccine Contract After Supply Spat

AstraZeneca Plc bowed to pressure from the European Union and published its contract for the delivery of Covid-19 vaccines to the region as tensions escalate over an expected shortfall in supplies.

Pascal Soriot, Astra's chief executive officer, has said that once the company gets EU approval -- expected Friday -- it will ship at least 3 million doses immediately, with a target of 17 million by February.

So 3 million on Monday (so around 70k for Belgium, 280k for Spain). (I am assuming the total population of the countries gettnig the vaccine being the same as the entire EU which is 446, and then rounding down. With a proportional giveaway according to population.

And on a per week basis (17-3)/4)=3.5 per week to reach 17M at the end of February. So more or less extra 70k Belgium/ 280k Spain a week. If they do not add more.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Found this in a bloomberg article yesterday before AZ started to say more, but I expect similar number:

www.bloomberg.com

AstraZeneca Discloses EU Vaccine Contract After Supply Spat

AstraZeneca Plc bowed to pressure from the European Union and published its contract for the delivery of Covid-19 vaccines to the region as tensions escalate over an expected shortfall in supplies.

So 3 million on Monday (so around 70k for Belgium, 280k for Spain)

And on a per week basis (17-3)/4)=3.5 per week to reach 17M at the end of February. So more or less extra 70k Belgium/ 280k Spain a week. If they do not add more.
So for February, that comes down per million about 10K Pfizer, 7K Oxford, 2K Moderna per week. Moderna and Pfizer's scale up will be interesting for March, especially if J&J is in at that moment.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So for February, that comes down per million about 10K Pfizer, 7K Oxford, 2K Moderna per week.
So around 2% (1.9%, but i assume Pfizer should ramp up even more) of the population a week to get dose 1?
That would put us more on lesso n track to Spain "target" for phase 1 (ca. 5% of the population by end of March). Somehow Spain read the delays.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
By the way, for easy reference, Belgium's dashboard tracks deliveries as well.

covid-vaccinatie.be

Dashboard Covid Vaccinations Belgium

Current corona vaccination figures for Belgium in a clear dashboard. Daily updated and maintained by volunteers.

So around 2% (1.9%, but i assume Pfizer should ramp up even more) of the population a week to get dose 1?
That would put us more on lesso n track to Spain "target" for phase 1 (ca. 5% of the population by end of March). Somehow Spain read the delays.
Maybe a bit sooner. And then the big ramp-up from mid-March to end of May.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, for easy reference, Belgium's dashboard tracks deliveries as well.

covid-vaccinatie.be

Dashboard Covid Vaccinations Belgium

Current corona vaccination figures for Belgium in a clear dashboard. Daily updated and maintained by volunteers.

Maybe a bit sooner. And then the big ramp-up from mid-March to end of May.
Seems to me that the Spanish target plan was actually decent? This is a first.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+4626 new PCR cases (619732 total)
+74 deaths (19326 total)

Total vaccinations 761283
Rate of transmission is 0.91
3075 people in hospitals
533 in ICU
359 on ventilators

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Hi all,

Dropping by with a random question - has there been any research that anyone is aware of as to whether Covid-19 has the potential to enter a state of dormancy post-infection? (Thinking about it in a similar way as something like chicken pox, where it can enter dormancy and resurface later!)

I've done a little bit of google research only but not seeing anything very clear so far one way or another, just wondered if this rung any bells with anyone! The question just popped into my head earlier and got me curious!

I'm not an expert but I listen to TWIV, it looks like they got this question from a listener in April.

Short version, we don't know for sure, but other coronaviruses don't act that way and there's no evidence that SARS-CoV-2 does this, so they deemed it unlikely.

Skip to 1:39:10

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
There's another big protest happening in Vienna right now. It was instigated by the right-wing party and is attended by about 5.000 COVID deniers, antivaxxers, Christian extremists, neonazis, and other useless pieces of shit.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yes only thing that need correction is, like all vaccine so far, it's effective at 66% against COVID symptom. (so either covid free or asymtomatic)

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hi all,

Let's just hope not.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+3823 new PCR cases (623541 total)
+29 deaths (19355 total)

Total vaccinations 785588
Rate of transmission is 0.94
2901 people in hospitals
519 in ICU
355 on ventilators

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Seems the situation in portugal is escalating very fast thanks to the UK strain :(

Saw some reports the whole country only has 7 ICU beds left so the german army is providing doctors, ventilators and beds to portugal as it is starting to calm down here.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Seems the situation in portugal is escalating very fast thanks to the UK strain :(

Saw some reports the whole country only has 7 ICU beds left so the german army is providing doctors, ventilators and beds to portugal as it is starting to calm down here.
It's crazy, yes. It's also really sad how "normal" these news have become over the last year :(

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has had two negative rapid tests within the last week. She's taking a PCR this week, but we feel pretty confident it's not COVID, just allergies or a sinus infection. Cedar is pretty bad right now in the area. We have still been staying home anything, although that's been business as usual for us.

Oct 30, 2017
BioNTech announced that they are going to deliver 75 million additional doses in Q2 (Europe)

This is part of the 200 million doses that the EU recently ordered and they are arriving faster than anticipated.

German news:
www.spiegel.de

Biontech will 75 Millionen zusätzliche Impfstoffdosen liefern

Wenige Stunden vor dem Impfgipfel mit der Kanzlerin verspricht das Mainzer Unternehmen Biontech eine deutlich größere Impfstofflieferung an die EU. Allein für Deutschland soll es im Frühjahr knapp 14 Millionen Dosen mehr geben.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU

Yeah i suppose this is what happens when you are NOT being pro-active with these new strains... Germany at least was, for once. Fearing for other EU countries in the coming weeks that aren't in lockdowns currently.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Nigeria is currently in its second wave as is a lot ofcountries in Sub-Saharan Africa. This is most likely due to the emergence of the new variants.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Caught a local health department post on Facebook and was instantly disgusted. I think the comments were 1:10-20 saying the virus and vaccine were fake or unsafe.

"the vaccine is killing everyone"

And all the other usual stuff.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering what the impact of this big storm will be in the US. While people will stay home and not spread Covid as much we also are losing multiple days on vaccinations and testing.

Cyborg009

Oct 28, 2017
Parents got the first dose last week and will get the second one in a few weeks which is great but getting the initial vaccine was a pain. I because had to wait until the hospital tweeted out that they had opening which only lasted for about 2-3 mins. It's still extremely sad that Florida is so open that 100-200 people are dying a day and no one gives a damn until it's someone close to them.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Hundreds arrested at anti-lockdown demonstration in Brussels
Police arrested at least 488 people demonstrating in central Brussels on Sunday against measures to curb rising infections of the coronavirus, according to local media.

Both Bruzz and Le Soir reported the arrests occurred as police broke up demonstrations around Brussels' central train station and the Mont des Arts area. No charges have been so far reported.

Sunday's crowds were made up of both Dutch- and French-speaking demonstrators, which included Yellow Vest protesters and football supporters, a police spokesman told Bruzz. The demonstration was over by 3 p.m. local time.
Reuters reported that police in riot gear faced thousands of protesters in Vienna, including a demonstration by the country's far-right Freedom Party.

Reuters also reported that some 30 people in Amsterdam were arrested in the latest round of Dutch demonstrations and police sent around 600 protesters home. Dutch authorities are hoping to avoid a repeat of recent violent protests that led to looting in several cities across the Netherlands.

In Budapest, authorities confronted distressed restaurant workers, according to the Associated Press. Hungarian workers in the hospitality sector are calling for civil disobedience in response to pandemic restrictions that limit restaurants and cafes to takeout services.
www.politico.eu

Hundreds arrested at anti-lockdown demonstration in Brussels

Protests were forbidden by police amid concerns about spreading coronavirus.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
In Belgiums case, they simply arrested everyone that showed up. They won't be charged with anything because they were arrested before they could do anything.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+3114 new PCR cases (626645 total)
+34 deaths (19384 total)

Total vaccinations 796075
Rate of transmission is 0.95
2865 people in hospitals
531 in ICU
355 on ventilators

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium will start vaccinating first line healthcare, like GPs, dentists, home nurses, ... on 15 February.
Also some positive news, the profile of people being hospitalized/dying is changing. Less and less people from retirement homes, so vaccination is working. (Some retirement homes had active outbreaks, so the hospitalisations/deaths are coming from those)

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Swedish news is reporting that the UK variant has mutated again. Does anyone have an english source for this?

gerg

Oct 25, 2017

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Massachusetts:

500,415 Total Cases
+2,270 Today

14,317 Total Deaths
+30 Today

Vaccine:
484,829 1st doses administered
122,652 2nd doses administered

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
NJ Daily Numbers:

+2811 new PCR cases (629369 total)
+71 deaths (19 total)

Total vaccinations 824028
Rate of transmission is 0.95
2892 people in hospitals
516 in ICU
366 on ventilators

I want to believe these case numbers are legit but I'm guessing there is a bunch of noise from the storm.