• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really freaking out this morning about this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/30/cor...s-as-farms-idle-countries-hoard-supplies.html
A food crisis looms as coronavirus forces farms to stay idle and countries hoard supplies
Staying at home works as long people can buy groceries, when food supplies get scarce, violence and rioting will be a matter of time. Shit is gonna be bad.

Social media in my country has detected some users calling for looting and robbing stores, and we still have food in the stores, wait until money actually runs out and the shelves are empty.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quite a photo:
EUXaT1VXkAAgP_d

Thanks for sharing.

I'm tired of people acting like this...

Saw this FB video that I guess was filmed yesterday of some guy in Brooklyn walking towards some small hospital. "Not I'm not trying to downplay this, but the democrats (gotta get that namedrop in!) are not making hospitals into the 'warzone' that it seems". Small hospital... only walks around the outside perimeter... just points out there's no line to get tested (and we have no idea if they ran out of tests) and people calling him out in the FB live chatfeed like "why don't you go IN the hospital", and it's just all outside. So I guess this is getting shared to discredit democrats/media/etc., because of course.

I'm so sick and tired of seeing "democrats" tied to things like this...

Destroy your Facebook account, or unfollow the people sharing that video. This isn't healthy.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Staying at home works as long people can buy groceries, when food supplies get scarce, violence and rioting will be a matter of time. Shit is gonna be bad.

How about not jumping into the unknown future?

EDIT:
As of now, disruptions are minimal as food supplies have been adequate.

But price spikes are more likely for higher value products like meat and perishable commodities rather than for major staples which are still in adequate supply, said the FAO.

Right now, it's ok.

blakeseven

Apr 9, 2018
I can't find the answer any kind of definitive answer on google so I thought I'd try here: do natural hand washes kill covid? I'm talking about hand washes like this: https://www.priceline.com.au/palmolive-naturals-mild-sensitive-liquid-hand-wash-250-ml I saw one yesterday for cheap and I picked it up but then I later noticed it said 100% soap free so I have my doubts. If anyone can give me some guidance on this I'd much appreciate it, thanks.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
How about not jumping into the unknown future?

EDIT:

Right now, it's ok.
I'm jumping into conclusions about stuff happening now in my country. A guy was arrested in my state when he was identified as a leader of a looting attempt this week, got the heads up from the police since I used to cover that source in my former job.

eluniversal.com.mx/opinion/hector-de-mauleon/el-tiempo-de-las-hienas

Google Translate does a decent job but I'm having a hard time posting the translated link.

Protein

Oct 27, 2017
Should I buy a mini freezer to store extra frozen food? Or too crazy? Worried that this stuff will be scarce after those articles.

painey

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out my best friend in New Jersey tested positive, which almost certainly means his girlfriend and brother have it too. Not to mention he was at work until 5 days ago doing orthopedic surgery with a bunch of old doctors. Oh boy. Luckily he's not feeling too bad from it all.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wisconsin feels like it's doing alright so far. Crazy how close to Illinois we were and now they have 5x more cases and many more deaths.

Yah. I'm really hoping (unrealistically) that MN/WI can hold strong and not be too bad. Partially because I live here, but also if Mayo, 3M, Honeywell, Medtronic, etc. can keep their head above water locally, they can source the areas getting slammed.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
That's an insane ratio of positive to negative testing, isn't it?
Yeah, it's not good. Mass testing isn't really working out, but the virus is likely far more widespread than than the numbers suggest. Bergen County is in bad shape and the people living here don't really seem to be taking it seriously enough. There are so many dumb fucks going out shopping for bullshit because businesses basically get to decide whether they consider themselves essential. Our county executive tried a harsh retail shutdown 2 weeks ago, but got overruled by the governor, who then took a week before he put in a much softer lockdown.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Destroy your Facebook account, or unfollow the people sharing that video. This isn't healthy.

I'm annoyed but that's it, it's not like it's changing my mind or effecting my mental state. I see enough stupid stuff all the time online, I don't need to "destroy" accounts because I am seeing stupid things like that. It's better to know that these things happen than not, to see how others view it, as stupid as it might be. Knowing that it makes the rounds and being able to critically think about it using both common sense and real-life facts is how you can roll your eyes and move on.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
You know what? I'm really not capable of holding a good conversation right now because I'm so messed up and this close to the fucking edge. I cannot deal with this right now. We are fucked. May as well just end it right now because shit is that bad. Everyone is dying due to carelessness in the first place. It's over and I don't see how this can be stopped.

What's even the point in discussing this since a good chunk of us are going to die soon? I don't have a lot of hope.

I'm not trying to be a dick to you but you've really got to calm down. Every word you've used is hyperbole and provably not true. Making the problem out to be worse than what it actually is isn't going to help you, me or anybody through this. For one, you should really look at what the actual mortality rate is on this disease. We're not all going to die.

As someone who caught coronavirus and recovered, I can assure you that most people who catch it recover and don't suffer severely. The vast majority don't in fact. We're concerned for everyone who isn't like me and has existing health conditions that could cause the virus to be especially dangerous to them.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017

Here is a question though what are the number of death of people who had similar symptoms as Covid-19 for last 2 months? There is NO way virus was absent for 3 months in the closest country to China, I understand that its not question about borders but transit as well however it is still highly unlikely that its started pop out now, especially since whole thing started they had only 21testing lab for whole country which also has 30% if being faulty.

I'm pretty sure half of population already have been infected so for me its not a question of how many they catch but how much damage have been done?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
Here is a question though what are the number of death of people who had similar symptoms as Covid-19 for last 2 months? There is NO way virus was absent for 3 months in the closest country to China, I understand that its not question about borders but transit as well however it is still highly unlikely that its started pop out now, especially since whole thing started they had only 21testing lab for whole country which also has 30% if being faulty.

I'm pretty sure half of population already have been infected so for me its not a question of how many they catch but how much damage have been done?
Siberia isn't especially close to Wuhan. And Russia's population is in its European part. There's not much reason to think Russia got exposed early because of geography.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It's the mechanical action more than the 'chemical' action of handwashing that kills microbes. It's like putting them through meat grinder.
Actually, it's the chemical action that breaks down the lipid layer holding the virus together. That's what takes twenty seconds to happen, hence the timing.

But yes, Dawn works just as well at breaking that layer down as soap, it should work fine.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's the mechanical action more than the 'chemical' action of handwashing that kills microbes. It's like putting them through meat grinder.
Where are you getting this from that it's the mechanical action?

I thought it was the chemical reaction with the lipids based on this source:

www.nytimes.com

Why Soap Works (Published 2020)

At the molecular level, soap breaks things apart. At the level of society, it helps hold everything together.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

Population distribution is a thing. Russian population is mainly in the European part with the closest part to China being very underpopulated.

That is not to say that Russia probably hided some cases of coronavirus previously or undercounted them as pneumonia.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who caught coronavirus and recovered, I can assure you that most people who catch it recover and don't suffer severely. The vast majority don't in fact. We're concerned for everyone who isn't like me and has existing health conditions that could cause the virus to be especially dangerous to them.

While I agree with your general sentiment, it's also good not to be complacent or understate the risk. This virus is hitting young people hard that have no underlying health conditions. The video of the NYC doctor that made the rounds spoke to this fact with some alarm. I'm happy that you recovered with no serious conditions, and yes the mortality rates are still comparatively low, but not everyone will be so lucky as you. That's why the best course of action is to just stay at home and wait this out.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
Unbelievable... my landlord has hired painters to come and paint my house next week. Says they will also have to come inside and use the bathroom. I told him I would rather wait after this has blown over. Am I overreacting?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear you recovered, what were your first symptoms?

Oct 7, 2018
USA
I'm working at a major hospital and they are disciplining employees for wearing masks unless directly taking care of confirmed Covid 19 patients. We currently have 50 confirmed cases and over 40 waiting test results. Those are just the patients admitted, no telling how many are in the ER as I type this.

Meanwhile other major hospitals in the area are mandating every employee wear masks at all times. You get one mask for a five day period.

This is also what they are trying to do at my wife's hospital in northern Ohio. We were lucky enough to grab a couple 10 packs of N95 masks before this all really kicked off into full gear.

My wife works part time two 12 hour shifts per week in the ICU and starting last week she began wearing a mask at all times while in the hospital.

Her supervisor immediately told her to take it off saying it was only allowed if she was directly caring for a Covid patient but she refused saying that she brought it from home so it's not wasting hospital stock and that if they don't like it she'll be happy to go home, if they want to fire her to go ahead and do so because she will make more money as a travel nurse probably coming back to the same hospital.

Apparently it was all bark and no bite because she hasn't heard another word about it since standing up for herself.

The bottom line is health care workers are being infected at a tremendously fast rate because these hospitals are breeding grounds for this thing.

Everyday Math

Oct 25, 2017
Unbelievable... my landlord has hired painters to come and paint my house next week. Says they will also have to come inside and use the bathroom. I told him I would rather wait after this has blown over. Am I overreacting?
Wisconsin has an order that landlords and such can't come into you apartment unless it's for immediate maintenance during the epidemic.

Does your state have that? Maybe you could contact a city or state official If he won't listen to you. Cause fuck that.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not trying to be a dick to you but you've really got to calm down. Every word you've used is hyperbole and provably not true. Making the problem out to be worse than what it actually is isn't going to help you, me or anybody through this. For one, you should really look at what the actual mortality rate is on this disease. We're not all going to die.

Getting on someone else's case during a time of heightened worry and anxiety isn't going to help either. Let's move on from this now, thank you.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
Siberia isn't especially close to Wuhan. And Russia's population is in its European part. There's not much reason to think Russia got exposed early because of geography.
Population distribution is a thing. Russian population is mainly in the European part with the closest part to China being very underpopulated.

That is not to say that Russia probably hided some cases of coronavirus previously or undercounted them as pneumonia.

Distance matters very little when you have a bunch of Russian students who either study in Wuhan or have been there for school/Uni break.

Same with people from my country in Kazakhstan quite a lot of them study in China, I would have exuded this if Wuhan was not a megacity so that why its a big possibility.

Plus somebody mentioned pages ago that there a was a Russian report where they notice a bit of spike of fatalities from Pneumonia this year in comparison to previous one, not huge but a difference.

Its just how late both Russia and my country started not to act but to look for the cases, we had a saying "Coronavirus is there where they can find it and if you don't search it elsewhere means its not there at all". Thats why for me news about new cases its not news at all what I'm more interested what already have been done.

Still it is possible that its appeared now due to population distribution but I would not bet on that.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Tell them they can piss outside, you don't mind (assuming they're all dudes). We just had people come over to fix a leak on our roof and the workers were very understanding. We handled all communication over the phone and they asked if they could piss on our retaining wall so they didn't have to come inside.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
Thanks guys, I hope they're willing to delay it or else I'll have to ask that they use a portable toilet
Wisconsin has an order that landlords and such can't come into you apartment unless it's for immediate maintenance for right now.

Does your state have that? Maybe you could contact a city or state official If he won't listen to you. Cause fuck that.
I'm in the Netherlands, not sure if there are laws here for that actually

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
So many leaders thought they will get away with hiding/ignoring the virus and they're learning now the hard way. I guess you can't just shut down a virus like you do with your political adversaries and journalists.
Well, Hungary takes the Corona opportunity to be able to shut down opposition and journos with ease in the future. Won't probably the last political leader to use this.