• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Testing everyone without symptoms would be a waste of tests. Considering there is a shortage why waste them?

Testing everyone who had a contact with an infected case is what helped South Korea contain it very well. But it's obviously not an approach that can be done when there's a shortage.

Why I'm asking is that the fact that Germany is testing extensively was used quite often as an argument in this thread, so I was surprised that's not the case in reality.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo governor has asked for self-lockdown for the next two weeks, and has warned of a proper lockdown if enough measures are not taken. Will probably have to do the latter. Also it's now pretty clear that were waiting for the Olympics to get delayed to take proper measures.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Testing everyone who had a contact with an infected case is what helped South Korea contain it very well. But it's obviously not an approach that can be done when there's a shortage.

Why I'm asking is that the fact that Germany is testing extensively was used quite often as an argument in this thread, so I was surprised that's not the case in reality.
They test 160k per week which is more than south korea but it doesn't matter because there are more infected in SK.

Lets say every infected has been in contact with 5-10 people since getting infected and you would look at numbers to test that are nowhere close to realistic expectations.

Testing people who had direct contact with someone positive, doesn't sound like a waste to me, more like preemptive. And actually what South Korea has done right
SK had a very limited outbreak which is why it was possible for them to test everyone.
You can't test 350000 people because they were in contact with someone but feel well.

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Testing people who had direct contact with someone positive, doesn't sound like a waste to me, more like preemptive. And actually what South Korea has done right
Difference is, South Korea employed that strategy as soon as it was clear China would not be able to contain it, and they saw the first few case in their country, when they did not have a shortage of tests. Unfortunately, us in the west are way too late for that. Too many asymptomatic people around now and too few tests.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
They test 160k per week which is more than south korea but it doesn't matter because there are more infected in SK.

Lets say every infected has been in contact with 5-10 people since getting infected and you would look at numbers to test that are nowhere close to realistic expectations.

That means that there are way more infected people with symptoms in Germany than totally infected in SK for example. And hopefully the ones without symptoms who had contact with and infected case are really respecting the quarantine, because that's also a very big number then.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Tokyo governor has asked for self-lockdown for the next two weeks, and has warned of a proper lockdown if enough measures are not taken. Will probably have to do the latter. Also it's now pretty clear that were waiting for the Olympics to get delayed to take proper measures.
I guess they were also suppressing daily case count until today... Sadly measures taken today will only start showing in the results in a week or longer, meaning that we will probably go to 100+ cases a day in Tokyo within the next few days.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I thought Germany is testing extensively.
Extensively compared to some other countries maybe. But overall not really. You pretty much don't get tested at all until you have symptoms and direct contact to someone who is already proven to have the virus. It's different for medical professionals of course.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Just entered lockdown here in New Zealand as the COVID-19 alert has been raised to Level 4 and a state of emergency has been declared.

We will be in lockdown for at least 28 days. You can only have close contact with the people you are staying with. You can only leave your home for essential purposes like to visit the grocery or pharmacy. All events are cancelled. All bars, shops, gyms, museums, cafes, restaurants, pools and places of public gathering are closed. Police have the power to close roads, and fine or detain people not following lockdown rules, and shut down public gatherings. Defence Force personnel being called on to enforce the lockdown is a possibility. Hotels are being requisitioned by authorities to use as quarantine accommodation for New Zealanders returning from overseas. NZD$12 billion has been allocated so far as income support for individuals whose income has been disrupted by the effects of the virus (eg tourism, entertainment, hospitality). Mortgage payments and rent increases are frozen.

Today we hit 200 cases. No deaths at this stage. The lockdown is unprecedented but necessary and I'm impressed at our government's response. As with the mosque shootings last year our Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has been decisive, pragmatic, compassionate and genuine about this challenge and what it asks of us. She even held an impromptu livestream from her house while wearing a sweater, to answer questions and figuratively tuck us all in before lockdown.

I feel like I'm in safe hands. We're lucky to have her and the current government. I look at countries with thousands of cases of rampant community transmission and their leaders can't even agree on a plan of action, or if they have, it's come too little and too late. I see Trump bumbling his way through this crisis which has exposed deep deficiencies in US public healthcare, infrastructure and employment, talking about getting back to work when the pandemic has barely started, and it's staggering seeing just how truly incompetent he and his administration have been.

I've put together a makeshift home gym made of a folding ladder, garden fork, yoga mat and storage boxes. My friends are planning online events like quiz nights and sharing music demos for people to contribute to.

It's gonna be tough but we'll get through.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
3.166 in ICU (+530 since yesterday)

IMO this is the worst piece of information. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it might mean we're not as close to reaching the peak as we were hoping...
And it means the ICU services are being pushed to their limits as well.

————————

Forgot to mention it but this basically also means we now have 2 countries with more deaths than China.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
At this point i don't know how iran could fight with this. With idiots in government + hardest sanction by us + many travel by people for new year we are doomed.
It's gonna be a rough few months for everyone, but this will end. We'll all have to pick up the pieces together, but it will end.

Duebrithil

Oct 25, 2017
3.166 in ICU (+530 since yesterday)

IMO this is the worst piece of information. Hopefully I'm wrong, but it might mean we're not as close to reaching the peak as we were hoping...

The president of Generalitat de Catalunya has warned that some models place the peak at the end of April if we don't adopt stricter measures. He feels that confinement must be enforced be everybody except essential services and that a basic universal income should be established.

Frankfurter

Oct 27, 2017
No, these are exactly the current RKI numbers:

RKI - Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 - COVID-19: Fallzahlen in Deutschland und weltweit

Regionale Verteilung der COVID-19-Fälle weltweit

They update the online overview each morning (not midnight).

Yeah, I got it now. It's just the number displayed on this page doesn't mean that all of those tests were from the previous day; see RKIs extra website: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/478220a4c454480e823b17327b2bf1d4

Due to this, we will only be able to tell if the curve flattens (or even goes down) after a couple of days, e.g. once ~all of the actual positive tests are also reported to RKI. Looking at the numbers right now, it seems that Germany may have hit the highest new infections numbers around 18.03.-21.03.2020.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
14de758ea7fa7864153ccbd8c95716ee03fd6d45_900.jpg

Welp, Russia jumped from 50+ yesterday to +163 cases today. Probably why local hospitals got quarantined here in my city today. My aunt visited my uncle in a hospital yesterday (nothing serious, just broken bones) and stayed the night, today she can't get out for two weeks. The whole hospital got quarantined. Still only 2 (official) cases in the city I live, but I imagine that big boost in the coutnry overall forced the government for more drastic measures.

Oh dear. Stay safe, mate. All the best to you and yours.

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
"In my particular case, with my history as an athlete, if I were infected with the virus, I would have no reason to worry, I would feel nothing, or it would be at most just a little flu" - Bolsonaro

Not sure if this was talked about. Brazil has a population of over 20 millions over the age of 60.

www.france24.com

Bolsonaro urges Brazilians to get back to work, says concern over coronavirus overblown

As Brazil's largest city went into lockdown, President Jair Bolsonaro on Tuesday took aim at the "hysteria" over the coronavirus and urged that life must continue and jobs be preserved.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
At this point i don't know how iran could fight with this. With idiots in government + hardest sanction by us + many travel by people for new year we are doomed.
Problem is people still behave like idiots unfortunately and went to charshanbe suri and visiting the families for new year. This will have a massive impact in 2 weeks

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
There should at least be an immune test for people who come out of a quarantine.

My 2-week quarantine is nearly over, I didn't get tested and I don't know if I had a mild corona infection or just a normal cold/flu. The thing is, I am in the high-risk group and I am deadly afraid of going back into an office with 100 people who sit next to each other.
If I knew that I am immune, I would have no problems going back to work.

But I have no way of knowing that and many people are in the same situation as me.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
I hope people who live in Tokyo will finally stay indoors this weekend. Supposedly, government asked people to not go to parks to see the Sakura and do picnic but people ignored that and last weekend it was full of people. Even the park near my apartment was full today.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
There should at least be an immune test for people who come out of a quarantine.

My 2-week quarantine is nearly over, I didn't get tested and I don't know if I had a mild corona infection or just a normal cold/flu. The thing is, I am in the high-risk group and I am deadly afraid of going back into an office with 100 people who sit next to each other.

But I have no way of knowing that and many people are in the same situation as me.

where are you located?

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017
"In my particular case, with my history as an athlete, if I were infected with the virus, I would have no reason to worry, I would feel nothing, or it would be at most just a little flu" - Bolsonaro

Bolsonaro is acting even worse than Trump. Are the population happy with him or will they finally sack at the next election?

Last edited:

LastCaress

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Being immune is not the only problem, you could be shedding the virus even after those 14 days and be contagious to other people.

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Portugal:

2995 confirmed cases.
+633 since yesterday (big increase and new record here).
43 deaths
+ 10 since yesterday.

63 people in the ICU currently.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017

Call your Dr., explain him the situation. He will likely give you 2 weeks of sick leave (Krankenschein). Or he will send you to get a test (not likely). Just call him and don't ask the internet.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting on my son's test from Friday (South Florida). He had symptoms and Doc ordered a test. They said 5-7 business days which could be Monday. My household is fully quarantined. I was exposed to him 6 days ago when he returned home, so just holding my breath.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I hope people who live in Tokyo will finally stay indoors this weekend. Supposedly, government asked people to not go to parks to see the Sakura and do picnic but people ignored that and last weekend it was full of people. Even the park near my apartment was full today.
It's gonna rain this weekend so hopefully that dampens the hanami numbers.

hEist

Oct 26, 2017
I already got my 2 week sick leave.

and? if it's a serious situation (regarding your health / preexistence conditions) he will give you 2 more weeks or he will send you to get a test.

*edit*
and you should also call you company / hr and also explain them the situation. They surely also don't want to risk you or others.

Last edited:

lemming

Oct 27, 2017
Bolsonaro is acting even worse than Trump. Are the population happy with him or will they finally sack at the next election?

Unfortunatelly, some local shops are already reopenning and there are people on the streets today. Direct results of his speech. This is in direct conflict with the regional government's orientation.

Hopefully the way he is handling this crisis will have a negative impact on his re-election attempt.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Curious how cases of daily infection suddenly doubled in Tokyo a day after the Olympics were postponed. Funny that 🤔

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I already got my 2 week sick leave.

That won't be enough..

Can't you stay in quarantine? I don't know where you live, but we should all stay home. Is your job labelled as essential?

Bigjig

Jun 4, 2018

Luckily it's forecast to rain Saturday and Sunday in Tokyo so hopefully that'll put a dampener on peoples plans

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Can't help but think the US struggles with slow moving tragedies. Gun violence is a decent example of this. I really fear for policy being driven by hope rather than dealing with where the difficult to deal with facts are pointing to.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

Hana-Bi

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

The problem is that you have to be tested multiple times to be sure you aren't positive. If your first test is negative it doesn't mean you don't have Corona. Germany let's people self-quarantine for 14 days who had contact with positive cases. That should be enough to reduce the risk.

People who wants to know if they are positive needs to pay for the tests though - with the same problem of false negative results which could risk more infections down the road.