• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Guys, I know this is a habit of mine, but a lot of times, I miss sticky threads because they're there for so long that you don't pay attention to them, but we have a Fold@Home thread on the top of this page. If you have a decent gaming PC, come help out instead of just feeling helpless and watching the news.

www.resetera.com

Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra Folding@Home Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause. COVID

With the announcement that the Folding@Home project will be adding the 2019-nCoV virus, otherwise known as Coronavirus, as one of their fields of research, I figure now's a better time than ever to get back into donating those spare CPU & GPU cycles. What is Folding@Home? CORONAVIRUS – WHAT...

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
In an emergency situation hording bottled water when you don't need it leads to people who need it not having it. It's not that hard to understand.

Don't need it? Bottled water is no Toilet Paper, it is a staple food.

Either:

- tap water is safe to use and drink, and any scenario where a person needs access to water has it available in form of tap water, People buying bottled water have no impact on that.
- tap water is not safe: everyone is in the same boat, they need water for their everyday need and they have to buy it in the store. There are no masses of people hoarding bottled water, it is just the reality of "just-in-time delivery" Stores run out of drinks, but you can buy other beverages or wait a day for them to restock it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I think the worst part is that there is no light at the end of this tunnel. Like i dont even know if society as we know it will still exist if there is an end to all of this
Stuff like this seems a bit overdramatic considering how many extremely deadly pandemics humanity has already been through. This is going to kill a lot of people, but it's not like it's the plague which may have taken out over 20% of the world's population at the time. Society will make it through this.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
For christ's sake, I'm not criticizing people for buying bottled water.

I'm telling you that saying things like "I'm not a savage, I won't drink tap water" won't help you at all, because for some of us it isn't a matter of taste or being a savage.

Then I am sorry. The savage remark is an in-joke from my office between coffee drinkers and coffee haters.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Probably not the best time/place to bring up the historical socio-economic impact of this (especially with lord knows how many months left), but is this the biggest "news story" since WW2? It honestly feels that way, but there's some very obvious recency bias here.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Don't need it? Bottled water is no Toilet Paper, it is a staple food.

Either:

- tap water is safe to use and drink, and any scenario where a person needs access to water has it available in form of tap water, People buying bottled water have no impact on that.
- tap water is not safe: everyone is in the same boat, they need water for their everyday need and they have to buy it in the store. There are no masses of people hoarding bottled water, it is just the reality of "just-in-time delivery" Stores run out of drinks, but you can buy other beverages or wait a day for them to restock it.
It's almost like the supply chain in connected and if people horde it in one place, other places will have less of it.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stuff like this seems a bit overdramatic considering how many extremely deadly pandemics humanity has already been through. This is going to kill a lot of people, but it's not like it's the plague which may have taken out over 20% of the world's population at the time. Society will make it through this.

sorry things just seem so fucking dire. And people storming grocery markets like its the apocalypse isnt making me feel any better lol

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Lots of people in Cali are about to freak out because of our stupid crazy temperature changes. We just had weeks of summer weather and now we are heading into a week of rainy winter weather and I already have a runny nose.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

Depends on the severity. Other plagues may have killed way more people but our interconnected world and economy will be hit hard.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I'm trying to see the positive in this pandemic right now, and the more I think and read about it, the more I think this has the potential for systemic change.

The way it looks right now we should expect 60-70% of the populations to get infected. If we want to spread that load on our healthcare system so they can keep up, this will mean months, maybe even years of considerable economic shutdown.

This means that our economic system will pretty much collapse and basic necessity will require us implement a wide array of social system ranging from healthcare, to sick leave, to basic income, to childcare programs etc.

At the same time a lot of industries will simply go bust and require public investments to be revived. A huge opportunity to undo the mistakes of the past and re-nationalize many industries, which will then allow us, on a global level, to make the necessary investments and restructurings that are required to combat climate change.

One of the major reasons political science finds as to way necessary change hasn't occured over the past decades is the prisoners dilemma. A game theoretical concept refering to the fact that every country acting first(invest in green energy, end fossil fuels etc.) is going to suffer a huge disadvantage compared to all the others who don't act. So no one acts.

This massive health and financial crisis now puts basically the entire world into the position of overcoming the prisoner's dilemma by using this crisis as the point in time to make the necessary reforms to set us on a rational path for tackling the problems of the 21st century.

Like in Naomi Klein's shock doctrine. But this time we don't spread even more neoliberal fiscal policy, but undo all this shit again.

Seriously, I think this crisis, as terrible as it is, is also a huge chance for us. There won't be another opportunity to enact widespread systemic reforms as good as this one for at least 2-3 decades.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems like French governement will announce total lockdown in a few hours. ?

I hope.. It's necessary.

Edit:
Guys, I know this is a habit of mine, but a lot of times, I miss sticky threads because they're there for so long that you don't pay attention to them, but we have a Fold@Home thread on the top of this page. If you have a decent gaming PC, come help out instead of just feeling helpless and watching the news.

www.resetera.com

Help science fight the Coronavirus! Join the ResetEra Folding@Home Team today and donate your computer's CPU and GPU cycles for the cause. COVID

With the announcement that the Folding@Home project will be adding the 2019-nCoV virus, otherwise known as Coronavirus, as one of their fields of research, I figure now's a better time than ever to get back into donating those spare CPU & GPU cycles. What is Folding@Home? CORONAVIRUS – WHAT...

Cool! What is decent? My PC is okeyish... It can run some games!

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of people in Cali are about to freak out because of our stupid crazy temperature changes. We just had weeks of summer weather and now we are heading into a week of rainy winter weather and I already have a runny nose.

We just went through that in Illinois. Last weekend it was close to 60 degrees. Yesterday it fucking snowed all day.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I'm baffled at the number of people who think this is all a hoax and in every way a strategy to prevent Trump from winning a second term. I thought these people were just trolls at first but no, they actually believe it. Friends of friends on Facebook are posting dumbass stat spreadsheets about how H1N1 was a more serious threat yet nobody took Obama to task over it. Wut? Lol. I just don't know how to argue with these types of morons. It's like bringing a knife to a turd fight.

Imagine honestly believing that thousands of people who have no say in your country's presidential election have died to remove Mr. Orange from office. My head hurts.

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm going in tomorrow to tell my boss that I'm either working from home or taking off the next week or so. My parents are both high risk individuals(blood pressure, diabetes, smoke between the both of them). And I'd never forgive myself if they got it. I'm just worried because he's being a hardass over it and making light over the whole thing. I work for a freight brokerage so 100% of the work is over phone and computer.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to see the positive in this pandemic right now, and the more I think and read about it, the more I think this has the potential for systemic change.

The way it looks right now we should expect 60-70% of the populations to get infected. If we want to spread that load on our healthcare system so they can keep up, this will mean months, maybe even years of considerable economic shutdown.

This means that our economic system will pretty much collapse and basic necessity will require us implement a wide array of social system ranging from healthcare, to sick leave, to basic income, to childcare programs etc.

At the same time a lot of industries will simply go bust and require public investments to be revived. A huge opportunity to undo the mistakes of the past and re-nationalize many industries, which will then allow us, on a global level, to make the necessary investments and restructurings that are required to combat climate change.

One of the major reasons political science finds as to way necessary change hasn't occured over the past decades is the prisoners dilemma. A game theoretical concept refering to the fact that every country acting first(invest in green energy, end fossil fuels etc.) is going to suffer a huge disadvantage compared to all the others who don't act. So no one acts.

This massive health and financial crisis now puts basically the entire world into the position of overcoming the prisoner's dilemma by using this crisis as the point in time to make the necessary reforms to set us on a rational path for tackling the problems of the 21st century.

Like in Naomi Klein's shock doctrine. But this time we don't spread even more neoliberal fiscal policy, but undo all this shit again.

Seriously, I think this crisis, as terrible as it is, is also a huge chance for us. There won't be another opportunity to enact widespread systemic reforms as good as this one for at least 2-3 decades.

Unfortunately none of that will happen unless everyone in charge straight up die. I get your line of thought but there's way too much money involved.

You have the US trying to straight up buy/poach the lab/vaccine from Germany, we ain't changing.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Should I continue to order food as normal to help support local businesses and my stomach? Before they're locked down entirely?

(SF bay area)

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
sorry things just seem so fucking dire. And people storming grocery markets like its the apocalypse isnt making me feel any better lol
They're not really storming it like it's the apocalypse, they're just storming it like they may not be able to leave the house for several weeks and they don't want to run out of food. This wave of panic buying is only slightly more intense than what would happen before major hurricanes where I grew up in Florida lol. Like, I don't want to underplay the severity of what this will bring because we're in for some rough years ahead, but it's far from the end of the world. Human history has a lot of rough years.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Got a Dentist appointment Tuesday (Boston area). The close contact of the appointment made me a little nervous but at least the ADA says (and I agreed with their reasoning) dental appointments shouldn't be very risky even with close contact with the dentist. Dentists sterilize just about everything constantly, use fresh/clean/sterilized tools for everything, the offices themselves rarely have more than a few people in them at a time, and the dentist/techs are the only people you have close contact with (and they all wear face masks that they should know how to properly wear).

Full time WFH now so basically just have to be cautious about grocery store trips, and hopefully the panic buying dies down 'cause our fresh veggies are not so fresh now and people can only panic buy for so many days before they discover they have an insane amount of food.

Wife is probably not able to do full time WFH but thankfully her office is rather large for the number of people due to her work type so limit contact with people.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really worried about St. Patrick's Day - I know some have been partying this weekend, but I imagine Tuesday night some will be out there partying and increasing the rate of spread. I've tried to convince my circle of friends to stay home as much as possible, and encourage them to tell others too.

The problem is this is a public health concern where everyone needs to play their part. It's not being taken seriously enough by some, so government ought to step in and enforce a shutdown of non-essential places. With the exponential spread, it's like one bad apple can spoil the bunch, and each of those other apples in the bunch have their own bunches they will end up spoiling, and so on...

The landscape is going to change drastically in the next ~2 weeks, where many citizens and those in power will regret the current decisions being made.
My friends in Colorado were doing this exact same thing. I'm in LA and I've stayed inside since Friday morning. Well except to walk my dog. I read we are tracking ahead of Italy in terms of infections.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Unfortunately none of that will happen unless everyone in charge straight up die. I get your line of thought but there's way too much money involved.

You have the US trying to straight up buy/poach the lab/vaccine from Germany, we ain't changing.
In Germany we are already debating nationalization of several industries. (And idea brought forward by our minister of economic affairs and energy, a member of the center right CDU, Merkels Party)

My point is that there will simply not be a way around these measures. They question whether we want to go back to the system we had before once the crisis is over. Or if we keep iterating on the system we had to build.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Germany we are already debating nationalization of several industries. (And idea brought forward by our minister of economic affairs and energy, a member of the center right CDU, Merkels Party)

My point is that there will simply not be a way around these measures. They question whether we want to go back to the system we had before once the crisis is over. Or if we keep iterating on the system we had to build.

I should've been more specific. Yes, you have a point, some might indeed choose to change. Overall I don't think it will be the norm, and in some places even those that are willing to change will find roadblocks from others that still profit from the old ways.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
They need to.

Here's Paris today despite the recommendations to stay at home:

it's same in german cities atm.

but i think it's a combination of nice warm weather today and sunny in germany and france and a lot of continental europe as to why people are out.

i am guilty of it myself but i was just in the park down my street along the river reading a book. didn't go close to the centre or use public transport, used my bicycle of course.

the only way they will stop people is curfew enforced by police patrols

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this all districts in erie county or just Buffalo? My mom is a teacher at Clarence and last I heard from her they are still open.

Well Clarence officially has a case now. But all schools are closed for Monday to meet with the county exec to discuss next steps. Other districts closed indefinitely, others 1 week.