• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
It's ridiculous how reluctant the US and the West are being to test people for the virus when you consider that SK is carrying out thousands of tests every day.

I also wonder this to. I have fellow nurses saying, "There are no confirmed cases in our area! Nothing to worry about!" Well of course there are no confirmed cases because we are unable to test for it because of these restrictions. There is proof of community spread and even Americans in other countries testing positive. Why can't we test anybody that has symptoms, regardless of travel or contact with others ,if we feel the need to? They say we are limited on supplies is the reason. Why are we limited on supplies?

Resetti

Oct 25, 2017
Some updates from Hong Kong - 18-month baby test positive & 4th death recorded.

And then this happened earlier...

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
My brother just told us that washing your hands won't help because a guest on Joe Rogan said it's airborne. I can't deal with this lol. I'm concerned my parents are going to listen to him. I don't think he or my parents are stocking up on groceries or necessities like even a little bit.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
Anything essential and non-essential

Bread
Rice
Pasta
Yogurt
Lentils
Milk
Eggs
Meat
Over the counter medication
Toothpaste
Tissue
Kleenex
Water
Frozen foods
Fruit
Vegetables

Even fucking soda and potato chips!!!!

Ya it's ridiculous

This is even worse than when Harvey was slamming Houston
That's crazy!! Wtf is wrong with people!!

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
I'm really nervous about going in to a medical facility for my blood work and been postponing it cuz it's in an area with quite a few infections
Which means I cant renew my drugs
And i can already feel the effects on my body
I really need to do it before the situation gets worse ugh

OP
OP
wandering

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
My brother just told us that washing your hands won't help because a guest on Joe Rogan said it's airborne. I can't deal with this lol. I'm concerned my parents are going to listen to him. I don't think he or my parents are stocking up on groceries or necessities like even a little bit.

Tell him that's the equivalent of not wearing your seatbelt because you'll die anyway in a head-on collision with a semi.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm part of a nextdoor group in an austin suburb and someone was bitching about HEB being low on stuff and how everyone was panicking over nothing and then wrote: "That said my allergies are kicking up so tomorrow I'm going to go cough all over the store so I'll have it to myself."

And people responded saying they should do the same.

America is doomed, we are too stupid.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm part of a nextdoor group in an austin suburb and someone was bitching about HEB being low on stuff and how everyone was panicking over nothing and then wrote: "That said my allergies are kicking up so tomorrow I'm going to go cough all over the store so I'll have it to myself."

And people responded saying they should do the same.

America is doomed, we are too stupid.

nextdoor is nuts right now, like way crazier than normal

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Does anyone understand the difference between old coronavirus and new coronavirus?

There's multiple different types of coronavirus. Coronaviruses get their name because they look like the top of a crown.

The three biggest ones are SARS-COV (which had an outbreak in 2002 and was a new strain), MERS-COV (which was a new strain and broke out in 2012), and SARS-COV-2 (the current one, which is also new).

SARS-COV (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome - Coronavirus) is believed to have made the jump to humans from bats in 2002/2003. SARS-COV killed about 9% of its victims during its outbreak, which the bulk of that being the elderly.

MERS-COV (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome - Coronavirus) made the jump to humans from camels in 2012 and originated in the Middle East. This strain killed about 30% of the people it infected and is one of the strains the WHO is concerned about causing an epidemic or pandemic.

SARS-COV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome - Coronavirus 2) is the current virus spreading. It, like SARS-COV, is believed to have made the jump from humans to bats. This virus is in the same family as SARS-COV, but isn't evolved from it. It's a totally new strain.

The biggest difference that SARS-COV-2 has is that it's much more contagious then SARS-COV and MERS-COV. That's why it's exploded in a way the other two didn't (that and we don't have an immunity to it).

This won't be the last time a coronavirus explodes like this, so its something we'll always need to be vigilant about.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I also wonder this to. I have fellow nurses saying, "There are no confirmed cases in our area! Nothing to worry about!" Well of course there are no confirmed cases because we are unable to test for it because of these restrictions. There is proof of community spread and even Americans in other countries testing positive. Why can't we test anybody that has symptoms, regardless of travel or contact with others ,if we feel the need to? They say we are limited on supplies is the reason. Why are we limited on supplies?

ok actually haves worked in this industry I can tell you that most of what you can rest for is based "medical necessity" generally speaking there are a list of diagnosis which correlate to a list of testing which Medicare and Insurance companies will pay for. The specific idea is that it prevents abuse from quack doctors ordering unnecessary medical tests to run up the bill and having insurance/Medicare/Medicaid from footing the bill. Consequently this list is generally updated annually with ICD10/CPT code validation pairing for medical systems.
Basically ordering a test which is not validated by insurance and Medicare would run financial risk every time you run it which would result in, "who's going to pay for it?"

if I had to guess, tests are only truly being done if this is a true suspicion or if a patient specific signs documentation saying they accept the financial risk of the cost of the testing. I.e. wealthier people would be more likely to go to the doctor and let them test them for Coronavirus.

That being I really think it's far far far more widespread and consequently, milder than we are aware. It wouldn't surprise me to find out 2-5% of the US population already has it.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Denver Public Schools is closing for three weeks. Rest of the state generally follows was DPS does so I imagine Colorado K-12 schools will go down as well.

Nov 8, 2017
Not sure if it's mentioned but Michigan just shut down all K-12 schools until 4/6
Yup. My wife and I are at a loss for what to do with our children while we work. She's a nurse and I'm an engineer for a medical imaging company. We both will be very busy. And while we do have retired parents, they're in their 60s-70s and probably shouldn't be around people for the next few weeks. What the hell are we supposed to do?!?!?!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Yup. My wife and I are at a loss for what to do with our children while we work. She's a nurse and I'm an engineer for a medical imaging company. We both will be very busy. And while we do have retired parents, they're in their 60s-70s and probably shouldn't be around people for the next few weeks. What the hell are we supposed to do?!?!?!
You haven't been asked to WFH yet? Seems a lot of companies are doing that already, and more will follow.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Im seeing on twitter some guy got hit over the head with a wine bottle at a sam's club over water in Hiram, Georgia. Looking for a good source rn but it's nuts out there

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
One of the suburbs in Houston tx

Even the local CVS ran out of stuff

There's about 3 known cases (probably more now ) and total 15 in Houston overall

South TX and the valley is selling out of stuff as well. Even the Dollar General was packed an hour ago. I have food to last me two weeks or three.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017

MOD EDIT: WE DO NOT GIVE JOE ROGAN A PLATFORM. DO NOT LINK TO HIS CONTENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Parents that are getting a long extended spring break, if you have a 4th Grader you can get a free pass to visit National Parks. We have six weeks in Washington and the wife will likely visit every national park in our state. Might be good for some outdoor learning

www.nationalparks.org

Open OutDoors for Kids

Connecting and inspiring the next generation through our national parks.

Last edited:

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
My office has been closed and my co-workers and I have to work from home for the foreseeable future. We're all super scared, this is fucking crazy to see how quickly this spread.

Oct 25, 2017
Parents that are getting a long extended spring break, if you have a 4th Fraser you can get a free pass to visit National Parks. We have six weeks in Washington and the wife will likely visit every national park in our state. Might be good for some outdoor learning

www.nationalparks.org

Open OutDoors for Kids

Connecting and inspiring the next generation through our national parks.

81mq53lJ8DL._RI_.jpg

?