• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I 100% agree, it just exposes how unfair and uneven the healthcare system is. The worst was Gobert mocking the situation and possibly infecting a teammate, but the dude gets tested right away.
Remember when Steve Jobs got a liver transplant super fast and the papers wrote articles for years about how "no, he just signed up on two states, something no one else ever thought about doing"?
I'm sure there is a PeRfEcTlY lEgAl ExPlAnAtIoN here too, but I'm also sure that if you peel the layers of legalism, it will be just the old truth of the US healthcare system - it's geared toward treating rich people remarkably well first and foremost.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
How is Canada testing? BC has 53 cases, Washington has 450+ I believe. Are we not testing enough is this a realistic difference?

Testing has accelerated in Ontario a great deal the last 2 days with the activation of the testing centers. Now when people go to an ER with any markers they are sent to a remote testing center. Before the Pandemic declaration on Tuesday, testing in the GTA was not well understood by everyone. I mentioned in this thread at the time that at the Hospital my wife works at many of the Doctors were kind of clueless on the second form needed for Covid testing which resulted in several lab tests being cancelled due to improper paperwork.

I kind of expect to see a jump in Canada because these specific testing centers are being set up everywhere. I read of one in Ottawa and Quebec so I'm assuming they are popping up across the country. We have to just wait and see if there is a jump now that the process has been streamlined. I should add that the organization has been very impressive since the Pandemic declaration.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm supposed to go to a book convention mid April in Atlanta that is estimated to be at least 800 people minimum. Wife has been planning it for a year and is super excited cause she's been before and I was going this year. Now I'm getting nervous...

Even if you want to go, a gathering of that size should be banned at that point

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Even if you want to go, a gathering of that size should be banned at that point

Apparently they are only shutting down if the government themselves say so, otherwise they are moving forward. I've expressed my concern with my wife since we would have to fly as well but she seems pretty adamant about going. She said they are taking precautions to ensure nothing happens but that doesn't exactly reassure me.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the reason behind the UK stance that differs so much than elsewhere, are they both valid approaches or is one a mistake?

Germany and UK have had the same stance so far but the Arsenal Manager getting it might change tomorrow for football in the UK.

Also UK is still low on cases per head compared to many around them and may even act sooner than them relatively speaking or be inline.

uTkjl1u.jpg

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How did Charles Barkley get tested? These celebrities getting tested way before they would otherwise is terrible

Celebrities literally had private firefighters during the California wildfires last year lol. This is exactly what is to be expected in the coming future and will only continue spotlighting how wealth inequality is more than just a number. Class solidarity above all else. I really, really just hope something is done soon to ensure everyone has access to the healthcare they need for this.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Germany and UK have had the same stance so far but the Arsenal Manager getting it might change tomorrow for football in the UK.

Also UK is still low on cases per head compared to many around them and may even act sooner than them relatively speaking or be inline.

uTkjl1u.jpg
Keep in mind UK cases are expected to be between 5,000 and 10,000 at the moment. The way we test is quite specific.
www.bbc.co.uk

Up to 10,000 in UK 'likely to have coronavirus'

The chief scientific adviser says the number of infected people is much higher than the 590 identified cases.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Swiping on Tinder is weird right now, not going to meet any of these girls any time soon. Well, maybe I'll strike conversations with a couple of them and we can hold each other in virtual company in these isolated times. Going to take a while before people get comfortable with general physical contact again. Eh, what what am I saying, I'm in Norway, we never were comfortable with it in the first place.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently they are only shutting down if the government themselves say so, otherwise they are moving forward. I've expressed my concern with my wife since we would have to fly as well but she seems pretty adamant about going. She said they are taking precautions to ensure nothing happens but that doesn't exactly reassure me.

I really think it will be canceled, but she is excited and does not want it to be. Personally I would let her be excited, but maybe plan some small surprise to cheer her up when the cancellation happens.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
+89 confirmed cases and +2 deaths in WA today. (Less than yesterday, which is a hopeful sign)

EDIT: Also, +1400 tests, the biggest day of testing yet.

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
Keep in mind UK cases are expected to be between 5,000 and 10,000 at the moment. The way we test is quite specific.
www.bbc.co.uk

Up to 10,000 in UK 'likely to have coronavirus'

The chief scientific adviser says the number of infected people is much higher than the 590 identified cases.

Same can be said for most of Europe. France might be 50k or more, Spain 80-100k. With 61 and 84 deaths in France and Spain it should be obvious.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC's Health Minister

Here's our new recommendations.

My dad is coming back from Palm Springs on Sunday. Guess he will be quarantining.

On a related note, I may have been exposed (someone at work went home today to go get tested, and I was interacting with them a couple hours before they left). I'm going to be monitoring myself really hard for a bit here...

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Where is this magical stash of tests on demand that wealthy/famous people in the US keep finding? Like, no, seriously, with it being so hard to get any tests yet in this country, is there some VIP number to call?

Asked the same thing in another thread, after Lindsay Graham got tested despite showing no symptoms. There has to be X number of tests set aside for "high value" government folks and their friends, or they are selling them under the table.

Either scenario is a bad look when the average person coughing their bloody lungs out can't get a test if their fever is only 102.5.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Work was nuts today. I am exhausted physically and mentally. People are ramping up their panic buying.

My hands cracked and started bleeding from washing them so much and then handling cardboard. Going to start working with gloves tomorrow.

Shoppers have been doing their best to be friendly at least.

Iron Mike

Sep 28, 2019
It's looking incredibly likely at this point that Coronavirus is going to infect most of the world's population since the entire world locking down like China or Italy for the next 18+ months until a vaccine is available is infeasible. With that inevitability, it got me thinking about ways that we could manage the spread of the virus in order to better protect the people most vulnerable to it.

As a healthy young adult, I'm far more concerned with the possibility of catching Coronavirus and spreading it to others than I am with the potential symptoms I'd be likely to face after contracting it.

So it got me thinking, if the research on Coronavirus shows that we do become immune to it after defeating it (for months at least), wouldn't there be plenty of people who would volunteer to contract it? We could throw huge two+ week parties in evacuated towns, shielding the most vulnerable people from it while the the people in the Coronavirus party towns contract Coronavirus and recover.

There's a similar thing for children with chicken pox where they deliberately contract it as kids while it's relatively harmless thus gaining a lifelong immunity rather than risking contracting it as an old person when it's far more dangerous.

Any thoughts on my master plan?

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
It's looking incredibly likely at this point that Coronavirus is going to infect most of the world's population since the entire world locking down like China or Italy for the next 18+ months until a vaccine is available is infeasible. With that inevitability, it got me thinking about ways that we could manage the spread of the virus in order to better protect the people most vulnerable to it.

As a healthy young adult, I'm far more concerned with the possibility of catching Coronavirus and spreading it to others than I am with the potential symptoms I'd be likely to face after contracting it.

So it got me thinking, if the research on Coronavirus shows that we do become immune to it after defeating it (for months at least), wouldn't there be plenty of people who would volunteer to contract it? We could throw huge two+ week parties in evacuated towns, shielding the most vulnerable people from it while the the people in the Coronavirus party towns contract Coronavirus and recover.

There's a similar thing for children with chicken pox where they deliberately contract it as kids while it's relatively harmless thus gaining a lifelong immunity rather than risking contracting it as an old person when it's far more dangerous.

Terrible idea, it would overwhelm hospitals because even young people are still ending up needing to be hospitalized.

Loomies

Oct 27, 2017
Was going to Sams club and it was legit full parking lot. Like I never seen it this full ever in my life. Normally its like 50% full on a holiday type of thing. Just went back home :(

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno

Besides the fact that it won't work because it's already spreading , you're still trusting people to not spread it. There's no guarantee it'll stay confined (South Dakota has 8 unrelated cases and it's flat nothing for miles).

Also, the chicken pox vaccine has, thankfully, done away with pox parties for the most part.

Chicken Pox can turn into shingles later in life and that can be brutal.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Just found out that in West Virginia they are only testing you for Covid-19 if you have traveled outside of the country, like community transmission isn't even a thing. Amazing. No wonder our state is showing a big zero on the infected list.
To be fair, they could make it only if you traveled outside the county and it still wouldn't apply to most. :)

I'm originally from Morgantown.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Was going to Sams club and it was legit full parking lot. Like I never seen it this full ever in my life. Normally its like 50% full on a holiday type of thing. Just went back home :(
Yeah my HEB(Texas Grocery store) was more full than pre Thanksgiving. Luckily I did my shopping a week before.

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Inappropriate commentary
So I've heard that you can boost your immune system by masturbating. Well I'll see you guys later.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
State of emergency declared in Nevada. I'm trying to figure out how the hell do you shut down the Strip without bankrupting the city.

dingobingo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
If this news about the Republicans stalling I wish Democrats would hammer them on this news 24 7. Make it so bad that they are screwed. But no we must play nice

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
It's looking incredibly likely at this point that Coronavirus is going to infect most of the world's population since the entire world locking down like China or Italy for the next 18+ months until a vaccine is available is infeasible.
I think there will be waves of infections until the vaccine becomes available, with some countries being hit multiple times. We need some sort of flexible quarantine - flexitine - to deal with that. People should be very flexible in switching to working from home. An emergency UBI might be useful to allow companies to more flexibly scale down their work force if work from home is not an option.