• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Slightly disconcerting response.

Back here in the UK, a school in north-west London has had a Covid-19 case confirmed but health officials have said there's no need for it to close, nor for any staff or pupils to be put into quarantine, Kevin Rawlinson reports.

Hatch End high school has published a letter from its headteacher confirming a person at the school has tested positive, though it did not say whether they are staff or a puil."

The person was last in school on Friday 6 March. PHE have conducted a risk assessment and advised us that no staff or pupils need to exclude themselves from school."

A group of pupils and a small number of staff members have been asked to monitor themselves for symptoms, for a period of 14 days (until 20th March). No one in this group has been asked to exclude themselves from school if they are well."

A note on its website added: "Given the specifics of this case they have determined that a deep clean of the school is not required."

Source: The Guardian

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
This tells me, that people are still traveling, but not cruising or flying. Likely local trips (Since Hotels are not really down)

www.vox.com

How the coronavirus has affected airlines, hotels, and cruises in one chart

Last week marked double-digit US sales declines for a number of travel industries.

The travel industry has seen some of the worst business impacts from the new coronavirus, a global pandemic threat that now has infected more than 116,000 people and killed about 4,000.

In China and Italy, residents are being told not to travel at all. In the United States, health officials are urging people to avoid situations like travel, where they will likely be exposed to crowds. As a result, many have canceled travel plans, sending the industry reeling. Some experts even say that the effects of the coronavirus may have already triggered a recession.

Online travel agencies, airlines, and cruise lines all saw double-digit US sales declines in the week ended March 2, compared to a year earlier, according to new data from Earnest Research, a company that monitors consumer credit and debit card spending. Hotels, a category that includes chains like Marriott and Holiday Inn as well as home-sharing apps like Airbnb, saw a small decline in the week of February 25 to March 2 (weekly data is Tuesday through Monday). Still, hotel sales aren't as bad as those in other travel segments, but the losses will likely get worse as more recent data becomes available that reflects new government and company precautions.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
lol just got sent home from work because someone in my office building tested positive (different floor, but may have shared an elevator at some point) - should i be worried?

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol just got sent home from work because someone in my office building tested positive (different floor, but may have shared an elevator at some point) - should i be worried?

Mildly...just self-quarantine and look for symptoms.

edit: where are you located? did they say where or how the employee might have gotten it?

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK

Self isolate for 14 days I'd guess is the best advice.. certainly that's what is being said in the UK... Plus a call to 111..

Your countries advice may vary

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
more then likely they're asking faculty to begin transferring courses into an online module like canvas. i dont think they want to refund all of those credit hours.

Yeah, I am preparing to finish out the semester online and have told my students that although it seems unlikely at the moment, they should mentally prepare for the potential to finish out the semester online and, although I highly advise not to travel at all, to be safe, stay informed of the news, and constantly disinfect if they are going to be traveling during spring break.

Dec 13, 2017
I have plans to travel to Chicago for St. Pattys day this weekend and now feel very not sure about going. Thousands of people going this weekend and it seems like more cases by the hour. I know where I live it's only a matter of time until the first positive test result and I believe Chicago didn't have many positive results but still weary.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Lot of friends here in NYC getting sent home/WFH for at least two or three weeks. Still nothing at my company but can see it coming soon.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.motorsport.com

Coronavirus scare at Albert Park Hotel on eve of Australian GP

A restaurant next to the Albert Park track is at the centre of a coronavirus scare after a 70-year-old Australian man, who has since been diagnosed with Covid-19, attended a function there on Saturday.

Couple positives not far from the Australian track where the Formula 1 should be starting regularly this weekend. At this point, maybe not.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Does Asthma factor at all in younger people or is it still mostly safe and the worry is still older and sick people, worse conditions?

Edit - Seems just be wary as usual with flu like stuff.

Last edited:

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Are you a person at risk a.k.a. older than 50 and with pre-conditions?

Shouldn't it be older than 50 OR with pre-conditions? I'm 38 years old but I've got a leaky heart valve which is putting strain on my respiratory system. I'm definitely in the at risk group according to my medical team and will still be for a period of time following my surgery.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Confirmed case at my office. Place isn't shut down yet but many people are starting to WFH. I'm headed home now.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
This older lady in the office has deputized herself as the official, "shouldn't you go home so you don't get everyone sick," --police

I asked her yesterday how she dealt with the 1918 flu, and she didn't like that one bit

Lol. Man, I laughed so hard in my little cubicle at work after reading this. Some much needed levity.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Prime minister of Jamaica just announced first confirmed case. Other rumors are circulating but all sound so scary they're all probably made up.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm being sent to Minnesota for a work thing for a week, starting this weekend. I'm 41 and don't have any underlying conditions I'm aware of (tho heart issues run in my family).

How fucked am I?

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
This older lady in the office has deputized herself as the official, "shouldn't you go home so you don't get everyone sick," --police

I asked her yesterday how she dealt with the 1918 flu, and she didn't like that one bit
LMAO
I'm being sent to Minnesota for a work thing for a week, starting this weekend. I'm 41 and don't have any underlying conditions I'm aware of (tho heart issues run in my family).

How fucked am I?

1%

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy

There have already been confirmed cases in NC, the Governor has already declared a state of emergency, and yet they are still going ahead with the ACC basketball tournament. This is a spectacularly bad idea.