• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
My workplace sent out out policies:
* our insurance will cover all tests (including copay) (good)
* all non-critical travel canceled (good)
* no changes to work-at-home policy (ok for me but bad for others)
* no change to PTO policy (bad)

Not sure if posted, I used "find" for Cuyahoga county for the last few pages and didn't see any mention.

Got an email last night from University that there are three cases of coronavirus in Cuyahoga county.

Was already posted.
What hasn't been posted:
OSU (Ohio State University) suspends all in-person classes through the March 30th:
www.dispatch.com

Universities around Ohio suspend in-person classes because of coronavirus

After Ohio State announced it would be suspending in-person classes through the end of the month amid coronavirus concerns, other college and universities

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
My workplace sent out out policies:
* our insurance will cover all tests (including copay) (good)
* all non-critical travel canceled (good)
* no changes to work-at-home policy (ok for me but bad for others)
* no change to PTO policy (bad)

Was already posted.
What hasn't been posted:
OSU (Ohio State University) suspends all in-person classes through the March 30th:
www.dispatch.com

Universities around Ohio suspend in-person classes because of coronavirus

After Ohio State announced it would be suspending in-person classes through the end of the month amid coronavirus concerns, other college and universities
The university I attend in Cleveland hasn't suspended yet, the email was the same email I've been getting saying they're going to monitor the situation.

What will academic institutes do if they have to delay? Does that mean the semester doesn't count? Do students get smaller amount of educational content?

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Can any of DeutschEra comment on the sentiment towards an Italy style lockdown in a week or so? I have to make a decision by this evening as to whether I'll travel to Hanover for a week with work tomorrow.
Well, it should be done, if you look at the numbers and trajectory. Will it happen though? I somehow doubt it, considering the guideline is still "If you can, avoid events with more than 1.000 people" without any official bans whatsoever. But who knows, anything is possible at this point...

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

Doogdogg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm suppose to board an airplane for Dallas/Fort Worth in an hour, but I ain't going. How many here have decided to stay home instead of flying?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think almost no children have died if it all. I would be more worried about Grandma and Grandpa.
That's the concern, my wife's parents live with us. From what I understand babies can still carry the virus even if they don't get sick. There's always something going around at daycare and our daughter always catches it.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
I am getting married May 22nd and now am wondering if I should get wedding insurance, just in case it is still super bad then and we have to postpone the wedding. The spread hasn't been too bad in MD yet, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk.

My fiancé is worried that our out of town guests won't be able to come now. She has some elderly relatives that were going to travel by plane.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
How are my fellow anxiety-ERA folks doing? Had a pretty bad anxiety spell last night where I was convinced I was getting a fever. Checked it like 3 times over the course of the night and it never went higher than 98.4.

I really need to take a step back. I've managed to stop checking the coronavirus subreddit so that's good. But working in NYC is really taking it's toll on me. I just wish my company would make the call and let us work from home. I keep asking, "What are they waiting for?" but I probably already know - until an employee gets sick.

Oct 27, 2017
Man that case about the person in Taiwan infecting 40 people in a mall is spooky. How do you infect 40 people in a short amount of time without having any symptoms?

I would not worry about weird outlying cases (if accurate) which probably exist for every communicable disease that we aren't hyper-fixated on. There are gonna be super-spreaders just by random chance.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The wife, kid and in-laws still have our trip to Disney World scheduled for next week. We're not sure if we should just cancel or insist the grandparents stay home. They're insisting we keep their reservation despite our protestations. I understand the risk to us, but we're in NYC. We're certainly no safer here.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In Canadian response news:

Deputy Prime Minister Freeland is asking provinces and territories for their readiness plans ahead of Friday's premier meeting. Also asking what supplies each province/territory is running low of and will need.

www.ctvnews.ca

Freeland asks provinces, territories for COVID-19 readiness plans

The federal government is asking the provinces and territories for their plans to deal with COVID-19 ahead of a meeting on Friday between the premiers and the prime minister.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019
My mom and I both live in Brazil and she's going to Chicago in two weeks, I'm starting to feel worried about her (she's 65). Can someone tell me how's the situation over there?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Harvard University just announced they will be moving to fully remote classes after spring break. Told us to not to return campus unless we absolutely have to.

NYU is also moving to remote classes but is still asking employees to work on site, as far as I'm aware.

Oct 25, 2017
How are my fellow anxiety-ERA folks doing? Had a pretty bad anxiety spell last night where I was convinced I was getting a fever. Checked it like 3 times over the course of the night and it never went higher than 98.4.

I really need to take a step back. I've managed to stop checking the coronavirus subreddit so that's good. But working in NYC is really taking it's toll on me. I just wish my company would make the call and let us work from home. I keep asking, "What are they waiting for?" but I probably already know - until an employee gets sick.
It's bad. I'm high risk so that is making my anxiety a lot worse. I'm trying to balance the desire to stay informed with not reading social media/the news constantly but it's tough. I'm in the office now, but thankfully I work from home 3 days a week anyway so I'm just trying to be diligent about washing my hands frequently when I'm in the office and I'm limiting my time spent in public places.

Going to try to be better about mindfulness meditation, too, the next couple of weeks because that can help.

Hang in there! My sister is also in NYC, and she's also high risk (thanks, genetics) so she's really worried as well. Just keep washing your hands and hopefully your company will let you work from home.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Man that case about the person in Taiwan infecting 40 people in a mall is spooky. How do you infect 40 people in a short amount of time without having any symptoms?

This didn't actually happen in Taiwan; I think you're mistaken. The closest thing was a guy in the south who didn't tell anyone he had the disease and compromised people at a ballroom. He was caught and fined about $10k US.

jinkx

Sep 11, 2019

I had an anxiety attack a few days ago cause of this too, but it was nothing (just a normal flu). Please, take care of your mental health you do not deserve this. Stop reading about it, do not think about it, just live your life (as I am doing)

Anxiety is a bitch

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How is the virus going in Japan? It seems like it has slowed down considerably

Looks like they reported 13 new cases and 1 death yesterday.

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

Scroll to find Japan.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just now noticing the threadmarks now appearing above the post entry box, very neat!

--

My friends at Dell are freaking out at the news that an employee tested positive and had recently visited their Austin office: https://www.thenewsminute.com/artic...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

They advised everyone to start WFH yesterday but a good friend of mine tells me that her boss is still stressing how she does her job best when she's "in-person and present" 😒. Not that my company is much better so far, I've heard many stories recently from companies like Indeed and Twitter of managers gently nudging people towards working longer hours at home and creating what amounts to busywork.

www.kvue.com

Dell advises Central Texas employees to work from home if possible

Dell has 14,000 total employees in Central Texas, including at its Round Rock and Parmer campuses.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can any of DeutschEra comment on the sentiment towards an Italy style lockdown in a week or so? I have to make a decision by this evening as to whether I'll travel to Hanover for a week with work tomorrow.

I don't see it happening here even if the situation demands it. It already seems impossible to ban all audiences at Bundesliga matches as all bans are decided by each state on a federal level.
Germany also has a lot of ICU beds ready so death numbers hopefully will stay relatively low for now.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Not German, but I've been looking at various countries' numbers.
It is very hard to accurately predict timelines on an exponential (or approximately exponential) rise. You can make pretty-looking graphs that look really accurate for past data, but extrapolating into the future is very difficult.
With that caveat, Germany, the UK and France are all roughly on track with Italian numbers, but about 1-2 weeks behind.
The spread might turn out to be different (especially if the Italian situation causes other Europeans to be more careful), but I would not be surprised if we all enter similar lockdowns in about 2 weeks.
The German numbers are more variable than other countries (UK, IT, FR), and are the worst fit to an exponential curve. The Italian numbers are an almost perfect fit, which is both worrying and good. Worrying because an exponential spread with a doubling time of around 3 to 3.5 days is really nasty, but good because the effect of the new quarrantine should be easy to spot in future data, which will help other countries to know if they should do the same.

The numbers show that South Korea's quarantine measures (I'm not sure exactly what they're doing) are continuing to improve their control of the spread, so there is hope for Italy.
Oh, there's also a mistake in the English official press release from the Korean CDC. They've flipped the ages of the deaths in the chart, so it looks like children are dying instead of the elderly. So if you see any stories about dead Korean children later today, they're wrong and that's why (so far it only has about 1000 page views, so maybe someone will correct it before the rest of the world notices).

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
Keep running into people who argue the media is hyping this up and it's no big deal...
I think the music and speed-up is pretty disrespectful. Yes, a few people go hard at the beginning, but it looks like it's just a traffic jam with people taking their turns to grab the toilet paper one at a time for the rest of the video.

Video is pretty accurate. People have been assaulting each other in the supermarkets over toilet paper in NSW.