• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
graphics.suntimes.com

Homicides in Chicago: A list of every victim | Chicago Sun-Times

Information about Chicago's homicide victims, compiled by journalists, including breakdowns of where and when incidents occurred, updated daily.

It's pretty spread out in the city.....obviously not everything is a gunshot wound, but lets not act like its not a common thing for someone to die everyday in my city.

But like i said, at least gunshots are not contagious
First off, you're talking to a Chicagoan. Secondly, if you want to talk about gun violence holistically, we should save it for another thread. I'll just leave it at saying that it's misleading to say that gun violence is extremely unlikely for the average person living in Chicago or visiting Chicago and that it's not a good comparison to coronavirus which based on scientific opinions will hit over 30% of EVERYBODY, including Chicago.

Oct 27, 2017
So my wife and I are supposed to fly over to LA for a family members wedding this week, is this serious enough that we should bail or if with precautions (washing hands, sanitizer, no face touching) we should okay? Nashville already has something like 20 confirmed cases so its not like we're going from somewhere with no virus to a play that does have it.

Mar 3, 2019
Its complete bullshit that you are charged to get the Coronavrius test here in the United States. With insurance Ive seen numbers around 500-1000. People arent going to go get tested for that amount of money

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like germany and france are basically 4-5 days behind italy and are more and more likely to be in italys situation soon.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
www.kentonline.co.uk

Pupil diagnosed with coronavirus

A student has tested positive for COVID-19, prompting a letter home to parents.

Not closing the school for a deep clean seems irresponsible to me. The pupil in question could have been asymptomatic and infected other pupils and that's how a cluster starts.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Its complete bullshit that you are charged to get the Coronavrius test here in the United States. With insurance Ive seen numbers around 500-1000. People arent going to go get tested for that amount of money

Blue Cross Blue Shield just announced they will be covering test fees. I'm not sure about other companies but they are one of the big ones.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
My work is wanting me trained to clean this up at certain sites around the city. I ain't doing it even if they pay me extra. They try force me I'm taking it to my union.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
you dont become immune you can be reinfected...
This is just straight up false. What you're referring to is people who tested negative, and then a day or two later tested positive again because of the way the anti-viral treatments (tamiflu) work. Once your body fights it off, it becomes immune. The thing we don't know is for how long does the immunity last, and how quickly does covid-19 mutate into new strains that would then be able to bypass immunity from an older strain.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

Why are we comparing a virus that has vaccines ready to be administrated every year and a common disease that can't really be more "out there" than it is already with a completely new virus that's still in its early stages of spreading out through the world, has no vaccines, and already has a higher killing-rate?

The fact some people think containing this is "too much" is incredible.
Just in Italy in 24 hours 133 people died right there...from a virus that only got to that country 2 weeks ago.
133 people in 24 hours. How can people down pay these numbers?
The worst is how irresponsible people can get. I was on the phone with a friend that has been traveling, went to Italy is starting to get a weird cold and shivers and he was laughing on the phone and telling me how he was going to work and he has "no time to be sick".
People don't even think about everyone else but themselves. This is NO time to be selfish!

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
So my wife and I are supposed to fly over to LA for a family members wedding this week, is this serious enough that we should bail or if with precautions (washing hands, sanitizer, no face touching) we should okay? Nashville already has something like 20 confirmed cases so its not like we're going from somewhere with no virus to a play that does have it.

It's ultimately your call, but In all honesty I wouldn't want to be anywhere near an airport or plane at the moment if I could help it.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It is irresponsible to make a post like this when we don't know about the immunity to the disease. There have been many reinfections, which may be due to improper testing, but we cannot confidently say you become immune. Experts have stated that it is unlikely that you can get reinfected, but they don't know if you are immune yet. Please do not make posts about this situation that aren't backed by experts.

No, IMO its irresponsible fear mongering to keep posting those superrare 'reinfections'.
There is no evidence that these are real and every experts says its extremiley unlikely to happen.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
No, IMO its irresponsible fear mongering to keep posting those superrare 'reinfections'.
There is no evidence that these are real and every experts says its extremiley unlikely to happen.
How the hell is it fear mongering to post stories of reinfection? It's important to keep people informed so that "cured" patients don't too quickly go back out in public. It may very well be that it was just that they weren't fully recovered but that is important information.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Basically, be mindful of touching surfaces that lots of people will have touched, wash your hands before you eat or touch your nose/eyes/mouth for any reason, and avoid the aisle seat, and you have very little risk.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
My work is wanting me trained to clean this up at certain sites around the city. I ain't doing it even if they pay me extra. They try force me I'm taking it to my union.

I'm not trying to call you out, but I want to use this post to springboard on a worry that I've been having: what happens if nurses or even doctors nationwide start taking this attitude? God bless our medical professionals and all that, but I've been in some hospitals where the nurses act like they're being inconvenienced by having to show up to work at all on a normal day.

Jan 10, 2018
If you would have told me 5 years ago the future US President might die because he is a petty asshole, who is unable to learn and own up mistakes, I.. I'm not even sure how to end this. What a time to be alive.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should do what they can to convince their parents and grandparents to stay home as much as possible.

I emailed my parents. They're complete Trumpsters and I got the whole song and dance about this is no worse than the flu, that the media is blowing this out of proportion, etc.

Both my parents are 70+