• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
There was a leaked report here in Ireland from a 'senior' health official on modeling that was being done - the model thus far suggesting 40% of the population may become infected (best-case 30%) with half of those cases in a three week period.

If that happens, the 10-20% that need more treatment will be absolutely f-ed. Our healthcare system doesn't remotely have the kind of capacity suggested by those numbers.

First time I've actually thought, seriously, that this could be a frightening situation.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Statistics for the deaths in Italy today

VYWdjEI.png

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
I was at soccer this afternoon and overheard another team while stretching discussing upcoming plans. They're planning on letting the league know that they will forfeit next Sunday because over 10 of them have separate, planned vacations. Not a single one of them wants to cancel, and they were using sunk cost justifications - "the flight is paid for, the hotel is paid for, etc". One person mentioned coronavirus and the others were just like "not worried one bit". I'm not sure if I eavesdropped a microcosm or an outlier but I'm just sharing what I overheard.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Follow up on the report regarding encephalitis

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

The neuroinvasive potential of SARS-CoV2 may play a role in the respiratory failure of COVID-19 patients - PubMed

Following the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS-CoV) and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV), another highly pathogenic coronavirus named SARS-CoV-2 (previously known as 2019-nCoV) emerged in December 2019 in Wuhan, China, and rapidly spreads around the...

It appears that the reason for so many cases of respiratory failure could be due to it attacking the nerve cells that control respiration. It attacks neurons and transmits along the synaptic connections and can infect the brain.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Liquid silver? What the hell?
Classic snake-oil cure-all among alternative "medicine" quacks.

There's a segment of homeopaths who are all about colloidial silver as a cure-all.
Colloidial silver actually doesn't have anything to do with homeopathy. Homeopathy is its own brand of even stupider superstition. Look up how it actually claims to work sometime if you feel like despairing in humanity's capacity to believe in total nonsense.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This doctor who was on CNBC was right.

Note this was on Monday, March 2nd. He said there would be hundreds of cases in the U.S. this week and thousands next week.

The U.S. now has over 500 cases officially as of Sunday, March 8.

www.cnbc.com

US coronavirus cases top 500 as Oregon joins list of states declaring emergencies

Washington is one of the hardest-hit states in the U.S., with more than 100 confirmed cases and at least 16 deaths.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There was a leaked report here in Ireland from a 'senior' health official on modeling that was being done - the model thus far suggesting 40% of the population may become infected (best-case 30%) with half of those cases in a three week period.

If that happens, the 10-20% that need more treatment will be absolutely f-ed. Our healthcare system doesn't remotely have the kind of capacity suggested by those numbers.

First time I've actually thought, seriously, that this could be a frightening situation.

Yeah, that's why I hate people downplaying it, would only take a few hundred to a thousand dire patients to possibly collapse the system in the UK if they are in dire need along with less servers cases that still need help.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that's why I hate people downplaying it, would only take a few hundred to a thousand dire patients to possibly collapse the system in the UK if they are in dire need along with less servers cases that still need help.
Flu is usually enough to pretty much kill the NHS every winter. We're REALLY lucky that this winter wasn't a particularly bad one for it, or they'd still be struggling now.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017

An official here, on the record, on the evening news, said - without referring to that leaked report or any specific numbers - that 'difficult choices' would probably have to be made about allocation of treatment.

Cannot vouch for this, but an Italian friend of mine said that in some Italian hospitals they're already having to pick and choose who can get on respirators. And they're prioritising younger patients who need them in a 'they have more life left to live' kind of way. It sounds appalling, if that's true, but one wonders what else is meant by 'difficult decisions to make' in that kind of context, if not that kind of prioritisation.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
An official here, on the record, said - without referring to that leaked report or any specific numbers - that 'difficult choices' would probably have to be made about allocation of treatment.

Cannot vouch for this, but an Italian friend of mine said that in some Italian hospitals they're already having to pick and choose who can get on respirators. And they're prioritising younger patients who need them in a 'they have more life left to live' kind of way. It sounds appalling, if that's true, but one wonders what else is meant by 'difficult decisions to make' in that kind of context, if not that kind of prioritisation.
I thought officials said it was nearing a point where they were considering implementing an age limit in the ICU. I.e. if youre over 80, sorry charlie type of thing.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Any links to that report?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
An official here, on the record, on the evening news, said - without referring to that leaked report or any specific numbers - that 'difficult choices' would probably have to be made about allocation of treatment.

When the healthcare system is overwhelmed by patients, as it will be with coronavirus, triage is necessary.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They have similar in the UK, it was mentioned a few weeks ago, can't remember what it's called.

Just shows you they don't have the capacity.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I did read that the Coronavirus has 2 variations, where one causes minor symptoms but the 2nd is much more aggressive. Perhaps that can explain it, adding to the fact that the outbreak in Italy was at a retirement home.
There's some scepticism about that 2 strain paper:
virological.org

Response to “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2”

Response to “On the origin and continuing evolution of SARS-CoV-2” Oscar A. MacLean*, Richard Orton, Joshua B. Singer, David L. Robertson. MRC-University of Glasgow Centre for Virus Research (CVR). *To whom correspondence should be addressed: [email protected]. Introduction An...

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Any links to that report?

The original is paywalled... but this is the gist of it:

www.thejournal.ie

HSE chief 'can't dispute' figure that 1.9 million people in Ireland could get Covid-19

HSE chief executive Paul Reid said that the National Ambulance Service has tested 300 people in their homes in the past few days.

The article talks about 'best case' scenarios of 30% infection rate. But I'm kind of thinking these all must actually be different varieties of model that fall under the bracket of 'the worst case'? I'm sure there must be better possible, or even hopefully likely, outcomes than this...

Gabe

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Italy
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Coronavirus a Napoli, pazienti gravi trattati con farmaco anti-artrite

Grazie ad una collaborazione tra l’Azienda Ospedaliera dei Colli e Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Fondazione Pascale, due pazienti affetti da polmonite severa Covid 19 sono stati trattati con...

Press Release published by Il Mattino (italian newspaper)

Very promising results have been observed in Italy, especially in sever cases thanks to an off label medicine already in the first 24 hours after infusion. The same medicine has showed good results also in 21 chinese patients. The protocol does not interfere with normal treatment.

We might actually be on the way to cure this fucking thing.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
The original is paywalled... but this is the gist of it:

www.thejournal.ie

HSE chief 'can't dispute' figure that 1.9 million people in Ireland could get Covid-19

HSE chief executive Paul Reid said that the National Ambulance Service has tested 300 people in their homes in the past few days.

The article talks about 'best case' scenarios of 30% infection rate. But I'm kind of thinking these all must actually be different varieties of model that fall under the bracket of 'the worst case'? I'm sure there must be better possible, or even hopefully likely, outcomes than this...
I mean, 60 million people in the US got the swine flu, that's 20+ percent of the us population, and I think it had a lower cfr and didnt spread as easy right?

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Grazie ad una collaborazione tra l’Azienda Ospedaliera dei Colli e Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Fondazione Pascale, due pazienti affetti da polmonite severa Covid 19 sono stati trattati con...

Very promising results have been observed in Italy, especially in sever cases thanks to an off label medicine already in the first 24 hours after infusion. The same medicine has showed good results also in 21 chinese patients. The protocol does not interfere with normal treatment.

Great news if this comes into fruition.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, 60 million people in the US got the swine flu, that's 20+ percent of the us population, and I think it had a lower cfr and didnt spread as easy right?
Lower CFR, on the other hand there's no where near the same amount of effort to contain flu.

And it was 22m by November of 2009. I'm not sure at what point in time the 60m figure is from, it was 60m Americans who got vaccinated by the end of 2009.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Germany with 0 deaths is a statistical anomaly. And not only that but only 2 serious/critical cases. Or they somehow found a way to better treat the patients which I kind of doubt since they would share the info with the other countries.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Omg I might cry

May 26, 2018
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Reputable source?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
IMPORTANT NEWS:

www.ilmattino.it

Translated:

Thanks to a collaboration between the Colli Hospital and the Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Pascale Foundation, two patients with severe Covid 19 pneumonia were treated with tocilizumab, an off label anti-interlukin 6 drug that is usually used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and is the drug of choice in the treatment of cytochemical release syndrome after treatment with CAR-T cells.

[...]

"Already 24 hours after the infusion, encouraging improvements were highlighted especially in one of the two patients, who had a more severe clinical picture" explain Montesarchio and Ascierto. "In the Chinese experience - they add - 21 patients were treated who showed an important improvement already in the first 24-48 hours after treatment, which is carried out with a single administration and which acts without interfering with the therapeutic protocol based on antiviral drugs used "On the basis of these first elements, the possibility of treating other critically ill patients is being evaluated."

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Translated:

Thanks to a collaboration between the Colli Hospital and the Istituto Nazionale Tumori Irccs Pascale Foundation, two patients with severe Covid 19 pneumonia were treated with tocilizumab, an off label anti-interlukin 6 drug that is usually used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and is the drug of choice in the treatment of cytochemical release syndrome after treatment with CAR-T cells.

[...]

"Already 24 hours after the infusion, encouraging improvements were highlighted especially in one of the two patients, who had a more severe clinical picture" explain Montesarchio and Ascierto. "In the Chinese experience - they add - 21 patients were treated who showed an important improvement already in the first 24-48 hours after treatment, which is carried out with a single administration and which acts without interfering with the therapeutic protocol based on antiviral drugs used "On the basis of these first elements, the possibility of treating other critically ill patients is being evaluated."
This is great news. Please let this take us somewhere good