• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 3, 2019
Countries way poorer and way less technologically advanced than the US have managed to contain this outbreak.
The US isn't trying seriously.
I don't like this binary thinking, a more serious effort can and will save lives, I don't know how many, but giving up because it's not going to stop all infections is a mistake I think.

I would say that as a whole most countries do not have a hold on it, other than maybe China. Unless you test everyone you have no way of knowing how widespread the outbreak is, especially since it's sometimes mild. Community infections are happening in lots of countries that weren't from travelers from infected areas. Also the CDC is absolute trash so containment is gonna be on a state by state basis, and they don't always talk enough to each other

Mayyhem

Mar 5, 2018
I have a trip to Japan for 2 weeks on March 23 that I do not want to go anymore. Seems like a terrible time with lot of events and attractions closing down or being banned.

It is such a hassle to cancel this trip and get money back. Does anyone have any recent experience or advice? I'm Canadian

These are my options:

Option #1

2 weeks to wait if request refund online https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/customer/refund

Option #2

Free rebooking offered with no fee

Travel by November 2 for the rebooking

If we do not spend the full amount, the remaining goes to a voucher valid for a year from the date of issue

Option #3

AmEx Travel Insurance

Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance​

*It must state on the Govt of Canada Website: "Avoid all nonessential travel"

right now it says "exercise high degree of caution"

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if it's already everywhere in NYC. A bunch of my social circle just came down with something with flu-like symptoms (dry cough for some/productive cough for some, minor fever, lots of muscle soreness) that isn't testing as a flu (all of us have had flu shots, but none of us are super sick so nobody's been tested for covid-19), and it's very difficult not to feel paranoid about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I work in the IT department in a hospital in Ireland and I'm actually starting to get seriously concerned.. IT staff are absolutely required in house so I don't know how this will go.
Same. I work in a Hospital in IT in WA state. I'm somewhat nervous considering how many cases their have been in this state. It's only a matter of time before it hits in my hospital I imagine.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
So what age of the elderly does this affect most? I am out of state and I worry about my Mom in Colorado. She is 62 and I am scared to think if she get's it she can't fight it off.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I joked a week ago that the US strategy was going to be to just not test people and claim everything was fine so long as you couldn't officially diagnose cases, but my god, this is what they're actually going with. It's the same strategy used to cover up thousands of hurricane deaths in Puerto Rico.

Today was the first day that new international cases outnumbered cases recovered in China, and over 90% of new cases are off mainland China. So uh, is the p-word still banned?

I was definitely thinking of how Puerto Rico was handled (or not handled) the other day in relation to Covid 19...at least they've actually signed funds to allocate but it probably isn't enough and clearly the CDC needs to be rapidly rebuilt from what was stripped already by Trump.

Although we have more cases than most states Washington State is fortunate to have the medical super team that is UW Medicine, and thank god they developed a test as an alternative to the paltry numbers of kits the CDC has sent out, that will go a ways towards testing, but for states that don't have that kind of medical infrastructure in place it will probably be a lot more challenging.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I don't know if this will put people at ease but I work in King County for a big company and people here are being safe/taking some precautions, but cracking jokes about it.

My buddy went to a packed Seattle Sounders game like 2 days ago or whenever they last played.

The response to this IRL seems to be a lot more chill than shit I'm reading in this thread and we are in one of the supposed hot spots

I wont disparage people on here, but well its era. The place attracts many people with high anxiety levels, almost crippling cynicism, heavy depression, very negative outlooks, poor mental health and who can and will panic quickfast. By all means, they can do, its their god given right. But I can make those fairly obvious observations too.

IRL, in england, people are worried etc, but its damn well hard if not possible for people to lock themselves for up to 2 weeks when the virus is weak as it is,and when it mainly affects a generation and group where, frankly speaking, a lot of people have an ever stronger dislike for. That and the CFR is what it is. An Ebola like impact would have had a magnitude more serious impact. Very, very thankful that isn't the case.

Plenty of people I know are chilled out too. Hell, my work colleagues and relatives joke plenty about the disease.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Mike Pence and its task force just landed in WA State--He's fist/elbow bumping officials from WA state... kinda funny to see it lol

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So what age of the elderly does this affect most? I am out of state and I worry about my Mom in Colorado. She is 62 and I am scared to think if she get's it she can't fight it off.
The older the worse it gets but regardless of age the vast majority recovers, it's not like if someone who's a bit older gets it that they're basically already dead. The 60-69 years old bracket is at about 3.6% fatality rate from what I can find, and these numbers might be inflated a bit due to the high fatality rate in China's Hubei province as a result of hospitals being overwhelmed.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
My worry about the elderly in the US is that the healthcare system won't be able to handle the sudden influx of patients. I really don't want entirely preventable deaths to occur.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would say that as a whole most countries do not have a hold on it, other than maybe China. Unless you test everyone you have no way of knowing how widespread the outbreak is, especially since it's sometimes mild. Community infections are happening in lots of countries that weren't from travelers from infected areas. Also the CDC is absolute trash so containment is gonna be on a state by state basis, and they don't always talk enough to each other
I think there are quite a few countries that handled it pretty well so far, and I think this mindset that if you can't stop every single infection then it's pointless to even try is not the way to go about thing.
There is a lot that the US can do to fight this virus and reduce the number of deaths.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
WHO Situation Report (Issue 45, 10a CET, March 5, 2020)

Global:
95333 cases (+2241)

China:
80565 cases (+143)
3015 deaths (+31)

Outside China:
14768 cases (+2098)
85 countries (+5)
267 deaths (+53)

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still wondering if more schools in the area will do something about this. Only our neighboring district has a plan for a shutdown. Haven't heard anything from our central office.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, there was an article about someone in China making a full recovery, got it again, and has since passed with it from the 2nd instance of it.
Was this person more vulnerable (older, health conditions)?
I wonder if they never fully recovered from it the first time and it just flared back up... scary to think about.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I wonder if they never fully recovered from it the first time and it just flared back up... scary to think about.
Someone in Japan possibly got reinfected but we don't know if they fully recovered or not from the initial bout.

The article also mentions the possibility that it can just stay in your system for extended durations of time and flair up. Just a lot of question marks it seems.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I could be doing the statistics wrong but the most vulnerable are 80+ with around 12% and an additional 6% for pre existing conditions. I believe 60s are around the 3% mark. It's dangerous no doubt, but regardless of age it would seem the chance of surviving it is greater than the chance of succumbing to it. And of course the younger you go the better those stats get.

Now whether that 12% is of those hospitalized or of all cases I've no idea, but if it's the former that's going to shrink the likelihood even further. It's a threat, but it's not a guaranteed death sentence from what we know so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Business center is no better, I was just at San Diego Costco business center yesterday, it's just crazy to see so many people and cars there on a weekday. All the shopping carts are gone, I had to walk around to the other side to get a cart. Inside, there are no TP left, only 1 kind rice and just a few bags left on the pallet (are people really buying that much rice? Normally I see pallets of different kind rice there), only some pallets of water left when I went there at noon.

Good call.

Also if you are in the west check out 'Cash and Carry'. They sell bulk goods mostly used by businesses but anyone can use it.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I feel extremely worried for my grandparents in their mid 80s because they live with my aunt's family in Vancouver and 3 of them work as nurses. I feel their chances are exponentially higher than anyone else for bringing covid 19 back with them.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dont mean to sound selfish, but as a 26 year old
Smoker, am i extremely at risk of death when i get this?

Jun 12, 2018
I have to take the london underground to work. Am i the only one who thinks they should shut the transport off?? It seems like a disaster waiting to happen

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question trying to get confirmation Is Japans travel ban of China include flights from Hong Kong?

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I re added my source here https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soc...ered-patient-dies-china-reports-139-new-cases
And re read the article
The word "recovered" is misleading. Basically a 36 year old chinese man was discharged from the hospital and was thus "recovered" (hard to tell if he was fully recovered), but 2 days later he went back to the hospital where he succumbed to respiratory failure. I'm sure the first round of the virus did a number on his system.

The article also mentions the possibility that it can just stay in your system for extended durations of time and flair up. Just a lot of question marks it seems.

This goes hand in hand with the above I feel

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
In the meantime life will go on. Hell I'm booked to go to disneyland paris end of april and I sure ain't passing it up unless travel is blocked. We probably wont be seeing the reach of this truly for a while as yet and the actual real world response wont mirror the social media one until we truly hit alarming figures.

The social media response is largely baffling too. People stocking up on a few weeks supplies or even a few months due to the circular panic, thinking you can lay low a few weeks and it will just pass. I mean it's a virus. You can hide for 6 months and it will still be waiting for you so there's little you can do but practice good hygiene and carry on.

We just came back from Disneyland with the family and going to Vegas for our anniversary in a few weeks. We will take standard precautions as suggested by the health department to limit risk.

ReactionShot

Oct 25, 2017
Is this a lot lower than it was in the past? I've not really been looking at these updates, so I'm not sure, but 143 feels like it's a lot lower based on how it was a bit ago.

The WHO report is released at 10a CET, which covers new cases reported from 10a CET March 4 (5p CST March 4) to 10a CET March 5 (5p CST March 5). This time span is different from the one of the Chinese official report (~9a CST every day) so some discrepancy is expected. The official report yesterday from Chinese government is ~150 I think.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
WHO Situation Report (Issue 45, 10a CET, March 5, 2020)

Global:
95333 cases (+2241)

China:
80565 cases (+143)
3015 deaths (+31)

Outside China:
14768 cases (+2098)
85 countries (+5)
267 deaths (+53)

I just looked up this report to skim through it and unfortunately there were no readily visible recovery numbers. About two weeks ago is when it really started to ramp up infections, there has to be hope that we are going to see a ramp up of recovered patients here anytime soon, right?

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this a lot lower than it was in the past? I've not really been looking at these updates, so I'm not sure, but 143 feels like it's a lot lower based on how it was a bit ago.
Yeah, they have managed to mostly contain it, especially outside Wuhan.
They had single digits of new infections outside Hubei for over a week now I think.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of these cases are recent, there will likely be a couple of deaths among those who have it now.
also we know its deadly largly among old people/people with chronic illnesses. weird think is 0, yes 0 deaths, that we know of of children under 10. thats weird since the flu is danrous to young kids, but thast doesnt seem to apply here.