• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Israeli Health Ministry: Boy with coronavirus attended soccer match at Tel Aviv's Stadium

A boy who has tested positive for the deadly coronavirus attended a soccer match at Tel Aviv's Bloomfield Stadium before being diagnosed, The Health Ministry reported on Wednesday. The Health Ministry instructed thousands of fans who were in attendance at the match to enter a 14-day home quarantine​

This is getting out of hand.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
The UK planning stuff is very pie-in-the-sky. I don't think there's much joined-up-thinking between different branches of government and the emergency services.

We're apparently planning for 80% infection, 6 million (about 10%) concurrent infections and a 20% reduction in workforce for the emergency services.
The police will be fine but we may restrict our response to minor crimes!
Maybe someone should tell the NHS this, because they absolutely can't cope with that sort of event.

We have 100K hospital beds, which are a bit over 90% full. Most of those are just regular wards and are not equipped with serious medical equipment (ventilators, etc.) That means we can treat 0.15% of the population and have free space for 0.015%.
About 20% of the infected go to hospital (severe cases) and 5% (critical cases) will die without serious medical intervention.
At 6 million infected, we would need hospital beds for 0.3-1.2 million people, which is way beyond what we could provide.

I think governments need to be realistic. You cannot allow 80% of the population to become infected or 10% to be infected at the same time.
All efforts should focus on keeping the effective transmission ratio below 1 with non-medical hygeine measures.

The good news is that these doomsday predictions are unrealistic. You don't get exponential spread to 10% of the total population. Controlling the spread and lowering the daily infection rate is possible. China have done it and S.Korea are doing it.

Interestingly the latest SK figures show a LOT of infection in 20-29 year olds (about 30% of positive cases and much higher than any other 10-year age range), but zero deaths out of 1500 cases. There's no breakdown on hospital admissions, unfortunately, so I don't know how sick they got. Anyway, for the ERA demographic, if you get sick stay at home and don't visit your grandparents.
SK has a little over 5000 cases and has growth is levelling off. This epidemic can be controlled.

Hellers

Oct 27, 2017
Work here has agreed to install hand sanitisers in our local IT support offices after I suggested it this morning. I'm left wondering why it was left to a lowly 2nd line support grunt in a massive University to suggest it.

And unfortunately our purchasing team can't find anyone with stock. Still. Given how plaguey a University is at the best of times it'll carry on being useful even after we're done with this particular illness.

JCH!

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tenerife
Happy to see that people are not panicking here in Barcelona. No stock problems with sanitizer/toiletpaper/gloves and I have yet to see masks out in the wild, even though they're apparently out of stock everywhere. Probably people looking to flip them.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

While big fairs and conventions are postponed or cancelled left and right in Germany, soccer matches are still going on as planned with stadiums full of tens of thousands of people. There's even a Bundesliga match in close proximity to Heinsberg (80+ cases) this saturday that won't be postponed.

Can't take germans away their soccer I guess.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So what's the criteria for shortness of breath as a symtom? M28, living in Netherlands, noticed in the gym on Monday that I was running out of breath quickly during lifting but chalked it up to not having attended it for 2 weeks and sleeping like shit the day before. Now I feel out of breath just chilling at home. No signs of fever, cough, or ache in my body though.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The University where I work in Finland has now barred any employee or student from travelling to the affected high risk countries (china, iran, italy etc) and they aren't admitting any exchange students from these countries either. If you have been to any of these countries in the last few days you're supposed to work/study from home.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
The good news is that these doomsday predictions are unrealistic. You don't get exponential spread to 10% of the total population. Controlling the spread and lowering the daily infection rate is possible. China have done it and S.Korea are doing it.
I don't consider china's success "good news" for the rest of us. Almost no other country is able to pull off that kind of coordination.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing/hearing more information about people being confirmed with coronavirus in London, with places shutting down and it not being reported anywhere - weird.

Where are you hearing this?

Thing is, the DHSC only tends to report new numbers once a day in England/Wales at least (Scotland & Northern Ireland are doing their own updates I believe) so if that's happening we'll hear proper word around 2pm.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the criteria for shortness of breath as a symtom? M28, living in Netherlands, noticed in the gym on Monday that I was running out of breath quickly during lifting but chalked it up to not having attended it for 2 weeks and sleeping like shit the day before. Now I feel out of breath just chilling at home. No signs of fever, cough, or ache in my body though.

Sleeping like shit the day before and heavy lifting probably has a lot to do with it imo. I'm going through that at the moment.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I'm still on the hunt to find sanitizer. Wallyworld was completely sold out.

I did get to see some asshole who took the back seats out of his SUV and completely fill it with what looked like a lifetime supply of Chef Boyardee and cereal, though. lol

You can use various other (often cheaper) stuff to sanitize your hands.

That sounds more like a slight panic reaction. Shortness of breath is one of the first signs.
You know the saying something "ties your throat".

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
An interesting study on the potential affect of this virus on the central nervous system.

Abstract:

Following the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus (SARS‐CoV) and Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS‐CoV), another highly pathogenic coronavirus named SARS‐CoV‐2 (previously known as 2019‐nCoV) emerged in December 2019 in Wuhan, China, and rapidly spreads around the world. This virus shares highly homological sequence with SARS‐CoV, and causes acute, highly lethal pneumonia (COVID‐19) with clinical symptoms similar to those reported for SARS‐CoV and MERS‐CoV. The most characteristic symptom of COVID‐19 patients is respiratory distress, and most of the patients admitted to the intensive care could not breathe spontaneously. Additionally, some COVID‐19 patients also showed neurologic signs such as headache, nausea and vomiting. Increasing evidence shows that coronavriruses are not always confined to the respiratory tract and that they may also invade the central nervous system inducing neurological diseases. The infection of SARS‐CoV has been reported in the brains from both patients and experimental animals, where the brainstem was heavily infected. Furthermore, some coronaviruses have been demonstrated able to spread via a synapse‐connected route to the medullary cardiorespiratory center from the mechano‐ and chemoreceptors in the lung and lower respiratory airways. In light of the high similarity between SARS‐CoV and SARS‐CoV2, it is quite likely that the potential invasion of SARS‐CoV2 is partially responsible for the acute respiratory failure of COVID‐19 patients. Awareness of this will have important guiding significance for the prevention and treatment of the SARS‐CoV‐2‐induced respiratory failure.

Error - Cookies Turned Off

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
For people that can't find sanitizer here's a recipe for making your own:

35 cl alcohol
15 cl water
1 cl glycerol

Mix it in a bottle and it's ready to use.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The UK planning stuff is very pie-in-the-sky. I don't think there's much joined-up-thinking between different branches of government and the emergency services.

We're apparently planning for 80% infection, 6 million (about 10%) concurrent infections and a 20% reduction in workforce for the emergency services.
The police will be fine but we may restrict our response to minor crimes!
Maybe someone should tell the NHS this, because they absolutely can't cope with that sort of event.

We have 100K hospital beds, which are a bit over 90% full. Most of those are just regular wards and are not equipped with serious medical equipment (ventilators, etc.) That means we can treat 0.15% of the population and have free space for 0.015%.
About 20% of the infected go to hospital (severe cases) and 5% (critical cases) will die without serious medical intervention.
At 6 million infected, we would need hospital beds for 0.3-1.2 million people, which is way beyond what we could provide.

I think governments need to be realistic. You cannot allow 80% of the population to become infected or 10% to be infected at the same time.
All efforts should focus on keeping the effective transmission ratio below 1 with non-medical hygeine measures.

Interestingly the latest SK figures show a LOT of infection in 20-29 year olds (about 30% of positive cases and much higher than any other 10-year age range), but zero deaths out of 1500 cases. There's no breakdown on hospital admissions, unfortunately, so I don't know how sick they got. Anyway, for the ERA demographic, if you get sick stay at home and don't visit your grandparents.
SK has a little over 5000 cases and has growth is levelling off. This epidemic can be controlled.

They're planning for the absolute worst case scenario, I'd much rather that than what America are doing

plow

Oct 28, 2017
This is something i dont understand:

i1XFEyk.png

How does South Korea do it? They have more than double the Cases Italy has but only half the deaths. On top of that, only 27 people are Serious or Critical compared to Italys 226.

i Mean yeah, Italy is old, i know that. But is it only that?

edit: the table isn't showing i'll add that

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

How does South Korea do it? They have more than double the Cases Italy has but only half the deaths. On top of that, only 27 people are Serious or Critical compared to Italys 226.

Monitoring and testing has been way more vigorous in S. Korea, they've been catching the serious cases early

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017

i1XFEyk.png

probably early detection? If we compare the death number today with the total cases of one or two weeks ago we might get a better comparison.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Monitoring and testing has been way more vigorous in S. Korea, they've been catching the serious cases early

Okay so there is hope? Basically some of the critical cases ( or deaths ) could have been avoided if they would have been threated faster?
I know you can't generalise it, but that could paint a different picture.

This could explain the rather low number of "critical cases" in germany. Seems like they threated them soon enough and experts are right, that the virus spread weeks earlier in Italy.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017

i1XFEyk.png

SK could track most of the infections quite early due to the cult spread (a curse and a blessing at the same time if you think about it). I haven't seen yet the age distribution of the cult members, that might also have quite a big impact. Also it depends a lot on where in the timeline the cases are. There's a bit of a delay before the increase in the number of infections and the increase in the number of deaths/severe cases from what we've seen so far.

The Big Short

Oct 29, 2017
Other than China, is it subsiding anywhere else?
Not really. Most major places are bouncing back and forth a bit.

Iran, France, Germany, and the UK are all increasing each day. Italy, Spain, US and South Korea are mostly increasing, but with a bit of back and forth. Japan is staying around 10-20 new cases each day, with a couple of outliers.

Iran is clearly doing the worst. I'm also worried about where France and Germany are headed, unless they start turning things around quickly.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
This reminds me of when I was getting anxiety attacks. Not saying that's what it is, but worth considering.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every country should be looking at what other countries are doing best and apply it to their country. Of course every country isn't ran the same so some things may no be applicable.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
One of my friends is now in self-quarantine in Scotland has flu like symptoms and one of his colleague is recently back from Italy. His wife made him phone NHS-111 and they asked him some questions about his symptoms and contacts and then they recommended a self-quarantine and they're sending out someone to test him.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well the anxiety attacks this has been causing have been fun. I have a little bit of an upper respritory thing going on right now and im not sure if i should go to the er

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Where are you hearing this?

Thing is, the DHSC only tends to report new numbers once a day in England/Wales at least (Scotland & Northern Ireland are doing their own updates I believe) so if that's happening we'll hear proper word around 2pm.
Friend of mine studying at Guild Hall - her teacher had been feeling sick, but he still came into school. Has been diagnosed with it and now 5/6 other students who he interacted with are now in isolation I've heard - haven't seen this reported.

The Lloyd's TSB at Chancery Lane station I heard last night had someone come down with it too, but again, not seen that reported anywhere yet.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Well the anxiety attacks this has been causing have been fun. I have a little bit of an upper respritory thing going on right now and im not sure if i should go to the er

Don't go to the ER, call a medical professional. 111 if you're in the UK then they can send someone to test you. Going to the ER if you have coronavirus is the worst thing you could ever possibly do. I'm an anxious person as well so I know telling you not to worry won't do anything, but if you are worried please call a doctor and it'll put your mind at ease.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PLEASE if you think you might have corona or worries DON'T just go to the hospital. Call them because if you have it you don't want to walk in and spread it. Call them ahead and let them know so they can go through it with you for what they want you to do.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like Japan last week, Italy is also considering closing all schools in the country until further notice. This is one of the many emergency changes expected to be officialized between today and tomorrow.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Assuming this gets much worse before it gets better, what do we do from here? Just wait around until the vaccine comes?

Prometheus.

Banned
Sep 17, 2019
Do de have data about what temperature is worrisome because I have 37.1 (98.78) degrees which is the bare minimum to be considered fever, but I live in a high risk country and Im asmathic.