• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Just heard its in Oman now and both Oman and UAE are stopping air travel to Iran. I hope this gets sorted by april when I go to UAE and Oman

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
i think Ill do that as well. Are you buying mainly canned goods or frozen items as well? Frozen is great, until power goes out. Though I wouldnt think an epidemic would result in power outage.Im on city drinking water so I might get a couple of 4 gallons (not too environnementaly friendly though).

Lots of rice, which we use a lot of anyway, and is very long dated (2022) Oats, large sack of potatoes and yes, various tins, and the freezer is well stocked. It's all stuff we use, and therefore will not be wasted regardless of what happens. I'm really not thinking about power or water outages at this point, and feel that is highly unlikely. We live in a rural area, and there are freshwater streams, plenty of wood and thousands of Pheasants and I have an archery bow, so we'll be ok if it really goes tits-up ha-ha ;) So, no doomsday thoughts, just sensible, low impact, precautions should it arrive in this part of the country.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I would argue that when TCM (even TCM injections, which is even more bullshit than oral) is being forcibly promoted and used during treatment of patients throughout China, it is a risk factor and just goes to show what kind of autocratic shithole the whole situaion is.

Also it is confirmed that the new wildlife trade ban does not include banning "medicinal use", which means the ban will not work.

The whole situation partly arises from typical Chinese philosophy towards medicine, and the combination of medicine and food. It is something that is in complete contradiction to modern understanding of medical and nutritional science.

And before anyone accusing me of orentialism or anyting like that, I'm Chinese and I'm tired of my compatriots spouting all those quackery for ages.

Yeah I think the role of TCM isn't entirely off topic.

I dont know how true this is but I read on reddit that here in Singapore a TCM doctor called the ambulance for one of his patients because the woman wanted some medicine for her 5 day fever, after she insisted on not wanting to go to the doctor or hospital lol.

Our 90th case lives just 1 apartment block away from mine and went to the clinic at my block. Now my family is a bit paranoid but I told them they didn't even interact with the woman. The town council will probably do a block/estate cleanup and post a PR post soon.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
User warned: Ignoring staff post with regard to low-effort fearmongering
The Health vice-minister in Iran just got diagnosed.
Iran's fucked.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Personally i bought a 3M 6500 half-face mask with encapsulated P3 filters .. I have to do some renovation later in the year so would have needed it anyways, and unlike the paper masks you see people/doctors run around with in the videos, this should actually make a somewhat airtight seal, and also have finer filters.
And i always have around 14 days of food at home, could stretch it if needed. But luckily no one tested positive here yet

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
First case in my country. Fuck sake.

It's in the capital and I'm supposed to be going there in about a week.

If this spreads, fuck that. I'm laying low, stocking up on flour and baking bread.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, unfortunately, only means that people empty the fuck out of supermarkets because they're set on panic mode.

I completely hate it when people equal a common human sense preparation with emptying supermarkets and panic mode. That's what you get when you actually don't care and let it slide until the point where it's there. I was buying a little bit more every day since it was close to my country already and now it's there. You actually produce this stuff with blinking at everyone who prepared a little bit because "uuhhh, look, buying a little bit more than usual, such a panic person duh". If everyone would be cool with it and agrees that buying just a litte bit more is totally fine then something like this wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Number of cases in Italy jumps to 283

The number of coronavirus cases in Italy has jumped to 283, Angello Borreli, head of Italy's Civil Protection Agency said in a briefing on Tuesday.

Of the cases, 212 are in Lombardy, 38 in Veneto, 23 in Emilia Romagna, three in Piedmont, three in Lazio, two in Tuscany, and one in Sicily.

The case recorded in Sicily is the first occurrence of coronavirus in southern Italy.

Out of the 283 total cases in Italy, seven patients have died, and one has recovered.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Got some bad news for my city, as the italian positive who traveled to Tenerife used to stay here (and met people I know who I also normally meet). Hoping for the best.
Some have been already quarantined.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm supposed to be speaking at a conference in Florence in the middle of next week, but a few other speakers and sponsors - mostly Italian, but some international - have already pulled out. I'm going to give it another couple of days to see how the situation over there develops, but let's just say I've got my travel insurance policy open in another tab.
The entire conference has now been cancelled. Technically it's actually been postponed until late April, but the logistics of moving something like this around are so prohibitively complex that I don't see any way it can be rescheduled - this is probably just a ploy to avoid giving sponsors their money back.

I don't mean this to sound selfish in the face of a public health emergency. I'm not bothered that the conference isn't happening - I just think it's noteworthy because of how unprecedented it is in my lifetime.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys! I've using the following live update site for Coronavirus and I'm wondering if it's accurate because it covers a lot of information and I feel it's pretty informative.

www.worldometers.info

COVID Live - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Live statistics and coronavirus news tracking the number of confirmed cases, recovered patients, tests, and death toll due to the COVID-19 coronavirus from Wuhan, China. Coronavirus counter with new cases, deaths, and number of tests per 1 Million population. Historical data and info. Daily...

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
We were planning a Poland trip for late April but the way this is going that almost seems like exactly the time Poland would get hit if the virus isn't contained where it currently is. Ugh... Don't want to risk MiL's health on a long flight and in the crowds (insert MiL joke here...).

Iran situation sounds really, really bad. Like a bit out of a zombie apocalypse book where they're trying to explain why everything got out of hand due to incompetent lying politicians.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Can some people please stop overreacting? There's no reason. It's only fueling racism and making more people anxious. Get off the internet and stop watching the news all the time. It's way more dangerous for your (mental) health than the Corona virus.

And just so you know, there's a very big chance Corona will get close to you, it's pretty much unavoidable at this point. Still, no reason to lock yourself up.

If you are a healthy, young person there's no reason to panic, stock in food and lock yourself up at home. You are only messing up your own head. Yes, it can be dangerous to (older) people, who have health problems. More people will get infected and die, which is very sad. But the chance is still very small. It's in no way a big killer all of sudden.

You know what is/was dangerous? Ebola. That's a huge killer with a very high rate of deaths. But this is in no way comparable.

Get a grip.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How fast are the numbers growing in China? Is it stabilizing or what? And is there a place to see how it's been affecting their economy so far? Do we have numbers on that? I'm curious to know how much money countries are losing as a result.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Can some people please stop overreacting? There's no reason. It's only fueling racism and making more people anxious. Get off the internet and stop watching the news all the time. It's way more dangerous for your (mental) health than the Corona virus.

And just so you know, there's a very big chance Corona will get close to you, it's pretty much unavoidable at this point. Still, no reason to lock yourself up.

If you are a healthy, young person there's no reason to panic, stock in food and lock yourself up at home. You are only messing up your own head. Yes, it can be dangerous to (older) people, who have health problems. More people will get infected and die, which is very sad. But the chance is still very small. It's in no way a big killer all of sudden.

You know what is/was dangerous? Ebola. That's a huge killer with a very high rate of deaths. But this is in no way comparable.

Get a grip.
It's so not dangerous that the largest quarantines in human history have been enacted to try and contain it.

Ebola isn't dangerous to most people because it is so deadly, it limits the spread. So terrible comparison.

Tk0n

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Get a grip.

what an idiotic take.
some of us might know elderly people. some of us might know people with health problems or have health problems themselfes.
i doubt theyre at any risk from ebola right now, while the chance to get infected with the corona virus in the next weeks/ months is very real. you wrote yourself that it looks to be pretty much unavoidable at this point. so ofcourse there is reason to be concerned.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017

Get a grip.

Worried about myself? No. Worried about my immunocompromised dad who has had pneumonia several times already? Absolutely.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017

Get a grip.
Are you okay with being the reason an old person or child dies?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I completely hate it when people equal a common human sense preparation with emptying supermarkets and panic mode. That's what you get when you actually don't care and let it slide until the point where it's there. I was buying a little bit more every day since it was close to my country already and now it's there. You actually produce this stuff with blinking at everyone who prepared a little bit because "uuhhh, look, buying a little bit more than usual, such a panic person duh". If everyone would be cool with it and agrees that buying just a litte bit more is totally fine than something like this wouldn't happen.

We have two confirmed cases in our country and suddenly:

I have not really prepared any food or something - I will do that tomorrow, buying a little more than needed. that picture grounded me a bit to stay calm and collected.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Get a grip.

'It's not ebola' is the new 'it's just another flu'

Not everyone is healthy and young. Not everyone has health insurance.

I also don't see anyone freaking out on this page. Why are you coming in here to tell us to get off the internet?

I am however getting irritated by people still coming in here to announce their travel plans in the next several weeks. Just cancel your trip.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought China changed the definition of coronavirus patients recently? Or did I just misread something.

Fubar

Oct 25, 2017
How fast are the numbers growing in China? Is it stabilizing or what? And is there a place to see how it's been affecting their economy so far? Do we have numbers on that? I'm curious to know how much money countries are losing as a result.

From what I understand, it is leveling out a bit/spreading but not as fast as before?

That said, one could definitely question whether or not the Chinese government is being entirely forthcoming, though we have no real reason to doubt them at this point.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
They've changed it like 3 times. Still seems that the number of new and active cases is down overall.

And each time they change their definition, the numbers go even lower, so one wonders what the heck are they even doing at this point. :/

We have two confirmed cases in our country and suddenly:

I have not really prepared any food or something - I will do that tomorrow, buying a little more than needed. that picture grounded me a bit to stay calm and collected.

That's exactly why it's important to do responsible preparations ahead of time, not when you start reading about new cases in your city on every newspaper, as that's definitely going to trigger people into full panic mode. Preparations at that point don't even make sense; it's too late already, and supermarkets will empty as we've been seeing in every country this virus hits.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
But now the cases are exploding elsewhere huh
I don't know what your definition of exploding is but sure. The virus is "exploding" in countries much more developed than China. You shouldn't be worried though because it takes a couple weeks for the numbers to stabilize. Look at China for example, people thought it was the end of the world when the number of cases kept going up by 50% each day but the number gradually fell.