• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
What's everyone's "endgame" set up. As in when youve unlocked everything but the very last character.

Im rocking the robot (he's a bit slow) with the drill (light), rocket (blunt), barrage (dark) and Monks Holy Light. My passives are Steel plated (sharp) with Zomnomnom for healing whilst attacking. Horsepower to give me mana when smashing objects and Smite to randomly zap enemies. Works pretty well.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've just done a level 18 dungeon whilst being level 27 myself.

I felt embarrassed for the enemies in there tbh

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
I just got the fourth gem. Level 40-ish.

Updating my tier list for fun, though it's hard because you can more or less mix and match abilities from all classes. Haven't used the Robot yet and don't have Dragon.

Top: Magician, Bodybuilder
Good: Turtle, Monk, Mermaid, Rogue, Zombie
Okay: Necromancer, Horse, Ghost, Rat
Ehh: Guard, Slug, Ranger
lol: Egg, Nobody

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
This game is freaking good so far an easy 9/10. I stopped playing MHW for this, and that most certainly wasn't my intention. I tell you, Game Pass has helped me discover some exquisite gems.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Great game, finished it around 16 hr total. Dragon was worth waiting for, but the necromancer has a special place in my heart with certain passives. Loved Randy and the story, I have nothing to complain about lol.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Was liking the game but after a few hours and without having unlocked everything, it's already boring, at the point where i must collect two gems and saw this unidentified dungeon and then the closest thing to Dracula's castle and the enemy variety really could be better, it doesn't help that not every form is fun to use or fast, and i feel like i am forced to grind just for EXP or achievements...and i am avoiding a Calamity Dungeon because in a grindy game, the developer thought it would be an amazing idea to have some plot required dungeons where you get ZERO EXP for forms.

And yes, combat has just become a chore, the setting and designs are good, and there is a charm, but it got repetitive to me really damn fast, maybe if i stop playing for a while the mood will come back, but the last dungeon was...man, it was more a chore than anything else.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've gotta be 10 - 11 hours in and no sign of slowing down. Really, really love this and it's a shame how under the radar it's flying. This kind of gameplay loop is basically exactly what I want from Gauntlet. Constant new powers, abilities and a fun aesthetic that doesn't take itself too seriously. If this came out in 2021 it would have been in my top 3 for the year I think

ilikesanta

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't see there was an OT! I'm loving this game, already 10 hours in and around lvl 30. Everyone should check this game out!

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Game definitely gets a bit too repetitive after the halfway mark, im kinda pushing myself to finish it and be done with it.

Anyways, Im just about to get the last crystal piece at level 48. Just like transience did, this is my own personal updated list of the best forms now im in late game.

S: Dragon, Robot, Necromancer, Magician.
A: Monk, Ghost, Turtle, Zombie,
B: Rat, Rogue, Slug, Bodybuilder
C: Ranger, Horse
D: Guard, Mermaid
F: Egg

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing the level 3 tower dungeon and why does it seem so hard? It's the first time it teaches you the buffs and stuff, but like I'm having a tough time at the 2nd gate. I'm getting shredded cut my level is like 5-6 instead of 3…

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I don't like how I can only kill certain enemies with certain characters. I only see a tiny icon over a few enemies that are in a mob of enemies. Am I missing something? That part of it does not seem fun.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don't like how I can only kill certain enemies with certain characters. I only see a tiny icon over a few enemies that are in a mob of enemies. Am I missing something? That part of it does not seem fun.
In some dungeons there are enemies who can only be attacked with certain attack types yes. But it gets a lot better and more open soon since the game will give you the ability to mix attacks between characters

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

you don't have to kill them with that type, you just need to hit them with that type to break the ward. Later you can customize each character with multiple skills of different types. In fact later the game will revolve around this a lot.

That being said, people going into a game where the gimmick is to change into and use multiple forms and then complain that you can't use just one is bizarre to me (I've seen a few peeps complain about this, this isn't necessarily aimed at you)

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
you don't have to kill them with that type, you just need to hit them with that type to break the ward. Later you can customize each character with multiple skills of different types. In fact later the game will revolve around this a lot.

That being said, people going into a game where the gimmick is to change into and use multiple forms and then complain that you can't use just one is bizarre to me (I've seen a few peeps complain about this, this isn't necessarily aimed at you)
I'm not complaining about wanting to use one character. My issue is with seeing the small icon in a giant mob. Maybe I'll get used to it.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
There's a sound effect too to aid you. I don't love the ward system either, but then I also think you get a little too much customization in being able to just take every class's attacks and put it on everyone. Need to use Slug or Guard? Just use the attacks that you're the most comfortable with, summoning rabbits or arrow flurry or whatever you like ad nauseam.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, magician mixed with zombie might be pretty damn crazy lmao.

I just have an army of rabbits and zombies destroying everything in my path. It's amazing.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
20220122010628-1.jpg

Complete.

I had a pretty good time, but definitely had some parts sour me.
I sincerely hope they make a sequel like they did with Guacamelee.

Overall I give the game a 7.5/10

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting to think I'm done with this game now tbh. Around 10 hours in and how repetitive it all is is getting to me.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Going in to the final boss/dungeon now. I'm gonna YouTube how to complete Gnarly dungeon as I don't know how to approach that one with everything is 9999 damage. Not sure if the egg passive damage limiter works here. Anyways had a great time with it overall. It can be repetitive and perhaps needed some other hook. But it's enjoyable on the whole. Game of the Year right now.

Edit: just watched YouTube vid for Gnarly. Fuck that. Cba with that shit.

Last edited:

ForoBud

Jul 12, 2021
Just want to put on the record once again, that this game is really great! And bloody well addictive!

Mar 19, 2021
Very near the end, just cleaning up side content now, I only have one side dungeon left and I can't for the life of me figure out a combinaation that works.

The Big Gnarly, anyone done it and has any tips? everything does 9999 dmg (so basically everything dies in 1 hit including you, well, before the passives)

Even with the egg passive to only take 1/4 of your life max each hit, and the robot passive to take less dmg, you still die super fast, especially when those snakes with the range tether get you :/

edit: nvm did it, if anyone needs tips for it hit me up :D

How did you do the big Gnarly? That's the only dungeon I have left and can't seem to figure it out. Also annoyingly missing a single fairy and I have no clue and cba to go through a guide with all 35 lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
How did you do the big Gnarly? That's the only dungeon I have left and can't seem to figure it out. Also annoyingly missing a single fairy and I have no clue and cba to go through a guide with all 35 lol

magician with egg and robot passives for less dmg taken. spam bunnies so they eat the random dmg, and they 11 shot everyone because of the dungeon affix. To be fair tho, I noticed the time I did it, the guys that do the tether beam on you didnt spawn for some reason.

I imagine the monk full screen holy light aoe would also be good for it, I didnt have the monk yet at the time.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good game. The first hour/dungeon was great, but I did lose a bit of steam when I began to realize how many choices there were. There's definitely an element of analysis paralysis/too much choice. But it's fun to explore each character and figure out what styles work best for you, mix/matching powers, etc. So after that initial dip, it pulled me back in and now I'm really digging it. (around level 18)

Current faves are the Horse and Rat, just go the poison explode power which feels like a game changer.

Mar 19, 2021
magician with egg and robot passives for less dmg taken. spam bunnies so they eat the random dmg, and they 11 shot everyone because of the dungeon affix. To be fair tho, I noticed the time I did it, the guys that do the tether beam on you didnt spawn for some reason.

I imagine the monk full screen holy light aoe would also be good for it, I didnt have the monk yet at the time.

Thanks! I'll try that later, I tried with magician but without robot passive, might equip holy light to him as well

Mar 19, 2021
the fairies show up on the map btw, the last one I was missing was underground (press R on the map screen) early in the game in a little rat tunnel, not sure how I missed it at the time

I know they do but the last one I'm missing doesn't show up for some reason, the rat tunnel one was actually my second to last one lol. I'm guessing I probably missed going into one of those caves / tunnels so that's why it doesn't show up but there's lots of them so it's gonna be a pain to figure out which one.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Obsessed with this game. Can't believe there's not more chatter about it.

It's so fucking good!!!

Oct 27, 2017
Just realised I could download this on PC too with Game Pass and was delighted to find that my save carries over. Maybe it's standard practice these days but the ease of access across my console/PC means I'm definitely persevering with the game until the end.

Currently level 17ish and have unlocked some good forms. I have taken a liking to the Rat's gnaw inflicting lots of poison damage. Appreciate the abundance of quests to work through and it's a pleasant experience just popping XP. Very happy for Drinkbox's successes up to now and I hope this finds the audience it deserves.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I'm struggling with this one.
Beat the two towers easily where you start out and keep doing them to level up my character. Beat the Grand Castle. Is there an ideal place to go next? Map is huge and I keep running into towers way above my level.
I'm level 18 and just can't seem to find a character I like even though I have 9 to choose from.
I've mixed and matched abilities too.
Maybe I just need to look up the best character set up and go with that.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Tried once to get the third fragment but died and went somewhere else. After finishing todays session I wonder if that was the last time I played this game.

Honestly I believe it fulfilled its purpose already.

transience

Oct 27, 2017
U3LBl44.png

There's a bunch of idle time in that clear time but I also went really slow and grinded a lot to get most to all of the abilities and every form. Really fun game. Kinda wish it were a little shorter, though, as the combat does get a little repetitive. Then again, that's on me because I enjoyed getting all the abilities.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Just realised I could download this on PC too with Game Pass and was delighted to find that my save carries over. Maybe it's standard practice these days but the ease of access across my console/PC means I'm definitely persevering with the game until the end.

Yea, this part of game pass is so useful. Lately, I've been playing on PC, but then will play on xcloud and the save loads every time. It's great.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Finished it in 22 hrs. Only thing I didn't bother going for was maxing out all characters. Got everyone B and higher though. The odd S rank if I liked them or their abilities needed maxxing out. Did the Gnarly dungeon pretty easily in the end with the egg and robot damage limiters. Won't be bothering to play it on NG+ however.

Really enjoyed the game. We need more games like this. 8/10 for me.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
It's really such a cool video game in its purest sense. You have no idea why you are in this magical world and can transform into all of these different forms, but who cares really? The gameplay options in this game are so varied and it feels satisfying to try out different builds. You always have a sense of progression with quests. The humor is on point, too. It's just a fun quirky little game.

I was glad to read that this game was the team's biggest Steam launch ever, so it wasn't forgotten there with all of the news this week.

Last edited:

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I'm pretty sure I was meant to get a game over or something when a character I was meant to protect died. Instead it just took away my ability to move, and I had to quit the game. OOPS.

I really like this game a lot, with my only complain being the weird blurry vaseline filter which I would very much like removed.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling sort of done with the game already and I'm only about to do the third big dungeon. Felts daunting to see that I still have half the map unexplored when I don't think the gameplay loop will sustain 2/3 more regions. Might stop here while I still feel positive on the game.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
I'm feeling sort of done with the game already and I'm only about to do the third big dungeon. Felts daunting to see that I still have half the map unexplored when I don't think the gameplay loop will sustain 2/3 more regions. Might stop here while I still feel positive on the game.
Keep unlocking different characters as some are really cool. The magician was really fun to use and has some cool abilities. Plus once you can mix and match abilities it opens things up a bit more.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I played a total of 10hs, a friend of mine is at 26hs in the final dungeon. Asked me for help but I fail to connect to servers everytime. He, however, can get into my session just fine. We tried Spelunky 2 and Aliens Fireteam Elite and had no problem, but there's no way I can get into his session of Nobody Saves the World.

My only theory is that I'm underleveled but that would be absolutely pointless and nonsensical considering I wouldn't be using my profile at all.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Much like everyone else feeling burnt out at about 10 hours. I really enjoyed the game until I got to the third area and just kinda was done. It's a game where it's good to pick up and burn a bit of time but I think it can lead to burnout kinda quick