• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Honestly, this right here is partly why I'm interested in BOTW 2, or whatever it'll be called. Nintendo rarely embarks on such projects with such a huge size. I doubt that we'll ever see anything like this for a while after it's done unless they plan to make the BOTW duology into a trilogy (which I'd be all for).
3D Mario games, Smash Bros and Animal Crossing are all big budget too

Sounds more like you want a big budget open world game made by Nintendo i.e BOTW haha

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I hope Nintendo keeps working relationships with the indies it partners with like EA instead of just moving on after doing one game with X studio

Oct 26, 2017
Do we see Prime 4 and the new 2D Mario game launching before Switch 2 or will they be games to push the Switch 2?

Last edited:

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
I'm still thinking Prime 4 will be a cross-gen title like BOTW1 and some other games throughout history (Twilight Princess, Halo Infinite, etc).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Metroid Prime doesn't have the ability to push consoles so it will be released at the end of Switch's life (and there will probably be people complaining that it's not on Switch 2 because of graphics or whatever).

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Was it discussed that Pokemon Smile was created by Nintendo EPD's Yosuke Oshino, creator of Mario Maker? Looks like it was an idea he was working on before Nintendo decided to push it as a TPC / Pokemon product.

EliGamerX

Mar 26, 2020
I absolutely believe that this is a different person and not the one from EPD. I'm 99.99% certain that TPC has their own mobile development division that does stuff like Pokemon Pass. I think they were responsible. Also, Nintendo staff only appear in the credits of Quest and Cafe Mix, which were also released on Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Was it discussed that Pokemon Smile was created by Nintendo EPD's Yosuke Oshino, creator of Mario Maker? Looks like it was an idea he was working on before Nintendo decided to push it as a TPC / Pokemon product.
Well holy shit, is Smile the first EPD-made entry since Pokemon Box? I thought Nintendo didn't get much direct involvement in design and such anymore once TPC took full charge of the series, as they were formed for. Such a waste though, I hope we get a major Switch Pokemon game by EPD again someday. They did create the Stadium games after all.

BTW who was the composer of Smile? Any link to the credits if there are any available?

Oct 26, 2017
Metroid Prime doesn't have the ability to push consoles so it will be released at the end of Switch's life (and there will probably be people complaining that it's not on Switch 2 because of graphics or whatever).

It is a graphically driven series that will be super outclassed by the end of the Switch's lifespan by other graphically driven IPs though.

The other issue is literally just when it will release and when the Switch 2 will release. Prime 4 launching in 2023 ish seems possible and that could be when the Switch 2 is out.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt it. I think TPC has their own mobile development division that does stuff like Pokemon Pass. I think they were responsible. Also, Nintendo staff only appear in the credits of Quest and Cafe Mix (and maybe Shuffle Mobile), which all were also released on Nintendo hardware.

It's in the actual credits. It was Oshino who produced and developed the software. The rest of the staff are small contractors from Litalico/CreekRiver/Nasu etc.

EliGamerX

Mar 26, 2020
Again, because he is the only person who could be from Nintendo in the credits, my point still stands. If Nintendo actually did make this, wouldn't there be more staff from Nintendo there (producers, coordinators, support staff, etc.)?

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Again, because he is the only person who could be from Nintendo in the credits, my point still stands. If Nintendo actually did make this, wouldn't there be more staff from Nintendo there (producers, coordinators, support staff, etc.)?

It's a really simple free app. Oshino probably developed the original prototype (and it was probably on a different hardware) before it was ported over by
LITALICO Inc. with additional help by NASU Co., Ltd. and CREEK & RIVER Co., Ltd.

Really small low budget affair.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
It is a graphically driven series that will be super outclassed by the end of the Switch's lifespan by other graphically driven IPs though.

The other issue is literally just when it will release and when the Switch 2 will release. Prime 4 launching in 2023 ish seems possible and that could be when the Switch 2 is out.
If it is a graphically driven series, Nintendo should abandon it now because it does not matter how Switch 2 is, it will not look as good as Gears of War 6 or God of War 2. No ip has needed to be graphically like the competition to succeed on Switch, if Metroid Prime is the only one that needs it, some problem has the ip or the gameplay.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Well holy shit, is Smile the first EPD-made entry since Pokemon Box? I thought Nintendo didn't get much direct involvement in design and such anymore once TPC took full charge of the series, as they were formed for. Such a waste though, I hope we get a major Switch Pokemon game by EPD again someday. They did create the Stadium games after all.

BTW who was the composer of Smile? Any link to the credits if there are any available?

A game havin EPD staff, doesn't mean that it was made in-house. EPD oversees all Nintendo software, so it's safe to assume that some EPD staff would be involved in the project like always.

morromocotudo

Nov 19, 2017
Do you know what percent of staffers who worked on Super Mario Party worked on Clubhouse Games?

There were 170 people credited in Super Mario Party (not counting Nintendo staff, localization teams and voice actors), of whom 54 worked on Clubhouse Games (most of them are from CA Production). I made a list on a Spanish forum about a month ago. (Link)

Last edited:

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
A game havin EPD staff, doesn't mean that it was made in-house. EPD oversees all Nintendo software, so it's safe to assume that some EPD staff would be involved in the project like always.

This case is different, moreso Oshino (who's a programmer) being listed as both lead developer and producer first and separately - probably developing the original prototype here that was reskinned with Pokemon on mobile.

Do you know what percent of staffers who worked on Super Mario Party worked on Clubhouse Games?

Yeah morromocotudo has a good list, but CA Productions has sub-contracted almost every NDCube game ever. Hard to distinguish between the two.

Jan 11, 2018
If it is a graphically driven series, Nintendo should abandon it now because it does not matter how Switch 2 is, it will not look as good as Gears of War 6 or God of War 2. No ip has needed to be graphically like the competition to succeed on Switch, if Metroid Prime is the only one that needs it, some problem has the ip or the gameplay.

It will probably look better than both them due to 60FPS and Retros second to none art direction.

EliGamerX

Mar 26, 2020
Another major NDcube development partner is Will Co., Ltd. (http://www.will-net.co.jp). They've been involved in every Mario/Wii Party game starting with Mario Party Advance (and they did work on Pocket Camp), but they did not work on Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics. (They also did the papercraft battles in M&L: Paper Jam.)

(Their website only lists the names of SMP and Pocket Camp, but the terms "party games" and "minigame collection" line up with a Mario/Wii Party game released that year (though there is no entry parallel to MP10).)

Oct 26, 2017
Does Nintendo have any secret stake or exclusivity contract with CAPRoduction? As far as I know, they've only worked with Nintendo/ND Cube since the latter was reborn in 2010. Nintendo should consider buying them and just making them a permanent side studio for ND Cube. They seem perfect for each other as CAP worked with Hudson on many games. Will Co., Ltd. also.

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before but people have over corrected with the whole "TPC is separate from Nintendo!!!" thing. Yes, they are separate entities but Nintendo still owns 1/3 of them / the franchise, own all the relevant trademarks, etc. They are heavily involvrd with the operations of TPC, there is a lot of coordination that goes on even in games that you think are wholly separate from Nintendo.

The Pokémon Company's primary reason to exist is to make money for its three shareholders, Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
the first prime moved a decent amount of GCs considering it had an attach rate of >10%

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
It will probably look better than both them due to 60FPS and Retros second to none art direction.
we don't know if they'll go for 60fps again (I hope so but we can't just assume this) and they have completely new people in these roles. Can't just transplant Prime Trilogy expectations onto this one.

the first prime moved a decent amount of GCs considering it had an attach rate of >10%
To that argument, MP1 was also a tech showpiece on top-tier hardware at the time. MP4 might melt a Switch but it won't be a showpiece for state-of-the-art bells and whistles.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Exactly, in its day Metroid Prime stood out a lot for its graphics, it was like Killzone: Shadowfall (but good).

Metroid Prime 4 either on Switch or Switch 2 is not going to stand out for its graphics. Just like BOTW didn't stand out for its graphics if you compare it to Horizon: Zero Dawn. BOTW stood out for other factors and so will have to do Metroid Prime 4 to succeed.

Jan 11, 2018
we don't know if they'll go for 60fps again (I hope so but we can't just assume this) and they have completely new people in these roles. Can't just transplant Prime Trilogy expectations onto this one.

The Art Director is new, but wasn't hired until at least a year into development, where shit tons of art assets were surely created in that time. Retro's art team, out of all their departments, seems to be the one that has retained the most talent from the Prime days. I have absolutely no worries in terms of how strong the art will be.

Retro is 5/5 in terms of making 60 FPS games, no reason to think they would change.

resetoeros1

May 30, 2018
Exactly, in its day Metroid Prime stood out a lot for its graphics, it was like Killzone: Shadowfall (but good).

Metroid Prime 4 either on Switch or Switch 2 is not going to stand out for its graphics. Just like BOTW didn't stand out for its graphics if you compare it to Horizon: Zero Dawn. BOTW stood out for other factors and so will have to do Metroid Prime 4 to succeed.

Hopefully it ends up in Nintendo making a Halo Infinite killer in a mechanics and innovation level. Another trite metridvania title?No thax.

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it does put Metroid in an awkward spot that the series is Nintendo's only really graphically focused series when Nintendo physically can't make platforms more than 15% as powerful as the competition.

But releasing on a Switch 2 10-20% as powerful as the competition will be a lot closer than releasing on the Switch 1 which is 2% as powerful as the competition.

The other issue is just whether development should be expected to finish before the Switch 2 should be expected to launch. If Prime 4 takes 5 years to make, the Switch 2 will obviously be out by then.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Yes, it does put Metroid in an awkward spot that the series is Nintendo's only really graphically focused series when Nintendo physically can't make platforms more than 15% as powerful as the competition.

But releasing on a Switch 2 10-20% as powerful as the competition will be a lot closer than releasing on the Switch 1 which is 2% as powerful as the competition.

The other issue is just whether development should be expected to finish before the Switch 2 should be expected to launch. If Prime 4 takes 5 years to make, the Switch 2 will obviously be out by then.
I'm not really on board with you calling MP (or Metroid in general?) a "graphically focused series" because that's not what it is at all.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not really on board with you calling MP (or Metroid in general?) a "graphically focused series" because that's not what it is at all.

The series had a bunch of graphically standout games in the past and was praised constantly in the past for its technological prowess. The series has barely existed since Nintendo dropped out of the power wars with Other M being the only console Metroid game in 13 years and there only being two console Metroid games from the Wii onward.

Plus Metroid Prime is pretty comparable to a lot of immersive sims and those have traditionally had a huge graphical focus.

We'll see about Prime 4 and what it's trying to do.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Retro is 5/5 in terms of making 60 FPS games, no reason to think they would change.

The graphical quality they're probably expected to shoot for + Switch's limitations means I can see there being issues hitting 60.

I'm not disparaging the Switch, it's simply reality.

However, if Bayonetta 3 hits 60 then maybe Retro can make MP4 get there too.

Jan 11, 2018
The graphical quality they're probably expected to shoot for + Switch's limitations means I can see there being issues hitting 60.

I'm not disparaging the Switch, it's simply reality.

However, if Bayonetta 3 hits 60 then maybe Retro can make MP4 get there too.

There is nothing to suggest Retro wouldn't go for 60FPS based on their history. Not only do they go for 60, it's always been nearly ROCK SOLID 60 regardless of what is going on onscreen. Platinum have frequent dips in nearly all their games, and I expect Bayo 3 to be no different.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Prime 4 is definitely going to be an end of life cycle title like Samus Returns and it's going to get outshined by the Switch 2, resulting in low sales, perpetuating the state of the franchise which hasn't had a chance to shine and grow since the first Prime screams into the void.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing to suggest Retro wouldn't go for 60FPS based on their history. Not only do they go for 60, it's always been nearly ROCK SOLID 60 regardless of what is going on onscreen. Platinum have frequent dips in nearly all their games, and I expect Bayo 3 to be no different.

You are correct that there's nothing to suggest they wouldn't aim for 60 FPS, but considering every console game they originally developed was in the GameCube-Wii-Wii U lineage, the switch to the Switch may present a different challenge.

I think it's pretty clear that you have technical wizards at Monolith who have released two and a half games for the Switch and they're still stuck with low resolution and less than perfect framerates. The stuff they did on the Wii and Wii U was technically amazing, but along came the Switch and your learned tricks no longer work as well.

Oct 26, 2017
You are correct that there's nothing to suggest they wouldn't aim for 60 FPS, but considering every console game they originally developed was in the GameCube-Wii-Wii U lineage, the switch to the Switch may present a different challenge.

I think it's pretty clear that you have technical wizards at Monolith who have released two and a half games for the Switch and they're still stuck with low resolution and less than perfect framerates. The stuff they did on the Wii and Wii U was technically amazing, but along came the Switch and your learned tricks no longer work as well.

? Xenoblade 2 was a really low budget effort, most of Monolith was working on BotW which looks great.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
? Xenoblade 2 was a really low budget effort, most of Monolith was working on BotW which looks great.

XenoBlade 2 was not a low budget effort by any means in the land of Nintendo development (for Sony yes). Also, BOTW was done by Nintendo's tech team - Monolith's tech team had nothing to do with it as they were responsible for their own game. The extended Monolith art asset team didn't contribute to EPD"s technology or diminish Monolith's game programmers.

Plus, BOTW is also an older engine. RFA/BOTW2 supposedly run on the newer Switch based engine.

Last edited:

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
"low budget"?

My point is that they took the Xeno engine that was aces on Wii U, upped some visuals, and across Xeno 2, Torna and XCDE they've eeked out better performance each time but hardly like we hoped for. There no magic fix to the Switch's CPU limitations.

Oct 26, 2017
"low budget"?

My point is that they took the Xeno engine that was aces on Wii U, upped some visuals, and across Xeno 2, Torna and XCDE they've eeked out better performance each time but hardly like we hoped for. There no magic fix to the Switch's CPU limitations.

"aces" is a bit much, lol. Xenoblade X's environments look great but the character models and animation are really bad.

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Considering the days of low-level access to hardware are mostly long gone (and I'm fairly sure this was true for the platforms you mentioned as well) I don't see why a top internal Nintendo studio should have any issues with the Switch.

Of course this doesn't imply we can be 100% sure we'll have a 60fps game, but it's definitely reasonable to expect it with a track record like the one of Retro Studios (and Nintendo's own development philosophy for the last ~15 years at least, with a huge push for 60fps even when it made sense NOT to do so - i.e. they could have easily chosen to avoid 60fps and have slightly better graphics with 30fps games considering platforms like Wii or WiiU, heck even the Switch were less powerful than the competition, yet they didn't).

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disagree with that at all, I simply don't think it's as much of a given as some seem to think.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro hired somebody else from the movie industry as a Lighting Artist. We're getting our Uncharted game boys and girls.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
I feel like Zelda, Pikmin, Xenoblade and Metroid are the Nintendo IP that tend to stand out graphically.

Prime 2 and 3 were probs the best looking games on their respective systems, idk if it's controversial to consider Metroid one of Nintendo's most graphically focused IP.