• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NA PR - would've posted this on Thursday but between getting a booster and recovering from it...
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch
Dead Cells: The Queen and the Sea DLC – Battle your way through sunken shipwrecks, scale a burning lighthouse and confront your deadliest foe yet in Dead Cells: The Queen and the Sea DLC. This late-game content gives you an alternative to the High Peak Castle, Derelict Distillery and Throne Room biomes. This DLC also includes extras like nine new weapons, a not-so-cute pet, loads of outfits and new enemies to bash.

ASTRONEER – ASTRONEER is set during the 25th century Intergalactic Age of Discovery, where Astroneers explore the frontiers of outer space, risking their lives in harsh environments to unearth rare discoveries and unlock the mysteries of the universe. On this adventure, players can work together to build custom bases above or below ground, create vehicles to explore a vast solar system and use terrain to create anything they can imagine. A player's creativity and ingenuity are the key to seeking out and thriving while on exciting planetary adventures!

Digital Spotlight
Mario Tennis Aces – Looking to start a hobby or #LearnSomethingNew this year? Then swing into action with Mario and up your tennis game! In Mario Tennis Aces you'll learn how to unleash an arsenal of shots in all-out tennis bouts with friends, family and fan-favorite Mushroom Kingdom characters. Develop on-the-court strategies by completing missions and boss battles in Adventure mode, work up a sweat with intuitive motion controls in Swing Mode and then test your hard-earned skills in intense rallies with up to four players. Mario Tennis Aces is available for purchase now in Nintendo eShop.

Game Trials:
Ready for Adventure? – Then this week's free Game Trial was destined for you! In the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game, Captain Toad stars in his own puzzling quest where he'll dodge dangers and track treasures across dozens and dozens of trap-filled courses. Until 11:59 p.m. PT on Jan. 20, Nintendo Switch Online members can play the full game … for free!* That's a waddle-worthy deal! If you enjoy adventuring with Captain Toad and would like more time to explore those smoldering volcanoes, hazardous steam engines and haunted houses, you can purchase the game at a 30% discount as part of the Nintendo eShop New Year Sale, which runs until Jan. 16 at 11:59 p.m. PT. Better move fast – those turnips aren't going to pluck themselves!

Nintendo Mobile:
Race the Lion City – Race the sights of the beautiful Lion City with the Singapore Tour, the latest limited-time event in the Mario Kart Tour mobile game, happening now! Zoom, drift and boost your way around Marina Bay in the new course Singapore Speedway and its R, T and R/T variants. How many iconic sights can you spot? Plus, look for a legion of Luigi in the pipes, including Luigi (Painter) and Luigi (Vacation), along with the Singapore-signature Roaring Racer kart. The Singapore Tour runs until 9:59 p.m. PT on Jan. 25. Enjoy the sights!

Nintendo eShop sales:
Start your year off with some fun! Save up to 30% on select digital games like Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics, Super Mario Maker 2 and more in the New Year Sale. Shop on Nintendo.com or your Nintendo Switch system to purchase and download games so you can start playing them right away. My Nintendo members also earn Gold Points* on qualifying digital purchases. These deals last through 11:59 p.m. PT on Jan. 16. For more information, please visit https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals/#new-year-sale.

Also new this week in Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch:

Aery – Dreamscape
Alone Musc
Arcade Archives Mutant Night
Arcade Archives ORIUS
Arcade Archives SUPER PAC-MAN
Arcadia Fallen
Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 Digital Bundle
Biker Garage: Mechanic Simulator
Breakneck City
Canceled! Super Puzzles Dream
Cartoon Tower Defense
Chess – Clash of Kings
Christmas Racing
Creepy Balls
Crumble
Day of the Dead: Solitaire Collection
DEMON GAZE EXTRA
Demoniaca: Everlasting Night
Dobo's Heroes – Available Jan. 17
Drowning Cross – Available Jan. 18
Dual Souls: The Last Bearer
Duel Princess
DRIVE DRIFT X
dweeMIXED: Thwee Pack
ESCHATOS
Epic Dumpster Bear 2: He Who Bears Wins
Eternal Radiance
Eufloria HD
Faircroft's Antiques: The Forbidden Crypt Collector's Edition
FOCUS INDIES BUNDLE: Curse of the Dead Gods + Shady Part of Me + Aeon Must Die!
Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell
Frogs vs. Storks
Gal Galaxy Pain
Geography Quiz Festival: Guess the Countries
Guild of Ascension – Available Jan. 19
Headland
Heaven Dust 2
hocus 2
I Love Finding Cats! – Collector's Edition
Jigsaw Fun: Greatest Cities
Justice Chronicles
Kansei: The Second Turn HD – Available Jan. 14
Kubi Adventures – Available Jan. 17
Labyrinth Legend – Available Jan. 18
McDROID
Moorhuhn Jump and Run 'Traps and Treasures'
Nova-111
Pinball Jam – Available Jan. 14
Pixel Game Maker Series GAME BATTLE TYCOON
Pixel Game Maker Series MEDIUM-NAUT
Putt-Putt Travels Through Time
QuickSpot
Racing Karts
Real Time Battle Shogi Online
Santa Throw
Shadow Man Remastered – Available Jan. 17
Shinya Ichizoku The Battle for Hokkaido's Delicious Foods
Sky Games
Sniper Time: The Shooting Range
Sorcerer Knights
Splotches
Star Balls
Superpanda
Teamfight Manager
Theatre of Sorrows
Vivid Knight – Available Jan. 19
Warshmallows
Watermelon Blocks
Work It Out! Job Challenge
Zombie Watch

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
That Taiko Drum N Fun game is at its lowest price in the UK (£7.99)

Tempted, very tempted *strokes chin*

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I'm looking for a roguelike/lite soulsesque (I'm just going by memory here) game that had a pixel sprite of a knight slashing his sword on the cover that someone here reccomended getting a few weeks ago, does anyone know what game I'm referring to?

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking for a roguelike/lite soulsesque (I'm just going by memory here) game that had a pixel sprite of a knight slashing his sword on the cover that someone here reccomended getting a few weeks ago, does anyone know what game I'm referring to?
Sounds like Rogue Legacy possibly?
www.nintendo.com

Rogue Legacy for Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Official Site

Buy Rogue Legacy and shop other great Nintendo products online at the official My Nintendo Store.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was quick, next month's N64 NSO game is confirmed to be Majora's Mask.

That just leaves F-Zero, Mario Golf, Pokémon Snap, & Kirby 64 (which I imagine will be re-released in April to coincide with Kirby's 30th anniversary). Kinda hope we learn of some new games soon.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Just wanted to chime in here and say that my first wallet damage report of the year was What The Golf? along with Red Faction: Guerilla (I already own/played it on 360 but $3 was too good to pass up!), and Super Crush KO.

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Seeing Windjammers II in "also releasing" for the PR is kind of surprising.

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack
Banjo-Kazooie – Launching today, experience a magical adventure with an unlikely duo when the Nintendo 64 game Banjo-Kazooie Beak Bombs its way onto Nintendo Switch and the Nintendo 64 – Nintendo Switch Online library. Join a honey bear named Banjo and a breegull named Kazooie as they fly, swim and fire eggs across a multitude of wild locales on their mission to rescue Banjo's sister Tooty from the wicked witch Gruntilda in this action game. Originally released in 1998, this marks the first time this title has appeared on a Nintendo system in over 20 years – guh-huh! Banjo-Kazooie is available starting today for players with a Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack membership.

RPGolf Legends – Join forces with the spirit of a golf club and embark on a grand quest to become a legend and save the sport of golf from an evil force in this golf-action-adventure. Travel around in a unique open world where monsters and golf coexist, help people with their quests, acquire new skills, special items and more! Whether you spend your time golfing, fishing, crafting or exploring, your fantastic journey is about to start!

Baby Storm – Your mission is to take care of adorable (and sometimes troublemaking) kids in a kindergarten! You are equipped with toys for playtime, food for mealtime, wipes, diapers and even a nifty radio-controlled vacuum robot to help you with cleaning. Maintain order, run, clean and feed your way to the highest score, in solo or local multiplayer mode with up to four players. Make your way through clever and original levels, earn loads of points, unlock new stages and features, and encounter special babies with mysterious powers. Should you succeed in your mission, you'll become the best babysitter in the universe!

Digital Spotlight
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain – Celebrate Brain Teaser Month and take on a series of brain-buzzing activities – like finding the hidden phrase in this game description – with this multiplayer* party game that anyone can play! Flex your big brain power across a variety of challenges in five different categories. You'll solve picture and number puzzles, test your memory and have a blast as you power up your Big Brain Brawn Score. Go brain-to-brain with friends and family in four-player matches or see how you stack up to brainiacs around the world in Ghost Clash mode. Everyone can play together at varying difficulties, so a kid can hold their own against an adult in this clash of mental marvels! Big Brain Academy: Brain vs. Brain is now available for purchase. Want a sneak peek at the game? Download the free demo now in Nintendo eShop to try three activities in Solo and Party mode.

Did you uncover the hidden phrase in the paragraph above? If not, here's a hint: Find all the bold letters!

Nintendo eShop sales:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

AirRevo
Alien Destroyer
Angelo and Deemon: One Hell of a Quest – Available Jan. 25
Animal Revolt Battle Simulator
AnShi
Arcade Archives GUNNAIL
Attack on Beetle
Blackwind
Cat Go! Ultimate Challenge
Cop Car Police Simulator Chase
Demon Hunter: Ascendance
Dragon Hills 2
Dungeons of Shalnor – Available Jan. 21
Ellada Games RPG Bundle
Froggy Crossing – Available Jan. 26
Go Minimal – Available Jan. 21
Hammer Kid – Available Jan. 22
Horrid Henry's Krazy Karts – Available Jan. 21
I Love Finding Pups! – Collector's Edition
Jack 'n' Hat
JankBrain
Japanese Rail Sim: Journey to Kyoto
JIGSAW MASTER KIDS
Kinduo – Available Jan. 21
Lost Lands: Redemption
Make the Burger
Merek's Market
MONOPOLY for Nintendo Switch + MONOPOLY Madness
Nature
PICROSS S7
Pirate Treasure: Island of Mazes
Pixel Game Maker Series THUNDER STRIKER
PopSlinger – Available Jan. 26
Pyramid Quest
Queeny Army
Racing Classics PRO: Drag Race & Real Speed
Radirgy Swag
Reverie Knights Tactics – Available Jan. 25
Road Bustle
Scrapnaut
Sit-Ups Workout
SNK VS. CAPCOM: CARD FIGHTERS' CLASH
Space Stella: The Unknown Planet
Summertime Madness – Available Jan. 26
Swing Saga
The Company Man – Available Jan. 21
The Longest Road on Earth – Available Jan. 25
The Shadow You
To Be Or Not To Be
Top Bike: Racing & Moto Drag
Trigger Dungeon
Turbo Shot
Unlock the cat
VAZIAL SAGA XX
Windjammers 2

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
FYI, KOTOR was finally patched today. See patch notes below.

The two big ones are they finally reduced that gigantic dialog box that is at the top of the screen during combat and they have added a "Cheat" menu which is clearly just straight up the Dev's Debug Menu haha.

-The size of the combat message box has been reduced.

-Addressed a crash that occurred when opening a lockbox on Taris in Spanish.

-Addressed an issue where incorrect button icons would appear in some tutorial prompts.

-Addressed an issue where certain NPC voice lines were absent in gameplay

-Addressed an issue where the lightsaber icons for the Heart of the Guardian and the Mantle of the Force crystals didn't match the blade colors.

-Addressed an issue where the colors for the full alignment icons are swapped.

-Japanese localizations have been added

-A number of cheats have been added to the game (these can be accessed by clicking in the left joystick three times).

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Finally! I've been playing the KOTOR port and it's fun but buggy. Hopefully this update helps. I'm gonna check out some of these cheats.

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ don't get me wrong I absolutely love Grindstone, but does it ever bloody end?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
adam prime did you ever finish up Shadowerse? 55 hours in, and the game has been gradually losing me more and more. I'm 100% convinced the AI just straight up cheats near the end, and I feel the game relies too much on Rock Paper Scissor decks.

Speaking of decks, im not card game expert, but I did win my local magic tournaments one or twice back in my day, and I hate how the decks in this game are built. Like it's 40 card decks with 3 of each card, which is way overkill for some expensive or situational cards, except of course, the AI always draws what it needs because theres 3 of each.

Like imagine a Magic White deck having 4 wrath of god and 4 armaggedon or something, and then be able to draw them back to back... to back as needed... like the AI does here. I dunno, the endgame is just rubbing me the wrong way now. The worst part is, you can't even say "well use the same decks" because you never get the same crazy perfect card combinations the AI seems to get, because... you know, we can't cheat :P

Or I'm just salty but I'm deffo not having fun anymore.

GagazetSK

Feb 18, 2019
Auckland, New Zealand
adam prime did you ever finish up Shadowerse? 55 hours in, and the game has been gradually losing me more and more. I'm 100% convinced the AI just straight up cheats near the end, and I feel the game relies too much on Rock Paper Scissor decks.

Speaking of decks, im not card game expert, but I did win my local magic tournaments one or twice back in my day, and I hate how the decks in this game are built. Like it's 40 card decks with 3 of each card, which is way overkill for some expensive or situational cards, except of course, the AI always draws what it needs because theres 3 of each.

Like imagine a Magic White deck having 4 wrath of god and 4 armaggedon or something, and then be able to draw them back to back... to back as needed... like the AI does here. I dunno, the endgame is just rubbing me the wrong way now. The worst part is, you can't even say "well use the same decks" because you never get the same crazy perfect card combinations the AI seems to get, because... you know, we can't cheat :P

Yea, that's why I've spent so long playing it. Since I posted about recommending it I think I advanced one chapter then moved on to playing something else. I'll get back to it eventually.
And yea, I understand the rage about the AI. Pretty sure they cheat, so many games lost having done zero damage to them. Hell, more often than not my entire first 10 draws will be 6+ cost cards, and that's not counting the redraw, while my deck will be made of 20+ 1 or 2 cost cards so I think the RNG is a lie too...

OP
OP
Jonnykong

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, I 100 percented the game over the course of a very long four day weekend. I just couldn't put it down.

I don't blame you cos it's a superb game, but other things have come along that have grabbed my attention, so I get those out my system then come back to do more grinding.

I can't believe how long it took me to realise how amazing and overpowered the vine sword is.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Not Darkest Dungeon, the art style was somewhat cutesy

3000th duel? it's not a roguelike tho

header.jpg

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeeeeezuz... Card Fighters Clash is so good. I haven't put it down since it came out.
Yep, I was addicted! Put 40hrs in total and had to put the game down, could have easily played 10s of hours more but the grind for missing cards was too much for me.

That and I've still got a huge Switch backlog to clear, nearly finished Hotline Miami. I forgot how good that game was

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Yea, that's why I've spent so long playing it. Since I posted about recommending it I think I advanced one chapter then moved on to playing something else. I'll get back to it eventually.
And yea, I understand the rage about the AI. Pretty sure they cheat, so many games lost having done zero damage to them. Hell, more often than not my entire first 10 draws will be 6+ cost cards, and that's not counting the redraw, while my deck will be made of 20+ 1 or 2 cost cards so I think the RNG is a lie too...

Hey, I JUST finished beat the game, the post-game final super boss a few minutes ago! Funny you should mention cheating because the final post-game boss literally breaks the rules of the game and does CHEAT you hard lol!
1. He starts the battle with an amulet that doesn't allow you to deal damage via spells or effects.
2. Once you knock the final boss down to 0 HP, he revives himself back to 20 HP
3. He starts phase 2 with an unkillable 4/8 card that you literally cannot attack or do spells or anything to it lmao

Here's my final screenshot:

Short answer: No, I don't think the AI cheats at all.

Longer answer: It's complicated.
You said you have MTG experience. I have thousands of hours in competitive Pokemon video game experience. Similar those two games, losing is complicated, there's so many factors and variables that go into it. One of my internet friends has a whole YouTube series about losing in competitive Pokemon.

What's common about any game where RNG is present, inexperienced players will blame bad RNG for their losses. Which is tough because YES, sometimes you just get boned and get unlucky or bad rolls or nothing goes your way and everything goes your opponents way. I would agree, that DOES happen in Shadowverse. In my 85 hour play through I vividly remember at least 2 losses that were exactly you how described: I literally drew ZERO playable cards in in my first 6 turns and couldn't play a single thing, and lose so hard. It happened so rarely that I actually remember that lol!

But overall, that was SO rare. And once I switched to "expert created" decks that I found online, I didn't have that problem anymore. Again this game is similar to Pokemon VGC: the teams built by "pros" are so much better than the stuff you can come up with on your own. I have no desire to play competitive PvP Shadowverse, but what I've read from those who do play it competitive on their reddit, everyone who plays says that the game is better competitively balanced than Hearthstone or MTG Online. Now, its less popular than those games because there isn't that much attention or budget put into Shadowverse, but the game is "balanced" and there's a lot more viable deck builds than those other games.

As far as the specific feeling of the AI cheating and getting "exactly what it needed". Hmm... maybe? I would almost argue the opposite: it felt to me that when I would lose to really strong decks and rematch them, by the 3rd or 4th rematch I would notice that they DIDN'T draw their super strong cards and I was able to win. NOW, does this mean that the game "rubberbands" you and notices if you're losing over and over in story mode, that the game will intentionally draw worse so you can win? MAYBE. But again, reading online - especially over what the actual pro competitive PVP Shadowverse players have to say about the game on Reddit... nobody makes that allegation. And I would agree.

Much like how when I first started playing competitive Pokemon the game felt "so RNG" after playing for 85 hours... after about 850 hours of the game... I would say "Yeah I lost because I played bad.". I would say the same for Shadowverse. I feel like if I were to play the game through AGAIN, I would lose A LOT less. I lost the most in this game at around Chapter 6. And I can definitely say that I just UNDERSTAND the game so much better after finishing all 10 chapters, that little mistakes that I made early that led to losses, I wouldn't do anymore. And that's what I LOVE about the game: it punishes you for making mistakes! I noticed if I "mis-clicked" and reacted to quickly without thinking and immediately regretted a turn: I WOULD lose that game! And I freakin' LOVE that!

I would argue that the AI in Shadowverse is some of the BEST RPG AI I've ever seen. It's so freaking smart. When you start playing in the late-game stuff, the combinations they pull off on their turns in incredible. And yeah, that COULD be scripted, but I don't think so. One thing that definitely helped me A LOT to get better at the game was literally the L-button! The L-button will suggest a move for you. I didn't know that even existed until one of my daughters picked up my controller and beat an entire match pressing L button to have it suggest every move during a game. It's awesome! I would really recommend if you're having a hard time, or you're still learning the game to just allow the game to suggest every turn and see what it recommends, it's really helpful! Now I'm sure pro PvP Shadowverse players will scoff at that suggestion, but I found it super helpful and the game's AI does a great job of understanding how to play each deck. I found that it gives you the best possible move with what's in your hand, but it didn't play with the knowledge of what future cards were still in your deck... which lead me to believe that it doesn't cheat you by scripting the cards you draw.

Okay super post. But yeah I LOVE Shadowverse. It's officially in my Top 5 favorite RPGs of all time. Because I enjoyed the game even when I was losing. Losing didn't ever feel punishing. The battles are quick that just clicking Retry always felt fun. Like it's complete BS in a competitive sense that you can lose to an opponent: then quit the battle and counter-build against them to win. But also: that's what makes a great RPG. Because that's bascially when you do in other JRPGs when you come up against a boss you lose to, you leave the battle and counter-build.

I alllllmost want to play the game entirely again using a non-Dragon deck. That would be my #1 complaint with the game: Dragon decks felt too good compared to everything else. Like, I can't even imagine how to beat that final post-game boss without a Dragon deck. All the suggestions I read online were to use Dragon based decks or Rune. But even after finishing the post-game boss I still kinda want to play more and complete more puzzles and win streak challenges with the non-Dragon decks. I still have no desire to fire up the PvP Shadowverse app on Steam/Mobile, but I found the story mode to be incredible!

Here's the two main decks that I used to finish the game. The "Dragon Ramp" and "8-turn Death" codes. As well as my "final boss" code.

You probably won't have most of the cards in those deck codes until the later chapters, post Chapter 7. BUT it gives you an idea of what you need to build towards. You can sub out the cards in those deck codes that you don't have with equal play cost of the ones that you do. The "8-turn death" code is super fun! Basically you just super stall until you get this amulet that "ends the game", it's the ultimate anti-rush and stall to win set. I really enjoyed it outside of all the Dragon decks.

Last edited:

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
I had never heard about Vagante before but Eurogamer is very positive about it. It has been a while since I have played a good roguelike. The game comes out tomorrow on Switch.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, I JUST finished beat the game, the post-game final super boss a few minutes ago! Funny you should mention cheating because the final post-game boss literally breaks the rules of the game and does CHEAT you hard lol!
1. He starts the battle with an amulet that doesn't allow you to deal damage via spells or effects.
3. He starts phase 2 with an unkillable 4/8 card that you literally cannot attack or do spells or anything to it lmao

You said you have MTG experience. I have thousands of hours in competitive Pokemon video game experience. Similar those two games, losing is complicated, there's so many factors and variables that go into it. One of my internet friends has a whole YouTube series about losing in competitive Pokemon.

What's common about any game where RNG is present, inexperienced players will blame bad RNG for their losses. Which is tough because YES, sometimes you just get boned and get unlucky or bad rolls or nothing goes your way and everything goes your opponents way. I would agree, that DOES happen in Shadowverse. In my 85 hour play through I vividly remember at least 2 losses that were exactly you how described: I literally drew ZERO playable cards in in my first 6 turns and couldn't play a single thing, and lose so hard. It happened so rarely that I actually remember that lol!

But overall, that was SO rare. And once I switched to "expert created" decks that I found online, I didn't have that problem anymore. Again this game is similar to Pokemon VGC: the teams built by "pros" are so much better than the stuff you can come up with on your own. I have no desire to play competitive PvP Shadowverse, but what I've read from those who do play it competitive on their reddit, everyone who plays says that the game is better competitively balanced than Hearthstone or MTG Online. Now, its less popular than those games because there isn't that much attention or budget put into Shadowverse, but the game is "balanced" and there's a lot more viable deck builds than those other games.

This reminds me of my experience with Hearthstone. Before I stopped playing, I was a consistently legend ranked player. I know what goes into building a good deck, but I'd never be able to compete with net decks, because they have literally thousands of iterations between just as many players, to ensure they're as refined as possible. No one person can possibly bring that kind of experience to the game.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your post got me intrigued so I looked into the game, but the reviews are putting me a off a bit. Currently on 67 on Opencritic. Also I get that it's an intentional design choice, but how dark it looks after watching the trailer is a bit jarring.
Nintendo Life's 4/10 is tanking the average. The reviewer was a poor match for the game. Several comments in the review seem to suggest they know very little about the genre and perhaps the game. People on Steam have around 500 hours in the game so there is definitely isn't a lack of content.

Ultimately, the game plays like a slower-paced Spelunky with more depth in the combat. Videos of playthroughs are your best bet, for this one.

Last edited:

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Adventure game just dropped - $19.99/€19.99/£17.99

This had some very postitive buzz a couple years back, been out on Steam for a while already. Mystery fans are eating on Switch 🥳

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NA PR:
Pokémon Legends: Arceus – Get ready for a new kind of grand, Pokémon adventure in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, a new game that blends action and exploration with the RPG roots of the Pokémon series. Embark on survey missions in the ancient Hisui region. Explore natural expanses to catch wild Pokémon by learning their behavior, sneaking up and throwing a well-aimed Poké Ball. You can also toss the Poké Ball containing your ally Pokémon near a wild Pokémon to seamlessly enter battle. Your adventure takes place in the expansive natural majesty of the Hisui region, where you are tasked with studying Pokémon to complete the region's first Pokédex. Along the way, uncover the mystery surrounding the Mythical Pokémon known as Arceus. Pokémon Legends: Arceus will be available on Jan. 28.

Unforeseen Incidents – Unforeseen Incidents is a classical-style interactive mystery game set in a beautifully hand-painted world. When small-town handyman Harper Pendrell meets a dying woman in the street, he unwittingly stumbles into a diabolical conspiracy – a mystery only he can solve. A perilous journey awaits Harper, and every step brings him closer to a cabal of dangerous fanatics. Before he knows it, he finds himself in a fight for the future of humankind armed only with his trusty multi-tool.

Digital Spotlight
Pokémon Brilliant Diamond / Pokémon Shining Pearl – The Sinnoh region is a land of many myths passed down through the ages. While you can explore the long-gone era of Sinnoh, the Hisui region, in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, you can also treat yourself to the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl games in an adventure reborn on the Nintendo Switch family of systems. As you travel across Sinnoh filling out your Pokédex, you'll challenge the strongest Pokémon Trainers in each town: the Gym Leaders. The original story has been faithfully reproduced, and these remakes include easy-to-understand, player-friendly features of the modern Pokémon series, plus up-close-and-personal Pokémon battle scenes. Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl are available for purchase now in Nintendo eShop.

Pre-orders:
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga – Pre-ordering is now available for the brand-new LEGO video game unlike any other. In LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga you can relive your favorite moments from all nine Star Wars saga films. Experience fun-filled adventures, whimsical humor and the freedom to fully immerse yourself in the LEGO Star Wars galaxy. Pre-order the game and get day one access to the Trooper Pack. The digital edition also includes an exclusive classic Obi-Wan Kenobi playable character. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga launches April 5.

Aztech Forgotten Gods – Aztech Forgotten Gods is the cyber-stone, action-adventure following Achtli, a young woman who battles the colossal Forgotten Gods. To uncover the truth behind her far-future Mesoamerican metropolis, she'll have to turn the Gods' power against them, as she soars through the city with power and grace. Pre-order the game today before it launches on March 10.

Nintendo eShop sales:
Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Switch, Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Great deals this week! Check out the full list of deals available this week at https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals.

Arcade Archives HOPPING MAPPY
BlackJack Math
Broken Blades – Available Jan. 29
Cake Invaders
Calturin – Available Jan. 28
Chef Word Ardee
Circus Pocus – Available Jan. 28
COGEN: Sword of Rewind
Concordia: Digital Edition
Crazy Athletics – Summer Sports and Games
Crush Crush
CRYGHT
Don't Be Afraid – Available Jan. 28
Downslope
Elasto Mania Remastered
Escape Lala – Retro Point and Click Adventure
Escape Lala 2 – Retro Point and Click Adventure
Football Killer
Gomoku Let's Go
Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2
Hidden Paws
INVERT – Available Feb. 2
Jewel Match Solitaire: Winterscapes
Jewel Match Twilight Solitaire
Life is Strange Remastered Collection – Available Feb. 1
Little Mouse's Encyclopedia + Under Leaves
Magi Trials
Magic code
Magic Pen Color Book – Available Jan. 29
Make the Burger
Monster Rescue
MonsterFruitAcademy
Pandemic Shooter
Parking Simulator
Peace, Death! 2 – Available Jan. 28
Pure Mini Golf
Re:Turn 2 – Runaway
Record of Lodoss War-Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth- – Available Jan. 28
RichMan 10
Serin Fate
Shadow Quest
Slingshot Stunt Driver & Sports
Sports Car Driver
Storm Tale 2
Sudoku Zenkai
Super Onion Boy 2 – Available Jan. 28
Survive on Raft
The Dead Tree of Ranchiuna – Available Feb. 2
The Flea Evolution
Toasted!
Treasure Hunter Man 2 – Available Jan. 31
Trigonal
Trivia For Dummies
Troll Patrol
Vagante
Webbed – Available Feb. 2
Yeah Yeah Beebiss II – Available Feb. 2
Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
EU ALERT

Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment + Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 1+2 are 80% off, so 9.99€ each

Lowest price ever by a lot.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017

As far as the specific feeling of the AI cheating and getting "exactly what it needed". Hmm... maybe? I would almost argue the opposite: it felt to me that when I would lose to really strong decks and rematch them, by the 3rd or 4th rematch I would notice that they DIDN'T draw their super strong cards and I was able to win. NOW, does this mean that the game "rubberbands" you and notices if you're losing over and over in story mode, that the game will intentionally draw worse so you can win? MAYBE. But again, reading online - especially over what the actual pro competitive PVP Shadowverse players have to say about the game on Reddit... nobody makes that allegation. And I would agree.

Much like how when I first started playing competitive Pokemon the game felt "so RNG" after playing for 85 hours... after about 850 hours of the game... I would say "Yeah I lost because I played bad.". I would say the same for Shadowverse. I feel like if I were to play the game through AGAIN, I would lose A LOT less. I lost the most in this game at around Chapter 6. And I can definitely say that I just UNDERSTAND the game so much better after finishing all 10 chapters, that little mistakes that I made early that led to losses, I wouldn't do anymore. And that's what I LOVE about the game: it punishes you for making mistakes! I noticed if I "mis-clicked" and reacted to quickly without thinking and immediately regretted a turn: I WOULD lose that game! And I freakin' LOVE that!

I would argue that the AI in Shadowverse is some of the BEST RPG AI I've ever seen. It's so freaking smart. When you start playing in the late-game stuff, the combinations they pull off on their turns in incredible. And yeah, that COULD be scripted, but I don't think so. One thing that definitely helped me A LOT to get better at the game was literally the L-button! The L-button will suggest a move for you. I didn't know that even existed until one of my daughters picked up my controller and beat an entire match pressing L button to have it suggest every move during a game. It's awesome! I would really recommend if you're having a hard time, or you're still learning the game to just allow the game to suggest every turn and see what it recommends, it's really helpful! Now I'm sure pro PvP Shadowverse players will scoff at that suggestion, but I found it super helpful and the game's AI does a great job of understanding how to play each deck. I found that it gives you the best possible move with what's in your hand, but it didn't play with the knowledge of what future cards were still in your deck... which lead me to believe that it doesn't cheat you by scripting the cards you draw.

Okay super post. But yeah I LOVE Shadowverse. It's officially in my Top 5 favorite RPGs of all time. Because I enjoyed the game even when I was losing. Losing didn't ever feel punishing. The battles are quick that just clicking Retry always felt fun. Like it's complete BS in a competitive sense that you can lose to an opponent: then quit the battle and counter-build against them to win. But also: that's what makes a great RPG. Because that's bascially when you do in other JRPGs when you come up against a boss you lose to, you leave the battle and counter-build.

I alllllmost want to play the game entirely again using a non-Dragon deck. That would be my #1 complaint with the game: Dragon decks felt too good compared to everything else. Like, I can't even imagine how to beat that final post-game boss without a Dragon deck. All the suggestions I read online were to use Dragon based decks or Rune. But even after finishing the post-game boss I still kinda want to play more and complete more puzzles and win streak challenges with the non-Dragon decks. I still have no desire to fire up the PvP Shadowverse app on Steam/Mobile, but I found the story mode to be incredible!

Here's the two main decks that I used to finish the game. The "Dragon Ramp" and "8-turn Death" codes. As well as my "final boss" code.

You probably won't have most of the cards in those deck codes until the later chapters, post Chapter 7. BUT it gives you an idea of what you need to build towards. You can sub out the cards in those deck codes that you don't have with equal play cost of the ones that you do. The "8-turn death" code is super fun! Basically you just super stall until you get this amulet that "ends the game", it's the ultimate anti-rush and stall to win set. I really enjoyed it outside of all the Dragon decks.

Since you played the game I wanted to ask, I watched a review of this that mentioned there's a battle pass that only unlocks rewards via online play. If I have no desire to buy the battle pass or play online at all, is the ga,e still worth it? Im Only in it for the single player, and I don't want to feel like they're holding stuff back if I don't play online or buy the battle pass

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Since you played the game I wanted to ask, I watched a review of this that mentioned there's a battle pass that only unlocks rewards via online play. If I have no desire to buy the battle pass or play online at all, is the ga,e still worth it? Im Only in it for the single player, and I don't want to feel like they're holding stuff back if I don't play online or buy the battle pass

Yes all the cards are in the game AFAIK

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Adventure game just dropped - $19.99/€19.99/£17.99

This had some very postitive buzz a couple years back, been out on Steam for a while already. Mystery fans are eating on Switch 🥳

I love these type of mystery games. I really enjoyed The Last Stop, which I completed a few weeks ago.

I'll keep an eye out for this one.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

Absolutely. I beat the final post game super boss with no battle pass cards and loved it. Definitely they're nothing needed.

I was only able to play 2 online matches. I think the online is completely dead or I was always searching at the wrong times. But I think the online is dead because all the real pvp players play the mobile/PC version of this game , which is no JRPG story, just battles with a single player tutorial/ visual novel cutscenes mode. This, switch game, is way more than that.

OrochiJR

Oct 29, 2017
So Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2 and Cogen: Sword of Rewind came out today too.

Cogen seems to actually be its own game and is not from Inti Creates. Upon first seeing it I thought it was another Gunvolt spin-off with the way it looks. Will get both eventually, but probably not right now. The pricing for both games is a bit steep with €22 for Luminous Avenger 2 and €25 for Cogen.

Status
Not open for further replies.