• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most likely of these Mario games to appear in 2020?

• Super Mario 3D World Port

Votes: 484 73.9%
  • Super Mario Odyssey 2/Next 3D Mario

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • Paper Mario 6

Votes: 284 43.4%
  • Super Mario Party 2

Votes: 113 17.3%
  • Mario Golf

Votes: 120 18.3%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 57 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's assume for a second BotW2 won't make it this year where both Microsoft and Sony release a new console. We know Pokémon will only get DLC this year which for itself is big but not big enough to count as a substitute for a big holiday title. We know that Mario 3D World will most likely get ported this year so I doubt we will see Odyssey 2. Animal Crossing is releasing in March.
So unless Nintendo suddenly doesn't care about their usual strong holiday line up which I really doubt BotW2 HAS to come out this holiday.
Right I made the post awhile back. It only came down to 3 IP's being Mario Kart, next 3D Mario game or BotW 2. Any of Nintendo's other huge IP's don't lineup as a possibility to release this holiday.

I don't see the Mario Kart team working on new Mario Kart to release end of this year. With the rumors of 3D World coming, then I don't see the next big 3D Mario coming this year. This leaves BotW 2 and Nintendo would prefer BotW 2 to compete for attention this holiday over an Odyssey 2 anyways.

Tialo

Dec 4, 2019
Nintendo wants to release BotW 2 this year for sure, there is no doubt. But nevertheless delays can happen. Maybe there are issues during development process or Nintendo wants to polish it more etc.pp. So there could be conditions that force them to delay it. But I think they would know a potential delay early enough to adjust their release schedule. They could postphone 3D World Port to 2021 and release Odyssey 2 for christmas as an example.

Last edited:

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyways this first Nintendo direct will tell me what the big holiday title is. Either they announce the next 3D Mario team game or Mario Kart in this next direct or they don't. We always know the big holiday game before E3. If nothing huge is revealed in the January/February direct then that tells me BotW 2 will be the big holiday title (I still would think they'd do a little short trailer in this direct instead of waiting until E3 to talk about it again).

Even if MK9 was real I wonder if they would market it as THE holiday title for the year.
If Odyssey 2 or BotW 2 isn't ready, then yes I believe so.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
I really, really want BotW2 this year. But I also want it to be as good or better than the first one. It has a lot to go up against and it will be judged against it. So I hope they take their sweet time and if it needs to be 2021 then so be it, I'll be sad but I'd understand. I guess they have to have a viable backup plan though in case it doesn't make it. They will not, in any case, go into the next holiday season without at least one or two heavy hitters.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
For me personally this might be the most exciting Switch year because we don't know much of their line up and most of their IPs already have an entry on the console. Which means we will either get follow ups to some of the great games (BotW2, Odyssey 2 etc.) or we might get new IPs or existing IPs in new genres (Splatoon RPG or something like that).

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
Does anyone here desperately want MK9? I still enjoy playing MK8D when I need that karting fix. I'd much rather see a new IP or a new entry in an older series *cough*F-Zero*cough*

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Does anyone here desperately want MK9? I still enjoy playing MK8D when I need that karting fix. I'd much rather see a new IP or a new entry in an older series *cough*F-Zero*cough*
Likewise.

Even as a Wii U owner who has played plenty of Mario Kart 8, I'm perfectly content with it till the end of this generation.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

Depends on what they add to it. If it's just another Mario Kart, then meh. If it adds some features like track creation, more non-Mario characters and tracks, or pulls a Smash Ultimate, then I'm all in.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
A hypothetical Splatoon 3 doesn't really do it for a huge holiday Nintendo release, right?

I would imagine that they would release it this summer. Splatoon makes big numbers during the summer holidays with kids, especially in Japan.

I'm convinced that their big holiday title is going to be Zelda, maybe accompanied with a few AA games such as a new Pokken or even a new IP (a man can dream).

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
no DLC for mario kart 8 is a bit surprising, tbh. just a couple of cups and characters to hold people over until 9, it'd go a long way.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I would imagine that they would release it this summer. Splatoon makes big numbers during the summer holidays with kids, especially in Japan.

Yeah, Splatoon and summer just go together. I could see them releasing it alongside that mid-2020 "Switch Pro," if that's a thing.

Zelda is a lock for November 20, 2020, and has been since the moment they put it in their E3 trailer last year.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
no DLC for mario kart 8 is a bit surprising, tbh. just a couple of cups and characters to hold people over until 9, it'd go a long way.

Probably because when they released it, they saw it as a stop-gap to boost the Switch sales in its first year while the team was developing the sequel; especially as before March 2017, the Switch was absolutely not assured to be successful.
There's really nothing twisted about this line of thinking, I don't understand why mentionning it made people so angry in the last 2 years...

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Yeah, Splatoon and summer just go together. I could see them releasing it alongside that mid-2020 "Switch Pro," if that's a thing.

Zelda is a lock for November 20, 2020, and has been since the moment they put it in their E3 trailer last year.

You and me both, mate.

I'm going to sing the same gospel as on the other threads: i firmly believe that both Splatoon 3 and MK9 will be released in 2020 to help pushing the new switch pro based on tegra x2. Fully compatible with og switch off course.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I think BotW2 will be coming out no later than holiday 2020. Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 9 isn't coming anytime soon IMO.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I honestly think we'll get Mario and Zelda for this year, or at least they'll plan to do that, with the latter maybe pushed back to March next year.

Those two, Metroid Prime Trilogy HD and a Paper Mario HD remaster would make it a 10/10 year for me, especially with Animal Crossing already coming.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
I loved Splatoon 2 but one of the reasons why I don't play it anymore is the lack of a coop-local mode which allows you to play through a Split-scren.

On the other hand, I was pretty surprised that MK8D didn't receive any DLC given its sales and how easy would be to get even more money. I wish we got MK9 (or Nintendo Kart) this year lol

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Probably because when they released it, they saw it as a stop-gap to boost the Switch sales in its first year while the team was developing the sequel; especially as before March 2017, the Switch was absolutely not assured to be successful.
There's really nothing twisted about this line of thinking, I don't understand why mentionning it made people so angry in the last 2 years...

If the next MK is indeed in development, then I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed all the way back to the next console.

MK is very much an audience puller, so it's always released within the first two years. I don't know of any Mario Kart that released late in a console's life. There's no real strategic value for doing so.

And Nintendo is quite infamous for moving things to the next console.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If by Monday/Tuesday a Direct is not announced, then it will really be left for February :(

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
Depends on what they add to it. If it's just another Mario Kart, then meh. If it adds some features like track creation, more non-Mario characters and tracks, or pulls a Smash Ultimate, then I'm all in.

To add on to this....

I'm really surprised they never made DLC for MK8 Deluxe, and that's part of the reason why I think that MK9 could be on the horizon. Like, why the hell didn't they make DLC?! It seems pretty similar to the situations with Mario Galaxy 2, BOTW 2, and possibly Odyssey 2, where DLC ideas eventually turned into another game. I could be way off base on that though.

Also, they probably started working on this (if it's real of course) before the Switch and MK8 Deluxe came out. So the sales numbers wouldn't have impacted anything.

My hopes for Mario Kart 9, whenever it comes. Just a list of suggestions, I don't expect all of them to happen, of course.
  1. A single-player mission mode, similar to Mario Kart DS and the bonus challenges found in MKT. I would prefer a cinematic single-player mode, but I doubt that'll happen so this will do.
  2. Return of the Double-Dash features and items, but they're regulated to a separate mode. I want the two-player karts back, as well as the Chain Chomp and Bowser Shell power-ups.
  3. TRACK. CREATOR. It would use a simple building layout, with pre-made pieces and scenery built into a selection of eight map styles. I don't expect Mario Maker levels of complication here, keep it simple.
  4. More non-Mario characters, but don't make a Nintendo Kart. Add on to what we already have. Have a Zelda Cup, a F-Zero Cup, an Animal Crossing Cup, and something else (Splatoon?).
  5. Bring back all the tracks from all the previous games.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
The thing with Mario Kart 9 is I can't get my head around why they would split the online multiplayer audience. Nintendo have never released multiple MK games on any of their systems, even before online multiplayer was a thing, but to do it now would split the audience and makes little sense.

Extra DLC would be the only way forward, but if they've not done it by now it feels extremely unlikely. To be clear, 8 Deluxe is not short on content!

I'd expect a Diddy Kong Racing, F Zero or even Star Fox GP (lol!) as releasing before Mario Kart 9 (not all of them... 1 of them).

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
I don't think the Switch is getting a new Mario Kart.

It already has Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Nintendo has never, EVER, released more than one Mario Kart per platform.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
The thing with Mario Kart 9 is I can't get my head around why they would split the online multiplayer audience. Nintendo have never released multiple MK games on any of their systems, even before online multiplayer was a thing, but to do it now would split the audience and makes little sense.

Extra DLC would be the only way forward, but if they've not done it by now it feels extremely unlikely. To be clear, 8 Deluxe is not short on content!

I'd expect a Diddy Kong Racing, F Zero or even Star Fox GP (lol!) as releasing before Mario Kart 9 (not all of them... 1 of them).

There's a simple solution to that: Cross-Play. MK8 Deluxe players should be able to race with MK9 players if they both have the same track. Using Piranha Plant Pipeline for example, the track is in both games, so both should be able to play together on that track. Same with others.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I don't think the Switch is getting a new Mario Kart.

It already has Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Nintendo has never, EVER, released more than one Mario Kart per platform.

To be fair, there's never been a port of a Mario Kart game either. We're on entirely new ground here.

Would I rather see a new F-Zero or a new Diddy Kong Racing? Absolutely. Do I think they'll happen. Nah, not really. It's either a new IP or Mario Kart 9.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I think BotW2 will fall into March 2021 and Odyssey 2 will be the November release this year. I suspect Odyssey 2 is done and BotW2 is going well in development, but on a very tight timeline that will inevitably slip a little (to make it even better, so not a negative slip).

This is the reason we haven't seen 3D World port yet, which is clearly also already done.

I believe Nintendo planned BotW2 this year and Odyssey 2 for H1 2021 but the prolonged silence on the port of 3D World makes me think it's swapped around. We will find out in due course, but dont underestimate the fact that Odyssey 2 and BotW2 are both steering the entire 2020 and 2021 slate, and this likely has some impact on everything else.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I hope Nintendo will have some banger summer releases like last year, because boy do I not care about anything that's coming out so far in Q1.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Depending on what you consider summer, but i can totally see Bayonetta 3 occupying Astral Chains release window this year.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If the next MK is indeed in development, then I wouldn't be surprised if it gets pushed all the way back to the next console.

MK is very much an audience puller, so it's always released within the first two years. I don't know of any Mario Kart that released late in a console's life. There's no real strategic value for doing so.

And Nintendo is quite infamous for moving things to the next console.

That would be pushing a game for several years, making it technically obsolete in the process. I have a hard time imagining Nintendo to be mad enough to do that, though who knows?

My guess is that Nintendo won't have hard breaks between console generations anymore and will just release updated hardwares every 3-4 years with full back compatibility and some sort of forward compatibility (like for smartphones). In that context, having a new entry of their main franchises tied to the release of the new hardware makes more sense.
MK9 would be 720-900p/60fps on the OG Switch, and locked 1080p/60fps on the upgraded one with more graphical bells and whistles for instance. And Mk10 would be in the same case, but Between the Switch + and the Switch ++, if you see wht I mean.

Either way, we can all agree that 2020 will answer a lot of questions regarding Nintendo's strategy going forward.

Necro Felipe

Editor-in-chief at Universo Nintendo
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Brasil
Three weeks of the year, still January yet and people getting mad about the whole Nintendo year already?
Keep calm friends :)

Status
Not open for further replies.