• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
In the amazingly full lineup of first party games we have had entries for all the major Nintendo Franchises either released or announced as well as some new IP

With this in mind what do you think might come next down the pipeline?

A full new game to an existing IP?
A sequel / offshoot using existing assets - like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Majoras Mask?
New IP?

Something else?

For the record, I am counting the following as major Nintendo franchises :
Super Mario - 3D and 2D, Zelda - 3D and 2D, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire emblem
hey where is smash and splatoon?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Any chance we see a Zelda announcement at E3?
Next year's E3. This year we have lots of announced games to see. I expect some surprise or announcement of course, but something like Zelda needs more attention.

And I think the next thing we will see will be a new game (from Monolith/Retro). And I don't mean a new franchise, I mean a new game, either if it's a new IP or a new genre for an existing one.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
New IP babey, give me weird Nintendo. Monolith Soft new stuff looks the goods.

I would also be including Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart etc as a 'major franchise' and potentially demoting Metroid.
I'd say Metroid definitely is not a major franchise. It's only big in fan expectations

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Besides the announced stuff, its like 90% sure next year will have a Pokemon game too, since with the release of SWSD they will have their production pipeline set up for at least a remake and a third version before they maybe take a year off for gen 9.

With Mario Odyssey being 2017, a Mario Odyssey 2 in 2020 would make sense too, while a BOTW would probably take another year or so.

AC wont get another release on switch after the one this year i think.

Mario Kart does not really need a sequel when you consider 8DX is now the top selling game on switch, and isnt slowing down sales wise.

2D mario just got NSMBU, and will get MM soon, so that front is also served.

2D zelda is getting the Awakening remake, but maybe they will use said engine to make a new one too.

As for new IP, Monolith is working on something, but that is probably some time in the future.

I would love to see the Splatoon team take on Splatoon in a different genre thb.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Mythra is also a D or an E
300px-Surprised_Pikachu.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Since everyone else is facetiously misreading the spelling error against the OP's intent, allow me to be the first to answer this honestly: the next Nintendo adaptation of Titus Andronicus will probably be a return to form for Paper Mario, because which other series would come closer to letting you bake your slaughtered brethren into mushroom pies?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Kid Icarus
Monolith Soft New IP
Golden Sun revival
Does Camelot even have the staff for another Golden Sun game now?

Anyway, I'd imagine that we'll get another round of 3D Mario & 3D Zelda games. And Splatoon 3 may have to wait until next-gen, we could get a spin-off in the meantime.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You're barking up the wrong tree.

Nintendo's AAA dollars are devoted to the booty.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Does Camelot even have the staff for another Golden Sun game now?

Anyway, I'd imagine that we'll get another round of 3D Mario & 3D Zelda games. And Splatoon 3 may have to wait until next-gen, we could get a spin-off in the meantime.
Screw Camelot lol, they aren't the only studio that can make a RPG.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They've made enough mentions of wanting new IPs and bolstered by the success of Splatoon I imagine we'll see one or two more projects in that vein.

Monolithsoft's new projects are also presumably getting a significant resource boost following the success of Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure we'll see another 3D Zelda on Switch using BotW's groundwork. Monolith has also got something cooking. I don't think we'll see a big EPD developed new IP for a while but I could be wrong about that. In the meantime we got Astral Chain as a new IP. That looks pretty ambitious and is owned by Nintendo.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo mostly makes high quality mid tier games with a few exceptions. I'd say Zelda and Smash are their only true AAA games I think they will want to move Metroid in that direction too.

Dec 11, 2017
Samus, Peach, Zelda, Pauline, Rosalina, Bayonetta, Daisy...any of them really, could have their own AAA game. Whatever Nintendo does next, I'm looking forward to it!

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
I think bringing back the Wars IP would be cool, though highly improbable. A new Advance Wars to continue the core series, maybe experiment with an RTS game in the same universe, and maybe even reboot Battalion Wars(modernize the gameplay a bit) or do something similar to it.

Hell, a shooter with an emphasis on local/splitscreen multiplayer with a bunch of novelty modes(stuff like COD's one in the chamber, gun game, sticks and stones). I think Nintendo having a "party shooter" would definitely be cool and fitting for their MO.

Again, highly unlikely stuff but it would cool to see something like that.

GrandeDp

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm Reggie leaves and now Nintendo is developing aaa tities. Major shift in their strategy.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This year we'll get info about Retro's new IP. I doubt we'll get it this year because I think Animal Crossing will be this year's big Nintendo game.