• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
In the amazingly full lineup of first party games we have had entries for all the major Nintendo Franchises either released or announced as well as some new IP

With this in mind what do you think might come next down the pipeline?

A full new game to an existing IP?
A sequel / offshoot using existing assets - like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Majoras Mask?
New IP?

Something else?

For the record, I am counting the following as major Nintendo franchises :
Super Mario - 3D and 2D, Zelda - 3D and 2D, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire emblem, Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Donkey Kong, Splatoon
Edit: added to major franchise list

Last edited:

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A mix of new games to existing IPs and sequels reusing assets.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
A brand new Paper Mario in the style of 1/TTYD using color splash's graphical engine.

pls god

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario - 3D and 2D, Zelda - 3D and 2D, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire emblem
UIe3GXT.png

Abicus

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
New IP babey, give me weird Nintendo. Monolith Soft new stuff looks the goods.

I would also be including Splatoon, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart etc as a 'major franchise' and potentially demoting Metroid.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I really want to see more titles aimed at western audiences. Make a SP title like Eternal Darkness or Uncharted. Just something that goes outside their norms, since much like Splatoon that's where things get real interesting.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I heavily misunderstood the title. Ahem

Nintendo is fixated in increasing the number of Online Subscribes so I think their next big title will include a huge online element.
An massive open world with MMOeque game is my guess.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
In the amazingly full lineup of first party games we have had entries for all the major Nintendo Franchises either released or announced as well as some new IP

With this in mind what do you think might come next down the pipeline?

A full new game to an existing IP?
A sequel / offshoot using existing assets - like Super Mario Galaxy 2 or Majoras Mask?
New IP?

Something else?

Super Mario - 3D and 2D, Zelda - 3D and 2D, Metroid, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire emblem
You're missing Mario Kart and Smash.

I think we will get a new MARIO Kart. Possibly next year.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
New size of tities confirmed: Nintendo's AAA.

On topic: I really hope they're busy right now working on a new IP. It seems that after the success of both Splatoon and ARMS, they now have a dedicated team focused solely on developing AAA new IPs, which is awesome to get out of the stigma that Nintendo does nothing but Mario and Zelda games.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Mario Odyssey 2 (with more linear, Galaxy-like, level design)
Breath of the Wild: Termina Edition (with actual dungeons)
Splatoon 3
A brand new Paper Mario in the style of 1/TTYD using color splash's graphical engine.

pls god
tbh I'd settle for a TTYD remake using Color Splash's engine. At this point, I'll take ANYTHING that's not from the same mold as Sticker Star and Color Splash.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Title is false advertising.

Anyway, I hope Nintendo is planning to end the Switch's life (or Switch gen 1) with a bang. New 3D Mario, new 3D Zelda, and Metroid Prime 4.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Odyssey 2 and BOTW 2 both seem likely. MP4 is years away. Another Xenoblade will probably happen. A big budget Star Fox or new F-Zero is always a possibility (however small). There's no new Donkey Kong game for this gen yet. And I'd kill for a follow up to Kid Icarus Uprising.

There's a lot of options. Not to mention the possibility of new IP as well.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Metroid 4
Breath of the Majora's Mask
Odyssey 2
Xenoblade 3
Monolith's New IP
Star Fox's second change at revival
Kid Icarus
God damn Golden Sun reboot

Possibly some new IPs as well

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Mario Odyssey 2 (with more linear, Galaxy-like, level design)
Breath of the Wild: Termina Edition (with actual dungeons)
Splatoon 3

tbh I'd settle for a TTYD remake using Color Splash's engine. At this point, I'll take ANYTHING that's not from the same mold as Sticker Star and Color Splash.

*monkey's paw finger curls*
Nintendo proudly introduces - Paper Mario Amiibo Festival!!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect Nintendo to spam out Mario and Zelda tities in the near future. Nintendo crowd have already got their Switches, so comes the next step: Trying to sell Switch to the people who wants a powerful handheld but has zero interest in Mario or Zelda games (oh yes those people exist, in millions even). We will see more moneyhat second party games. Even this year alone we have three: Marvel UA3, Astral Chain and Deamon X Machina. I expect Nintendo to go crazy for second party in 2020.