• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot-20210113-223535.jpg

We're all a bit rusty.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Yeah I'm still not sold on the blue pants and helmets for the Avs.

And hopefully Anderson can have a decent stay in Washington. He can play great, but had little support in Ottawa.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anderson was really impressive last night. Danault was absolute dogshit. That breakaway in OT is maybe the worst breakaway attempt ever.

OP
OP
CreeperBlocks

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Anderson was really impressive last night. Danault was absolute dogshit. That breakaway in OT is maybe the worst breakaway attempt ever.

this is probably why we shouldn't pay him 6m lol

Also to not really fault him, EVERYONE at that shift looked Gassed. even the leafs. I thought there was something wrong with my tv when everyone started to skate in slow motion

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this is probably why we shouldn't pay him 6m lol

Also to not really fault him, EVERYONE at that shift looked Gassed. even the leafs. I thought there was something wrong with my tv when everyone started to skate in slow motion

I wish we could package Danault for PLD, but Columbus ain't that dumb

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah I'm still not sold on the blue pants and helmets for the Avs.

And hopefully Anderson can have a decent stay in Washington. He can play great, but had little support in Ottawa.
I'm hoping the blue pants/helmets are just a nod to their Nordiques past for the 25th anniversary. It's just too much blue and doesn't look great.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
The only time McDavid is skating is when the puck is the offensive or neutral zone. Dude was M.I.A and floating hard in the Dzone last night. Shitty coverage in the slot and always cherry picking at the point waiting for someone to do the hard work and get the puck back to him. He'll give 130 points but you will still not crack .500 with him.

Tanston

Nov 29, 2017
Psyched to see how the Rangers season goes with all the kids in the post King Henrik era. Not thrilled with advertisements on the helmets though.
I've been waiting a long time to see the Rangers go this direction I can't wait. I Haven't had cable in years but I really want to watch this season, does anyone have experience with using a VPN to get around local market blackouts with nhl.tv ?

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only time McDavid is skating is when the puck is the offensive or neutral zone. Dude was M.I.A and floating hard in the Dzone last night. Shitty coverage in the slot and always cherry picking at the point waiting for someone to do the hard work and get the puck back to him. He'll give 130 points but you will still not crack .500 with him.

Weren't Oilers literally above .500 last season during the actual season? lol. They had the best actual season record of any of the Canadian teams.

Oct 25, 2017
McDavid sucks defensively and that eats into his actual contributions to his team's success... is the point, I believe. He's still so good offensively that he often makes up for his deficiencies, though.

He's a definite top 5 player

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
McDavid sucks defensively and that eats into his actual contributions to his team's success... is the point, I believe. He's still so good offensively that he often makes up for his deficiencies, though.

Eh, I watched that game last night, it's not McDavid's fault Adam Larsson decided to gift the Canucks 2 freebie goals.

McDavid is the best player in the world, but the NHL is not the NBA, you can only do so much when other players on your team don't show up to play or one or two of them decide to totally crap the bed.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I watched that game last night, it's not McDavid's fault Adam Larsson decided to gift the Canucks 2 freebie goals.

McDavid is the best player in the world, but the NHL is not the NBA, you can only do so much when other players on your team don't show up to play or one or two of them decide to totally crap the bed.

It's not his fault but he also doesn't help or make it easier. Dude just glides in the Dzone and watches the play until the puck gets back on his stick.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not his fault but he also doesn't help or make it easier. Dude just glides in the Dzone and watches the play until the puck gets back on his stick.

I think I saw Wayne Gretzky back check like 2 times in his career, same for Mario, same for guys like Ovechkin and Malkin.

McDavid does have two seasons back to back of +27 and +20 ratings I don't think the Oilers issues are there.

The two goals Larsson gifted away yesterday, I mean you would get yelled at even in beer league hockey for those mistakes, you can't have gaffes like that. You're not going to win too many games spotting the other team 2 goals.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

It's fine he can suck defensively because of the Oilers defensive talent on the ba—Oh right. Well at lest they have a capable goaltending—Oh Olympic diver Mike Smith.

Oct 25, 2017

I think I saw Wayne Gretzky back check like 2 times in his career, same for Mario, same for guys like Ovechkin and Malkin.

McDavid does have two seasons back to back of +27 and +20 ratings I don't think the Oilers issues are there.

The two goals Larsson gifted away yesterday, I mean you would get yelled at even in beer league hockey for those mistakes, you can't have gaffes like that. You're not going to win too many games spotting the other team 2 goals.

So if I get this straight you are repudiating McDavid's defensive issues because:

a) you can point to examples where others were to blame
b) the plus/minus stat!!
c) some other great players, who also get knocked on their defense, also have similar deficits

Got it

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So if I get this straight you are repudiating McDavid's defensive issues because:

a) you can point to examples where others were to blame
b) the plus/minus stat!!
c) some other great players, who also get knocked on their defense, also have similar deficits

Got it

I'm just saying looking at the game yesterday

Which of those GA are McDavid's fault? The 1st and 4th goals are complete freebies gifted away by Adam Larsson being bizarrely out of position.

McDavid has had strong defensive years earlier in his career, but if you're going to have plays like that from your blue line where you're just gifting away gimmes that's hard to recover from and then as an offensive player you're under the gun to go get those goals back.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just saying looking at the game yesterday

Which of those GA are McDavid's fault? The 1st and 4th goals are complete freebies gifted away by Adam Larsson being bizarrely out of position.

McDavid has had strong defensive years earlier in his career, but if you're going to have plays like that from your blue line where you're just gifting away gimmes that's hard to recover from.

Personally I'm not interested in a small sample like one game's highlight reel and don't think Cake Boss was suggesting McDavid was specifically responsible for the loss so... 🤷‍♂️...

We're talking about his defensive issues more broadly. And I mean, it's a choice. He is likely more productive because he isn't as attentive or energetic in his own zone. That's fine. Makes for more exciting hockey at both ends!

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I'm not interested in a small sample like one game's highlight reel and don't think Cake Boss was suggesting McDavid was specifically responsible for the loss so... 🤷‍♂️...

We're talking about his defensive issues more broadly. And I mean, it's a choice. He is likely more productive because he isn't as attentive or energetic in his own zone. That's fine. Makes for more exciting hockey at both ends!

The Oilers were generally OK last year defensively, not great, but not terrible. They really seem to be one of the teams having a hard time getting up to speed again after a long break and no pre-season/warm up games because of COVID but they better figure that out quick in a condensed season.

Adam Larsson is nothing special, but he's usual at least half way decent, plays like that are just mind boggling, you single handedly sink your team with that type of decision making.

Oct 25, 2017
They really seem to be one of the teams having a hard time getting up to speed again after a long break and no pre-season/warm up games because of COVID but they better figure that out quick in a condensed season.
I don't think you can say any teams are standouts right now. We're one night in. Sometimes teams don't get the bounces, or players have bad games, or one team is simply better than the other. Tonight could be very different, who knows

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A small snip to add to the McDavid conversation from The Athletic's Top 100 article:

Everyone knows why McDavid is always at the top: He's the best offensive player in the world in almost every way measured and it's not close. He's scored 2.89 points-per-60 at 5-on-5 since entering the league, with the difference between him and second being equal to the difference between second and ninth. He's the catalyst for Edmonton's offense and also impacts transition play and offensive zone shot contributions. He ranks at or near the top in all those facets league-wide, thanks mostly to his incredible speed with the puck, a skill that sets him apart from everyone else.

But the reason his grip for the top spot has slipped in recent years is his results at the other end of the ice. If his defense was only average, McDavid would be Tier 1A-plus — easily, too. It's not and hasn't been for enough time to be a legitimate concern, one that stronger data from teams echo — to an extent.

"I think his defensive issues are overblown, but I think you can point to other changes in his game over the years," said a source. "He used to be a one-man breakout machine but has become a more-willing passer on the breakout. He's still a top breakout player, but a McDavid skate-it-himself breakout is probably the best breakout in the league. When you start alternating that with a pass to his teammates and let them try to make the play, it's not going to be as effective. Maybe that's a purposeful change to help him manage his workload over a full season."

In 2017-18, his best season, McDavid exited the zone with control 77 percent of the time, but that dropped to 63 percent last season.

Over the past two seasons, McDavid has one of the league's worst defensive impacts by public metrics, a potential byproduct of this change, potentially driven by a lack of capable support. And his willingness to use it more. At 5-on-5, it led to McDavid being on the ice for just 52 percent of the goals last season, which is a fine number but not one expected from the best player in the world. At his best, he was closer to 60 percent.

I think there is at least some additional reasoning outside of just saying McDavid is shit defensively. There is still the question of floatyness, mistakes and miscues, and he's not Bergeron in the two-way game by any means, but there's enough reasons to wonder (as backward as it sounds) if there is a systematic reason to this.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if I'd deal Suzuki for PLD. Suzuki may have more upside if he keeps going like he is. I feel like he's our best forward prospect (not really a prospect since he's in year 2 in the league, I know).

Something around Kotkaniemi and PLD could be interesting though.