• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we assume that both consoles will release in November 2020, when does mass production of these consoles has to start?

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
The end of the fiscal year has nothing to do with announcing product details to the public. They've already announced the PS5 and given a release window, which is what matters for their guidance. When they make their forward-looking statements for the next fiscal year (in late April, not in March) they would indicate whether they still expected to ship PS5 in that FY, but they wouldn't need to show off the box or tell people the specs or any of what we think of as being a "reveal." That's a completely different thing. They could easily reaffirm their commitment to shipping PS5 in the then-current FY in April, with no information beyond what's already been announced, and then reveal it in May or June.

Nintendo didn't have to reveal the NX details when their fiscal year started. Microsoft didn't have to reveal XO details in their guidance for the fiscal year. That's just not how it works.

I think chances are good we'll get the announcement of the PS5 reveal event before they do their FY report in April, but the event may well happen after.
But I'm still curious though...so you're saying that exciting shareholders and potential shareholders before the end of the fiscal year, which probably drives up stock price, is not a thing?

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
That question nobody can answer.
JimRyan.gif

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Sony are going to show the games, they won't gloss over the hardware but the wow will be the games being showed off I presume, not the specs, well maybe the SSD will get a nice talk among a few other things but not wow, TF numbers, more game thing numbers. Frankly that's more exciting than the Series X reveal. Show us the games.

Also, maybe they haven't finalised the PS5 design, thermals and what not so waiting a little longer to show it off. Microsoft went for a mini tower, I somehow doubt Sony would go that route.
You don't convince non technical people (the majority of console gamers) with technology.
Even a lot of people here struggle to see the benefit of SSD. That's why the focus is on TF, raw power, instead of efficiency.
So it will be mostly about features and games. The latter being the biggest assets of PlayStation.

SONY will clearly not going for a PC like form factor.
But the more I think of it, the more I think they will used some sort of V shape like the dev kit.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
But I'm still curious though...so you're saying that exciting shareholders and potential shareholders before the end of the fiscal year, which probably drives up stock price, is not a thing?

Increasing investor confidence at any time drives up the stock price. There's nothing special about doing that at the end of the FY.

The FY report is where they do things like report whether they met their projections for PS4 sales over the last FY. Meeting their projections is more important than "exciting" investors with a big PS5 presentation.

aweedswee

Jan 21, 2020
Greece
All of you talking about the github leak like it' s some kind of gospel and because of it everything is set in stone, we are lacking a TON of information yet. I believe that even if the github leak is true and ps5 is indeed 9,2 tf, we don't know anything about the other aspects of it, which is very important. The horsepower that the gpu has must be accompanied with the appropriate memory bandwith, cpu etc. to truly shine. Teraflops aren't everything and I can't understand the obsession of this thread with them. Games are far more important. Think of it like this, the console is the car and the games are the fuel. Doesn't matter if the car is a beast if it has no fuel to move. ;)

chromatic9

Oct 25, 2017
I do think they don't want to get in the way of TLOU2 and signal the end too clearly yet, whether they have 8-9tf or 12-13tf. All the hype has got to be the PS4 is still trucking and give this potential huge seller the best chance and focus.

Or maybe they know they have to announce more and instead of doing it now they have a theory of just having them closer, bite the bullet and keep PlayStation in the news for the last big game and new console, take over the news cycle with both?

Last edited:

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I have a question, a lot of people assume that 4k requires 4x time the processing power of 1080p but in a lot of benchmarks i saw 4k produced about half of the fps of 4k, sometimes a bit lower. I know 4k is more bandwidth intensive but if bandwidth is not a problem shouldnt 4k be less of a challenge than many assume?
Here are some benchmark examples:

Here's the thing, you would likely need about 3x the processing power to play the same game in 1080P/30fps as you would 4K/60fps.

That being said, if Lockhart exists and both the X and S series play the same games that probably means all those extra Tflops are just going to run a run a game on a 4Tflop machine in 4K/60.

I would be interested to see how a PS5 checkerboard/30fps game would compare to XSX.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is a tautology. Of course they're not showing it off because they don't want to. Why don't they want to show off the console? That's the question.

Most likely because they don't want to be reactionary. They probably have a carefully laid out plan concerning next gen that they don't want to deviate from that best keeps them in the spotlight in the lead up to release. They were very good at this this gen afterall. We might simply be too far from launch for them to start that ball rolling in any significant way. Because let's face it. Announcing the existence of a PS5 in a wired interview and a very similar looking logo are about as obvious as announcements get. They haven't really started this process properly yet imo.

And I wouldn't be surprised if they went for a shorter, but more relentless flow of news over the span of say 6 months up to the launch at the end of the year. People seem to love that approach regarding games after all and it keeps people talking about their system and builds hype continuously...and that's the key...it's a continuous curve upwards of excitement.

MS's approach is nice for us to talk about on a forum. But if you looked at how much its next gen console was talked about I'd imagine a graph would have a few peaks where they dropped information and long valleys where they're quiet for months. It doesn't really build any sort of momentum this far out from release imo. It's interesting for a day or so and then you stop caring because it's still almost a year away.

Slightly off topic, but Ghost of Tsushima is a lot like that too. It's little bits of information separated by long bouts of silence and as a result I'm struggling to get excited.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Didn't Nintendo also have like a 3 or 2 month window from announcement to release? Maybe you're right here.

I agree on the massive release focus that may be a priority going forward.

Even though prior consoles like the PS2/PS3 also had big games coming out around the time of the next console iteration, gaming is way bigger now as a whole that such titles themselves are their own events with major fanfare.

PS5 being revealed won't overshadow that or screw with the sales but Sony likely just doesn't want to be juggling more then one news piece at a time. They probably want to laser focus on key things at key moments, spread across and swapping between them so they maintain the mind share of not just their upcoming console but their brand itself and the games that back it.

Ghost I don't see being a problem but TLOU and FF7 will likely have Sony wanting to have the press, etc... focusing a lot of their time on.
Most people who wants to play TLoU2 won't upgrade before at least one year. Early adopters will still buy it on PS4 AND buy the PS5.
And there is a big chance no next gen only launch title will be at VGA. It is often OK games at best (baring Knack of course).
If we assume that both consoles will release in November 2020, when does mass production of these consoles has to start?
Parts? Some of them maybe.
The assembly chains? Not before summer. Not before we saw the box. You don't store millions of boxes for a lot of times, it is too costly.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Perhaps Sony's strategy has changed with their recent replacements of some well-known higher-ups, but I can't help but go back and recall Sean Layden's 2013 comment that June was way too late to reveal a console in a launch year. He was talking about preparing retailers earlier for the holiday push.
I worked retail for 35 years at Toys "R" Us and was involved with every launch of consoles since the Nintendo NES. As I continued my career I was more heavily involved in meetings/CES/E3 visits with companies about new games/consoles. A console official reveal has NOTHING to do with retail and has in the past ZERO impact on retailers being prepared. Retailers don't give a shit about TF performance or anything like that. What we did care about is launch date, pricing and number of games/accessories and then working out with the vendors where to merchandise the product. On top of that the other MAJOR factor was product allocation/splits. We always tried to get as much of the pie as we could when it came to major titles/new consoles.

On the retail side of things, it was mainly phone calls and 1 on 1 meetings with the hardware manufactures. Back in the day CES/E3 was important to retail as that was a very easy way to have meetings with everyone in one location. That is what I enjoyed the most is being able to meet face to face with vendors and get information to better inform senior leadership on what is coming and what can we do to get maximum allocations from the vendors. Console reveals for retailers was a big nothing for us...it was more about getting us information about the size of the boxes, the number of games, accessories etc. so we can plan out the space to put this stuff and how we display them in-store.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

It depends on how many they want to have for launch, full stop.

Consoles that have launched in the late-November timeframe have gone into production around midsummer in the past. That's about the latest I can envision before it starts to make more sense to delay to build up a bigger launch supply, though to be honest I think these consoles will be supply-constrained no matter what. Unlike with some electronics, it's not economically viable to put big console boxes on planes, so they have to go on boats.

When I say delay, I don't necessarily mean until 2021, although that's possible. A two or three week delay into early December could make a meaningful difference on available quantities at launch.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
Why? Literal toys are also a multi-billion dollar market that people build their careers around. Some people build communities and make friends around toys, or use them to destress.

I have no problem thinking of video games as toys. They're literal playthings. That should be celebrated, not treated like a badge of shame.

People who get up in arms about games not being toys are the same sort of people who insist that the word "comics" is selling the field short, that they're really graphic novels. Meanwhile, all the people who make comics call them comics.

"Graphic novels", pshh - such an uncouth name for works of pictoral literature.

Jun 23, 2019
Umm did everyone forget that Sony announced the PS4 in February 2013 and dropped TLOU in June 2013? Games have nothing to do with why Sony is choosing to be quiet now. It's more than likely Sony had planned to start talking about it, but Coronavirus threw everything in flux.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I do think they don't want to get in the way of TLOU2 and signal the end too clearly yet, whether they have 8-9tf or 12-13tf. All the hype has got to be the PS4 is still trucking and give this potential huge seller the best chance and focus.

Or maybe they know they have to announce more and instead of doing it now they have a theory of just having them closer, bite the bullet and keep PlayStation in the news for the last big game and new console, take over the news cycle with both?
It is too late. Consoles sales (PS and Xbox) has decreased a lot in 2019 and accelerate quite a bit since Q4.
SONY not being at E3 last year saying they have nothing new to show since 2018 was the end signal.

Jun 23, 2019
But Sony wants to sell those games now. They don't want people to wait to buy them because they'll look prettier on PS5.

But they know there are people who will do so. I'm not saying that Sony delayed the reveal (I still think they weren't planning on saying anything until April anyway), but with the GDC and Pax East pullouts, it's clear things have changed with Sony's plans as of late.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
But they know there are people who will do so.

Of course, but Sony doesn't want to encourage more people to wait.

I'm not saying that Sony delayed the reveal (I still think they weren't planning on saying anything until April anyway), but with the GDC and Pax East pullouts, it's clear things have changed with Sony's plans as of late.

I certainly don't see how pulling out of two major events due to a global health crisis would cause Sony to accelerate their plans. If it was April before, it's not going to be March now.

Windows-PC

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By May I would assume.
The assembly chains? Not before summer. Not before we saw the box. You don't store millions of boxes for a lot of times, it is too costly.
It depends on how many they want to have for launch, full stop.

Consoles that have launched in the late-November timeframe have gone into production around midsummer in the past. That's about the latest I can envision before it starts to make more sense to delay to build up a bigger launch supply, though to be honest I think these consoles will be supply-constrained no matter what. Unlike with some electronics, it's not economically viable to put big console boxes on planes, so they have to go on boats.

When I say delay, I don't necessarily mean until 2021, although that's possible. A two or three week delay into early December could make a meaningful difference on available quantities at launch.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Umm did everyone forget that Sony announced the PS4 in February 2013 and dropped TLOU in June 2013? Games have nothing to do with why Sony is choosing to be quiet now. It's more than likely Sony had planned to start talking about it, but Coronavirus threw everything in flux.

I agree. That was why I was originally on Team2019, thinking about what they did in 2013. But if Corona effected their PS5 reveal, maybe it effected everything they were doing this year marketing wise.

If that is the case, what does Sony do.

Sony is about to do a PS5 reveal, then probably ramp up marketing for TLoU 2.

Also in 2013 I don't think they knew it was gonna be that big of a success. Look at how they are treating Dreams marketing. Different type of game but still. At least GoT is later.

I agree, not saying it's interfering. Just that they have other things to focus on too.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Sony released the coronavirus obviously to cover up being caught flat footed by the 12 TF bombshell. Smart move, Sony.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Mass production on the PS4 started in June, when they planned a staggered console release. They've already hinted at a universal release for the PS5. If their plans haven't changed on that, I'd think they'd have to begin production much earlier than summertime.

Oct 27, 2017
6-7 months ahead of launch is hardly last minute.

People keep on whatabouting this, but talking about the technical aspects of the PS5 in an article in a technology magazine actually seems to me like a deliberately low-profile way to get information about your console out to enthusiasts without necessarily having a big impact on public awareness.

Sony clearly seems concerned with protecting PS4 momentum more than Microsoft is with preserving XO momentum, which is why Microsoft had a big flashy trailer for their new console during the Game Awards and Sony didn't.

Sony wants their big Q2 games to sell PS4s.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this. I quite honestly don't agree with anything that I have quoted here..

Except the part about selling ps4s. Just that everyone has been saying games, now it is morphing into games selling consoles.

Anyway, we'll leave it at that.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Of course games sell consoles.

I don't think saying that Sony wants to sell copies of The Last of Us 2, and also hopes that TLOU2 will move PS4 consoles, is really going out on a limb, or evidence of anyone "morphing" their story or whatever.

But resetera, I guess. I never knew "Sony wants to sell their hardware and software products that are on the market in the first ten months of the year" would be such a controversial take.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Some of the most successful electronics in the world announce within a few weeks of delivery, within a few days of being able to pre-order.

Not saying Sony is going to do that; but within a few months is plenty of time... close to pre-order availability would maximize hype.

Or they'll announce details next week; nobody really knows.. they are going to sell out every unit they produce for some time most likely either way, so not quite sure what any of you think they are losing out on by waiting a while.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I worked retail for 35 years at Toys "R" Us and was involved with every launch of consoles since the Nintendo NES. As I continued my career I was more heavily involved in meetings/CES/E3 visits with companies about new games/consoles. A console official reveal has NOTHING to do with retail and has in the past ZERO impact on retailers being prepared. Retailers don't give a shit about TF performance or anything like that. What we did care about is launch date, pricing and number of games/accessories and then working out with the vendors where to merchandise the product. On top of that the other MAJOR factor was product allocation/splits. We always tried to get as much of the pie as we could when it came to major titles/new consoles.

On the retail side of things, it was mainly phone calls and 1 on 1 meetings with the hardware manufactures. Back in the day CES/E3 was important to retail as that was a very easy way to have meetings with everyone in one location. That is what I enjoyed the most is being able to meet face to face with vendors and get information to better inform senior leadership on what is coming and what can we do to get maximum allocations from the vendors. Console reveals for retailers was a big nothing for us...it was more about getting us information about the size of the boxes, the number of games, accessories etc. so we can plan out the space to put this stuff and how we display them in-store.
Good perspective, thanks.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

I don't think saying that Sony wants to sell copies of The Last of Us 2, and also hopes that TLOU2 will move PS4 consoles, is really going out on a limb, or evidence of anyone "morphing" their story or whatever.

But resetera, I guess. I never knew "Sony wants to sell their hardware and software products that are currently on the market" would be such a controversial take.
It just sounds funny to me the theory that Sony is not promoting the PS5 because they want to sell more current-gen games, which in turn promotes the selling of more PS4's. I know they want to sell games this year, but I think PS5 sales have priority this year over PS4 sales.

Oct 27, 2017

But resetera, I guess. I never knew "Sony wants to sell their hardware and software products that are on the market in the first ten months of the year" would be such a controversial take.
You just can't drop it lol

We have had pages for the last couple of days saying that they don't want to mess with the marketing of their games, then you just turned it into "games selling consoles".

Also, I saw you just post up the page that all of the other ps3 games under-performed except TLOU. What games ( GT took a hit because it came after ps4 perhaps) are you talking about? What were their sales expectations pre-launch?

Last edited:

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
And we covered the financial statement earlier in the thread, here is the full quote that got people thinking they are "Revealing the product" on the same timeline:

Mikio Hirakawa -- Bank of America Merrill Lynch -- Analyst

The PS5 is to be launched in the selling season toward the end of the year. So what would be the guidance -- the future guidance for March '21? You have not disclosed the price for PS5. So what would happen to
the guidance that you will be releasing in April for the next fiscal year*?*

Hiroki Totoki -- Senior Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer

It's very difficult to really discuss this timing-wise, but as of today,
we will provide the guidance at a time period, which is comparable to the past. So we will not change the time schedule."

"Comparable to the past"; Sony didn't put any Playstation info in their April 2013 guidance, and hadn't announced price yet:

So the statement is likely meaningless to us gamers.. they announced price at E3 in June of 2013, guidance to investors likely came near then too.. someone can go through their financial statements if they want.

But it's gonna be stuff like how much revenue they expect to generate, not product details.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019

Thanks for this. So what do you make of this Shawn Layden quote then?
"Now we have an event in February called Destination PlayStation, where we bring all retailers and third-party partners to come hear the story for the year," he said. "They're making purchasing discussions in February. June, now, is just too late to have a Christmas holiday discussion with retailers.

Last edited:

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
So I am playing game pass Hellblade. Not so impressed with the enhanced visuals setting lol, but if next gen comes out anything like Project Mara or what we saw in Senua's new trailer that is going to be so insane. I take it I should be playing this game with headphones due to stereo audio. Still sounds pretty good on my 7.1 system with Neural X. To be fair I am seeing most console graphics as old and dated at this point. Next gen can't come soon enough. Is Gears supposed to be 1X's best "looker"?

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Mass production on the PS4 started in June, when they planned a staggered console release. They've already hinted at a universal release for the PS5. If their plans haven't changed on that, I'd think they'd have to begin production much earlier than summertime.
IIRC Lisa Su already stated console chip production starts in Q2 and will go full-on in Q3. This was before corona though.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
You can't just can't drop it lol

Making a final point and then announcing "we'll leave it at that" and leaving no room for any sort of rebuttal is just bad form.

We have had pages for the last couple of days saying that they don't want to mess with the marketing of their games, then you just turned it into "games selling consoles".

How are those mutually exclusive? They want to sell games to existing console owners. They also want to sell consoles on the strength of those games. Why are you taking issue with this, or presenting it as some sort of spin or dodge? They're practically non-statements.

I swear I feel like I'm having a stroke here sometimes. Those are both not only perfectly compatible statements, they're both obviously true. Selling consoles to play games and then selling more games to owners of those consoles is basically the entire console business.

We can debate the impact of revealing the PS5 early on these game sales, sure. But I can't for the life of me understand why you're pulling out "Oh, so now you say Sony wants their big releases to sell systems?" as if it's some sort of gotcha or dunk.

It just sounds funny to me the theory that Sony is not promoting the PS5 because they want to sell more current-gen games, which in turn promotes the selling of more PS4's.

Both can be true. I'm basically just saying "Sony wants to sell their current products." Which, like, yeah.

Do you think that Sony isn't going to have a special PS4 bundle for TLOU2? Okay, that's Sony using TLOU2 to move systems. For a very obvious example.

Roarschach

Dec 18, 2018
So I am playing game pass Hellblade. Not so impressed with the enhanced visuals setting lol, but if next gen comes out anything like Project Mara or what we saw in Senua's new trailer that is going to be so insane. I take it I should be playing this game with headphones due to stereo audio. Still sounds pretty good on my 7.1 system with Neural X. To be fair I am seeing most console graphics as old and dated at this point. Next gen can't come soon enough. Is Gears supposed to be 1X's best "looker"?
I'd say Forza horizon 4

Oct 27, 2017
Making a final point and then announcing "we'll leave it at that" and leaving no room for any sort of rebuttal is just bad form.

How are those mutually exclusive? They want to sell games to existing console owners. They also want to sell consoles on the strength of those games. Why are you taking issue with this, or presenting it as some sort of spin or dodge? They're practically non-statements.

I swear I feel like I'm having a stroke here sometimes. Those are both not only perfectly compatible statements, they're both obviously true. Selling consoles to play games and then selling more games to owners of those consoles is basically the entire console business.

We can debate the impact of revealing the PS5 early on these game sales, sure. But I can't for the life of me understand why you're pulling out "Oh, so now you say Sony wants their big releases to sell systems?" as if it's some sort of gotcha or dunk.

Both can be true. I'm basically just saying "Sony wants to sell their current products." Which, like, yeah.

Do you think that Sony isn't going to have a special PS4 bundle for TLOU2? Okay, that's Sony using TLOU2 to move systems. For a very obvious example.
Lol no worries..

Ignore is a wonderful feature

Status
Not open for further replies.