• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team are you on?

• Double Team (1997)

• Team Walnut

• The A-Team

• Team "No One Can Stop Mr. Domino"

• Sports Team

• "I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel."

• Team Margarita

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Interesting:

"Although the cause is unknown, Navi 21 has the same DEV_ID as N10 in some drivers (7310)."

Hmm...intentional obfuscation? :)

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
My take.

Sony isn't going to do an official reveal until May/June. It has nothing to do with current PS4 releases either.

Sony had a PS4 reveal in 2013, but then had another reveal at E3 where they showed off the console etc.

This time Sony have been dropping bits of PS5 information for almost a year. We know about the 3D audio, the haptic feedback DS5, the super fast SSD at some more. There is no need for a reveal in Feb/March then another one in the summer.

Best to just leave it until the summer and do one, huge information blowout. I would assume that MS would also do the same and not talk about the XSX again until the summer.

Time to just wait it out.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Interesting:

"Although the cause is unknown, Navi 21 has the same DEV_ID as N10 in some drivers (7310)."

Translation of the translation? Not sure what's been going on with any of these recent Komachi/Rogame tweets. Are they potentially console-related or are they looking at PC parts?

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Maybe the fact that Navi 21 is marked under the same ID as Navi 10 means that Navi 21 is literally butterfly design Navi 10 using N7P rather than N7+ and will arrive before Navi 23? Going by that train of thought, then it might explain why is Series X using Zen 2 and RDNA2 despite them being on incompatible nodes. It could be AMD wants a RDNA2 card out early before NVidia can release their RTX 30X0 cards so they made a card on the N7P node that uses the feature set of RDNA2, as in, ray tracing and VRS capabilities.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Translation of the translation? Not sure what's been going on with any of these recent Komachi/Rogame tweets. Are they potentially console-related or are they looking at PC parts?
I think it's platform agnostic;affects all parts.
This is the 2nd time we've heard about AMD using wrong/spoofed IDs for parts and IIRC it all started back in 2018 when they switched how their product names are decoded.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
This is the 2nd time we've heard about AMD using wrong/spoofed IDs for parts and IIRC it all started back in 2018 when they switched how their product names are decoded.

Okay, so it's more about changes to how things are named in documents rather than relating to anything specific?

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
People keep on whatabouting this, but talking about the technical aspects of the PS5 in an article in a technology magazine actually seems to me like a deliberately low-profile way to get information about your console out to enthusiasts without necessarily having a big impact on public awareness.

Sony clearly seems concerned with protecting PS4 momentum more than Microsoft is with preserving XO momentum, which is why Microsoft had a big flashy trailer for their new console during the Game Awards and Sony didn't.

Sony wants their big Q2 games to sell PS4s.
Nah that's nonsense.

It doesn't matter if the original article was on Wired - it spread like wildfire across every gaming site. Even mainstream sites like the BBC picked up on it. Then there was the more recent PS5 logo reveal on Instagram - people even bragged here about how many likes it was getting.

Momentum? Sales for both current gen consoles are plummeting - more so than the 360 / PS3 did back in 2013.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
Off topic but very important-we are witnessing total collapse of the supply chain in China:

It will take months to sort these things out and that's the best case scenario.

Arkham

Nov 12, 2017
JimRyan.gif

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I realize that but the point I was trying to make was that Layden was saying that retailers needed to be informed on the year's plans much earlier than June.
That's fair. I was more posting for the general knowledge of the thread. I'm sure they've had some discussions, especially since retailers probably worry about the role of physical media.
I think it may point to that XSX, or Navi 21 lite is on 7NP.
May be why Odium is calling it RDNA 1.9.

Some of the most successful electronics in the world announce within a few weeks of delivery, within a few days of being able to pre-order.

Not saying Sony is going to do that; but within a few months is plenty of time... close to pre-order availability would maximize hype.

Or they'll announce details next week; nobody really knows.. they are going to sell out every unit they produce for some time most likely either way, so not quite sure what any of you think they are losing out on by waiting a while.

That's a rather inadequate view. The console itself is a piece of electronics, but what they're selling is a platform. It's a driver of a continued revenue stream akin to a media player (DVDs, blu rays), PC (accessories such as cables, headsets, chargers), and now, streaming boxes. New media platforms and streaming services are announced months if not over a year in advance. Consoles take a tremendous amount of retail space. One console will get as much aisle space as things such as printers, or keyboards, mouses, and other accessories. Gaming consoles as a whole take up several rows and are as big as some of the main ticket items in a big box store like the TV or phone sections. These spaces often need demo stations, which can even be actively stationed some times. Retailers have to consciously think about how their floor space drives revenue, and consoles take a lot of it.

On top of that, the one example we have of a console with a small runway leading up to retail was a disaster. Not wholly owing to that of course as the Saturn had other problems, but their reveal strategy was universally panned.

Last edited:

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I see people say this a lot -- Lockhart existing isn't a rumor. If you put a retail Xbox One into dev mode there are several references to it

eg
// TODO: Final branding for Lockhart/Anaconda (TFS 23410665)
"lockhart": "Constrains CPU, GPU and memory resources to resemble a Lockhart retail console, but should not be considered an exact match for performance nor a replacement for testing on a Lockhart.",
"anaconda": "Constrains CPU, GPU and memory resources to resemble an Anaconda retail console",
"game streaming": ""

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the DF video about Lockhart. Good for showing general efficiency of Navi vs older architectures,

my Impressions from the video are that Lockhart should be fine. Zen and SSD being the same, and ram amount/bandwidth scaling based on relative target resolution

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
at this point I'm definitely expecting next gen consoles to be delayed to 2021

Seems like yet another reason to suspect that a PS5 reveal might not be imminent, but what do I know...

I'd be very okay with 2021 consoles. I think Sony would too — they could rejigger their schedule and set up Ghost of Tsushima as their big fall title, and of course TLOU2 will keep selling throughout the year.

I think Microsoft would face some hard choices, though. I think they'd delay both Halo and Forza to release alongside the new console(s), which doesn't leave a whole lot for them in 2020. An XSX-less 2020 is the sort of year where a broader portfolio of active IPs would really benefit them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Richard about 4TF Lockhart:

cc DukeBlueBall 😉

Using games that are made to run on 2013 APU on beefy 2019 hardware is like bechnmarking the benchmark itself. For me the question is more : is to possible to design a 12TF game that won't run descently on a 4TF GPU even with a lowered resolution and/or post-process FX (shadows, framerate, FoV etc.). Also, next-gen won't erase the usefulness of all forms of dynamic/upscaling resolution tech that aren't covered here.

Last edited:

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
It just sounds funny to me the theory that Sony is not promoting the PS5 because they want to sell more current-gen games, which in turn promotes the selling of more PS4's. I know they want to sell games this year, but I think PS5 sales have priority this year over PS4 sales.

The PS5 will be sold out this year even if they announce it 1 week before launch with no exclusive games. Sony will not be able to produce enough consoles for launch.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
The question is more : is to possible to design a 12TF game that won't run descently on a 4TF GPU even with a lowered resolution and common post-process FX. Using games that are made to run on 2013 APU on such hardware is like bechnmarking the benchmark itself.

I have zero technical knowledge, so this could be nonsense, but I feel like you would have to build a game at 1080p (or even lower)/30 with a ton of graphical effects to make it unscalable, and it seems a bit unlikely to me that anyone will do that.

As I understand it, if you're at 60FPS, then cutting that to 30 halves graphic card requirements, so anything at 1080p/60 would likely be near enough running at 720/30 on the other console, I think.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
Off topic but very important-we are witnessing total collapse of the supply chain in China:

It will take months to sort these things out and that's the best case scenario.

Yet we do know that Foxconn facilities have been back up and running for at least a week now, although not at full capacity. I even saw that they were offering $1,000 employee signup bonuses.

Brees2Thomas

Dec 27, 2019
That's fair. I was more posting for the general knowledge of the thread. I'm sure they've had some discussions, especially since retailers probably worry about the role of physical media.
I just don't know what "informing retailers" entails this year. Is it done with a private event or in public as in a PlayStation Meeting?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting:

What's hilarious is wasn't there a tweet that mentioned AMD switching up the ID formula some months ago? Seems many have just overlooked that post.

It just adds to the puzzle pieces IMO.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah , for kids room or 1080p TVs it would be a great add-on if it hits $299 price.

That's my thinking as well...

If I go PS5 this gen, it would be hard not to also pickup a Lockhart so that keep enjoying all my Gamepass benefits
Here's the thing, you would likely need about 3x the processing power to play the same game in 1080P/30fps as you would 4K/60fps.

That being said, if Lockhart exists and both the X and S series play the same games that probably means all those extra Tflops are just going to run a run a game on a 4Tflop machine in 4K/60.

I would be interested to see how a PS5 checkerboard/30fps game would compare to XSX.

Nah. There would be nothing stopping a developer from using the extra Tflops to push graphical upgrades w/ advanced upscaling instead of native 4k/60.

Considering the diminishing returns of native 4k compared to modern upscaling techniques, I'd say this approach will be the norm for XSX.

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
So if PS5 is 12-14TF what price is that going to come in at? I see people saying xsx is going to be $600 because of 12 TF. What is a more powerful PS5 going to run?

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, this is what I was talking about. Can't find the post now...damn I wished I used bookmarks more, lol.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have zero technical knowledge, so this could be nonsense, but I feel like you would have to build a game at 1080p (or even lower)/30 with a ton of graphical effects to make it unscalable, and it seems a bit unlikely to me that anyone will do that.

As I understand it, if you're at 60FPS, then cutting that to 30 halves graphic card requirements, so anything at 1080p/60 would likely be near enough running at 720/30 on the other console, I think.
The resolution alone doesn't define how much a game, especially a 3D game, is weighting on a GPU, that choice is made upstream by devs when they decide how they will fill in their scenes, and on the baseline chosen to maintain it. Where I am skeptic is with the idea that it would have zero consequences on gamedesign.

Newbong

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation saying that the timeline of reveal will be similar to past . Can it be the same as ps4 pro reveal ? .. it was reveal in September i guess

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
So if PS5 is 12-14TF what price is that going to come in at? I see people saying xsx is going to be $600 because of 12 TF. What is a more powerful PS5 going to run?
Most people don't think it will be over $500 in either case. Anything higher is not market proven.
Playstation saying that the timeline of reveal will be similar to past . Can it be the same as ps4 pro reveal ? .. it was reveal in September i guess
PS4 Pro was different in that the retail structure didn't need to change. It wasn't all that different than deploying a slim variant, for example. None of the games or accessories changed.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
I just don't see this happening. It would be a very expensive console.

Sony has been talking about quick transition to PS5 which points to a lower, probably $399 price point imo. Nothing they have said points to being most powerful console or more powerful than XseX, which also will be quite expensive, I think $499 or even $549.

Either you build a powerful and expensive console or a less powerful and medium priced console. So far I see Sony doing the latter and MS doing former with XseX.

This is just pure speculation on my part so I could be totally wrong.

pratyush1991

Jan 9, 2020
Isn't Coronavirus a big issue in Japan? Sony, being Japanese company will definitely not ignore such situation and be insensitive with their conduct.

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
So I am playing game pass Hellblade. Not so impressed with the enhanced visuals setting lol, but if next gen comes out anything like Project Mara or what we saw in Senua's new trailer that is going to be so insane. I take it I should be playing this game with headphones due to stereo audio. Still sounds pretty good on my 7.1 system with Neural X. To be fair I am seeing most console graphics as old and dated at this point. Next gen can't come soon enough. Is Gears supposed to be 1X's best "looker"?
Best looking is probably RDR2, but for first party I think Forza Horizon 4, Sea of Thieves, and Gears 5. Both Horizon and Gears 5 are prioritizing 60fps as well, and I think that is actually why there are some better looking 3rd party games that focus on 30 FPS.

My personal list for 3rd party games on the One X is RDR2, Metro Exodus, Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Origins, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Status
Not open for further replies.