• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I got accepted into the beta for xcloud! Playing with a dualshock 4 and it's good!

does it feel being a stone cold criminal?

Samsung Will Mass Produce 7nm EUV Chips In Q4 2019

"Samsung didn't take the lead in delivering 7nm EUV products this year, and TSMC, therefore, gained an edge.. Now we've got more details about Samsung's semiconductor fabrication, particularly about its 7nm EUV node.. Samsung made chips might make it on Qualcomm and Nvidia's products in the future, and therefore, 7nm EUV will shape the future of both mobile and desktop/server-grade hardware.

Samsung's 5nm node exceeds the transistor density of TSMC's 7nm and Intel's 10nm products. The South Asian chaebol's semiconductor division can squeeze in 130 million transistors per mm². TSMC will catch back up with Samsung through the 5nm node (N5) offering a 173MT/mm² density. Samsung's true ace-in-the-hole will be 3nm gate-all-around. IBM and Samsung jointly announced the world's first 5nm gate-all-around FET chip in 2017. This chip comes can pack 600 million transistors in one mm². The company believes that 3nm will let it halve its 7nm EUV's core area and power consumption."

Remember that 7nm Samsung PS4 Super slim anexanhume ? ;)

I'd call that rumor dead at this point. RIP in peace HBM.

GAAFET looks super promising, not only allowing for smaller features overall, but vastly increasing density and being somewhat "simpler" to pattern at this scale than FinFET.

The key thing is channel stacking. Being able to scale in Z is a huge deal.

ArabianPrynce

Jun 1, 2019
"Wow, what a bad game"
check dev times
"Wow, what a good game"

=> This is not how it works
Ah yeah does. Have you seen kz2 and 3 both were great games that had full dev and the whole team were working on it. Shadowfall was decent but didnt have the level of production that both previous games had. I am sure if GG had enough time to develop the game the enough man power they can make a killzone with the same quality we can expect from the series

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Ah yeah does. Have you seen kz2 and 3 both were great games that had full dev and the whole team were working on it. Shadowfall was decent but didnt have the level of production that both previous games had. I am sure if GG had enough time to develop the game the enough man power they can make a killzone with the same quality we can expect from the series
But they didn't and it wasn't. What could be doesn't change what was.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Nah, they have plenty times with horizon and it is one of most boring ps4 aaa exlusive, they are master of great enigine but don't know how to tell the story

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Nah, they have plenty times with horizon and it is one of most boring ps4 aaa exlusive, they are master of great enigine but don't know how to tell the story

Tv0vLoo.gif

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I have to agree with sncvsrtoip on the boring Horizon story. Doesn't hold a candle to TLOU or W3. HZD was ok but not super strong on the narrative. I think they will develop that better next time around.
That said, the game is dripping with beautiful details, and I really admire that effort.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon had one of the best, most interesting narratives this gen. Just thought I'd put that out there to counter some of the absurdity in this thread.

I think GG is going to do something really special with Horizon 2 on the PS5, especially if it's near as powerful as many leaks have suggested.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Horizon's story is way better than TLoU's, and the latter is really good in that regard. Guerilla really surprised me with that game. Don't think my jaw was ever on the floor as much with other games as it was with Horizon.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Horizon's story is way better than TLoU's, and the latter is really good in that regard. Guerilla really surprised me with that game. Don't think my jaw was ever on the floor as much with other games as it was with Horizon.

I think some people mix up story telling (the direction, narrative and the way a story is told or detailed) and story (scenario/synopsis). TLOU has really great story telling bu the story itself is so-so niche and predictable and if the story telling wasn't great it could be any random B or C rank one in some series. Horizon has a really interesting story but the non linear RPG story telling that wasn't that cinematic focused deprived it for sounding that great or put in emphasis.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I think some people mix up story telling (the direction, narrative and the way a story is told or detailed) and story (scenario/synopsis). TLOU has really great story telling bu the story itself is so-so niche and predictable and if the story telling wasn't great it could be any random B or C rank one in some series. Horizon has a really interesting story but the non linear RPG story telling that wasn't that cinematic focused deprived it for sounding that great or put in emphasis.
yep horizon doesn't have bad story just empty world with shallow npc's and generaly narrative was underwhelming

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fuck?

they did a fantastic job telling the backstory of horizon and tying it with the current story of aloy. i do agree that some of the current day stuff wasnt good but aloy was very well fleshed out.

horizon is one of the best ps4 exclusives in every department. combat is top notch.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
the fuck?

they did a fantastic job telling the backstory of horizon and tying it with the current story of aloy. i do agree that some of the current day stuff wasnt good but aloy was very well fleshed out.

horizon is one of the best ps4 exclusives in every department. combat is top notch.
Combat is good, story is good, graphic is great and still is booring because of poor narrative, shallows npc's and empty world ;) Criticized Days Gone is much better exclusive.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Horizon had one of the best, most interesting narratives this gen. Just thought I'd put that out there to counter some of the absurdity in this thread.

I think GG is going to do something really special with Horizon 2 on the PS5, especially if it's near as powerful as many leaks have suggested.
Thats the thing, GG is good at graphics & you even focus on that by saying it's special due to the hardware in PS5, but the story in HZD wasn't anything special.
GG is like the Crytek of Sony, that's not really a bad thing though, i think some games can focus more on the showcase element.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
Thats the thing, GG is good at graphics & you even focus on that by saying it's special due to the hardware in PS5, but the story in HZD wasn't anything special.
GG is like the Crytek of Sony, that's not really a bad thing though, i think some games can focus more on the showcase element.

nah, Horizon zero dawn was a new IP that scored and 89 on meta that everyone enjoyed. I'm sure it scored and sold better than any of your fav new ip's this gen.
the game had a very good story, very good gameplay that controlled so well, and the graphics I'm HDR amazing. Don't try to down play GG because you didn't like their game. They are no where near a Crytec for Sony. The at least are devs that are still making games.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
nah, Horizon zero dawn was a new IP that scored and 89 on meta that everyone enjoyed. I'm sure it scored and sold better than any of your fav new ip's this gen.
the game had a very good story, very good gameplay that controlled so well, and the graphics I'm HDR amazing. Don't try to down play GG because you didn't like their game. They are no where near a Crytec for Sony. The at least are devs that are still making games.
My fav new IP is PUBG, 40mil copies & half of them were not bundled.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So I was thinking. The enhanced consoles won't really get a chance to be the baseline for cross-gen games. Games can't really be made for PS4 Pro/XB1X and leave out PS4/XB1S. It's a shame, these machines were created but weren't taken full advantage of.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
So I was thinking. The enhanced consoles won't really get a chance to be the baseline for cross-gen games. Games can't really be made for PS4 Pro/XB1X and leave out PS4/XB1S. It's a shame, these machines were created but weren't taken full advantage of.

Yeah, there's no way it could work unless they had been given Zen CPUs. But it's fine with me. On to nextgen, just on the... Horizon ;)

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Death stranding is divisive, not surprising at all. It was internally. Just need to wait for the sales of the game, some people at Sony were afraid but the game seems low 80. It will probably be ok and profitable.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Sony is patenting an ejector seat (not really but look at the patent image)

Sony is patenting an antenna, most likely for PSVR (see more about inverted F antennas and their usage in mobile devices)

Sony is using machine learning to assess how to react to predetermined states when using VR. Will need to google translate to get more than the abstract offers

Preventing vibrational moding in a controller (Whether natural frequency of controller body or when in contact with a surface that can cause chattering)

RevengeTaken

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
Man oh man... Death Stranding looks almost like the heretic tech demo! Unbelievable!

Can not even imagine HZD2 running in real-time on PS5!

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Man oh man... Death Stranding looks almost like the heretic tech demo! Unbelievable!

Can not even imagine HZD2 running in real-time on PS5!

I always said that. In fact Cliff character is the best character to date, looks next-gen compared to the others and is better than Heretic one. He just looks real and some games next-gen will have hard time to reach his level.

Death Stranding legit looks insane, the way they can dynamically raise and lower the goo level during an encounter with BTs is nuts.

Yes I highlighte that part since the early trailers and some even claimed fluid dynamics are impossible to achieve on current consoles.

Last edited:

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Death Stranding legit looks insane, the way they can dynamically raise and lower the goo level during an encounter with BTs is nuts.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Yes I highlighte that part since the early trailers and some even claimed fluid dynamics are impossible to achieve on current consoles.
remember that its an open world game too! that means they need to manage the memory on CPU so percisely to acheieve that.
those systems are ridiculous.
imagine what he could have done on a next gen budget.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
Seeing Death Stranding and one moment of the launch trailer looks like the rebirth demo moment we see the vehicle on side.

I think next gen some games will reach this level

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran

Samsung Will Mass Produce 7nm EUV Chips In Q4 2019

"Samsung didn't take the lead in delivering 7nm EUV products this year, and TSMC, therefore, gained an edge.. Now we've got more details about Samsung's semiconductor fabrication, particularly about its 7nm EUV node.. Samsung made chips might make it on Qualcomm and Nvidia's products in the future, and therefore, 7nm EUV will shape the future of both mobile and desktop/server-grade hardware.

Samsung's 5nm node exceeds the transistor density of TSMC's 7nm and Intel's 10nm products. The South Asian chaebol's semiconductor division can squeeze in 130 million transistors per mm². TSMC will catch back up with Samsung through the 5nm node (N5) offering a 173MT/mm² density. Samsung's true ace-in-the-hole will be 3nm gate-all-around. IBM and Samsung jointly announced the world's first 5nm gate-all-around FET chip in 2017. This chip comes can pack 600 million transistors in one mm². The company believes that 3nm will let it halve its 7nm EUV's core area and power consumption."

Remember that 7nm Samsung PS4 Super slim anexanhume ? ;)

We might see quantum consoles by 2035. The nodes are shrinking but there is no alternative. This simple binary 1 and 0 transistor needs to go.

Vice did a video on this

Another great video

The engines need to be designed for this. A lot of groundwork is required. Microsoft already working on quantum machines.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
Seeing Death Stranding and one moment of the launch trailer looks like the rebirth demo moment we see the vehicle on side.

After watching DF's video on Death Stranding....
DS was designed around a shitty CPU and 1.8 TF gpu with more primitive feature set. Now imagine a brand-new GPU hovering around 10 TF and a proper 8 core CPU coupled with lightning-fast SSD. In my opininion, we are simply not prepared for what devs will cook us up next-gen.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
We might see quantum consoles by 2035. The nodes are shrinking but there is no alternative. This simple binary 1 and 0 transistor needs to go.

Quantum computing isn't really a substitute for traditional computing. It's (theoretically) really good at a small sliver of very complex problems (optimization problems, stuff with a vast multidimensional search space) and..... not good at all at everything else. That is to say, it will (theoretically) be awesome to traverse an energy landscape and find the lowest state in protein folding, something that takes a ridiculously large amount of processing currently, not so awesome to do the kind of extremely scalar number crunching the vast majority of our computing consists of, though.

Even if you managed to characterize every single problem you use your traditional computer to solve as an optimization problem (there are some theories that point it might be... something), it's akin to using a nuke to kill individual, single ants.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
After watching DF's video on Death Stranding....
DS was designed around a shitty CPU and 1.8 TF gpu with more primitive feature set. Now imagine a brand-new GPU hovering around 10 TF and a proper 8 core CPU coupled with lightning-fast SSD. In my opininion, we are simply not prepared for what devs will cook us up next-gen.

Yep next gen going to blow people away and people to worry about things .

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i have been saying this forever simply because DS comes close to matching these visuals. next gen environments should look photorealistic.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
i have been saying this forever simply because DS comes close to matching these visuals. next gen environments should look photorealistic.
One thing I never posted here, but this cinematic... as I have heard from a reliable source, was not actually real time on that GPU in that form in that video. Other footage out there you may have seen of it, yeah, but that video? I heard that it is, in spite of what may have been written about it, not actually real-time. RRather pre-rendered out and then just playing back.

Status
Not open for further replies.