• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
No matter what I think of the specifications being listed there I think that is a funny, clever and cool leak

Nachtmaer

Oct 27, 2017
How likely or unlikely would it be for next gen consoles to have either Zen 3 or a Zen 2 variant which supports 3-way SMT? We know that early Zen 3 hardware exists because of the Arcturus leak back in December and now AdoredTV has confirmed more than 2-way SMT does actually exist in AMDs plans (up to 4-way SMT), and will be a feature of their Rome(?) launch in Q4 2020. For the sake of discussion, if one console has just 2-way and the other has 3-way, what kind of differences would we be looking at as a result? Better performance? Better RT capabilities? More complex physics?
I will gladly eat anything people tell me to eat if any of the new consoles have Zen 3 or do more than 2-way SMT.

You don't need Adored's rumors to assume Zen 3 already exists, CPUs take a long-ass time to go from tape out to volume production.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Did anyone else notice this?

From that Reddit post from a supposed developer about the PS5 SSD that has already been posted and talked about:

If you go to the user:

You see this as their avatar:

K740fAa.png

The URL then leads to this image:

pfnbeKW.png

4096-bit bus?

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

From that Reddit post from a supposed developer about the PS5 SSD that has already been posted and talked about:

If you go to the user:

K740fAa.png

pfnbeKW.png

Isn't this in line with many previous leaks? 18GB RAM via HBM2, 700GB BW, ~1800MHz clock.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Curious to see what the Dualshock 5 looks like and how they'll iterate on it...

Expecting the Scarlett devices to launch with the same XB1 controllers we've seen, Anaconda should totally launch with an Elite style controller though.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
For what it's worth....if I were in a position to know and wanted to leak stuff but didn't want to lose my job (obviously) this is definitely a way to do it

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
4096-bit bus implies HBM2 right and I don't want to believe it'd have HBM2 given the huge cost involved.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
I assume it will depend on the developers and how their engine works and if its set up to take advantage of that, and if so in what way — would they prefer it be RT, would they prefer it help AI, would they prefer physics — what makes the most sense for their game etc.
I'm more interested in what kind of percentage gains we'll be seeing in those tasks as well compared to 2-way.

I will gladly eat anything people tell me to eat if any of the new consoles have Zen 3 or do more than 2-way SMT.
Lmao. We just have to wait and see now.

CosmicBolt

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 28, 2017

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

pfnbeKW.png
Nice specs, IF true.

LOL, nice try but a trivial mistake: From the table those names (float, double, int) are common data types used in programming languages. But "double" as a data type is actually FP64 aka double precision = 64 bit. For half-precision you would rather use something like "bfloat16" or "half" for half-precision (16 bit floating point format) calculations .

From OpenCL specification which the author seem not to have understood LOL.:
JQq2GqX.png

OpenCL1.0 Spec

Verdict: 100% fake

Last edited:

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018

If you go to the user:

K740fAa.png

pfnbeKW.png
Someone in the comments seems to have taken issue with the part about HBCC.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PS5/commen...ame/eopn1cn?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Kotaku reporter Jason Schreier already said(about a month ago) that both Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than Google's Stadia 10.7 TF?
Shouldn't be a problem with xCloud but the consoles might struggle, someone said in the Stadia unveil thread that Stadia boxes could be stacked into 2 x 10.7tf, if needed.

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Doesn't seem too crazy or oit of this world to be considered fake with this level of certainty .what's ur reason ?
This
LOL, nice try but a trivial mistake: From the table those names (float, double, int) are common data types used in programming languages. But "double" as a data type is actually FP64 aka double precision = 64 bit. For half-precision you would rather use something like "bfloat16" or "half" for half-precision (16 bit floating point format) calculations .

Btw. Those "tests" are just a copy of the "Scalar Data Types" from the OpenCL specification which the author seem not to have understood LOL. Here is the proof:
JQq2GqX.png

OpenCL1.0 Spec

Verdict: 100% fake

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Ps4 dev kit had lower ram than final release version though :p

Of course the very early PC-based kit had a different amount and type of RAM but the near final and final dev kit had precisely 8GB in clamshell mode.

800px-CVN-K12_0-000-000-15_DUH-D1000AA_board.png

Last year there was a lot of talk about PS5 PC-based kits being out there for a while and then Mark Cerny himself talked about new kits going out.

My guess is the new kits are the first early real hardware kits but would love to get more info from those that don't post on Pastebin or Reddit......

Oct 27, 2017
Its more creative than the usual pastebin tat, I'll give it that.

EDIT : It didn't pass the ShaidarHaran2 test anyway.

/u/vibli: This is obviously a throwaway account that I will delete in a few days... I have no technical data to share and I will not tell my position or company size like other "leakers" do as that could pinpoint me.

/u/ShaidarHaran2: That's fine, but how about something completely anonymous that would confirm you are someone in a position to have a dev kit? Could you tell me the GNM macro used to write a dword into the GPU buffer?

/u/vibli: A monad is just a monoid in the category of endofunctors, what's the problem? Even though I know what a DWORD i I'm not a software engineer and I have never heard of a so called GNM macro. I would need to ask one to see if you're just fooling me.

/u/ShaidarHaran2: On PS4's GNM, most GPU commands are series of DWORDs written into the command buffer, I was asking how one would call that function if one was a developer. If you could ask one of them that would be great!

Could you give some idea what you do then? I'm just looking for something that will anonymously verify you are who you say you are, otherwise it's just another "leak" among many fakes. If you get back to me on my puzzle I'll declare you the realest leak so far lol.

/u/vibli:

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Last edited:

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Which proves my point even more! As I said, for half precision you use "half" and not "double" data types! Which leads to that "screenshot" is doctored. Or do you really want to tell me something different?
I too had a hard time understandimg your complaint, bit I see it now.

Under the heading "half precision" it lists a bunch of results for doubles.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Which proves my point even more! As I said, for half precision you use "half" and not "double" data types! Which leads to that the "screenshot" of the rumor is doctored. Or do you really want to tell me something different?
Yes, it appears they made a copy-paste error when creating the graphic.

edit: FWIW, I couldn't find any bug reports stating that it was misreporting types, and it looks as though clpeak doesn't even report memory size.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12635

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yes, it appears they made a copy-paste error when creating the graphic.
And thanks btw for sharing that tweet which makes it even more obvious. I am not working on OpenBSD so I am not familiar with all the tools that exist. But just from how the tests were grouped it was clear it was fake (without even knowing about the tool).

Last edited:

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Navi is a new architecture, so we don't know what the clocks will be for a desktop variant. Secondly, Navi was developed specifically for the mid-range console APU market...so it stands to reason that the desktop cards won't be top of the line and therefore impossible for consoles to meet.

Vega/radeon is to remain as top dog in 2019 but when navi20 comes next year, I expect that to be at the top of AMD's gpu line up. Had no idea navi was made specifically with console APUs in mind. Is that based on the rumor sony helped amd with navi development?

Shouldn't be a problem with xCloud but the consoles might struggle, someone said in the Stadia unveil thread that Stadia boxes could be stacked into 2 x 10.7tf, if needed.

That might be based on the rumors that stadia runs on the radeon pro v340, which is a datacenter dual vega 56 based card with lower TDP. And I don't believe it was said it was limited to JUST 2 cards per instance.

Last edited:

Lagspike_exe

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Vega/radeon is to remain as top dog in 2019 but when vega20 comes next year, I expect that to be at the top of AMD's gpu line up. Had no idea navi was made specifically with console APUs in mind. Is that based on the rumor sony helped amd with navi development?

That might be based on the rumors that stadia runs on the radeon pro v340, which is a datacenter dual vega 56 based card with lower TDP. And I don't believe it was said it was limited to JUST 2 cards per instance.

Huh? Vega 20 is Radeon VII. It's out already. It'll remain the flagship because:
1) All signs point to Navi being less compute heavy so Vega comes out on top in compute heavy tasks (like video editing).
2) It has 16GB of RAM.
3) First Navi chips are clearly mid range.

Status
Not open for further replies.