• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
All software has to run at some point at hardware level. A simple while loop is using hardware features. But that's not what the term should mean.

Before the PS5 reveal, when people were saying 'hardware RT', they were mostly talking about dedicated silicon to accelerate RT like the hardware present in the latest Nvidia RTX GPUs.

After the PS5 mini reveal + latest reddit leak + naughty dog now deleted tweet, suddenly the term 'hardware RT' is being used instead of software RT as a marketing tool in order to make people believe that DirectX RT will be exactly the equivalent of Nvidia Ray tracing hardware.

The marketing strategy in play is so obvious.
H/w RT is h/w RT no matter if it's running on RT cores (h/w) or SIMD cores (also h/w). The only way an RT can be considered "s/w" right now is if it's running on a CPU as a custom x86/x64 code. The fact that Turing multiprocessors are optimized for RT even without RT cores should probably say something to people.

But then I don't really expect next gen consoles to provide enough performance for real RT (i.e. path tracing even in limited forms) to be widely used in actual games. SDFs will be used way more probably, voxels will get more interesting implementations too. But RT won't run fast enough on ~10 TFLOPs GPUs to be usable, even if the wonder will happen and one of two vendors will in fact provide h/w for partial RT pipeline acceleration (like those RT cores of Turing).

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Ha...it's taken over two weeks to catch up on all the news/leaks and drama in this thread. It's all brilliant.

I'm going Team 12TF. I'm convinced PlayStation 5 will be in the >11TF but <13TF range.

I trust Jason Schreier most - "Sony and Microsoft are aiming higher than that "10.7 teraflops" number that Google threw out" pre-fixed with "The only thing to know for sure". To me that's absolute, so both platform holders are pushing beyond Stadia to be the most powerful within the constraints of current technology.

With that in mind I think it's reasonable to suggest the power difference will be closer than the majority thinks i.e. if PlayStation 5 comes in at around 11TF, I doubt Anaconda would push much past 12TF. Regardless, I'd suggest an insignificant bump that reads better on paper doesn't generally show how serviceable it is in games. It'll be an academic sticking point which means Phil was right all along, even if it's not entirely practical to the common man.

In consideration, even with sound reasoning, Albert Penello's £399 ~8TF PlayStation 5 box seems to be under-powered as a premium console device and maybe a little too...cheap? It's a stunning price-point platform holders would love to have for their 'full pelt' consoles but I expect PlayStation 5 and Anaconda to be at the very least £449 but most probably play around the £499 price-point. Maybe a little variation depending on how much each company want's to subsidise market impetus.

It's hard to neglect Mark Cerny's comments from the Wired interviewers Tweet stating Mark as saying "I believe that we will be able to release it at an SRP [suggested retail price] that will be appealing to gamers in light of its advanced feature set.". Curiously, Mark Cerny's interview was specifically geared around hardware. As such I think the admission of Ray-Tracing capabilities would be associated to hardware. That doesn't sound like a cheaper alternative console to me.

No matter the price I can't see either of them being stuck on shelves for at least a few months after launch. Enthusiasts, like me, will lap them up for months.

The only hurdle which could throw predictions wildly out is AdoreTV's new video tomorrow. Some bad news for Navi products but, depending on the issues, maybe Sony have been able to overcome any shortfall to a small degree so it'll remain in the power-band I hope for.

Fingers crossed.

Bojanglez

Oct 27, 2017
gotcha. I've always thought it would be funny if cerny was in this thread on some random account posting actual ps5 specs and people just skipping past thinking its just baseless speculation.
Haha, learning from his friend Kojima, hiding in plain sight. I think he may have 2 accounts, both arguing with each other to fan the flames, it's all part of the marketing strategy.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said before, the RT hardware solution must be the Sony intervention in the whole process, hence why it took them 4 years to conceive the PS5. If we believe the rumors and leaks posted here, Anaconda will have software RT unlike PS5. This corroborates that the RT hardware part is developed by Sony with the collaboration of AMD. Like I said this before, Sony won't stand still twidling thumbs without doing anything or adding extras, they are hardware manufacturer after all.

Being a hardware manufacturer means very little and by every definition MS is too a hardware manufacturer. Neither Sony or MS have been twiddling their thumbs but that doesn't mean they can make up for the huge amount of investment Nvidia made in both time and money for their RTX technology.

Like I said anything is possible but right now there is no good reason to believe one company will have the advantage in RT technology over the other.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
H/w RT is h/w RT no matter if it's running on RT cores (h/w) or SIMD cores (also h/w). The only way an RT can be considered "s/w" right now is if it's running on a CPU as a custom x86/x64 code. The fact that Turing multiprocessors are optimized for RT even without RT cores should probably say something to people.

But then I don't really expect next gen consoles to provide enough performance for real RT (i.e. path tracing even in limited forms) to be widely used in actual games. SDFs will be used way more probably, voxels will get more interesting implementations too. But RT won't run fast enough on ~10 TFLOPs GPUs to be usable, even if the wonder will happen and one of two vendors will in fact provide h/w for partial RT pipeline acceleration (like those RT cores of Turing).
I think most of the people continue to repeat the mistake to think the RT on ps5 hardware will be "full" or completely real time without consider a smart approach, which uses a mix of prebake combinations and/or a substantial approximation of the RT calculation involved. Anyway whatever is it possible with a "creative" approach like the CBR vs native res seen on the pro hardware.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
HALO Infinite is going to be amazing on Anaconda.
I can't wait for it. I do however hope that the Xbox one versions is a separate build of the game. Something like titanfall on Xbox 360, or forza horizon 2 360. I don't want to see those jaguar's hold back the games potential.

Skybox labs is helping a lot with development. Hopefully this is their task. Klobrille had the same idea as me on this.

Sunlight

Apr 22, 2019
Based on current info I still can't see which one is more likely to be the most powerful console. Are there any things that can prove PS5 or xbox to be more powerful? Not just some wishes.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
No ones going to know anything till MS E3 press conference. Even then they might not reveal the full specs.

No. There's no official specs for either.

All we have is Cerny/Sony talking about a just a few specs for PS5 and Microsoft chiming in that theirs will be more powerful.
When exactly did MS officially chime in and say theirs would be more powerful?

I think most of the people continue to repeat the mistake to think the RT on ps5 hardware will be "full" or real time without consider a sort of tricky approach which uses a mix of prebake combinations and/or a substantial approximation of the RT calculation. Anyway whatever is it possible with a "creative" alternative like the CBR vs native res seen on the pro hardware.
All we know is there is hardware based RT in ps5. Downplaying or uplaying what that might look like or how complicated is just tales from our ass right now.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Being a hardware manufacturer means very little and by every definition MS is too a hardware manufacturer. Neither Sony or MS have been twiddling their thumbs but that doesn't mean they can make up for the huge amount of investment Nvidia made in both time and money for their RTX technology.

Like I said anything is possible but right now there is no good reason to believe one company will have the advantage in RT technology over the other.

Dunno if serious at all. Sony is not just a PlayStation maker but makes many different electronic devices with different new technologies and were pioneers in history: walkman, betamax, co-created Bluray, co-created the CELL processor who wasn't just the core of PS3 but also the core of Blue Gene and Road Runner the strongest macro computers in the world. And you think they will falter or get overwhelmed to create a HW RT solution? Seriously?

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
No ones going to know anything till MS E3 press conference. Even then they might not reveal the full specs.

There is no strategic advantage to revealing their full specs, so it's highly unlikely to happen. If anything it'll be a vague overview like what Sony provided in the Wired article.

Also they have stated that being the most powerful is their aim but I don't think they ever gave a guarantee.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if serious at all. Sony is not just a PlayStation maker but makes many different electronic devices with different new technologies and were pioneers in history: walkman, betamax, co-created Bluray, co-created the CELL processor who wasn't just the core of PS3 but also the core of Blue Gene and Road Runner the strongest macro computers in the world. And you think they will falter or get overwhelmed to create a HW RT solution? Seriously?

I'm entirely serious. Also not sure why there was a need to go through Sony's hardware history, I never said they didn't deal in hardware. It's just not as relevant when entirely custom game consoles is a thing of the past.

You're reading or hoping too much into absolutely nothing.

Edit: also like I said before anything is possible, I'm trying to be realistic.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

All we know is there is hardware based RT in ps5. Downplaying or uplaying what that might look like or how complicated is just tales from our ass right now.
Please avoid to mark my words tales from my ass when simply I claimed the obvious. No way ps5 will offer a RT solution remotely comparable to RTX on Nvidia. They can't have enough raw power in the hardware. The only reasonable thing to expect by them is a substantial approximation of the RT tech.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
The ESRAM wasn't even about the 8GB it was about DDr3 ram, no matter what they knew thier memory bandwidth was going to be limited to around 50GB/s as long as they were using DDR3 so they had the brilliant idea... and it was brilliant to use ESRAM to boost that bandwidth speed.
They'd already used the same brilliant idea in the 360, which arguably they copied from the PS2 GS.

(360 and PS2 also had optional hard drives)

Feb 10, 2018
This won't happen, but ms makes windows, the ps5 specs and details will be on multiple windows computers, and you know "don't be evil" and all.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I think most of the people continue to repeat the mistake to think the RT on ps5 hardware will be "full" or completely real time without consider a smart approach, which uses a mix of prebake combinations and/or a substantial approximation of the RT calculation involved. Anyway whatever is it possible with a "creative" approach like the CBR vs native res seen on the pro hardware.
"Smart" approach involving prebaking of anything would not be real RT either. And current h/w RT acceleration on Turings is pretty "smart" - I don't know why people think that AMD (or Sony even for some reason) would somehow be better at developing RT capable GPU h/w than NV.

What we have right now are words of Cerny that PS5 will support RT. Well, doh, PS4 "support" RT so why PS5 woudn't? The question is not in whether RT will be supported or not, it's in at what levels of performance.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
"Smart" approach involving prebaking of anything would not be real RT either. And current h/w RT acceleration on Turings is pretty "smart" - I don't know why people think that AMD (or Sony even for some reason) would somehow be better at developing RT capable GPU h/w than NV.

What we have right now are words of Cerny that PS5 will support RT. Well, doh, PS4 "support" RT so why PS5 woudn't? The question is not in whether RT will be supported or not, it's in at what levels of performance.
Don't know ps4 support RT. Where come from? By the way.
I don't understand why to be so obsessed to the real terminology of the words. Offer RT doesn't means it will be whole RT in the true term or whatever. For now we don't know what will be. But if in the end will be revealed to not to be a true RT (highly probable) and just a "sort of" which tries to imitate the final result why it can't be considered as an alternative RT approach? And why Sony and amd can't delivers such stuff? I never implied amd and Sony are smarter of Nvidia but maybe both prioritize the "simpler final result" over the true RT target by Nvidia ?

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
This won't happen, but ms makes windows, the ps5 specs and details will be on multiple windows computers, and you know "don't be evil" and all.

They don't even have to go that far. MS is a 3rd party developer with Minecraft, they could always request PS5 dev kits for bringing Minecraft along to the next gen in something other than BC.

Feb 10, 2018
They don't even have to go that far. MS is a 3rd party developer with Minecraft, they could always request PS5 dev kits for bringing Minecraft along to the next gen in something other than BC.

I wonder how that will be handled.
I mean minecraft is pretty big for PlayStation.
Sony will probably give mahjong devkits like a year from release.

Jan 21, 2019
They are going to push this as much as possible. In the end its the games that do the talking as Sony has showed. Yes MS acquired new studios but until these studios can deliver it will be all talk.

Yeah, it seems they are pushing very hard on power to have a positive halo effect on lockhart. Now imagine Sony being stronger. What would MS have then. I hope their studios create cool game but at this point we don't know if they are capable of of making games that turn heads like God of War or Spiderman.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018

You think that would work? lmao. Not that they need a reason to say no, but they could just put them in a perpetual "waiting" cue.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017

This.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Based on current info I still can't see which one is more likely to be the most powerful console. Are there any things that can prove PS5 or xbox to be more powerful? Not just some wishes.
Based on the info we have (MS' internal strategy and 2 SKU approach) Anaconda seems most likely to be more powerful.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, I would assume 4J will keep up work on the PS4 version but if Sony is going to allow the Bedrock Edition on PS4/PS5, it would mean the team working on that version would need PS4/PS5 devkits to bring it over, also they would have to allow crossplay.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
That is false. The first Playstation launched a month after the Saturn and was a more balanced and, ultimately a much better performing console for 3D games. The PS2 was the most powerfl machine when it came out...The Xbox and GC arrived more than a year and a half later...
This was explained in the post you responded to. You just swept it under the rug and went for the PS4 got lucky mantra...
I've already explained it, I'm not going to do it for the third time every time a Sony fanboy misquotes me.

DrKeo

Banned
Mar 3, 2019
Israel
User Warned: System Warring
Soo, anybody who disagrees with you is a fanboy?
I'm just guessing that whoever ignores what I've already said so he can respond with "This was explained in the post you responded to. You just swept it under the rug and went for the PS4 got lucky mantra..." got to have some kind of an agenda

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
I'm just guessing that whoever ignores what I've already said so he can respond with "This was explained in the post you responded to. You just swept it under the rug and went for the PS4 got lucky mantra..." got to have some kind of an agenda

The only agenda is injecting some dose of reality into some delusional narratives here. And yes, saying that Sony produced a better console because they got lucky is the trademark of someone who should avoid labelling anybody else a fanboy.

Pheonix

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
St Kitts
If dev kits for both platforms are in the hands of third-party devs..... I can assure you that both Sony and MS now know exactly what each others specs are. All the secrecy is only useful when you are over 18 months from launch but once they are this close both Sony and MS cannot make any major changes to their hardware anymore. They may tinker with clocks and RAMbut that's pretty much it.

Status
Not open for further replies.