• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Overall maximum teraflops for next-gen launch consoles?

• 8 teraflops

Votes: 43 1.9%
  • 9 teraflops

Votes: 56 2.4%
  • 12 teraflops

Votes: 978 42.5%
  • 14 teraflops

Votes: 525 22.8%
  • Team ALL THE WAY UP +14 teraflops

Votes: 491 21.3%
  • 10 teraflops (because for some reason I put 9 instead of 10)

Votes: 208 9.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
And it would partially come from a misunderstanding. MS only stated that they intend to have the strongest console on the market.

I can already see Era burning down...

Even if anaconda is more powerful - how big does the difference have to be to not be disappointing to those that are conflating MS comments with anaconda being a monster.

Eg ps5 11TF, XB2 12TF. Technically ms are more powerful, but not really enough for any kind of 'win' andmsurely disappointing for many Xbox fans?

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's tricky. If they go for a big ap (because anaconda is expensive)l then potentially ps5 becomes the 'but for only $100 more you get this' rather than ms' own machine. And if anaconda isn't priced to take the performance crown at the expense of volume (trying to be a halo brand - no pun intended) then they risk being seen as a 1080p company if Lockhart is the volume seller.
I cant see a version of the ps5 thats 399, unless it has a rather weak gpu, say 8 tps? given what we know, everything points too a 499 box.

one

Nov 30, 2017
honestly given the next xbox (both versions) are very likely to have rt hardware, they should make a path traced version of minecraft, not just the mod df looked at. it would be one hell of a mision statment from ms.
Is there anything that suggests Lockhart have RT except for the RCC thing on the paper scribble?

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
I couldnt get passed the "ryzen cpu that supports ray tracing" the auther doesnt know wtf he is talking about. raytracing is a gpu thing. we arent talking about video rendering.

Just a thought, but couldn't they use the APUs GPU specifically for RT and connect it to a more powerful GPU for regular rasterization workloads? I still don't understand how they accelerate raytracing on the hardware and how it works with hybrid rendering, so sorry for the stupid questions!

Oct 29, 2017
User Warned: Instigating system wars
The way I'm seeing it is that if the Anaconda is more powerful it won't matter Sony's first party games will make Anaconda look more like a garden snake....

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
I cant see a version of the ps5 thats 399, unless it has a rather weak gpu, say 8 tps? given what we know, everything points too a 499 box.
But if Lockhart also has a SSD, Raytracing support and Zen2 CPU, is a $299 Box even possible? I'm not an Hardware expert, but can GPU alone really make $200 difference?

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a thought, but couldn't they use the APUs GPU specifically for RT and connect it to a more powerful GPU for regular rasterization workloads? I still don't understand how they accelerate raytracing on the hardware and how it works with hybrid rendering, so sorry for the stupid questions!
its having a part of the gpu that has part of the math needed to do raytracing made of logic gate, aka in hardware, it lets it do the math way faster than a genral gpu could, but it will take up space on the chip.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The expectation of MS having the most powerful console is a combination of Phil's words from last E3, history of MS having the most powerful console and not being scared to market that fact, their last console, the XBX, being noticeably more powerful than the PS4 Pro, and the general notion that The Xbox One not at least matching the PS4 in power was a mistake that Phil's not keen to repeat.

Sony, in contrast, don't have a history of having the most powerful console on the market. This generation is an anomaly in that regard. So the notion that the PS5 may come in weaker that the next Xbox wouldn't be all that shocking to most people.

What history?

Xb1 wasn't more powerful than PS4; 360 was probably on par with PS3 but easier to tap that power so appeared stronger at start of the gen.

OG Xbox was the only one clearly stronger but released 18 months after ps2 originally launched in japan.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But if Lockhart also has a SSD, Raytracing support and Zen2 CPU, is a $299 Box even possible? I'm not an Hardware expert, but can GPU alone really make $200 difference?
its not the gpu alone, its a ssd, instead of mvne drive, its less ram, likely lower bandwith ram too, less power supply, less expensive cooling, smaller case. a weaker gpu, lets them cut back on other stuff too.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It would be kind of foolish to under estimate Microsoft after they've acquired all these studios.

MS need to prove it. Their first party output has been pretty bad this gen, and they have a history of front loading FP support then ramping down. They need to support through the entire generation and have a broader range of content outside of forza/gears/halo.

The acquisitions are a good sign but now they need to deliver.

Sony arguably gets the benefit of the doubt for FP PS5 support due to their clear support through both PS3 and PS4 generations

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What history?

Xb1 wasn't more powerful than PS4; 360 was probably on par with PS3 but easier to tap that power so appeared stronger at start of the gen.

OG Xbox was the only one clearly stronger but released 18 months after ps2 originally launched in japan.
no the 360 was objectively stronger, the ps3 wasnt just hard to work with, it was weaker too Df talked about it when thney did the ps3 press reveal retro video.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i highly doubt the 299 for that reason.for god sake they just released a 6 year old console with 1.3 TF and no UHD for 249. how are they gonna fit all those for 299 in a year?

Dec 31, 2017
What history?

You are right imo, although I believe that MS' hardware team is much better now than it used to be. I'm expecting great things from both teams honestly, although I do think MS' Anaconda will be stronger, but only because I think it will cost a bit more, but that'll be mitigated some by their other, cheaper model. Unless they eat up the cost at the start to match Sony's price. Looking at the S and X model though, I do think they'll have a better looking, and quieter console compared to Sony.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes I think so, I think they will both take similar losses.

I think it's interesting that people are assuming Sony will be wiling to take a big loss due, but not really mentioning MS doing the same. I know in the past people claim daddy MS can open their wallet to take a big loss but that isn't realistic as the games division has to cover its own profit/loss etc.

But I think Phil has hit a nice spot now with xCloud. The streaming offering is central to MS core services and an area where Nadella is competing. Generates synergy (sorry) with azure data centres and selling out compute capacity to enterprise; competes with google as they roll out stadia.

This time around I can actually see Nadella opening the wallet to back up Phil and try to ensure ms succeeds.

That could mean acquiring studios like they have already done, or creating more first party software. But it could also mean accepting larger losses on hardware to gain market share.

Flipside of that is if they aren't too worried about hardware because they're betting on streaming which might focus their funds on software to drive users in big streaming and hardware sides.

Kendall

Banned
Apr 22, 2019
MS need to prove it. Their first party output has been pretty bad this gen, and they have a history of front loading FP support then ramping down. They need to support through the entire generation and have a broader range of content outside of forza/gears/halo.

The acquisitions are a good sign but now they need to deliver.

Sony arguably gets the benefit of the doubt for FP PS5 support due to their clear support through both PS3 and PS4 generations
I actually thought Microsoft was pretty rad this generation. I skipped out on the Playstation 4 this generation. I had major fatigue with Uncharted, Little Big Planet, inFamous after the PS3 and Vita.

obsidian and ninja theory are gonna make some really cool stuff.

Dec 31, 2017
i highly doubt the 299 for that reason.for god sake they just released a 6 year old console with 1.3 TF and no UHD for 249. how are they gonna fit all those for 299 in a year?
IMO it'll look like this:

Lockhart : 350$
PS5: 450$
Anaconda: 500$

Which is why it'll be slightly better than PS5, but Lockhart will have that 100-150$ difference so that it can tempt people into jumping in earlier at a much cheaper price. Unless MS eats up the cost a little bit and that Lockhart ends up at 300$, making up for it with Anaconda, and PS5 being 400$ out of the gate.

Petran

Oct 29, 2017
The way I'm seeing it is that if the Anaconda is more powerful it won't matter Sony's first party games will make Anaconda look more like a garden snake....
Hardware power is the constant factor in a closed box. software is the factor that is more dynamic.
Last cosole launch, I dont think people were pissed because they couldnt play Resogun on their xboxes... they were pissed more because their call of duties, their assassin's creeds and their battlefields played in worse fidelity.

photogazuk

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Microsoft don't want to lose the power race next gen, so I feel their system will have a lot of punch.

For me, 60fps is my preference at 4k upscaled, native would be nice but fluidity is more important.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
if there is a 299 next gen console , most of you will be disappointed with the spec.

it will be 399 and things will get really interesting if sony match the price with higher spec.

if its 299 then it will be evolution of xb1x for streaming

Feb 10, 2018
if there is a 299 next gen console , most of you will be disappointed with the spec.

it will be 399 and things will get really interesting if sony match the price with higher spec.

if its 299 then it will be evolution of xb1x for streaming

It will be pretty amazing to be able to play cyberpunk 2077 at high/max settings at 60fps 1080p for $299

Or fable 4, bleeding edge, forza 8 etc.

And BC enhanced games could run at 4k 60fps on lockhart.
Pretty great for $299

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It will be pretty amazing to be able to play cyberpunk 2077 at high/max settings at 60fps 1080p for $299

Or fable 4, bleeding edge, forza 8 etc.

And BC enhanced games could run at 4k 60fps on lockhart.
Pretty great for $299
assumptions are great yes. it wont be long before it turns into 720 P machine in 2022 with next gen engines and there is nothing MS can do about that. you guys keep using 4tf with this gen engine requirements. next gen games are more demanding.

Thats why 4TF is non sense . it will be 6 to 8 TF

Feb 10, 2018
assumptions are great yes. it wont be long before it turns into 720 P machine in 2022 with next gen engines and there is nothing MS can do about that. you guys keep using 4tf with this gen engine requirements. next gen games are more demanding.

Yes I agree, if they want it to ensure 1080p throughout the gen, the gpu will need to be more will need to be more caperble of to doing 1080p of 4k launch exclusives.
If Ana is 12tflop, 5.5tflops would ensure 1080p.

But Microsoft will know this, they will know a 4k Ana game is going to be different to a 1440p Ana game.

Bottom line is a 1080p next gen console can work and is a good idea.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Yes I agree, if they want it to ensure 1080p throughout the gen, the gpu will need to be more will need to be more caperble of to doing 1080p of 4k launch exclusives.

But Microsoft will know this, they will know a 4k Ana game is going to be different to a 1440p Ana game.

1080p is good but you won't get your desire 1080p box at 299 .

even if ms want to take hit , they will do for anaconda instead of lockhart.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

its a an idea .whether good or bad or how 3rd parties handle it is another matter which we will see after 4 5 years.price is also very impotrant .399 and 1080P console is a flop but 299 and u r talking.

but yea 5.5 TF is safer. What if a dev has a demanding game and anaconda can only run it 1440P or 1800P ? u cant force dev to a resolution on a device .thast where some issues might arise

Feb 10, 2018
its a an idea .whether good or bad or how 3rd parties handle it is another matter which we will see after 4 5 years.

but yea 5.5 TF is safer. What if a dev has a demanding game and anaconda can only run it 1440P or 1800P ? u cant force dev to a resolution on a device .thast where some issues might arise

Yes 1080p should be possible on lockhart with a 1440p 12tflop Ana game with a 5.5tflop gpu.

We will see.
I think it will be fine.

NHale

Oct 25, 2017
It would be kind of foolish to under estimate Microsoft after they've acquired all these studios.

The problem is that they don't have anything to show for that studio acquisitions yet. People (outside of small places like this and Reddit communities) don't buy $500/€500 products based on hopes and dreams of what the shiny future might bring. You know the huge majority of people that make a console sell 100M+ instead of 30M+. They buy them because they want to play the next GTA, FIFA, NBA 2K, Mario Kart, Zelda, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Spiderman or Halo. That's why it's important that Sony keeps releasing games every single year even during the final years unlike Microsoft's last 2 generations because it makes the general audience think about the present instead of keep dreaming about a future that might or might not happen.

Then you have to add the new X factor into this transition: digital purchases accounts. You can't trade them in retail stores when you transition into a next gen and we know people that buy digital games are increasing YoY. So it's going to be even more difficult to have people "change sides" in this transition because they have to leave their purchases behind. It's like digital purchases are almost a lifetime subscription to a brand nowadays. That's why Sony are embracing backwards compatibility in this transition, they don't really care about what the consumer want (no company does, they do only if their needs match what consumer want...). They just know this is a big chip to make people stay within their ecosystem because they can still play GTA V, RDR2, Overwatch, R6 Siege, Destiny 2 online in their new shiny box without losing progress or spending extra cash. Of course some people will not care about this because they already don't especially over here, but the mainstream market are not going to change "sides" and lose their progression/money for a extra P's or fps (unless the difference is quite massive like day and night massive...)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2019
I wonder... when Cerny did his rounds with the various dev studios to get their wish lists, I wonder what was at the top of Kojima's list.

I suppose another way of trying to analyze all this is, what would devs have wished for the most? We already know about the SSD, but anything else? I have to imagine whatever they wished for has a decent chance of appearing on the PS5.
SSD and a good processor was probably the biggest request. A GPU jump is guaranteed, no need for wishes there. Maybe the asked for a specific amount of ram but with the insane nvme 4 speeds, I don't think ram is a big concern anymore.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The problem is that they don't have anything to show for that studio acquisitions yet. People (outside of small places like this and Reddit communities) don't buy $500/€500 products based on hopes and dreams of what the shiny future might bring. You know the huge majority of people that make a console sell 100M+ instead of 30M+. They buy them because they want to play the next GTA, FIFA, NBA 2K, Mario Kart, Zelda, Uncharted, Horizon, God of War, Spiderman or Halo. That's why it's important that Sony keeps releasing games every single year even during the final years unlike Microsoft's last 2 generations because it makes the general audience think about the present instead of keep dreaming about a future that might or might not happen.

Then you have to add the new X factor into this transition: digital purchases accounts. You can't trade them in retail stores when you transition into a next gen and we know people that buy digital games are increasing YoY. So it's going to be even more difficult to have people "change sides" in this transition because they have to leave their purchases behind. It's like digital purchases are almost a lifetime subscription to a brand nowadays. That's why Sony are embracing backwards compatibility in this transition, they don't really care about what the consumer want (no company does, they do only if their needs match what consumer want...). They just know this is a big chip to make people stay within their ecosystem because they can still play GTA V. RDR2, Overwatch, R6 Siege, Destiny 2 online in their new shiny box without losing problem or spending extra cash. Of course some people will not care about this because they already don't especially over here, but the mainstream market are not going to change "sides" and lose their progression/money for a extra P's or fps (unless the difference is quite massive like day and night massive...)
lol thats exactly where i am

I had PS1, then xbox then x360 then ps3(2011 i realized i didn't like where MS was going so i switched) then ps4.

issue is that i bought 75% of my library digital and i play many of them still and the thought of leaving them behind is a no no unless microsoft console has twice the power and their exclusives are more like original xbox era or early X360 era. unfortunately with digital games it has become very hard to just jump ship like i used to do

Last edited:

itchi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That didn't happen this generation though. In general, resolutions have gone up, not down.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Even ifx anaconda will be more powerful than ps5 I doubt the difference will be as big as ps4 and x1 and for sure less than xonex ps pro. I thini sony tartegttinf 499$ machine without compromises, not much room for improvement on 7nm for microsort

BitsandBytes

Dec 16, 2017
Jan 21, 2019
no the 360 was objectively stronger, the ps3 wasnt just hard to work with, it was weaker too Df talked about it when thney did the ps3 press reveal retro video.
Yeah it's insane. Imagine if Sony would repeat that. A AMD based console for 600 and then 300 dollar loss per unit. That thing would be a monster. Imagine any of these companies making a 900 dollar console with tech that can be easily worked with.

It's really a shame that the price of the PS3 did not show except for a few titles.

JackLinks

Banned
Mar 21, 2019
Microsoft needs a jump on Sony. They need to sell in big numbers fast

A weaker 1080p focused sku would allow them to do that, and (unlike the xbox one) would be getting new games

If theu can also demonstrate improved japanese support and bring out some big first party at launch they'll do damn good

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I could totaly see a world where ms thought to ask amd 4 years ago to build hardware to handle rt, and sony didnt think of it.
That's not how it works with AMD's semicustom business. For some reason people keep thinking that MS and Sony ask AMD to build something while in fact they simply choose from what is or should be available by the time their next product will arrive. So the only option for one to have RT h/w and for the other not to is for one to specifically exclude said h/w from their APU - despite it being available for inclusion. Why would a gaming console vendor exclude available RT h/w from their next GPU though? The only reason I can think of would be if this h/w is crap and will be useless in real world scenarios.

Can ssd be used like RAM?
Not unless it's Intel's Optane SSD - and I doubt that it's that. It can be used as a somewhat fast HDD/BD cache though. AMD's HBCC is capable of making use of SSDs connected to GPUs in such a way.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The Xbox 4 launches this year. Halo Infinite and Forza are launch titles. All coming games are ported to it but it doesn't get any true next gen games until after the PS5 releases.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Xbox 4 launches this year. Halo Infinite and Forza are launch titles. All coming games are ported to it but it doesn't get any true next gen games until after the PS5 releases.
thast great except navi APU are not ready till mid 2020 .unless its using vega which is a distatser of a GPU .power hungry and mediocre performance for the price

Status
Not open for further replies.