• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Extraction has come out on top of the first ranking of original movies released by Netflix, with a company-reported 99 million viewers in its first four weeks on the streaming service.

(...)

Netflix releases only select viewership data, emphasizing titles that perform well. Nielsen offers its own reports on Netflix viewing, but only in the U.S. The company has ramped up its original movie efforts significantly over the past couple of years, exploring a range of verticals, including animation. Its global reach and local production operations have helped it diversify its offerings and continue operating even during COVID-19 shutdowns.

Full list:

Extraction 99M

Bird Box 89M

Spenser Confidential 85M

6 Underground 83M

Murder Mystery 73M

The Irishman 64M

Triple Frontier 63M

The Wrong Missy 59M

The Platform 56M

The Perfect Date 48M

deadline.com

Netflix Releases All-Time Top 10 Original Movie List, Headed By ‘Extraction’

"Extraction" is the top original movie ever released by Netflix, with a company-reported 99 million viewers in its first four weeks.

Keep in mind that this is calculated with their new metric where watching a movie for two minutes counts as a view.

Not too many surprises but I expected the Sandler movies to pull more.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
lol bird box. Some real shitty movies there, Triple Frontier, 6 Underground, etc etc

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Star power seems to really make a difference for some of these. Many of them are really rather mediocre but have high quality stars in them (Hemsworth, Bullock, Reynolds etc.), they really pull in the numbers.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been subscribed for years and never seen any of these.

Same. I also see 70+ movies every year. I'm not really into action movies, though, or "so bad they're good" movies so that's most of the list. I'm most surprised To All the Boys I Loved Before isn't on there. I thought that was a massive hit.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Didn't they change the criteria for having watched a piece of content, isn't it some ridiculous number like a minute or two?

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ugh, Spenser Confidential was such dogshit. Also I love Iliza Shlesinger, but every time she was on screen I cringed so hard it was almost audible. That accent work. Yuck.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Netflix movies are some of the most bland, boring films I've ever seen. Just a couple days ago I saw the Old Guard and my lord it was so mediocre

purg3

Oct 25, 2017
Actually surprised The Platform made it in the Top 10. And I dug Extraction. Well shot action movie. Doesn't bring anything special or new to the table, but I was entertained for the most part.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
My Netflix hasn't lapsed in well over a decade and the only ones I've bothered watching are The Irishman and The Platform.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Even looking at the numbers, Bird Box is still the most hyped up one. I don't think I could go a day without seeing some stupid meme that first couple weeks that movie released.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Im happy Extraction is #1 because the setting/characters are often times never represented in Hollywood.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Seen 6 of those movies. Surprised at the Wahlberg movie was so popular?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Wow almost every single one a bad movie. Irishman was okay. Too long though.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I can never guess what these lists will include and in what order. So many mediocre films end up being runaway hits for them.

I didn't hear anyone talk about Spenser Confidential. And The Wrong Missy looked like, well, a David Spade film...

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Wait, Bright isnt even on the list? Damn, I didn't think it was great but didn't think it deserved to flop that hard. Suprrised they're making a sequel.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've seen about half of them. I really enjoyed Triple Frontier and don't think it gets enough love. Bird Box...meh. Extrication was solid, not perfect, but it had some of the best action scenes I've seen in a movie besides John Wick.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen 3.1 of these.
I started Extraction and turned it off within 10 minutes.
Otherwise Bird Box, The Irishman, & The Platform.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I've had a netflix sub for a decade and I think I've watched only one of thesee, The Irishman. I haven't even heard of most of the others.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Land of the Giants podcast doing episodes on Netflix is pretty eye opening of just how much they can flex on viewers and spark some social movement to watch even the most mediocre shows

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I'm kind of amazed that Extraction had over 30M more viewers than The Irishman.