• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand people acting like who the parents support in the primaries doesn't matter. Of course we want them to back whoever the D is in the general, but the primaries are when we really get to make our voices heard. Of course it matters who they support. Even though I don't think Bloomberg has a shot in hell of being the nom.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand people acting like who the parents support in the primaries doesn't matter. Of course we want them to back whoever the D is in the general, but the primaries are when we really get to make our voices heard. Of course it matters who they support. Even though I don't think Bloomberg has a shot in hell of being the nom.

Lots of people in this thread seem to think people are stupid and will react to you trying to tell them their candidates suck by revolting and voting for Trump.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I had an OK boomer moment today too. I live next to an old peoples home. I returned from a long walk with my dog and from 1-2 streets away I could hear a car engine. Turning around the corner I could see all the fumes. There is a car parking in the parking lot of the old peoples home, just an ordinary car.

In disbelief I walked to our house and took the empty bag that I had left at the door knob. The engine still running. 3 minutes had passed for sure, and who knows for how long it had been parked like that! So I decided to check on it, maybe something hapoened. I walked back and looked knto the car from the driveway entry. Nobody sitting in it. Just an empty, fuming, running car.

I couldnt believe it. I walked to our fence and checked from there if I could see anybody. Car running another 3 minutes. That's when I see someone just sneaked inside. I walk to the front again, wait 1-2 minutes when a man around 50-60 years old leaves the house carrying a TV packaging, walking to the car.

I yell at him that he's not allowed to leave the car running like that and that I gotta live with the consequences way longer than he has. He just ignores me like the asshole he is.

what's wrong with people?!

Oct 26, 2017
Dude, they're voting Democrat. Who cares who they vote for in the primary so long as they vote D in the actual election?

Don't waste all your time telling them how bad their candidate is and have them end up voting for Trump.

I mean, the candidates matter just as much as the need to vote for a party. Otherwise, Hillary would have won in 2016. Put Sanders in, and I strongly believe the whole Trump crap would have been avoided.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you can't even deal with your parents supporting a different Democratic candidate you might want to avoid discussing politics with anybody ever.
Pretty much this. You really gotta be less Era than that, OP.

It also sounds like you might be the one who doesn't know anything about politics, not your parents.
I had an OK boomer moment today too...
Read this twice before I realized this was brilliant mockery and not clueless OP 2.0.

Last edited:

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this. You really gotta be less Era than that, OP.

It also sounds like you might be the one who doesn't know anything about politics, not your parents.

Read this twice before I realized this was brilliant mockery and not clueless OP 2.0.
your reading skill check must have been 80% or better because I just mouthed "Ok Zoomer" and got into my car and drove off.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao of course the people criticizing the OP for feeling such a disconnect with their family would also be the same people to jump straight to claiming the primaries don't matter

shit sucks OP, sorry to hear it

Mar 3, 2019
I had an OK boomer moment today too. I live next to an old peoples home. I returned from a long walk with my dog and from 1-2 streets away I could hear a car engine. Turning around the corner I could see all the fumes. There is a car parking in the parking lot of the old peoples home, just an ordinary car.

In disbelief I walked to our house and took the empty bag that I had left at the door knob. The engine still running. 3 minutes had passed for sure, and who knows for how long it had been parked like that! So I decided to check on it, maybe something hapoened. I walked back and looked knto the car from the driveway entry. Nobody sitting in it. Just an empty, fuming, running car.

I couldnt believe it. I walked to our fence and checked from there if I could see anybody. Car running another 3 minutes. That's when I see someone just sneaked inside. I walk to the front again, wait 1-2 minutes when a man around 50-60 years old leaves the house carrying a TV packaging, walking to the car.

I yell at him that he's not allowed to leave the car running like that and that I gotta live with the consequences way longer than he has. He just ignores me like the asshole he is.

what's wrong with people?!

Uh is this a parody? You just come off as unnecessarily aggressive in this.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg would be better than Trump but anybody except Gabbard would be better than Bloomberg on the Democratic side. That being said, I'd vote for Bill Weld over Bloomberg. Weld would stop putting black kids in jail and Bloomberg can't get an orgasm unless a dozen black kids are sent to Rikers in a day.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Thats 1 if Bloomberg generates enough enthusiasm for 4 senate seats to flip

not true. The D president can do recess appointments.Obama avoided it cause he assumed the best in people. Supreme Court appointments is the one power a president have even if the party is a minority in one of the houses of Congress.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's called cognitive dissonance OP. I spent most of my life in a cult so I've done it myself. You just don't see how ridiculous it is when your brain it switched off and it's impossible to reason with people suffering from it. We just have to hope enough young people vote in the primary and election this year.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
not true. The D president can do recess appointments.Obama avoided it cause he assumed the best in people. Supreme Court appointments is the one power a president have even if the party is a minority in one of the houses of Congress.
Can it do so? and more importantly, can it do so without getting sued, dragged to the SC and then defeated by a conservative SC majority?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Incorrect

Is a recess appointment to the Court an option? (UPDATED) - SCOTUSblog

UPDATED Sunday 8:48 a.m. The Senate is currently in recess until February 22. The recess began on Friday. Whether this opens an opportunity for a recess appointment depends upon how Senate leaders interpret an adjournment resolution approved last Friday. That will determine whether it will meet

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
Why didn't you bring up Bloomberg's pervasive history of sexism? I mean, this singularly disqualified him when Obama was vetting potential VPs in 2007,

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
People have opposing views on politics... Even in family.

Learn to deal with it, or you'll spend the rest of your life upset at everyone.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Funnily enough, while I was home for the holiday, the only candidates I saw television adverts for were Bloomberg and Steyer.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone here actually like Bloomberg here or are you guys arguing just to argue?

Dude is easily the worst candidate in the race (except Gabbard I guess, though she doesn't matter).

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
My parents watch tons of CNN and MSNBC(my mom reads the CNN website a lot as well) and that's literally all they watch. Its like seeing a generational gap in real time, i could not be anymore different from them ideologically and they literally dont know anything about anything regarding politics or nuanced information despite having the experience and age.
This is basically my family but with Fox News. Boomers are extremely trapped in the TV news bubble and it'd practically be a full time job to pull them out of it. Just think the number of hours per day over the number of years that they have of TV news shaping their views.

It's honestly probably the biggest problem in our culture and politics, and by extension the biggest threat to the future of the world, given the stakes with climate change. I wish I had an answer to change it, but I don't other than to wait for most of the older generation to die and hope things aren't too fucked by then. No disrespect to the boomers that are good, but I'm sure they'd also agree they're extremely out numbered.

At least there are a ton of boomers whose TV poison of choice isn't the absolute worst of the worst with Fox News, but CNN, MSNBC, and broadcast news still aren't good enough.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Motherfucker endorsed Bush in 2004, and has been donating and fundraising for Republican candidates as recently as last year.

He spent a huge amount on getting dems elected to congress last year. Some districts probably wouldn't have flipped but for his contributions (OK-05 for instance).

That doesn't make this current vanity campaign any better, of course.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
putting kids out of their cells would be a good start, followed by telling dictators to fuck off instead of sucking their dicks.
His punitive stop-and-frisk policy doesn't bode well for the former, and this doesn't bode well for the latter:

but we could roll the dice and hope his slot machine politics land on something we like after he's elected.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's called cognitive dissonance OP. I spent most of my life in a cult so I've done it myself. You just don't see how ridiculous it is when your brain it switched off and it's impossible to reason with people suffering from it. We just have to hope enough young people vote in the primary and election this year.
I suppose younger people winning by numbers is an option, but even just looking at pure eligible voter numbers, 45+ have the clear advantage. You don't need to just match turnout ratios but exceed it. And they're so lockstep that we don't just need youth turnout but youth turnout voting 10-1 against people like Bloomberg and Biden. I don't think it's possible.

I don't think elections are everything either, but I think this problem translates to every form of movement activism imaginable.