• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
you also have to factor in that it was gone for two years and people probably didn't know it was back and/or removed it from their DVR list.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I am completely lost but loving it, that opening scene got an audible WHAT THE FUCK out of me

i couldn't even imagine what a gibbering insane mess I would be if they dropped all episodes at once and I stayed up all night watching Mr. Robot season 4

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Sidenote: Malek being in Bohemian Rhapsody has helped me introduce the show to new people who love it.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I watched 10 mins of S4E1 and I have no idea what's happening. I've forgotten everything. So now I'm watching S3... and I barely remember anything. So much depends on a red wheelbarrow happens in season 2.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Has Esmail cameo'd before or was this his first time? I forget.

Is there any legal way to view this without resorting to torrenting? I missed the episode last night and wanted to get caught up, but couldn't really find if it was available next day anywhere.

Also, hol-eeeee shit. What a ride. I was confused at the beginning for a bit thinking it was still in recap mode, then it drops the hammer. Fucking genius.

USA has a streaming service that you can log into using your cable credentials, either on their website or on an Apple TV /Xbox?/ etc.

It's what I did last night after every On Demand service failed to upload it within the next 24 hours.

Oh Hi Mark

Oct 29, 2017
Read the thread for some impressions before I watched the episode. Glad I was outta here before I saw any spoilers. Man what a ride

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
so, uh, where's Vera? he was post credits aftee season 3 and was walking to Elliot's place. plz not just a flashback

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Was that planned? Was she not available this season?
Reading Esmail's interview, it was them revisiting the end of Season 3 and asking "What now?", and they thought of ways...
they thought of ways Angela will fight, but the logical conclusion was that she is disposable, like everyone else. They tried ways to save her, but they found no method of doing so, and she was gone.

She may not be dead, it may all be a play for Whiterose as his eyes and ears are everywhere, so events could've been doctored to please Whiterose.

I still think/hope she's not dead, and that Darlene really did see her in some shelter, but Elliot insisting she's dead is either pleasing Whiterose's surveillance or he isn't bullshitting and she's dead and gone.

This photoshop of her death is still amateur-ish for a show of this calibre, so maybe it's meant to be fake? Who knows... This all seems like a trick to me.

WZXIcJZ.jpg

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Was that planned? Was she not available this season?
According to Esmail like most shows they write themselves into a corner and then figure out how to get out of it next year. But in Angela's case when the writers got back together they couldn't think of any valid non-contrived reason for her in her current state to hide or stand down or for White Rose to let her live after she's served her purpose.

This podcast Hollywood Reporter put out the night of the premiere goes into a lot of the thought process for the episode.

They also talk about how one of the other benefits of this decision is that it puts you in the position that you're almost rooting for the bad guy's plan to succeed.

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Reading Esmail's interview, it was them revisiting the end of Season 3 and asking "What now?", and they thought of ways...
they thought of ways Angela will fight, but the logical conclusion was that she is disposable, like everyone else. They tried ways to save her, but they found no method of doing so, and she was gone.

She may not be dead, it may all be a play for Whiterose as his eyes and ears are everywhere, so events could've been doctored to please Whiterose.

I still think/hope she's not dead, and that Darlene really did see her in some shelter, but Elliot insisting she's dead is either pleasing Whiterose's surveillance or he isn't bullshitting and she's dead and gone.

This photoshop of her death is still amateur-ish for a show of this calibre, so maybe it's meant to be fake? Who knows... This all seems like a trick to me.

WZXIcJZ.jpg

I mean they did the exact same thing to Elliot at the end of the episode. They've 100% got to make the death convincing for Whiterose to buy it. Maybe Price isn't as worthless as he seems?

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
I mean they did the exact same thing to Elliot at the end of the episode. They've 100% got to make the death convincing for Whiterose to buy it. Maybe Price isn't as worthless as he seems?
Exactly. Rewatching the episode, the way Elliot gets mad at Darlene is out of character, as if he's protecting Darlene.

"You did too much coke, and you saw something that wasn't there."

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Hmmm. Is it possible Elliot knew the picture of her dead was fake while Mr. Robot didn't?
Absolutely possible. Elliot has been quiet ever since she died, included not communicating with the audience (Mr. Robot is now the one talking to us, not because he cares about us, but because he has to fill us in). Though Elliot and Mr. Robot are working together, Elliot has checked out from communication.

Elliot checks out and let Mr. Robot talk to her when she starts spewing the theory. Then Elliot comes back and gaslights her, "you look so fucked up right now", and she get's pissed off because she knows he's trying to get under her skin.

Also, that photo was send by Whiterose, and not verified by anyone. Lastly, Mr. Robot says "atleast it would've put her out of her misery". This is the defining moment where Mr. Robot and Elliot do not click: Mr. Robot has been put of out his misery, but Elliot hasn't. "It'll break her heart". He wants her to be hopeful? Mr. Robot starts narrating right away, for the first time ever. "He doesn't talk to me that much either, not since Angela died."

Mr. Robot is in the dark.

I'm super excited to see where this goes, directions like this is so much fun.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I like it a lot better that she did actually die and thus we must root for the project to work to bring her back, setting up a difficult choice for Elliot later. Seems kind of hokey to put two shots into someone and then not commit to it.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand how WR plays into the final scene at all unless she was monitoring Elliot's apartment and they spoofed the connection in-between, leading WR to believe he is dead. Given the opening conversation with her assistant, she actually still wants/needs Elliot alive a bit longer.

To me, it was just 100% a flex on the part of Price to say "see, I can pull the plug at any time and nobody will save you, so play nice"

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly. Rewatching the episode, the way Elliot gets mad at Darlene is out of character, as if he's protecting Darlene.

"You did too much coke, and you saw something that wasn't there."

I mean, Elliot in the entire episode is completely different. He was willing to throw Freddy Lomax's life away just because he wanted to get information on Cyprus National Bank (compare this to the Ron hack where he just reported Ron to the authorities. Elliot actually rationalized letting Lomax die to the Dark Army as a casualty, so long as he got what he wanted).

Keep in mind, Elliot was already frustrated with Angela in S3 because he thought she was brainwashed by WR into letting Stage 2 go off. So it makes sense that he would be frustrated with Darlene seeing something that isn't there. If there's anything to protect Darlene from, it's that he doesn't want her to see what he saw (aka Angela dead by photo).

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how WR plays into the final scene at all unless she was monitoring Elliot's apartment and they spoofed the connection in-between, leading WR to believe he is dead. Given the opening conversation with her assistant, she actually still wants/needs Elliot alive a bit longer.

To me, it was just 100% a flex on the part of Price to say "see, I can pull the plug at any time and nobody will save you, so play nice"

that was WRs play. There was that scene with the lieutenant lady telling WR that Elliot needs to be trained and controlled. WR said go ahead. WR is showing Elliot dude I can fucking off you at literally any second so get the shit done.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
that was WRs play. There was that scene with the lieutenant lady telling WR that Elliot needs to be trained and controlled. WR said go ahead. WR is showing Elliot dude I can fucking off you at literally any second so get the shit done.

Makes zero sense to then have Price show up and save the day. None. The conversation with her assistant was referring to the picture of Angela IMO

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
wr doesn't want to kill Elliot yet. Just scare him into submission. Price works for wr.

The narrative setup is that Price will fight back, and will team up with Elliot. The honeypot and men at the end are loyal to Price, not WR. The episode is a lot less impactful if you just assume it's all being played straight.

Oct 26, 2017

That doesn't make sense. The shipment hack is already done, all thats left is the logistics of moving it from Washington Township to the Congo. WR also said that Elliot Alderson is going to be 100% dead after the project ships to the Congo by the Holidays (she said this to Grant, and now the new woman that's by her right hand). The only reason Elliot's still alive now is in case there are any hiccups with the shipment hack that Elliot procured at the end of S3. Threatening to kill Elliot now only to bring him back to life does absolutely nothing for WR. It does however, do something for Philip Price (either he's lying to Whiterose since the John Garcin honeypot was there in an event like this, or this is Price's way of working with Elliot but reminding him that he can die at any time if he is crossed. The latter is more logical than the former especially considering that it was Price's men and not the Dark Army that picked up Elliot from the honeypot apartment).

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
"Is she listening? Of course, she is. She's always listening".

Two things I noticed:

1. The Christmas Carol being played. Interesting lyrics, it's edited slightly differently:

Come, they told me, our newborn King to see.
Our finest gifts we bring, to lay before the King.
So to honor Him, when we come.

Shall I play for you, on my drum?

2. (As pointed on Reddit):

This poster has names "Carnehan Dravot & Fish", which is based on the movie "The Man who would be King". Other posters include "

The plot discusses two men who go on a journey to a foreign land and take on a king and in kind one of them becomes a god like figure and eventually they both end up having to leave the country one of them dies in the process and the other one narrowly escapes.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, that was quite a first episode to start the season.

I took the ending to be that WR ordered Elliot's death, but in the end Price decided to save him. They already showed a boat and that it was the holidays. So the boat has sailed sort of on the need for WR to keep E alive.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I took the ending to be that WR ordered Elliot's death, but in the end Price decided to save him. They already showed a boat and that it was the holidays. So the boat has sailed sort of on the need for WR to keep E alive.

It's the same guys that show up with Price that actually tried to kill him a moment earlier. WR uses fanatically devoted people that would just put a bullet in him, they don't care and they wouldn't be swayed by Price. The setup and MO fits more with E-corp fixers, like Tyrell's bodyguard.

Last edited:

Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
[QUOTE="MrFrankFontaine, post: 25352250, member: 5784

It's the same guys that show up with Price that actually tried to kill him a moment earlier. WR uses fanatically devoted people that would just put a bullet in him, they don't care and they wouldn't be swayed by Price. The setup and MO fits more with E-corp fixers, like Tyrell's bodyguard.
[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean Price hasn't flipped those guys. There is absolutely no point in letting Elliot get to the point of potential death or brain death from an overdose unless someone was watching and needed to be convinced. Otherwise why not just knock him out with a drug? For all Elliot knows he's dead till he is revived.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I'm really sad about Angela.

Fantastic opener. I cannot wait to see where we end up by the conclusion.

Oct 25, 2017
[QUOTE="MrFrankFontaine, post: 25352250, member: 5784

[/QUOTE]

You mistake my thoughts there. It was an ECorp building that was the honey pot. Ecorp peeps grabbed Elliot and Price was likely instructed by WR to off Elliot. He complied, but then changed his mind and saved him. He's going to use Elliot to get to WR.

shacklesmcgee

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't mean Price hasn't flipped those guys. There is absolutely no point in letting Elliot get to the point of potential death or brain death from an overdose unless someone was watching and needed to be convinced. Otherwise why not just knock him out with a drug? For all Elliot knows he's dead till he is revived.

I took it as Price was actually going to kill Elliott, but changed his mind

Last edited:

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
You mistake my thoughts there. It was an ECorp building that was the honey pot. Ecorp peeps grabbed Elliot and Price was likely instructed by WR to off Elliot. He complied, but then changed his mind and saved him. He's going to use Elliot to get to WR.

Whiterose has no problem shooting people in the head. There was no reason for her to fake an overdose.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

It's simply a power move on the part of Price, who decided to fight back after hearing Elliot talk about the bank, similar to how WR was swayed when he talked about moving her project to the Congo - they both admire the rage and conviction. The honeypot and men belong to E-corp.

WR's people can't be flipped, they're fanatics. It lessens the narrative impact considerably if you think WR had anything to do with the honeypot and the injection.

WR, to date, sent the 'reminder' of what happens if you cross her in the form of a picture of Angela. If she wanted Elliot dead, she would have just had someone shoot him. She has zero need to fuck around and frame things as an accidental OD.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I guess Price is also connected to that bank? or else why would he run a honeypot that protects it?

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Just watched the premiere. Damn that was amazing. Felt like so many throwbacks to the past seasons but still packed in its own surprises that it blew me away. Cinemetagrophy and directing is so well done in this show.