Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
A lot of God references in this episode, including the name 'Deus", definitely related to the third personality. Reminds me of this scene:

ODBiaZc.jpg

Edit: Elliot in S02E04:

"Is that what God does? He helps? Tell me, why didn't God help my innocent friend who died for no reason while the guilty ran free? Okay. Fine. Forget the one offs. How about the countless wars declared in his name? Okay. Fine. Let's skip the random, meaningless murder for a second, shall we? How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion. Exclusive groups created to manage control. A dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope. His followers, nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their dopamine of ignorance. Addicts. Afraid to believe the truth. That there's no order. There's no power. That all religions are just metastasizing mind worms, meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that wanna run us. All we are to them are paying fanboys of their poorly-written sci-fi franchise. If I don't listen to my imaginary friend, why the fuck should I listen to yours? People think their worship's some key to happiness. That's just how he owns you. Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality. So fuck God. He's not a good enough scapegoat for me."

Last edited:

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Tyrell has had too many interactions with other people for it to be him. Plus the whole him being CTO of one of the biggest companies in the world thing.

Right, and that's what has me shying away from it, myself. I'm having a hard time seeing how one of his personalities could be so high-profile, while Elliot is able to do so much work in the shadows. Tyrell's entire motivation makes little sense to me still, which is why I'm willing to entertain this possibility until proven otherwise (it probably already has, I just don't recall).

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe one chair is for the viewer? Maybe the viewer is the 3rd? Not sure how they'd play that.

Jesus, if the fourth chair is us, the viewer, whom Elliot and Mr. Robot can talk to but is otherwise unable to do anything but view what is happening... just, damn. Also could be a play on the fourth wall. IE the show breaking it to include us as part of the show, just not a wall. A fourth chair.

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
OMFG! Okay... this season of Mr. Robot is already off to an INCREDIBLE start. S3 is some of the best TV i'd ever seen... but S4 is off to a tremendous start.

WHO THE HECK IS THE 3rd!?!?

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Holy crap... Is it Tyrell??? Or what if... Just what if they made it be Whiterose. And somehow make it work... I honestly doubt it, but if they somehow made it work that would take me for a spin

Oct 26, 2017
It's not going to be Tyrell Wellick. We have already seen:

1) He was pursued multiple times for the murder of Sharon knowles.

2) The FBI believed him to be fsociety's leader.

3) The most damning one - Philip Price went to formally address him as the next CTO of ECorp and walked into Tyrell punching Elliot.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Elliot's collective family (mom, dad, kid Elliot) is #4 - they're all attached to Kid Elliot.

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Sam had an interview regarding this ep...he said all the theories on the subreddit concerning the identity of the 3rd are wrong. And that it will be clearer during a rewatch. What in the world...

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Holy crap... Is it Tyrell??? Or what if... Just what if they made it be Whiterose. And somehow make it work... I honestly doubt it, but if they somehow made it work that would take me for a spin

The choice of setting for that last scene is meant to imply Tyrell but it can't be him. It's just Elliot's 'headspace.'

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Sam had an interview regarding this ep...he said all the theories on the subreddit concerning the identity of the 3rd are wrong. And that it will be clearer during a rewatch. What in the world...
considering the episode only came out last night, did he get interviewed at like 3am? Because otherwise how would he have had time to read all the theories?
I think that interview you are referring to is more to do with the shows general ending

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
considering the episode only came out last night, did he get interviewed at like 3am? Because otherwise how would he have had time to read all the theories?
I think that interview you are referring to is more to do with the shows general ending

He did it with the Hollywood Reporter beforehand:
Sam on the final scene of S4E2: "This is the beginning of that big final reveal of the whole series. Honestly, it's one where I haven't quite… you know, I go on the subreddit, I read theories, I listen to podcasts. This is one that hasn't been predicted yet."

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
He was talking about theories in general up to this point not predicting this. He does say the think tank after the episode may get it eventually but no one has before the episode.

Ruruja

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much of the earlier story changes if you factor in a third person. Really cool.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
God that was weird, I was literally listening to that exact track from Koyaanisqatsi right before starting the episode. I thought I had unpaused it by accident before realising it was actually in the show.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So... the other one.

I don't think, as the interviewer infers, that it could be us, the audience, the friend. Because both Elliot and Mr Robot know about and talk to us.

So my guess is that the other one as something to do with Tyrell.

We know it's not Tyrell, but it has to be related to him.

Why?

Because I still want an answer to the most mysterious scene of season 1: why the Hell did Joanna Wellick talk to Elliot in danish in the season 1 finale?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
The third definitely knows about the Deus group

Why?

Because I still want an answer to the most mysterious scene of season 1: why the Hell did Joanna Wellick talk to Elliot in danish in the season 1 finale?

I mean, WR previous assistant spoke mandarin to him ("take care of her") right before he shot himself, even though they both had been speaking english up until that point. Who knows?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I had to look up what you were refering to. She basically said something like, "If you did something to [Tyrell] I'll kill you."

So you think she was not talking to him but just threatening him in a language he couldn't understand ?

You just solved a 4 year old mystery for me. :))

I mean, WR previous assistant spoke mandarin to him ("take care of her") right before he shot himself, even though they both had been speaking english up until that point. Who knows?

That's weird!

I can't wait to see if Esmail actually pulled off a twist that make rewatchs even more worthwhile.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
So you think she was not talking to him but just threatening him in a language he couldn't understand ?

I think it's a simple creative choice; switching to your primary language to make a statement is more powerful for an ESL speaker.

If there's no subtitles, I presume Elliot and everyone else doesn't understand it. I don't remember the Joanna scene, but there's no subs in the mandarin one.

Oct 26, 2017
Wonder how much of the earlier story changes if you factor in a third person. Really cool.

There's already one floating around, and that was something I remember side-eyeing back then too.

Eps_python S2
Tyrell: I believe in fate. There's a reason we met. There's something between us. I can see it.

Elliot: You're only seeing what's in front of you. You're not seeing what's above you.

Tyrell: I don't understand, I... I want to. Help me understand. "So much depends upon a red wheelbarrow glazed with rainwater beside the white chickens." My father used to say that to me all the time as a child. It was the only English he knew. Some silly poem. It meant very much to him. I use it as a reminder... a reminder of him and a reminder of what I never wanted to become.

Eps_legacy S3
Tyrell: Wait, wait, wait! Do you not understand what just happened?

Mr. Robot: The only thing that happened is the gun jammed. It won't happen again.

Tyrell: No, no, no! This is proof. Don't you understand? This is proof.

Mr. Robot: Proof of what?

Tyrell: When you told me I couldn't see what was above me, only in front of me.

Mr. Robot: What the f*ck are you talking about?

Tyrell: We...are gods.

Mr. Robot: You really are a lunatic.

Tyrell: You held that gun point blank at me and fired, and yet I'm standing right here talking to you. - What are the chances?

Mr. Robot: I don't know. But shit happens all the time.

Tyrell: This wasn't chance. This was an act of God. And we have been invited into His circle to lead this revolution.

Mr. Robot: You haven't been invited anywhere. You forced yourself in.

This would explain why Mr. Robot never wanted Tyrell in the operation (going as far as to kill him just after 5/9 hack was executed) despite looking like he invited Tyrell in S2 finale. The alter must've been the one who spoke to Tyrell after Mr. Robot did, and Mr. Robot just assumed that Tyrell barged himself into the operation. This is so fucking cool from Sam Esmail because he filmed that knowing that we'd assume that it was just Mr. Robot in Elliot's body talking to Tyrell, and not another alter.

Last edited:

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Loved this episode, and very curious where the Christian and Godhood themes are going.

Are we sure that the 3rd alter isn't a new one? That instead it's been present all along? Could it be that Elliot dissociated even further after Angela's death and that she's become entangled in his identity?

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this episode, and very curious where the Christian and Godhood themes are going.

Are we sure that the 3rd alter isn't a new one? That instead it's been present all along? Could it be that Elliot dissociated even further after Angela's death and that she's become entangled in his identity?

We saw Elliot hallucinate Mr Robot before he figured out who he was. There isn't anyone else that follows this rule besides the mom and kid Elliot. But we know there are pretty large time skips where Elliot is not the personality in control. It's presumed to be Mr Robot but the speaking pattern doesn't fit in a few instances, so the 3rd predates Angela's death.

The personalities don't share information with each other. For example, 'Elliot' has the Congo shipment hack up his sleeve in S3 and Mr Robot has no idea.

The next epsiode is 403 Forbidden.
The 403 Forbidden Error happens when the web page (or other resource) that you're trying to open in your web browser is a resource that you're not allowed to access.

The request contained valid data and was understood by the server, but the server is refusing action. This may be due to the user not having the necessary permissions for a resource or needing an account of some sort, or attempting a prohibited action (e.g. creating a duplicate record where only one is allowed). This code is also typically used if the request provided authentication via the WWW-Authenticate header field, but the server did not accept that authentication. The request SHOULD NOT be repeated.

It's possible the 3rd is completely compartmentalized to the point where Elliot doesn't even know they exist.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously Wellick, right? Just looking at old clips it seems obvious now.

He just shows up at his house like that, then "where is my mind" is played (fight club)

Watch this scene thinking that the wife knows that Elliot and Wellick are the same:

Or just look at the first scene they meet, Elliot is starting a monlogue in his head, Wellick stop him saying "now I know what you are thinking"

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
The theory that its the masked man that looks like guy fawkes is the best one/his imaginary friend.

making it tyrell would feel ultra dumb. Clearly the 3rd personality is absolutely evil. I assume darlene has some repressed abusive memories caused by this side of elliot too

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
Whew I am very pleased with how this season is going we are getting so many answers and confirmations. I have no idea who the "other" is but it's going to be crazy if they reference back to season 1 and that character has been around all this time.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
I hope it's not Tyrell as that requires a level of fuckery of presentation a bit above and beyond what the show already has done. We have had multiple characters that have interacted with both Eliot and Tyrell in the past.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
4 chairs.
Robot.
Elliot.
White rose.
Business version Whiterose.

It's Darlene. Anything she's ever done, Elliot could do remotely. Susan's house is entirely automated. Darlene never had to be there.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
Whoever it is, I'm guessing the 3rd is the personality Elliot escaped into to deal with the really bad stuff. The one he calls upon to just deal with stuff he can't face, when it becomes unbearable.

Like Fei's Id.

Oct 27, 2017
Which episode of Hardcore History was the taxidermist listening to? And was there more to that scene where the lady dumps her dog on the counter? The look on her face was odd.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
She went to a yoga class with Angela, this would make no sense.
Men cant do yoga?
I like the reddit theory that Sam, Elliot's child friend, is the actual mask and the video/screenshots providing possible proof he's been there all along.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty clearly Alter 3 talking to Tyrell.

and lol Elliot ain't seducing Dom.

Nothus

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope it's not Tyrell. But if it's not him, then who??

Could it be Irving? Dunno how that would work though...

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Been reading theories and stuff on reddit and I'm willing to bet the third is Sam Sepiol. Loosely translated the name means reclusive god, which could be referenced with the conversation with Tyrell, the "you're not seeing what's above you" line. The name is used for Elliot's internet handle. It's also the Wikipedia reference to get into steel mountain. That may not have been made up. Perhaps instead that was actually him.

The Elliot we know is a newer personality. In the dream sequence in S1 Angela references him being only months old. That explains why he doesn't know Darlene, etc.

Sam is likely the one that threw himself out the window in childhood. Perhaps Sam is the real person. Mr Robot and Elliot are created personalities.

Elliot also tried to hack himself but found nothing on Elliot Alderson. That's because that's not him.

And characters that knew him say Elliot instead of Sam because it's similar to the show changing everything to evil corp for a while.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
There's no way the 3rd could be Tyrell. The man is from a different country with a whole different backstory to Elliot and had a separate life with a wife and kid. It just makes no sense whatsoever. Plus, why would Johanna continue searching for him in season 2 after she met Elliot? It's just....no. Stop.

Anyway, that a was great low-key episode after the mental opener last week.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Been reading theories and stuff on reddit and I'm willing to bet the third is Sam Sepiol. Loosely translated the name means reclusive god, which could be referenced with the conversation with Tyrell, the "you're not seeing what's above you" line. The name is used for Elliot's internet handle. It's also the Wikipedia reference to get into steel mountain. That may not have been made up. Perhaps instead that was actually him.

The Elliot we know is a newer personality. In the dream sequence in S1 Angela references him being only months old. That explains why he doesn't know Darlene, etc.

Sam is likely the one that threw himself out the window in childhood. Perhaps Sam is the real person. Mr Robot and Elliot are created personalities.

Elliot also tried to hack himself but found nothing on Elliot Alderson. That's because that's not him.

And characters that knew him say Elliot instead of Sam because it's similar to the show changing everything to evil corp for a while.

Saw this theory and then some on reddit. No chance it isn't Sam. Kinda annoyed at myself for ruining it lmao.