• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody find the game way more challenging/difficult that what you expect ? I mean this not my first MH, but i'm not a Vet at all, i've heard a lot of complain about the game is too easy at low rank, i mean it's not "hard" but so far there was little to no cakewalk. And the one that i've got was less difficulty... check my armor hoo 22 point versus that element. I'm Hr 7, for me this is the perfect difficulty progression i've saw in a game since a long time. Can't wait to do HR then Tempered.

Also any good online guide for cooking ? i'm really lost on that aspect !

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just cant figure how to hunt with others. I make it public, but nobody ever joins... I want to hunt with people... not by myself.

Dusty Bottoms is my PSN ID

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys ,

Add me if you want, my PSN ID is YS4500 .
I don't consider myself a beginner since I played Tri for about 400h and MH4U 200ish hours but I would not say I'm a pro either .

But I do have knowledge about the game and could maybe help some of you on some hunt. I'm not really far into the game only HR 7 at the moment.
I play A lot with my gf and my friend and sometimes alone.

So just add me and we can hunt together and maybe help you kill something :)

Wambo

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Certainly but traps and flashes will help with this as will waiting for topples. Having ear plugs will also let you run right up to smash faces during many of the roars.
[...]

Ear plugs? Seriously? When/how do you get them? Just wanted to ask about these annoying roars...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Ear plugs? Seriously? When/how do you get them? Just wanted to ask about these annoying roars...

They tend to be gear skills on Armour pieces or decorations you can craft and slot into equipment. They have different grades, so the low ones might not stop high rank monsters.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I just cant figure how to hunt with others. I make it public, but nobody ever joins... I want to hunt with people... not by myself.

Dusty Bottoms is my PSN ID

As I understand it you have three options to matchmake:

1)If you are in the town and select a hunt from the board before departing(and see the player list in the top left with your name and open slots) ONLY the players in your 'lobby' area can choose to join(of which there are 12-16, I forget the exact count). There is no matchmaking with the larger public here. The moment you load your game, you probably select matchmaking which throws you together with a dozen or so strangers into a town lobby. Any of them could choose to join you, but don't expect them as they are likely doing their own hunts with other randos or friends.

2)If you have started a hunt and want more players to join you, you NEED to use the SOS Flare. This is what you will largely be doing mostly to match with others as host. Just fire it off the moment you start in camp(it's the bottom slot of the radial wheel for easy access). People are very active in responding and I usually have a full set of 4 hunters within minutes on anything I do once I fire off that flare. The flare is what puts your hunt on the quest board for anyone to see and join.

3)You could always choose to "join an SOS hunt" from the quest board. This is basically joining other games in progress. You get full credit for the hunt and rewards if you join hunts in which not a lot of time has elapsed(the board tells you which hunts still have rewards available and how much time has passed). You can search by specific hunts or monsters or whatever. Use it if you want to play co-op and don't want to host.

Choosing public matchmaking only means that when you fire off the SOS flare(ie. matchmaking), anyone can respond without requiring a password, but it doesn't mean matchmaking is "always on". You do need to use the Flare first, or join a game that someone started in your lobby group, or join a hunt where someone else used an SOS Flare.

Hope that helps.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Yeah, most armor piece has a skill. Some skills have multiple ranks.
Flip through the the pages when looking at an armor and look for the skill page. It should have a button prompt to show skills and descriptions (touch pad for ps4).
Sometimes having the right skills will make a huge difference.
Diablos has a huge roar, you will probably need more than 2 pieces of ear plug gear.

Talismans also grant an armor skill.

seansmith9322

Oct 31, 2017
If anyone can't figure out why their weapons elemental damage is greyed out and won't proc it's because you need a certain perk to awaken the weapon.

Deleted member 18568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any tips for Rathalos (keeps winging it away) and Diablos (relentlessly hits like a truck)?

I have thunder elemental long sword for Rath, ice for Diablos. Maxed Anj armor. Maxed out flash pods, stun etc. Not enough.

If I've unlocked the cut scenes then join another player's hunt (via SOS search) does that kill count towards my story mode, or does it need to be activated as my quest?

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
Just played the game for the first time for several hours last night and while it takes some getting used to and there's a lot more to learn, the game does a good job of explaining the ropes to you. Combat wise, imo, it plays like a Souls game but not as slow, timing is still key though, mashing buttons might work at first, but not as you progress. I'd definitely give it a shot though, this is coming from someone who saw himself never playing a game like this.

Thank you, that's really encouraging. :) I think I will give it a bit more thought first, but I'm very tempted now.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Any tips for Rathalos (keeps winging it away) and Diablos (relentlessly hits like a truck)?

I have thunder elemental long sword for Rath, ice for Diablos. Maxed Anj armor. Maxed out flash pods, stun etc. Not enough.

If I've unlocked the cut scenes then join another player's hunt (via SOS search) does that kill count towards my story mode, or does it need to be activated as my quest?
It count as yours as well.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing for couple of hours, if anyone is interested in joining.
PSN, online ID: 6RkyrQf7ApTa
Mainly hunting rathalos and diablos.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't tried to use the matchmaking at all yet because I've been having such easy success with SOS flares. Sure, you don't start the quest from the beginning with anyone, but there are ALWAYS SOS quests available, many that only started within the past ~5 minutes.

And I agree: unless you specifically want to complete a quest alone, there is never any harm in popping the SOS flare as soon as you can if you want to play with others. I've done it three times and each time I've ended up with a full squad hunting with me.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Do eggs for the chief missions appear on the map so you can track them with scout flies?

MrPressStart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As I understand it you have three options to matchmake:

1)If you are in the town and select a hunt from the board before departing(and see the player list in the top left with your name and open slots) ONLY the players in your 'lobby' area can choose to join(of which there are 12-16, I forget the exact count). There is no matchmaking with the larger public here. The moment you load your game, you probably select matchmaking which throws you together with a dozen or so strangers into a town lobby. Any of them could choose to join you, but don't expect them as they are likely doing their own hunts with other randos or friends.

2)If you have started a hunt and want more players to join you, you NEED to use the SOS Flare. This is what you will largely be doing mostly to match with others as host. Just fire it off the moment you start in camp(it's the bottom slot of the radial wheel for easy access). People are very active in responding and I usually have a full set of 4 hunters within minutes on anything I do once I fire off that flare. The flare is what puts your hunt on the quest board for anyone to see and join.

3)You could always choose to "join an SOS hunt" from the quest board. This is basically joining other games in progress. You get full credit for the hunt and rewards if you join hunts in which not a lot of time has elapsed(the board tells you which hunts still have rewards available and how much time has passed). You can search by specific hunts or monsters or whatever. Use it if you want to play co-op and don't want to host.

Choosing public matchmaking only means that when you fire off the SOS flare(ie. matchmaking), anyone can respond without requiring a password, but it doesn't mean matchmaking is "always on". You do need to use the Flare first, or join a game that someone started in your lobby group, or join a hunt where someone else used an SOS Flare.

Hope that helps.

yes.. much help... thanks a ton. SO I need to pop off flares. I was doing it the first way and nobody would join. Thanks!!!

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly haven't tried to use the matchmaking at all yet because I've been having such easy success with SOS flares. Sure, you don't start the quest from the beginning with anyone, but there are ALWAYS SOS quests available, many that only started within the past ~5 minutes.

And I agree: unless you specifically want to complete a quest alone, there is never any harm in popping the SOS flare as soon as you can if you want to play with others. I've done it three times and each time I've ended up with a full squad hunting with me.
I do wish there was a way to keep the people in your group. Had a number of fun people in my hunts but they're gone once the hunt is over.

darfreeze

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Behind you
Really enjoying mhw. Been a long while since I've been excited to play a game.

I can't believe that the Gunlance is my weapon of choice again since mhfu. I tried the insect glaive, and while it's really fun to use, it just doesn't it as hard. Looks so cool though.

PSN: darfreeze

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Really enjoying mhw. Been a long while since I've been excited to play a game.

I can't believe that the Gunlance is my weapon of choice again since mhfu. I tried the insect glaive, and while it's really fun to use, it just doesn't it as hard. Looks so cool though.

PSN: darfreeze

When you get all three color essences though.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Great thread,I learned something new in here.

PSN: Rammel29

Also, I am curious if they is anybody taking there time through this game I am still on HR3 haven't been putting in the time like others but I am enjoying it at this pace.

Last edited:

DC1

Nov 21, 2017
Ok party people.

I need to fight the level 7 mission: Pink Rathian. He's hell on fire and I'm at level capped until I knock him out. To make it worse, there' not a lot of folk responded to my SOS..(a may have gotten there a little to soon).

Any one else in the same boat? Want to knock him out together?

Rejam

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I tried to play one of the previous games on vita but couldn't get in to it. Felt clunky, lots of inventory management, loading between areas.
I'm really into this one now though.
Been playing gun lance mostly, but trying a few other weapons like long sword and bow.

Feel free to add, EU on Playstation:
Rejam

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Ok party people.

I need to fight the level 7 mission: Pink Rathian. He's hell on fire and I'm at level capped until I knock him out. To make it worse, there' not a lot of folk responded to my SOS..(a may have gotten there a little to soon).

Any one else in the same boat? Want to knock him out together?

If you're on Playstation I can help you out if you still need it.

PSN is Voltburn.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
First MonHun game I've played in earnest.

Jumped in last night, chose Hammer and went Bone path immediately for the damage. Played all the way through the Barros (sp?) fight in the Wasteland.

So far, nothing has been a real challenge as I've been able to maneuver close to the Monsters with relative ease and dish out big stun + damage.

I've never figured out how to actually do a charge attack yet though... seems like it would be really useful as every streamer I see is constantly doing charge attacks.

Is there a Hammer tutorial vid somewhere I can watch?

billysea

Banned
Nov 18, 2017
Just started a while ago and fought my first Great Jaguar. The weapon trees and armours trees so intimidating... how should I invest my loots into them? Which armours should I invest in?

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just started a while ago and fought my first Great Jaguar. The weapon trees and armours trees so intimidating... how should I invest my loots into them? Which armours should I invest in?
Based on my experience is to upgrade your weapon first then do armor based on what you get as you push through the games main quests, and don't spend much time farming until you actually run into challenge that gives you trouble.

Every unique Monster gives you a new Armor set to acquire so you are always getting access to better and better stuff and the low ranking Monster sets tend to not require rare items to craft.

Snowybreak

Oct 25, 2017

During low rank, invest in what you want, crafting whatever seems cool. When high rank starts is when you'd want to really think about it. Until then, just craft and upgrade whatever you like!

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm relatively a beginner as I only play these games for so long before I get bored.

And I'm already getting bored. To get better weapons I need to grind a fucking monster for a rare drop. But the drop doesn't come in regular hunts. So I do an investigation with high prices. But it has a bunch of limiters like only 2 people or if one person faints we lose.

I've hunted this monster so many times and still don't have that material. And the thing is that moving on with the story to hunt other monsters isn't much better. I already have my choice of weapon basically perfected outside of a few hiccups. So the grind and progression of fighting these monsters isn't being made better by me learning my weapon.

I'm essentially only playing this from now on when friends are online and want to play. But when cold steel 2 is out on steam I'm likely outtie

Misterproof

Sabotage Co-founder
Verified
Dec 28, 2017
Quebec City
Played about 20 hours so far. Enjoying it a lot.
I really like the twin short swords, but dang do these need to be sharpened often ...
My PSN id is: Misterproof

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Finally learning how to move around more with the Lance while keeping my shield up. I missed the mobility a bit after starting with sword + shield but not so much anymore. Can move around and poke high and low with relative safety if I don't get too greedy.

There is still a running attack that I did once and have yet to duplicate, but otherwise really really loving the lance.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Finally learning how to move around more with the Lance while keeping my shield up. I missed the mobility a bit after starting with sword + shield but not so much anymore. Can move around and poke high and low with relative safety if I don't get too greedy.

There is still a running attack that I did once and have yet to duplicate, but otherwise really really loving the lance.

Check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y51bQwgsyLY&t=119s

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm relatively a beginner as I only play these games for so long before I get bored.

And I'm already getting bored. To get better weapons I need to grind a fucking monster for a rare drop. But the drop doesn't come in regular hunts. So I do an investigation with high prices. But it has a bunch of limiters like only 2 people or if one person faints we lose.

I've hunted this monster so many times and still don't have that material. And the thing is that moving on with the story to hunt other monsters isn't much better. I already have my choice of weapon basically perfected outside of a few hiccups. So the grind and progression of fighting these monsters isn't being made better by me learning my weapon.

I'm essentially only playing this from now on when friends are online and want to play. But when cold steel 2 is out on steam I'm likely outtie
What I've found that helps is to focus not on just one monster but two monsters with material you need. So that way, if the first monster investigation keeps having everyone faint, move to the next monster you need and give that a go. Go back and forth. And also, take a quick look at everyone's weapons before you leave the camp; if you notice everyone is a melee, be support. If theres a nice mix, use whatever.

Just from doing random SOS, I have enough material to make all sorts of helpful low level armor sets. So you can do that too. Just randomly pick a monmster. After a few successful hunts, youll have enough for armor or a weapon upgrade.

It does suck when people faint though, which is why I've been drawn to the horn lately. Keeping people alive is a full time job.

Manu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Yusss finally farmed Anjanath enough for the Blaze Hammer. My fossil blugdeon II was doing 780 dmg, the blaze hammer does 780 + 210 fire damage.

Upgrades babyyyyy

twisteh

Oct 26, 2017
Can someone please help me kill a Kirin? First monster I've been completely stumped at. I'm online ATM.

PSN: UKtwisteh

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
Played about 20 hours so far. Enjoying it a lot.
I really like the twin short swords, but dang do these need to be sharpened often ...
My PSN id is: Misterproof
Use/craft armor and a charm with quick sharpening and the skill that allows your weapon to not degrade in 1 minute after sharpening(forgot the name ), It helps a ton for dual blades!