Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
What mode is everyone on Pro/X using?

After watching the DF video I switched to resolution mode but man does it chug in the Forest, it might be the uneven frame time delivery but it feels sub 30 to me.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Something about monsters fighting have been bothering, and is that the interactions aren't really good.

I mean, when the stronger monster attacks the weaker one it looks really cool, but once the animation ends, both stands there and just part ways like if nothing happened. It would be cool if it had more animations like the weaker monster running away or something.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking about getting the game, but I've never played a Monster Hunter game before (bar the demo for 3 on 3DS). Everything just seems a little bit daunting, and that's putting me off the game a bit. For other newcomers here who were in a similar position to me, is the game difficult to learn, and how many mechanics are there to take into account?

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I just went broke because I stopped paying attention to my zenny count upgrading random weapons and trying them out. Just did a bunch of investigations and I'm back up to 40k but I noticed that I'm one shotting low level monsters (small ones) that before took multiple hits. Was their health that low before? Like 26 damage hit killing a Gajau.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Thanks for your replies earlier. I'll try to push through, I'll avoid side-quest as much as possible and try to at least finish the story, if that is even possible.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm thinking about getting the game, but I've never played a Monster Hunter game before (bar the demo for 3 on 3DS). Everything just seems a little bit daunting, and that's putting me off the game a bit. For other newcomers here who were in a similar position to me, is the game difficult to learn, and how many mechanics are there to take into account?

To be honest, there are loads of mechanics to take into account but that is also the fun of playing. As you progress, you feel like a more accomplished hunter because not only is your skill getting better and gear improving, you also start to know what tools you can use in particular fights. Your knowledge of monsters all clicks and what previously use to demolish you, you can now run riot on.

Now is a great time to join because so many others are also starting, so coop will be there, as will a knowledgeable community.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, it's a bit overwhelming for new players!!!

I've literally just started the game, played the first quest, and I am sure I will have a ton of questions, but in the first instance, lock on, is it right that this is just camera lock on, and there is no attack lock on?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So I have a _ton_ of armour upgrade items but I suffer from hoarding in games.
When do you start to use them?
I feel like I should save them for the high ranks, but that is probably stupid..

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I've literally just started the game, played the first quest, and I am sure I will have a ton of questions, but in the first instance, lock on, is it right that this is just camera lock on, and there is no attack lock on?
It's more of a camera focus really. To be honest, ditch it as fast as possible because learning the manual attacking distances etc is what makes you a better hunter. The locking is useful for small things but it's always better to have full control.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017

The game does a decent job of explaining basics, like taking missions and how they work to the stuff around the base. It doesn't do a very good job of explaining how varied the weapon movesets are or really explaining the mechanics behind them (like Insect Glaive or Charge Blade etc) but there are good guides for the weapons. Weapon upgrading for me is still a bit confusing (like where I should be aiming to go) but overall I feel I have a decent handle on things. I haven't got deep in to the game yet, nearing the end of the story so I haven't done the High rank stuff but its not too bad if you're willing to look stuff up or ask questions.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway

Correct, there is no attack lock-on just camera.
You have to position your character so that he/she is facing the correct way to swing.
It also matters a lot _where_ on the monster you land hits. Consult the "field guide" in camp, the guy sitting on a ton of books, to see where and with what element to strick the monsters.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more of a camera focus really. To be honest, ditch it as fast as possible because learning the manual attacking distances etc is what makes you a better hunter. The locking is useful for small things but it's always better to have full control.
Got it, I am just so used to playing games with attack lock on, I'll have to try and unlearn that for this game, boy oh boy, that HUD, do they ever explain it?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Got it, I am just so used to playing games with attack lock on, I'll have to try and unlearn that for this game, boy oh boy, that HUD, do they ever explain it?

The Hudson can be busy but they do steadily go through stuff. The main thing to remember is the Hudson also changed depending on what weapons you use, since some have sharpness, vials and other bits. You will soon get use to how MH does things. Again, you only have to ask here!

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
So do I with the exception being some of the great forest hunts, especially that electric snake, dog thing.

I use the Switch axe and when I get in close for a combo it becomes difficult to time my hits.

The latter is my problem as well.. maybe it does drop in framerate but i didnt see it. Normally i am pretty sensetive for that.

Btw another question.. is there a way to cancel attacks??

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

There's some stuff to learn but as a newcomer, it hasn't been to hard to get into.

That being said, the training area sucks. It's weird how there's a shit ton of tutorial text everywhere yet there's nothing about the weapons. There should be some small tutorial about how to use the weapon's gimmicks, instead of just two lines of text hidden in a menu.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
The latter is my problem as well.. maybe it does drop in framerate but i didnt see it. Normally i am pretty sensetive for that.

Btw another question.. is there a way to cancel attacks??

You can cancel most things by doing a roll (X-button and moving to the side).
It's very handy when you accidentally start to sharpen the weapon right in front of some big jaws :)

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Hudson can be busy but they do steadily go through stuff. The main thing to remember is the Hudson also changed depending on what weapons you use, since some have sharpness, vials and other bits. You will soon get use to how MH does things. Again, you only have to ask here!
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, for now I've gone with the Katana, I assume this is an ok choice?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, for now I've gone with the Katana, I assume this is an ok choice?

Yeah, it's a good balance of damage and speed. Not as fast as dual blades but not as slow as greatsword etc.

Longsword has its own little Hudson element. As you attack, it builds up a Gauge. When full, you can do a combo attack and if you land the last hit, your weapon Gauge changes color and you do damage. You can do it again for max damage.

You have to balance keeping your weapon sharp and making sure you time your combo to land the hits. Sometimes you can whiff the last one if the monster moves.

MongKey

Oct 29, 2017
I asked in the OT as well, but is it common to ever actually get the fully charged GS combo to land? I only ever get it when the monster is KO'd. When it's awake, it's too fast to stand around charging the sword (monsters like Odogaron and Nergigante). I usually just do the non-charged overhead into the swing, then sheath, relocate, and do it again. I know the damage isn't high but I feel like that's the only reliable way to chip away at monsters.
Might be late to answer this but as a GS user myself, I never charge the 1st and 2nd swing since the damage increase is pretty negligible. The one attack you want to hit full charge is the True Charge Slash since that hits for so much. Arguably your main source of damage. Once you learn a monster's movement and pattern then you can also reliably target and adjust where the True Charge will land.

Always go for a True Charge if your initial attack hits since you can at any time while charging, cancel into a shoulder tackle to Hyper Armor through an attack into safety. Let's say you feel like the monster will attack as you wind up the 2nd slash, then don't let it rip but shoulder tackle through. You will then be able to wind up into the True Charge Slash and deal massive damage. This iteration of the GS is pure aggression and finding ways to be able to continuously True Charge is key for fast and consistent damage.

But it's also very risky so if you want to have a safer time then doing what you do is good as well. Just be mindful when a monster does an attack that leaves tons of recovery and space to attack; take that chance to rip out a True Charge. Keep at it and you'll soon be able to find your own rhythm on how to take on the monsters. Took me 2 Beta periods before shedding my mindset from using GS in 4U, where I always try to charge all the attacks, into how I used it now in World.

Hope this helps you to develop your GS style.

Deleted member 7370

User-requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
First time playing Monster Hunter. Loving it so far.

Started with the Long Blade, didn't care for it so switched to the Bow and liked it a bit better. Eventually tried a bit of every weapon and settled on the Dual Blades, love the speed and mobility.

Just killed the Legiana and it was probably the longest fight I've had, took nearly all 50 minutes. Also that breath attack it does fucking sucks.

How concerned should I be of the negative resistances in a lot of the low rank armor sets? I had the Bone set for a long time (fully upgraded) but eventually switched to the Radobaan set and love it but a bit worried about fighting stuff like the Rathalos with negative resistance to dragon attacks.

Add me:
PSN: fudyr

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First time playing Monster Hunter. Loving it so far.

Started with the Long Blade, didn't care for it so switched to the Bow and liked it a bit better. Eventually tried a bit of every weapon and settled on the Dual Blades, love the speed and mobility.

Just killed the Legiana and it was probably the longest fight I've had, took nearly all 50 minutes. Also that breath attack it does fucking sucks.

How concerned should I be of the negative resistances in a lot of the low rank armor sets? I had the Bone set for a long time (fully upgraded) but eventually switched to the Radobaan set and love it but a bit worried about fighting stuff like the Rathalos with negative resistance to dragon attacks.

Add me:
PSN: fudyr

LR stuff, only really worry if you hit a wall monster. You will make loads of sets of various types and element defences. Just swap and change as you need. Once you hit High Rank, then you can start to worry haha.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a copy of the game from a friend who wound up with an extra, looking forward to it, although I'll have to resub to PS+ if I like it enough and want to play with all my friends who have it (which is pretty much all of them lol). I'm still in the character creator but is the expression bugged or something? I've selected all of the options but haven't noticed anything happen at all.

Edit: NVM I just noticed the preview button.

Last edited:

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Doing the full combo to get a higher gauge on the Long Sword can be hard, the combo is quite long so it's hard to get a full save window to do it fully and not get hit mid combo (or wiff the attack). More than half the ocasions I get hit is while doing the combo.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Nice idea for a thread, I'm a veteran but I gladly hang out here to help and answer questions.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Ah great thank you!! I'm getting the hang of it but still need help. Xbox GT: l Sir Guts l (that's an L) feel free to add and message me. I'll be glad to play with people

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thought I had enough for a Palomalu armor set, but I used it this morning before work to deck my palico out in nice threads.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
So I am a multiplayer n00b on ps4.
I've never actually played with anyone before, only on PC.
Do I add the names here ingame or on the ps4 itself?

Do we become permanent friends (not that I mind)?

Is there a PS4 Era group for all kinds of games?

Wambo

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Does anyone else find it difficult to land strong hits when playing with others? I'm a hammer user but can't land nice hits on the head in multiplayer, because the monster keeps changing targets and spins around randomly because of that...

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
So I am a multiplayer n00b on ps4.
I've never actually played with anyone before, only on PC.
Do I add the names here ingame or on the ps4 itself?

Do we become permanent friends (not that I mind)?

Is there a PS4 Era group for all kinds of games?

Add each other in PSN, the game itself has squads which is like a guild in which you can see when someone is online, it shows their PSN name and character name.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, there are loads of mechanics to take into account but that is also the fun of playing. As you progress, you feel like a more accomplished hunter because not only is your skill getting better and gear improving, you also start to know what tools you can use in particular fights. Your knowledge of monsters all clicks and what previously use to demolish you, you can now run riot on.

Now is a great time to join because so many others are also starting, so coop will be there, as will a knowledgeable community.

The game does a decent job of explaining basics, like taking missions and how they work to the stuff around the base. It doesn't do a very good job of explaining how varied the weapon movesets are or really explaining the mechanics behind them (like Insect Glaive or Charge Blade etc) but there are good guides for the weapons. Weapon upgrading for me is still a bit confusing (like where I should be aiming to go) but overall I feel I have a decent handle on things. I haven't got deep in to the game yet, nearing the end of the story so I haven't done the High rank stuff but its not too bad if you're willing to look stuff up or ask questions.

There's some stuff to learn but as a newcomer, it hasn't been to hard to get into.

That being said, the training area sucks. It's weird how there's a shit ton of tutorial text everywhere yet there's nothing about the weapons. There should be some small tutorial about how to use the weapon's gimmicks, instead of just two lines of text hidden in a menu.

Thanks guys, I will keep all of this in mind. So all in all, the game isn't obtuse for newcomers? My main concern isn't so much that it's mechanically heavy, but rather that there are a number of facets that the player isn't taught very well, but aside from the weapon gimmicks it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Also, if I've played RPG's and loot games like Destiny and The Division before and had a decent understanding of them, will I be able to fare well here?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else find it difficult to land strong hits when playing with others? I'm a hammer user but can't land nice hits on the head in multiplayer, because the monster keeps changing targets and spins around randomly because of that...
I know the feeling although i use a different weapon there's a lot of times where i wish i could've landed hits but couldn't because of reasons you said. You'll need to start creating those opportunities, on top of carefully watching the monsters's pattern be sure to study the environment, perhaps you can slide down a slope and abuse those jump attacks to mount the monster, same deal with climbable walls and walls you can run up to and jump off.

Just keep at it, in time you'll be able to land those big hits a lot more often.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
It's great to see so many people new to the MH franchise!

All I can say is that if you ever hit a part of the game where you think you are stuck, just stick with it and power through.
There is an incredible sense of accomplishment when you finally beat the monster that has been keeping you from progressing.

For any game mechanic related stuff, just ask here or in the OT and you'll be helped :D

Oct 25, 2017
Here was a really useful video of tips that I think most people will appreciate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFT1_onV23M

It's not combat focused, but it does show some really helpful "hidden" features that can make the experience smoother and better, such as item/equipment sets and so on.

The following is basically what I (try) to do all the time in MHW cause it feels so satisfying (taken from Reddit):