Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Anjanth solo it was really satisfying!

I had to don my gillie suit to avoid being smushed by Rathalos when their turf war led them into a tight corner. Have tried it twice since in SOS and failed both times due to team-mates getting killed ... so I'll probably stick to solo.

OP
OP
Laughing Banana
Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Just listed everyone putting up their PSN and Gamertag up to this point. Let me know if you posted but you don't see yours or if I posted your name wrong.

Also this should be helpful for everyone still confused about how the multiplayer functions:

Last edited:

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I just switched from focusing on Light Bowguns to Lances, and good god it's like going to easy mode. Damage that isn't conditional on downing a monster and shooting three Wyvernblast mines under it; and way more consistent damage because instead of rolling through an attack for five seconds I just press R2 for a second. It's totally reinvigorating my interest after twenty hours of Rifle playstyle.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
Kirin can just.... Go eat a whole bag of nuts or something.
He's just a pain :(
No other monster gave me that much trouble so far.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I just switched from focusing on Light Bowguns to Lances, and good god it's like going to easy mode. Damage that isn't conditional on downing a monster and shooting three Wyvernblast mines under it; and way more consistent damage because instead of rolling through an attack for five seconds I just press R2 for a second. It's totally reinvigorating my interest after twenty hours of Rifle playstyle.

I Lanced my way through MHTri, it was amazing. Had a really good paralyze lance, learned how to block on reaction, had Guard Up and Guard+1, I was like a brick wall. That stabbed.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
not to be a debby downer but a lot of peeps posting here really should move on to the main thread, if youre out there fighting Diablos and shit, youre not a begginer anymore :P

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
I'm like 14 hours in and just reached HR6. Am I too slow?

I haven't even gone out for any expenditures outside the time they forced me to. I feel like I miss a lot of stuff not exploring the map thoroughly because I only get to do it during quests which are time constrain.

I'm using both Duel Blades and Bow now. Bow is quite fun considering how bad I am at shooting games. And I'm still trying to understand how investigation quests work. I haven't done a single one yet.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

I haven't even gone out for any expenditures outside the time they forced me to. I feel like I miss a lot of stuff not exploring the map thoroughly because I only get to do it during quests which are time constrain.

I'm using both Duel Blades and Bow now. Bow is quite fun considering how bad I am at shooting games. And I'm still trying to understand how investigation quests work. I haven't done a single one yet.

When you fight monsters and pick up tracks and whatnot, you will get Investigations sent to your Resource people (where you set bounties, etc). These are random set limited quests that give better rewards, at the cost of sometimes having less available lives or reduced time limits. Much better for farming parts because you can get 2-4 extra rewards, tiered at bronze, silver and gold, meaning you can get better rewards with those gold boxes.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
not to be a debby downer but a lot of peeps posting here really should move on to the main thread, if youre out there fighting Diablos and shit, youre not a begginer anymore :P
Ehh, I'd say getting into high rank should be the cut off for beginners that way people who get the game late or progress slowly can still use this thread to find people to play with when the majority of the OT is filled with people in high rank.

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
PSN TheJeesh

I am located in Australia so timezones may be tricky, hopefully there are some other locals on here. Pretty damn new to the game, enjoying it, but looks like it would shine in MP. Hopefully can get some people on my friends list.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand

Investigation quests will be your bread and butter for when you want to farm for materials for Weapon/Armor upgrades you want. They generally offer a very good amount of money and often times will have gold border material rewards which have those very rare materials fairly often.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA

New to the game as well, investigation quests add a lot more benefits then just redoing the quests you've already done (which are found under "optional quests)". You can receive more money, better rewards, and gain points for the various point systems, there are other benefits as well. Also it's best to do investigation quests when grinding for materials for armor upgrades and such as the time is best spent with investigations due to all the extra benefits they bring. You can have up to 6 active at a time, and the game tracks your progress in each when you're on an investigation so you can get multiple investigation quests done in one sitting as well. The game has a pretty nice tutorial explaining them or if you have other questions about them, you can ask here as well.

KsG

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
The one thing that bugs me about this game is that there is so many cool armor sets but what I'm reading is that to be viable in High Rank I'm going to end up looking like a clown with mixed armor sets.

Thats kind of a bummer. : (

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing that bugs me about this game is that there is so many cool armor sets but what I'm reading is that to be viable in High Rank I'm going to end up looking like a clown with mixed armor sets.

Thats kind of a bummer. : (

you are reading wrong

also, here's a begginer's thing I noticed...30 hours in (lol). Those special flowers or cacti or whatever you can loot 3 times give research points >_>

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
you are reading wrong

also, here's a begginer's thing I noticed...30 hours in (lol). Those special flowers or cacti or whatever you can loot 3 times give research points >_>

Yep, anything you pick up on a hunt/expedition that says "Account Item" is turned in for bonus Res Points. Each of those nodes also has rare drops that can unlock stuff in town as well when turned in. Also they give a lot of points.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
you are reading wrong

To add on to this, there are two "foraging points" per level which starts in low rank with two drops, one normal and a rare. Once you hit high rank the third drop unlocks for each of them. They also add ingredients to your canteen which is always nice :)

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for all the answers.

I thought you could only do one Investigation quest at a time?

When I go to the quest board and choose Investigation quest, I saw a bunch of quests at once. I think I can choose to get rid of some not so rewarding quests and only keep quests of the monsters I wanna farm? I can do that at the Resource center or something right?

Sorry, I'm not playing at the moment so I can't go and try it. Just try to understand it from what you guys told me.

I didn't do much farming so far. But when I did, I just chose to respond to the SOS with the monster I wanted.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

When I go to the quest board and choose Investigation quest, I saw a bunch of quests at once. I think I can choose to get rid of some not so rewarding quests and only keep quests of the monsters I wanna farm? I can do that at the Resource center or something right?

Sorry, I'm not playing at the moment so I can't go and try it. Just try to understand it from what you guys told me.

I didn't do much farming so far. But when I did, I just chose to respond to the SOS with the monster I wanted.

Yeah you go to the Resource peeps and choose Manage Investigations, then you can see what ones are available to you and pick and choose which ones you want to add to your active quest roster, then you can go to the board and Post any of those Investigations.

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure whether this has been mentioned before, but it's really worth it to do a couple of thorough expeditions on each new map. It helps mark out special gathering sites for those delivery quests and gives you a pretty good lay of the land so you know where monsters generally move about. You might even find some new areas with...err, a-meow-sing secrets. :)

Quoted for good tips.
Plus, you can find some researchers out in the area who will give you some bounties to hunt, which will then add some ingredients to the canteen. Pretty neat.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand

I'll try and explain it the best I can:

- Investigations are unlocked mainly by following tracks, breaking pieces off monsters, trapping them in traps basically whenever you see something over the right side of the screen with green points. It will also say something along the lines of "Investigation Unlocked".

-Once you get these they're kept at the "Resource Centre", you can go into there and select "Manage Investigations" to bring up a list of ones you can chose from that you've unlocked.

-This is where the juicy info is kept, you can see what monsters I wants you to hunt, how many times you're allowed to cart, how many players can participate, time limit. As well as the monetary rewards for completion and different coloured boxes representing rarity of rewards gained after completion (bronze,silver and gold).

-When you have found one you like you can select it and have it go to become a registered investigation. Now when you're at a quest board or the handler you can select to go on an investigation from the ones you've registered.

-You'll see the star rating it has (1-5 is low rank, 6+ is high rank), the name of the investigation (unimportant), the reward squares in their respective colours and the last number is the times it can be repeated before it vanishes.

That's the basic gist of it to my knowledge. They're going to be your bread and butter when you're grinding the money or items you need rather than optional quests or expeditions.

Samus37

Jan 15, 2018
Sapporo, Japan

Correct, you can only do one investigation at a time. You will, however, be given a LOT of investigations (I hit the 250 cap really, really fast) so you'll never really be left wanting for them. At the Resource Center you can choose to delete investigations or add them to the quest board so that you can select them (would make it impossible if all 250 were up there). Once you've 'selected it' at the resource center, you can go to the quest board and post it just like a normal quest. Be aware that each investigation has a limited number of uses, however, so eventually you'll have to switch to a different investigation.

Investigations are by far the best way to farm a monster for materials. You get bonus materials based on the difficulty of the investigation, ranging from Bronze, Silver, and Gold (gold having the highest chance to be a rare item or multiples of items). So it helps to clear out bad investigations (2 bronzes, 1 faint) in favor of really good investigations (2 silver, 1 gold, 5 faints) for example.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
when your Anjanath research is level 3 and you need one fang to make your fire bow but you dont have a investigation for him...

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
hay guise! this is my first monster hunter. I bought the last 3ds one, but couldn't get into it (especially the hand comfort part), but this one's got me good
just got past nerg, rank 13 at the moment
let's destroy some wyverns and shit!

PSN: Eio

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
when your Anjanath research is level 3 and you need one fang to make your fire bow but you dont have a investigation for him...

tenor.gif

You can always find S. O. S requests. I think Anjanath is the most common requests on the board. And make sure to hit him right in his face.

Zing

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is there any way to sell items once you accept them from a quest? For example, I have hundreds of useless bones. Can I sell them somehow?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
There should be a four star secondary quest for Anjanath. That's how I farmed it for mats today.

nope, not for me, not yet at least? I'm in the coral place story wise. The only hunt sidequest I had was for a Rathian, which I did.

also, this video showing the locations of all the camps should be in the OT I think

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Okay, I think I'm gonna pick this up tomorrow. I've tried the demo's before on the 3ds and it never really stuck with me. However, after reading posts here and YouTube videos I decided to give MH4's demo a retry. I had always used the great sword in the demo because I like gigantic swords, but didn't like the play style. So, I tried a few new weapons in the demo to test if I'd like others. I liked the gameplay of the long sword a lot and had a better time with it. However, once I tried the switch axe I started having so much more fun with its combos and speed. It's so weird that trying out different weapons can change your opinion on a game so dramatically. The only problem I still had was the camera, but I sum that up to the 3ds controls and figure twin sticks will fix that. Wish me luck Era!

Samus37

Jan 15, 2018
Sapporo, Japan
Okay, I think I'm gonna pick this up tomorrow. I've tried the demo's before on the 3ds and it never really stuck with me. However, after reading posts here and YouTube videos I decided to give MH4's demo a retry. I had always used the great sword in the demo because I like gigantic swords, but didn't like the play style. So, I tried a few new weapons in the demo to test if I'd like others. I liked the gameplay of the long sword a lot and had a better time with it. However, once I tried the switch axe I started having so much more fun with its combos and speed. It's so weird that trying out different weapons can change your opinion on a game so dramatically. The only problem I still had was the camera, but I sum that up to the 3ds controls and figure twin sticks will fix that. Wish me luck Era!

Good luck and happy hunting! I've been maining the Switch Axe since launch, and it feels absolutely incredible in World. Definitely recommend it.

Refrain

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Question, I haven't unlocked the special arena yet. I see that my captured monsters disappeared after a while. Did I lose them for good? Also, if you have already captured a monster and then captured another, will the first one go away?
I'm using light bowgun now and can't use some of the bullet like pierce bullet 2 or Wyvern even though I have them in my inventory. Do I need a better weapon or light bowgun can't use them?

Last edited:

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
So the special arena in which you fight captured monsters is unlocked sometime once you reach the 3rd map and talking to the blacksmith for a quest. I think it will only register monsters as caught and available there once it has been unlocked though. So all the ones you've caught shouldn't pop, you will have to go back and redo them.

Just remember that not every monster has an arena challenge. For the second part of the first question about monsters replacing monsters, it doesn't quite work like that I don't think. If I'm right I think it works like a checklist where you check them off, they get placed into the arena, you kill them at your own pace and once they are completed they go into a rotation and pop back up randomly after completing hunts, expeditions, Investigations.

For the bowgun sorry I can't help with that part, never used it, if I had to guess I would think only certain bowguns can use certain types of ammo. If that is the case then I think a quick visit to the smithy might be a good idea, he might show you what bowgun can use which ammo. I'm a scrubby longsword main so it is just my best guess.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
So to unlock a camp you just need to go to the area after the quest asking you to get the second one?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
nope, not for me, not yet at least? I'm in the coral place story wise. The only hunt sidequest I had was for a Rathian, which I did.

also, this video showing the locations of all the camps should be in the OT I think

All of the story quests are repeatable via the optional quest menu.

AngelL0ls

Oct 28, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
So to unlock a camp you just need to go to the area after the quest asking you to get the second one?

Unlocking camps can be done while on expedition, find the area where they can be set up which will mark it on the map with an icon that looks like a small wooden for sale sign.

Once that's done head back to Astera and go to the Resource Hub, look under the option for deliveries and there will be a turn in option for the camp where they ask for certain items to set the camp up, normally includes an assortment of materials and often resource points. Not too difficult :)

Just Progress

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are all the errors I'm getting trying to join friends just a launch issue? Takes like 5 tries to get into their session.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Got the game Monday and my playtime says 27 hours. Glad it's winter so I don't feel to guilty putting so many hours into a game.

Art Vandelay

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just noticed in the Xbox list there's a Ganondorfhyrule and also a Truezeldafan. You guys have to hunt together lol

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Bumper button cycle through information. The more you hunt and track, you will get more information like what parts they drop and weak spots to his them.

I figured it out... You have to talk to the Ecological Research guy to fill in your Monster Guide... Otherwise it stays blank.

Who designed this? It's my Monster Guide... you'd figure it would fill in automatically...

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I got my Palico the Horizon: Zero Dawn Watcher gear last night, it looks great. Looking forward to getting the Aloy gear now, hopefully that will appear when the Palico Watcher gear quest is over.