• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Been seeing this posted everywhere all day, and even seeing it explained in this thread I STILL don't fucking get it.. lol.

Such a stupid line.

There are thousands of jokes like this.
Here's an example...
"How does the scientist freshen her breath? With experi-mints!"

They probably should have found one that didn't involve knees or breasts, though.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
This is the joke and it is a visual joke. It is also a requirement to sing it in a pseudo-Asian style of music and sing it in an annoying high-pitch voice.

Chi-i-nese - "eyes slanted up using your fingers"
Jap-a-nese - "eyes slanted down doing the same"
Dir-ty Knees - "slapping your knees with your hands"
Look-at-these - "pulling your shirt out with your fingers, making you appear that you have a big set of boobies."

Honestly I had no clue what the issue was until I started seeing people post this stuff. I'm not Chinese, but am Asian American. I'm also 37 and when I was in elementary school in the early 90's I had this rhyme said to me a lot by other kids.

But I don't remember the "dirty knees" part at all. Not sure if it's just my memory or if it legit wasn't said by the kids around me at the time. I only remember it as "Chinese, Japanese, look at these" with them pulling their eye lids for the slanted eyes look during it.

Dec 13, 2017
LOL holy fuck what a mess.
Right off the bat without any idea about the rhyme it already sounded super weird low key racist.
Now, knowing about the rhyme, it's super fucking racist. How did not a single person catch this, or how were the dissenters overruled or somehow convinced this was OK. I'm sure money/marketing/media people saw this and at some point and started waving warning flags.

Also that clip belongs in the cringe thread

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
If this sinks Anderson's career then GOOD!

It's about fucking time a White Guy actually faces consequences for anti-Asian racism or anti-Asian diet racism!

The CCP. Or the US. Or anybody who does that. The fuck is your angle man?
We of Asian descent call bullshit on us being treated in a non-racist manner being contingent on the CCP behaving well.

If you're going to constantly pull the CCP whataboutism every time there's anti-Asian racism....

Then you need to take a good long hard look at yourself...

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Honestly I had no clue what the issue was until I started seeing people post this stuff. I'm not Chinese, but am Asian American. I'm also 37 and when I was in elementary school in the early 90's I had this rhyme said to me a lot by other kids.

But I don't remember the "dirty knees" part at all. Not sure if it's just my memory or if it legit wasn't said by the kids around me at the time. I only remember it as "Chinese, Japanese, look at these" with them pulling their eye lids for the slanted eyes look during it.

I'm not Asian, but now that I think about it I recall the girls would usually do this silly chant, but I never heard the "dirty knees" line either.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I haven't heard that line in a long time.

Boy their attempt at "reclaiming" that racist joke really backfired. I'm not sure why they even tried, these things almost never work out.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
User banned (permanent): Justifying racism and xenophobia, generalizing all Chinese people over the actions of the CCP
News Flash: A lot of Asians, not just people in China, have been on the receiving end of this sort of racism.

We. Do. Not. Like. It.

How do you feel about that?

News Flash:
China is killing, torturing, and seperating hunders of thousands of families just because of their religion.

Ask the 1 million Chinese Muslims being held in concentration camps how they are feeling right now, and then I'll tell you how I feel about the joke ok?

What do you want me to say? bad joke, ban film, fuck Capcom?

Want me to defend a fucking genocidal regime?

Like was said earlier. You can be critical on CCP and anti-Asian jokes at the same time which is what this new is about.

I wasn't defending the joke, but as I said earlier, I can't seem to care about a racist joke towards a murderous group undertaking ethnic cleansing at this very moment.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
A thread about racism against Chinese people is definitely not the thread to redirect to the Fuck CCP stream, and some posts in here definitely come across as using CCP to justify ignoring and downplaying anti-Chinese racism. That's supporting racism.

That isn't to say you can't criticize CCP at all in here - CCP is still related even to this story (banning), but if you're in a thread about anti-Chinese racism you shouldn't be coming in for drive-by commentary.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Open "Monster Hunter Final Script.doc"

cmd+F "China"
cmd+F "Chinese"

šŸ” Check any occurrences whether or not they're being used in anything other than an exclusively positive fashion

āœ… Profit.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
I wasn't defending the joke, but as I said earlier, I can't seem to care about a racist joke towards a murderous group undertaking ethnic cleansing at this very moment.
Do you really not fucking see how disgusting this post is?

It's a racist joke against the race of Chinese people, not the fucking CCP. Do not equate the two as one "group". FFS you're straight up calling all Chinese murderers, get the hell out of here.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Eat my entire fucking ass, you racist piece of shit. The crimes of the CCP do not justify your characterizing the entire ethnic chinese population, including it's diaspora, as "murderous."

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Open "Monster Hunter Final Script.doc"

cmd+F "China"
cmd+F "Chinese"

šŸ” Check any occurrences whether or not they're being used in anything other than an exclusively positive fashion

āœ… Profit.

Nah this movie has way more racist shit apparently, not just limited to Chinese people. More like Asia Pacific people in general.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
do you understand that an authortarian regime doesn't represent the will of it's people? It's kind of important. of course that is putting aside you already ignoring the point about the effect everyone else affected by anti-asian racism not living in mainland china (Spoiler aler it a lot of then) and tactitly admitting they are collateral in the kind of social climate where these important distinctions aren't maintained.

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018
News Flash:
China is killing, torturing, and seperating hunders of thousands of families just because of their religion.

Ask the 1 million Chinese Muslims being held in concentration camps how they are feeling right now, and then I'll tell you how I feel about the joke ok?

Of course, ALL Chinese who take offense at this are part of the regime

This self-righteousness hides nothing

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Nah this movie has way more racist shit apparently, not just limited to Chinese people. More like Asia Pacific people in general.

I have no doubts that there's plenty of diet racism in this movie.
It's just that there's one country whose government is incredibly fragile/proud which holds absolute power over the access to one of the biggest single markets for movie distribution.

Like, racism in your movie is always shitty, but 'anti chinese racism' in a high budget popcorn movie like that is incredibly dumb in addition to that, while being very easy to avoid.

VinceK

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I do not even know what to say right now this post is just straight up racist trash and is full on disgusting. What is wrong with you to try to label Chinese people as murders.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
News Flash:

I mean a lot of people don't believe Asians exists out of China, so you're not the only one if that's what you're going for.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Do you really not fucking see how disgusting this post is?

It's a racist joke against the race of Chinese people, not the fucking CCP. Do not equate the two as one "group".
Eat my entire fucking ass, you racist piece of shit. The crimes of the CCP do not justify your characterizing the entire ethnic chinese population, including it's diaspora, as "murderous."

I'm not defending the joke nor saying it isn't racist

I said I can't seem to feel ANYTHING, my mind is always thinking of the torture millions of Muslims are going through right now, while no one is saying anything.

I apologize if I generalized.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
seems like you're being pretty racist to me so it checks out the joke wouldn't bug you.

This is ironic af, like breh you live in Asia, in the fucking Middle East, and you're being racist against Chinese people when it's their government that's doing the inhumane shit. Are you not familiar that shit governments aren't their citizens? and that's beside the fact bc the thread ain't even about what you're talking about. How do you not understand?

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Capcom has officially responded to the controversy.

"The movie based on the Monster Hunter Franchise is being produced by another company. We have heard your complaint, and have reached out to the movie studios with your concerns. Capcom has always been striving to bring great games for everyone to enjoy, we hope we do not dissappoint you and thank you for the support".

关äŗŽē”µå½±ę€Ŗē‰©ēŒŽäŗŗ 关äŗŽē”µå½±ę€Ŗē‰©... ę„č‡ŖCapcomAsia - 微博 (weibo.com)

9w2mvUv.jpg

Mekanos

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 17, 2018

I said I can't seem to feel ANYTHING, my mind is always thinking of the torture millions of Muslims are going through right now, while no one is saying anything.

I know you're banned but you literally said the Chinese people are a murderous group so racism against them isn't an issue.

Fucking Christ, man.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
Edit out thing about CCP, hope I didn't offend anyone.
Yea this is a bit racist of a joke. And just because a countries government is shit doesn't give you the right to be racist.

Last edited:

yellowfury

Oct 27, 2017
News Flash:

Lol I'm ethnically Chinese but grew up in the USA. My family fled communist China for Taiwan/America in the 40s and 50s. I vehemently hate the Chinese communist party for what it did in the past to my family and what it does today to it's ethnic minorities.

But fuck me, I guess I'm not allowed to be upset at a racist joke that's made against my people? I guess we really all are the same to you.

you should not whataboutism this shit. It is incredibly offensive and detracts from the real racism people like me have faced in our lives and it also detracts from the suffering millions are dealing with right now in China. The two are not equivocal.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I'm sure china would have reacted the same if a similar garbage joke was directed towards black people or some other group. China just wanna stand up for social justice.

Yeah the joke is awful but I doubt it's about social justice considering the Uighurs and Hong Kong. I would assume a non racist joke would also have qualified for this reaction. Say, the movie interjected a joke about Winnie the Pooh or something.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah the joke is awful but I doubt it's about social justice considering the Uighurs and Hong Kong. I would assume a non racist joke would also have qualified for this reaction. Say, the movie interjected a joke about Winnie the Pooh or something.
Yeah, I know. I was being sarcastic. For the regime, this has nothing to do with taking a stand against racism, obviously. It's the same sort of total non-acceptance of everything and anything negative about china - be it either a racist joke or legitimate criticism of the atrocities the regime commits.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody told the writers you can't reclaim a racist joke the same way you can reclaim a racist slur.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Also, chinese individuals that feel hurt by this - I feel for you and you shouldn't have to feel this way.
But the regime, banning the movie? cry me a fucking river. How about you close down the concentration camps first, and talk about jokes next.

You could stop conflating Chinese people with the Chinese government.

Not just you, but a whole lot of you, too.

Londolian

Jun 24, 2020
News Flash:

I know you're banned, but it needs to be said. Your whole post is fucking disgusting and abhorrent.

Laser Ramon

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is wild.

Hope the blowback from this causes some folks in Hollywood to think twice about all the casual racism toward Asians that they never seem to get called out on.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
Are people actually incapable of separating the Chinese government with actual Chinese people.

I don' think this will hurt Capcom too bad. If they have sense they'll try their best to make it right

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
This thread is wild.

Hope the blowback from this causes some folks in Hollywood to think twice about all the casual racism toward Asians that they never seem to get called out on.
A cultural shift away from casual/diet/straight up racism against Asians no longer being accepted or normalized would be a cultural change that I've been waiting for since I first became aware of it as a teenager.

I grew up in the Asian-dominant bubble of the eastside of Vancouver, so I was fortunate enough to be sheltered from that shit.

Mar 7, 2020
USA
Are people actually incapable of separating the Chinese government with actual Chinese people.

I don' think this will hurt Capcom too bad. If they have sense they'll try their best to make it right

As seen in this thread and same thread on gaming side. No they cannot. People willl use the "Fuck the CCP" rhetorics to racist dog whisle anti Chinese/Asia stuff. That is one of the many reasons why Asia era left enmasses.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP

I know you're banned but fuck out of here with this shit.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if those lines of dialogue were actually an attempt at pandering to the Chinese audience, by drawing attention to the fact that this guy is Chinese, in case it wasn't clear. Because if they were just trying to write banter between two army guys, those lines seem pretty unnatural. At any rate, they couldn't have failed harder.

Yep. That's what I think this was too.

But it ended up more like this for them
A2GrRC0.gif

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
Just seems like a poorly thought out and poorly delivered dude-bro Army Banter geared towards highlighting a Chinese member of the crew.
Turned out to be a big ooof.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be a flop like we haven't seen in quite a while.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Thats wild since they were prolly expecting China to be the biggest market for this. What a backfire

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Paul W.S Anderson you damn hack, you can't even pander to the Asian market without being a racist. How incompetent you have to be to do that?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
How does a studio that invests millions into a project like this not have any safety nets to make sure crap like this doesn't happen in 2020? This level of racism "as a joke" is completely unacceptable.