• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Where are reviewers supposed to fall on the gaming spectrum? Pros? Novices? I guess they should lead off with that maybe?

Oct 28, 2017
Later on in the thread he recommends people watch streamers instead of reading reviews

It's almost like Xbox spent a lot on the marketing rights to a mediocre game and he's doing whatever he can to discredit the apparently deserved middling reviews

Goney

Oct 25, 2017
If a reviewer didn't know how to do a combo, is that the reviewer's fault? Or the games fault for not teaching combos clearly?

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One could argue that the game should appropriately teach you how to combo.
Havent played yet, but does Anthem do that?
why defend a game like this, it is not even an exclusive
Not sure what being exclusive or not has to do with him calling out 'in his opinion' a poor review in the industry he works in. Please explain.

Geek

Nov 8, 2017
Does he work for EA? Why is he of all people mad at reviews of a multiplatform game?

Xbox is comarketing Anthem

73e436cf-894c-4d52-9acf-59302c19f2af.jpg

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Translation:

"It sucks that the games we are cross promoting are getting mid reviews"

That Crackdown 3 + Anthem combo probably could have worked out better for MS in terms of critical reception.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Does he work for EA? Why is he of all people mad at reviews of a multiplatform game?

The same reason people here have trashed IGN and had reviews removed for the reviewer not fully experiencing or playing a game. If you're reviewing, you should invest the time and effort to fully learn and educate yourself on a game before you guve it a score. Especially since some developers get bonuses based on scores, and an improper score can lead to missed sales.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
He's being such a dick about it. At least try to word it more constructively.

Mini-Me

Oct 25, 2017
I've played over 20 hours of the game and still don't understand the combo system properly. Sorry Mike.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He "whines" about a specific reviewer complaining about a part in the game, when said reviewer didn't understand the game's basic mechanics. I don't agree with his point about streaming over reviews though, but then again I write reviews so I'm biased :P I do get what he's saying though: for many games it's better to just watch the game, or even better, try it yourself. Deciding whether a game is for you based solely on a number on a Metacritic page based on its 1.0 version is not how gaming works anymore.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
While I find the Ybarra tweet unconvenient he's not talking about the generality of reviewers but the one that didn't knew how to make the combo.

TheWickedSoul

Oct 26, 2017
Not a real good look but the people that complained that the IGN review missed the 2nd run in RE2 are wrong now? I found it easy to do combos.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
The rest are equally bizarre:

giantthinkingemoji.gif

The first part I agree with, the tomb mission is poor design at it's best (worst? bestworst? worstbest?) but it really was pretty quick, I had to do it from scratch and it only took me about 3 1/2 solo. On the downside, it really turned me off Freeplay and I haven't gone back yet or see myself going back in the near future.

Regarding the second part well... one of the replies said it best (I don't know how to link Tweets so sorry if this doesn't work, I've never used Twitter.)

From the review thread.

First it was Shawn Layden with a falsehood and now this shit. PR people are tripping over themselves to screw up.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
He's entitled to his opinion, but given his position, I don't think he should have posted this.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with this tweet but Mike is a good guy. He's one of the people that really helped make Xbox better.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
Translation:

"It sucks that the games we are cross promoting are getting mid reviews"

That Crackdown 3 + Anthem combo probably could have worked out better for MS in terms of critical reception.
It makes you wonder if there simply aren't any options for Microsoft to cross promote games or if the person responsible for those deals can't tell the difference between a great and a shitty game.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Their knowledge of the game will be patched in at a later date. Just give it a few months. Don't worry, there's a road map to better reviews in the next few years.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Yeah this was me. Story always felt off but I was siding with believing him over instantly condemning him, because hate crimes are a real thing. It always felt "off" but just having that feeling isn't enough

That said, now that its looking like actual evidence is coming forth this was a hoax, I don't find it surprising considering how weird the original story was

That doesn't mean people should run around saying "I told you so" because 9 times out of 10 these hate crimes are the real deal. Higher than that more likely. But yeah, its also true that in strange circumstances like this, people shouldn't rush to condemn those that question things as long as its being done respectfully
Presumably exclusive marketing deal.
Xbox is comarketing Anthem

73e436cf-894c-4d52-9acf-59302c19f2af.jpg
They have a marketing deal?

Ah so they put their chips in the wrong deal. Now I see.