Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Giant bomb came to mind. And yes...looking at videos gives a better view of gameplay than words.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Those are a series of some seriously dumbass tweets. His "not even out until friday" thing is also super dumb when you can pay to play the whole thing now. Like, no, the game is out.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
God Xbox has the worst luck : Fallout 76, Battlefield V and now this.
All online-focused games. I think that's a mistake. If they don't 'hit' then there's no pull to them.

What are the biggest selling bundles lately, Spider-Man and RDR2? I think a big single player game is best as a pack in but maybe that's just me.

Fanta

May 27, 2018
Some of you really think the dude who spends his weekends shitting in Xbox fanboys despite being the VP of Xbox has some sort of grand scheme to get back at games journalists over some marketing deal??

Lmao

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, this is where people really are going for impressions. The importance of the old "review" style is dead for a reason
If that were the case, why does he care?.

Firstly, the game doesn't implicitly explain the combo system, that's the games fault, secondly, negative reviews are correct, the game is in a bad place, thirdly, he wrongly states the game isn't even out yet.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty pathetic of a corporate executive to get mad about criticism of a game. Especially one from an entirely separate company.

Lol at recommending people just watch streamers. You mean the people you can pay to have a fun time with your game instead of the reviewer who might actually be a bit critical of it?

Even then, streamers also don't seem to like Anthem all that much.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand, I think that I get where he is coming from with watching a stream. I've had games where I completed loved them, disagreeing with all reviews basically. But I only dove in watching an actual gameplay video, or seeing a friend play the game. For this to work with sponsored streamers though you basically need to watch on mute.

That said, this is a terrible take. No need to criticize reviewers for accurately pointing out problems in the game.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
i have a LOT of problems with modern game reviews.

that said if im high up in xbox, im keeping my mouth shut about them

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Terrible look when your company is investing millions into people being "open-minded" about this heavily advertised, E3 featured, AAA GaaS.

MS has made some dodgy bets this gen (including missing out on Destiny), they will seriously benefit from the reset.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Developers getting bonuses based on review scores should never be a thought that crosses a reviewer's mind.

It absolutely should be. These developers are hoping for fair and proper reviews, and as gamers we deserve fair and proper reviews, I have not played Athem, and I do not plan to, so I am not sure if Mikes complaint is genuine, but a reviewer should not blitz through a game and throw a score up. They need to dig into every aspect of the game and learn it, so that they can the absolute best and accurate review. Regardless of if that's good or bad.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I feel bad for the guy, Anthem and Crackdown 3 are the big Xbox games to push for this quarter and they are both mediocre, but you have to defend them anyway. What a cringe watch.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
It's almost like Xbox spent a lot on the marketing rights to a mediocre game and he's doing whatever he can to discredit the apparently deserved middling reviews

And we have reached the center of the maze.

This is not a good look for Mike. He should have not took up the discussion at all. There was no point to it and he is not helping.

And dafuq is with "Modern Reviews" comment?

Jeff has the best tweets

Jeff is awesome sometimes.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ybarra, baby what is you doin.

Not good man, Anthem isnt good.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Not even your game, Mike. No need to embarrass yourself over it.

Just take the L on this marketing deal, lol. You are only digging a far deeper hole.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I don't disagree with stuff like watching footage of a game beforehand or getting opinions from friends, but to use that to disparage more traditional reviews is some daft shit.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
You know for someone who is supposed to be representing a major corporate brand, you'd think he would keep his Twitter feed out of these sort of debates especially when he's coming to the defense of a very divisive game that's under a microscope of justifiable ridicule. Read the room Mike. Stay in your wheelhouse.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The same reason people here have trashed IGN and had reviews removed for the reviewer not fully experiencing or playing a game. If you're reviewing, you should invest the time and effort to fully learn and educate yourself on a game before you guve it a score. Especially since some developers get bonuses based on scores, and an improper score can lead to missed sales.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. Now, I understand that picking a review made by a person who is knowledgeable and experienced is obviously what would be ideal for any game review but it is in no way a requisite. Sometimes reviews made by very different people with different tastes and experience can shine the light on new aspects that the other may have missed. The spectrum of reviews made by different people is what helps consumers make better purchasing decisions.

Your last phrase is true, at least in some documented cases like Fallout New Vegas, but no reviewer should ever feel beholden to rate a game a certain way because they are concerned of the impact it might have on the people that made them. Punishing or rewarding developers based on game scores is something that everyone should condone, not endorse.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
User banned (1 day): trolling
Era poster whines about corporate fuckboi whining about a reviewer whining. It's the wheel of life! /s

I see there's still a lot of people who bought into the Anthem hype when it was revealed having a lot of trouble admitting they made a mistake, including Mike 'I'm even worse than Jim Ryan' Ybarra.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I don't think it's a bad thing that this guy has an opinion on the matter, but I suppose there are better words to choose from than, say, "whining" and "embarrassing".

Oct 25, 2017
People complain about forced tutorials, then people complain about hidden tutorials if you want them. Is there no way to win?

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not to excuse his tweet but I'm pretty sure Mike Ybarra just really likes this game and is confused by the reviews.

I don't think this has anything to do with the marketing deal.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Why are the Xbox people always the softest lilies when it's time to come to terms with what they have to work with?