• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
How long do you keep your points until you redeem it? I feel like I'm going to hoard a bunch so I can see the number rise more but I should really redeem it at some point. Currently sitting at 46k points

I dont think they expire - people are saving points to get a Series X which is the 6 digit range

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I've been taking advantage of the rewards thing for about 5 months now - as has been noted many times there's plenty of foibles (ignoring 6 gays of login and game pass start of Jan mean I missed the 1000 by this be fault tak lol)

Does anyone get the one I do on my phone - every now and again it will login to the German version of rewards. I cannot get it the the English one.

Next day it's fine again but doesn't register any points from the day before

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC
How long do you keep your points until you redeem it? I feel like I'm going to hoard a bunch so I can see the number rise more but I should really redeem it at some point. Currently sitting at 46k points

"Microsoft Rewards points will expire if there are no earning activities within 18 months."

How to earn Microsoft Rewards points - Microsoft Support

Learn how to earn Microsoft Rewards points when you browse the web with Microsoft Edge, search on Bing.com, and more.

So as long as you keep earning, hoard away.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I'm just shy of 80K points and will probably cash out at 91K for a $100 MS gift card, which I'll bank away and get a Series X at some point.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm currently at 225K points. I'm hoping I can earn enough to pay for a Series X in full by the end of this year.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
I'm just shy of 80K points and will probably cash out at 91K for a $100 MS gift card, which I'll bank away and get a Series X at some point.
Those gift cards are only worth it if you know what you want to spend them on quickly because unlike the Target and Amazon gift cards, the MS cards expire within months of getting them. I like Amazon gift cards because they don't expire and I can use them to buy gaming gift cards when they're on sale.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they expire - people are saving points to get a Series X which is the 6 digit range
"Microsoft Rewards points will expire if there are no earning activities within 18 months."

How to earn Microsoft Rewards points - Microsoft Support

Learn how to earn Microsoft Rewards points when you browse the web with Microsoft Edge, search on Bing.com, and more.

So as long as you keep earning, hoard away.

Oh yeah, I knew that. I was wondering how everyone determines when to use their points lol cause I'm still trying to think when and what I should use it on

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I knew that. I was wondering how everyone determines when to use their points lol cause I'm still trying to think when and what I should use it on

In my case, I just use it as an ATM if some DLC or a cheap game on sale happens.

If you have the option, cash out on Amazon Credit, or one of the other gift card options.

wartime

Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

I've been doing the auto redeem thing because it seems to be the best points to dollar ratio and I spend that on games/DLC. The points I get beyond that I think I'll save until I have enough for the SSD expansion card. I have a hard time justifying spending $220 on 1TB of storage, but if it is paid for mostly with rewards points, it won't bother me as much.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I've been doing the auto redeem thing because it seems to be the best points to dollar ratio and I spend that on games/DLC. The points I get beyond that I think I'll save until I have enough for the SSD expansion card. I have a hard time justifying spending $220 on 1TB of storage, but if it is paid for mostly with rewards points, it won't bother me as much.

I had no idea you could conceivably get enough points doing this to get an expansion card. Ive not been paying attention clearly.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea you could conceivably get enough points doing this to get an expansion card. Ive not been paying attention clearly.

To get $200 in Microsoft Store credit you would need roughly 182,000 points.

If you earn 15,000 points each month that would take you 12 months lol. I think the MSRP is around $210-220 or so for the SSD card.

I've said it multiple times but MS Rewards is a pretty great service.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
To get $200 in Microsoft Store credit you would need roughly 182,000 points.

If you earn 15,000 points each month that would take you 12 months lol. I think the MSRP is around $210-220 or so for the SSD card.

I've said it multiple times but MS Rewards is a pretty great service.
I have 21k from when I used to do it and just stopped. I should jump back in

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The page SAYS it does. But I can't find anywhere where anyone said they lost the money or had it expire. The Payments page on my account no longer lists any expiration dates for my promotional credit. People have said they've had it for years and have been fine.

It feels like it's a warning, but not actually a rule.

I wouldn't sit on it too long, but it truly feels like they did away with it and forgot to update the page.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The page SAYS it does. But I can't find anywhere where anyone said they lost the money or had it expire. The Payments page on my account no longer lists any expiration dates for my promotional credit. People have said they've had it for years and have been fine.

It feels like it's a warning, but not actually a rule.

I wouldn't sit on it too long, but it truly feels like they did away with it and forgot to update the page.
You can go to Settings > Account > Payment & Billing and see exactly when your credit expires.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
Ah actually, I just looked and I have 11K points earned so far this month...maybe I miscounted but I really did think I averaged around 10K instead!
I live in the UK and have been keeping a spreadsheet for the last few months, the average is likely around 15k here - I pretty much rinse the hell out of it so I can't imagine you get much more.

There is the caveat that over the last few months there's been quite a few bonus points, a couple of 10k and 2k ers - I think also a 5k or something like that? So I've earn around 80k in the last 4 months - but apparently the bonus ones don't come up to his frequently normally...also the 10k gets harder each time as you take out the easier games and have to start putting in the time (and is it actually worth the time playing a game you're not enjoying for 5 hours for the sake of £1!?).

Be nice if the bonus points did become more common- that's around £200 in points per year free money!

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
The credit expires indeed. I have an email that says my spare 2 cents (after buying something) are expiring in a couple weeks or something.

Edit: yep, it expires exactly 3 months after my last purchase, and I got a remainder a month before the future expiry date.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody else having issues getting into rewards right now? I'm getting errors on all apps and devices.
My GamePass phone app is able to trigger my daily login and when I play a Game Pass game. But it won't let me take credit for the points because it cannot load my points balance. I logged out and back into the app but still have the same result.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Down for me too in the UK.

On console it takes ages to load my quests then asks me to try again later when it finally loads.

On IOS app it puts up the quests but when I go to turn them in it asks me to join rewards, even though my account is loading up my current points total.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
The credit from points do expire after 3 months but you can extend them indefinitely by preordering a game or something then cancel the preorder. This will shift the expiry date by a month. You can keep doing this whenever the expiry date is close.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cashed in points a couple months ago and got a Series controller.
I actually like using Bing. I use image search all the time for my job and I have to say it's far superior to Google in that department.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up: there seems to be some extra award for a free 50 points saying they screwed up and offering those points. Found in the Rewards website

Apr 24, 2018
I've finally had a punch card not register any points...I've spent $30 through the spend $40 on anime titles for Anime Month (and get 4k points) on my XSX. After several days passing from my initial purchase, it's still showing that I've spent 0 dollars on the promo. I then tried e-mailing Microsoft Rewards Help, but the person I spoke to there wasn't exactly the sharpest tool in the shed. I think I'm gonna just gonna give up on this punch card...I did get some great anime at super cheap prices, at least!

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Unable to get any of the game pass quests for the week to pop today. Hopefully they just show up later on their own. And the daily play a game pass game one isnt working either. login to the app did work.

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Unable to get any of the game pass quests for the week to pop today. Hopefully they just show up later on their own. And the daily play a game pass game one isnt working either. login to the app did work.

Having the same problem. Haven't tried the weekly quests yet, but the play a game pass game won't pop for me, but I had no problem with the app login.

mecaguendeu

Oct 16, 2019
I came to ask but I see it's happening to other people. Play a game from Game Pass daily task didn't pop up today for me.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
I hate when I get a trophy before midnight then think about getting the 50 points later but forget until after midnight and then not being able to get the points anymore. Shit.

oipic

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when I get a trophy before midnight then think about getting the 50 points later but forget until after midnight and then not being able to get the points anymore. Shit.

I hear you! I have an uncanny knack of unlocking achievements just after midnight, it seems, and of course, the AMEM reward doesn't work then (nor 'pop' the next day, either).

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The Control weekly quest is to unlock a power, not fully upgrade a power surely?

EDIT: None of the quests are even tracking for me, let alone popping.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
It is just to play the game, I loaded it up on the cloud app and got it without even pressing start.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If a weekly quest is 25 points then it only requires you to boot up the game. If it's 50 points then you have to do something in-game.

I had no issues with the daily or weekly quest but I did them soon after they updated so it was some hours ago.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Basically anything that requires you to specifically boot a game isnt working for me. Control, play a game pass game, and the one for earning 3 achievements or playing 3 different games isnt tracking.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Basically anything that requires you to specifically boot a game isnt working for me. Control, play a game pass game, and the one for earning 3 achievements or playing 3 different games isnt tracking.
Maybe they are having issues again this evening as all of these worked perfectly for me this afternoon just doing them on my phone via xCloud.