• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
You really don't want to do a list war. It would not be pretty for you.
But it would, i would say Xbox has better games in most genres of FPS, TPS, RTS, Racers, Fighters and Platformers in comparison to PS4.

PS4 excel at the narrative 3rd person action adventure genre, and the come out on top here.

It stupid to suggest Xbox has "no games", could they do better? Yes. They are obviously looking to rectify this further.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
The thing is your logic is flawed because there's no exact definition for cultural touchstone as it's a personal preference. Is Forza horizon 4 not a cultural touchstone? One of the greatest racing games ever made, a 92 MC and 10 mill players in less than a year? Ori sold millions with a 90+ MC, so did cuphead (88 Mc). So the thing is it's just a personal preference that can't really be justified in a quantitative sense at all.

How can you say Horizon zero dawn is a standout game when MS has put out multiple games in that same mid 80's range that also sold big. That's literally nonsensical
Horizon was the GOTY runner up in 2017. It wasn't a "mid 80's range" game either it was an 89 and very close to being a 90. Stop bringing up how much a game sold to make it out like a game is great or deserving of being a GOTY contender. COD, Madden, etc all sell millions every year. That doesn't mean they are GOTY quality games.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
It would be more interesting and people would see exactly what I'm saying. Even if you look at the top 5 winners per year you still wouldn't hardly see any Microsoft games. On the other hand you'll see a ton of Nintendo and Sony games.

People in here acting like Microsoft has had some amazing games they just weren't the consensus pick. Well they weren't the runner up or third or fourth place finisher either people. Not in the last 10 years at least. Journey won 50+ awards in 2012 so that's why they tout that. We aren't talking about games like Ori that won 1 or Gears or War 2 or 3 that only won a handful.
Yes, exactly.

And while there's no hiding that Halo 3 was a big deal back in 2007 and Gears was in 2006 (GOTY or not), those franchises now being shells of what they used to be all point to Microsoft losing their touch in 1st party. All while Nintendo and Sony manage to reinvent & keep their same franchises fresh and GOTY-caliber over multiple years (BotW, GoW, Uncharted).

Thankfully MS is fully aware of this, so hopefully there are good things to come.
But it would, i would say Xbox has better games in most genres of FPS, TPS, RTS, Racers, Fighters and Platformers in comparison to PS4.

PS4 excel at the narrative 3rd person action adventure genre, and the come out on top here.

It stupid to suggest Xbox has "no games", could they do better? Yes. They are obviously looking to rectify this further.
Post your list, then, and let it speak for itself.

Doesn't look like you're convincing anyone so far.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Unfortunately two of the games you are counting for Xbox have lost so much luster in sales and reviews that it doesn't matter and is nothing to brag about. But overall quality is not even a contest. I don't have make list to get that across, but you are definitely omitting some genres.

I didn't even say a game though. So out of curiosity, which two games am I counting for Xbox?

Oct 25, 2017

A couple those genres PS doesn't even make so by default I guess. Uncharted and TLOU count as TPS so no Gears lost that spot years ago.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
A couple those genres PS doesn't even make so by default I guess. Uncharted and TLOU count as TPS so no Gears lost that spot years ago.

Really didn't want to do list wars, but you really think Uncharted and TLOU has better third person shooting than Gears of War lol?
The shooting in uncharted is by far the worst part of the entire franchise, and in the earlier games it's straight up bad.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
I feel Nintendo gets a free ride by, people say Microsoft don't reinvent their franchises etc, but except for the latest Zelda Nintendo very rarely do.

Every generation they churn out the same games that hardly differ from the previous version, there are many examples of this.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Really didn't want to do list wars, but you really think Uncharted and TLOU has better third person shooting than Gears of War lol?
The shooting in uncharted is by far the worst part of the entire franchise, and in the earlier games it's straight up bad.

I wouldn't say Uncharted and TLOU are "shooters" like Gears is, these are narrative driven 3rd person action adventure games.

Uncharted is more comparable to Tomb Raider, you would compare that to Gears.

Doctor Avatar

Jan 10, 2019
I feel Nintendo gets a free ride by, people say Microsoft don't reinvent their franchises etc, but except for the latest Zelda Nintendo very rarely do.

Every generation they churn out the same games that hardly differ from the previous version, there are many examples of this.

What utter tosh.

Odyssey and BoTW were completely new takes. Mario Maker again. Splatoon is only one gen old and is completely novel. Arms? Fire Emblem Three Houses is vastly different than previous iterations. Xenoblade, again completely different.

If there is one thing you *cannot* levy against Nintendo with the switch it is that they haven't put effort into innovating their franchises.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Bad joke is bad.

The gun and traversal mechanics of Uncharted 4 and beyond have far surpassed anything Gears has put out. The verticality of U4's MP alone makes it more interesting.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The shooting in UC 4 and LL is ace.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, exactly.

And while there's no hiding that Halo 3 was a big deal back in 2007 and Gears was in 2006 (GOTY or not), those franchises now being shells of what they used to be all point to Microsoft losing their touch in 1st party. All while Nintendo and Sony manage to reinvent & keep their same franchises fresh and GOTY-caliber over multiple years (BotW, GoW, Uncharted).

Thankfully MS is fully aware of this, so hopefully there are good things to come.

Post your list, then, and let it speak for itself.

Doesn't look like you're convincing anyone so far.
FPS = Halo.
TPS = Gears
RTS = Halo Wars
Racer = Forza series
Fighter = Killer Instinct
Platformer = Ori

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon was the GOTY runner up in 2017. It wasn't a "mid 80's range" game either it was an 89 and very close to being a 90. Stop bringing up how much a game sold to make it out like a game is great or deserving of being a GOTY contender. COD, Madden, etc all sell millions every year. That doesn't mean they are GOTY quality games.
I'm not going to because clearly as people say ex. Halo has lost its luster and isn't an event anymore. That's a sales talk. Somliterall

Oct 25, 2017

They are better games period. Shooting is only one aspect of a game. That's not a really a controversial argument that UC4 and TLOU are viewed as superior games to Judgement and Gears 4. They were surpassed. Period.

Pretty mediocre list other than Ori and Forza.

Yeah nothing to brag about. A lot of OK games spread across genres. But if they believe Microsoft is producing better games that's their opinion.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Goty awards have be on useless recently because essentially everybody is sucking the dick of certain genres of games is read if actually looking deeper. That's why I fuck with giantbomb. Where else is into the breach or Tetris effect going to get major goty hype. I swear people don't play many genre of games and try to just vote on the 3 things they played

Imo a racing game, point and click adventure, multiplayer shooter etc can all be goty

The oscars are bull shit for a reason. Don't turn games into that

Maybe that genre just has more potential to appeal to a larger audience which is why Sony and Nintendo invest in 3rd person cinematic action adventure titles so much. Because those games usually get a lot of praise when done right. While GoTY is entirely subjective at the same time you can't be mad at people for gravitating towards that specific genre.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft's first party noticeably hasn't produced a game that has captivated the industry's imagination in such a way for a long time.
Do you also think that Kojima hasn't produced any games that has captivated the industry's imagination? Has this ship sailed for Kojima as well?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
There's a massive difference between publishing and developing a game. ME 1 was made (developed) by bioware not MS game studios. It was published by MS game studios until bioware was acquired by EA. Point being, you can not credit MS for any awards ME 1 got. "Award winning publisher" is not a thing.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
They are better games period. Shooting is only one aspect of a game. That's not a really a controversial argument that UC4 and TLOU are viewed as superior games to Judgement and Gears 4. They were surpassed. Period.

Yeah nothing to brag about. A lot of OK games spread across genres. But if they believe Microsoft is producing better games that's their opinion.
You still seem to be specifically referring to 3rd person action adventure, i have said Sony are great at this, but they are not so great in other genres.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018

I know many will disagree, but I don't consider UC or TLOU as Third Person Shooters. I consider them more so as Third Person Action Adventure Games.

In which case, I wouldn't directly compare them to Gears. That being said, Gears has much better shooting mechanics.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
FPS = Halo.
TPS = Gears
RTS = Halo Wars
Racer = Forza series
Platformer = Ori
The online racing in GT Sport is far superior to what the Forza games offer currently. Also Street Fighter V AE is a better experience than KI is IMO. Astro Bot Rescue Mission is the best Platformer I've played this gen hands down, scored higher than Ori did, and won several GOTY awards last year so there is an argument to be made there as well.

Last edited:

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Nah. Neither Sony's nor MS' FPS are worth discussing compared to 3rd parties (COD, Overwatch). Sorry bud, Halo's gone downhill. It might barely edge out KZ now.
Nope. Uncharted's shooting mechanics far surpass Gears'.
I suppose, if we're going to pretend that RTS on console is even significant.
Racer = Forza series
This isn't PS3-era anymore. Driveclub and GT Sport can certainly contend with FM and Horizon (probably surpassed them in sales).
Again, how does this matter when Xbox doesn't have Street Fighter 5? Or a D-pad most people want to use?
Again, nope. Sony has Ratchet, LBP, Astrobot, and the upcoming Dreams.

Surprise surprise. You post a list and it doesn't convince.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that genre just has more potential to appeal to a larger audience which is why Sony and Nintendo invest in 3rd person cinematic action adventure titles so much. Because those games usually get a lot of praise when done right. While GoTY is entirely subjective at the same time you can't be mad at people for gravitating towards that specific genre.
Then this thread is dumb. If you don't make X game yiu aren't going to have a goty contender. It doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. If the tide turns and every goty going forward is a MP centric title, it's be dumb to say well Nintendo and Sony haven't had a goty in X years. If slave movies and WW2 movies are what wins oscars, you can't say a movie or studio isn't good because they don't win awards

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
To me I've always looked at Single Player vs Multiplayer. Microsoft has always had the more compelling multiplayer games to me and sony has had the more compelling single player games. While i love both types, time-wise im going to spend more time in multiplayer (personally). So the Halo, Gears, Forza franchises fill the spot that i enjoy with my friends. Sea of thieves and state of decay to a lesser extent too. I would really love to see Halo infinite be the whole package again. Award winning campaign and multiplayer with a massive suite of game modes and options.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Nah. Neither Sony's nor MS' FPS are worth discussing compared to 3rd parties (COD, Overwatch). Sorry bud, Halo's gone downhill. It might barely edge out KZ now.

This isn't PS3-era anymore. Driveclub and GT Sport can certainly contend with FM and Horizon (probably surpassed them in sales).

Again, how does this matter when Xbox doesn't have Street Fighter 5? Or a D-pad most people want to use?

Again, nope. Sony has Ratchet, LBP, and the upcoming Dreams.

You have goooottt to be kidding me.

So you don't like Halo 5, so it doesn't count? Are you serious here? Or do you think Halo 5 and Shadowfall are just as good as each other? Come on man, don't be that blind. Especially considering Halo 5 is widely praised for it's MP.

Uncharted shooting is no where near to gears... But hey, opinions.

Horizon is king in racing. This is undisputed, especially if only comparing exclusives.

The platforming in Ori is leagues ahead of the latest LBP. The latest Ratchet is good thought.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
The shooting is fantastic, fun, much improved iteration-over-iteration, and like others have said the verticality affords it a lot more dynamic approaches to the gameplay.

This is completely wrong. You don't need to bring up falsehoods about Nintendo to try and act like Microsoft doesn't need to change up and rejuvenate their biggest franchises.

Horizon is king in racing. This is undisputed, especially if only comparing exclusives.
The accolades for Horizon speak for themselves, but it's only undisputed because GT Sport and DriveClub both launched with problems and the former lacking substantially in single-player content. The next iteration of GT (that is rumoured to be a launch title) will not have these issues. You're also ommitting an incredible amount of games and genres overall to put your point across.

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Xbox used to have some must play titles you couldn't find anywhere else. The multi platform stuff also ran better and made it an easy option to choose as your primary console. At least that's how I felt during a good portion of the 360's life. That slowly changed and the stuff they offered didn't really interest me anymore. Hopefully the new studio acquisitions can change that, but I feel like they are going hard with the service stuff. For what it's worth, the last game that really peaked my interest was Sunset Overdrive. I just couldn't justify buying an Xbox one for one game.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017

Again, nope. Sony has Ratchet, LBP, Astrobot, and the upcoming Dreams.

Sony has nothing to compare to Halo. 😂

Compare Uncharted to Tomb Raider, not Gears.

Ori is better and reviewed higher than Ratchet & Clank.

Forza is a much better series, come on!

Killer Instinct Ultimate Edition reviewed higher than Street Fighter.

I'm convinced.......

Oct 27, 2017

Again, nope. Sony has Ratchet, LBP, and the upcoming Dreams.

Also Astro Bot is one of the best platformers of the generation possibly 2nd best after Oddyssey.
But I would give this gen to FM in terms of racing genre but I can see GT surpassing it next-gen. I think Polyphony is on the right track to make it popular again with GT7 (2021) and GT 8 (2025) especially 8 can end up the best in the series with the refined tech of the PS5 and the content that 7 can end up lacking (think GT3 and GT4 situation).

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
The shooting is fantastic, fun, much improved iteration-over-iteration, and like others have said the verticality affords it a lot more dynamic approaches to the gameplay.

All Nintendo's staple franchises are very similar to the last Mario, Smash Bros, Narion
This is completely wrong. You don't need to bring up falsehoods about Nintendo to try and act like Microsoft doesn't need to change up and rejuvenate their biggest franchises.

The accolades for Horizon speak for themselves, but it's only undisputed because GT Sport and DriveClub both launched with problems and the former lacking substantially in single-player content. The next iteration of GT (that is rumoured to be a launch title) will not have these issues. You're also ommitting an incredible amount of games and genres overall to put your point across.

All Nintendo's staple franchises are very similar to the last, Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart etc etc.

I'm not saying its a bad thing but Microsoft get stick for this!

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
You have goooottt to be kidding me.
Nope. Take a breather and we'll talk through it.

So you don't like Halo 5, so it doesn't count? Are you serious here? Or do yout hink Halo 5 and Shadowfall are just as good as each other? Come on man, don't be that blind. Especially considering Halo 5 is widely praised for it's MP.
Never said I don't like Halo 5: heck I respect it for finally pushing the series to 60fps. But it's not 2007. Halo is probably not even in the Top 5 shooters of today. To me, that makes it not a very strong contender in this argument. I also remember very clearly stating that it barely edges out Killzone.

Uncharted shooting is no where near to gears... But hey, opinions.
I think you're horribly mistaken, especially if you've actually played U4, but maybe try talking specifically how? I already mentioned U4's verticality and traversal as one thing that pushes it over, along with color coded hit markers, headshot markers, and overall smoothness of the controls when moving btwn cover (compared to Gears' stiffness).

And you've mentioned...?

I don't think it's undisputed at all. Driveclub has definitely gotten a lot of attention with its post-launch support, particularly on this forum. And like I said, this is PS4 era now. GT Sport's online racing trumps Forza's.

The platforming in Ori is leagues ahead of the latest LBP. The latest Ratchet is good thought.
Again, mind explaining how? I'm getting a strong sense that you're still stuck in last gen. That might explain why conveniently left out Dreams and especially Astrobot, literally the biggest game-changer to platformers since Mario. And I don't even like the latest Ratchet...but I guess enough people do?

You also ignored the point regarding fighters.

Last edited:

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Sony has nothing to compare to Halo. 😂

Compare Uncharted to Tomb Raider, not Gears.

Ori is better and reviewed higher than Ratchet & Clank.

Forza is a much better series, come on!

Killer Instinct Ultimate Edition reviewed higher than Street Fighter.

I'm convinced.......
I like how you leave out Astro Bot and compare Ori to Ratchet. Don't even act like b/c Astro Bot is a VR title it doesn't count. It's a better platformer, reviewed better than Ori and won more GOTY awards than Ori did.

KI Ultimate Edition didn't review better than Street Fighter V Arcade Edition. Not to mention I don't see KI at Evo and such anymore but Street Fighter sure is still there. I think we know which is the more relevant game.

GT Sport does online racing better than any Forza game does so again your argument is flawed.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

There's nothing special about Gears of War shooting. What makes it unique is the cover system and how skilled players use it.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Then this thread is dumb. If you don't make X game yiu aren't going to have a goty contender. It doesn't have anything to do with Microsoft. If the tide turns and every goty going forward is a MP centric title, it's be dumb to say well Nintendo and Sony haven't had a goty in X years. If slave movies and WW2 movies are what wins oscars, you can't say a movie or studio isn't good because they don't win awards

I am big supporter of devs making the games they wanna make however I do believe that MS has lagged behind the competition in terms of exclusives. Thats something even Phil Spencer has acknowledged plenty of times which is a good thing because the first step to changing your circumstances is admitting there's a problem. Going forward, I do hope MS delivers on that front but the reality is, Sony and Nintendo continue to deliver GoTY contenders with their exclusives which happen to be high selling single player type games.

Not saying you can't deliver a GoTY contender with a multiplayer or live service game but those type of games rarely sweep when it comes to VGAs or end of year awards. Its just the reality of the industry and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Multiplayer games can definitely still be successful especially with a MS' budget so there will always be a market for them and the potential for a GoTY contender.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's a massive difference between publishing and developing a game. ME 1 was made (developed) by bioware not MS game studios. It was published by MS game studios until bioware was acquired by EA. Point being, you can not credit MS for any awards ME 1 got. "Award winning publisher" is not a thing.
Sorry, but this is missing the point. The thread is about Microsoft's output as a publisher. Mass Effect 1 is a game the published/funded, and had staff work on (QA,etc.). It's part of their portfolio.

Would you say Spider-Man is not a Sony game? Because it absolutely is.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Sorry, but this is missing the point. The thread is about Microsoft's output as a publisher. Mass Effect 1 is a game the published/funded, and had staff work on (QA,etc.). It's part of their portfolio.

Would you say Spider-Man is not a Sony game? Because it absolutely is.
I read it as their output as a game developer. Spider man is not a sony game, it's an insomniac game. It was not made (developed) by a sony owned studio.

I go by the games developer because some games are published by different companies in different regions and the developer is the ones who actually create the game.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
I just played a few games of that goty list, and found them so overrated (except RE4), I'm really happy that fortunately Microsofts offers me another type of games.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I see we've gone full list warz. Even the people posting them have exactly the avatars you'd expect.

Mass Effect 1 can absolutely be considered a part of Microsoft's catalogue.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Halo 3 sell a ton and get a shit ton of awards? One of the Gears games did too.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

No. Nintendo's output has been the very definition of re-imagining this generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.