Status
Not open for further replies.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Nope. Take a breather and we'll talk through it.

Never said I don't like Halo 5: heck I respect it for finally pushing the series to 60fps. But it's not 2007. Halo is probably not even in the Top 5 premier shooters of today. To me, that makes it not a very strong contender in this argument. I also remember very clearly stating that it barely edges out Killzone.

I think you're horribly mistaken, but maybe try talking specifically how? I already mentioned U4's verticality and traversal as one thing that pushes it over, along with color coded hit markers, headshot markers, and overall smoothness of the controls when moving btwn cover (compared to Gears' stiffness).

And you've mentioned...?

I don't think it's undisputed at all. Driveclub has definitely gotten a lot of attention with its post-launch support, particularly on this forum. And like I said, this is PS4 era now. GT Sport's online racing trumps Forza's.

Again, mind explaining how? I'm getting a strong sense that you're still stuck in last gen. That might explain why conveniently left out Dreams and Astrobot, and just said nothing about Fighters.

Halo 5 had a pretty large playerbase for a long time and it's still relatively popular today. It's known by many as being one of the best in the series for multiplayer. Simply because you don't play or see it doesn't mean it isn't popular or relevant today.

I haven't finished UC4 yet, but at least in UC 1-3 the shooting was by far the weakest part of the series. To the point that I had to push myself to make it through. UC4 feels better and that's a great thing, but I still don't think it compares to Gears 4 in terms of shooting design and how challenging the shooting itself is.

Driveclub was a failure of a game. It failed at launch and other than some great and pretty looking rain physics, it's only comparable to Motorsport, not Horizon. As a game, not just a racing game, Forza Horizon is phenomenal. It blends in open world gameplay with very fun movement and map design.

As for platformers, I completely missed Dreams release date, so my bad there. I thought it was still in beta or whatever it is. And truthfully, it's hard to directly compare 3D and 2D platformers. Astrobot alone gives Sony the edge when it comes to 3D platformers, but Ori is ahead of the others when it comes to 2D ones. Not sure what Fighters is.

Fighting game wise Microsoft is the easy winner here. What's the last Sony created fighting game? Bloody Roar? While Killer Instinct stands shoulder to shoulder with the big hitters of today, let alone old games.

And hell, we could even go farther back to let's say published RPGs. What's the latest Sony published RPG (not counting pseduo rpgs like God of War)?

With MS you have Fable (with a new game most likely soon to be released) and even Lost Odyssey in the previous generation.

Again, this is all just list wars and most of it differs from person to person, because we all have our own preferences, but dismissing or discounting Halo simply because "lol it's not what it used to be" is absurd.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This list would be more interesting if it was expanded to 'Top 5' games of every year, rather than just one.

The GOTY Blog website does in fact list more than just the overall GOTY. Here are the top 5 GOTYs of the past 5 years:

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead Redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:
1) Zelda Breath of the Wild

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:
1) Dragon Age Inquisition

2) Middle-earth Shadow of Mordor
3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

Exclusive GOTYs per platform:
Sony: 8
Nintendo: 4
Microsoft: 0

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
I love the statement how Halo 5 "barely edge out" KZ: Shadow Fall. I guess the same user also thinks Super Mario 3D World "barely edge out" Knack.
To answer the question that you're too shy to ask me directly: no, I don't think such a ridiculous thing.
The GOTY Blog website does in fact list more than just the overall GOTY. Here are the top 5 GOTYs of the past 5 years:

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

Thanks for this.

This should literally be the new OP.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
You can consider it whatever you want, they didn't make the game. I read the OP as a reflection of MS game studios output as a developer. ME 1 was not developed by any of MS game studios. That's all I'm saying.

So that instantly kills half of Nintendo's catalogue then. You do realize most of their partners are not owned by them right?

And say goodbye to every Insomniac game that Sony published (that includes Ratchet & Clank and Resistance). Same with games like Until Dawn or Concrete Genie.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

Post of the thread in my opinion.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Take a breather and we'll talk through it.

Never said I don't like Halo 5: heck I respect it for finally pushing the series to 60fps. But it's not 2007. Halo is probably not even in the Top 5 shooters of today. To me, that makes it not a very strong contender in this argument. I also remember very clearly stating that it barely edges out Killzone.
The consensus surrounding Shadowfall has always been that it's a trite and boring game. It's boring as fuck, in fact, and even as a graphically intensive launch title belonging to a lauded series, it couldn't break 75 metacritic, which should be telling. Halo 5 is a much better game by basically all accounts but yours, and to suggest that it barely edges out Shadowfall only says to me that you haven't played one (or either) title.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Couldn't care less about GOTY awards when uber duber mediocre games like Zelda BOTW and Dragon Age Inquisition won hundred awards

Because a majority of people didn't think they were Uber duber mediocre games. Can't get mad if a lot of people like a particular game.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead Redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

This should be the OP and really puts the whole discussion into a better light. It shows just how far behind Microsoft is in this discussion.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Halo 3 sell a ton and get a shit ton of awards? One of the Gears games did too.

Sony and Nintendo both have more games that got awards, but didn't take the overall win. This would make it look even worse. See below.

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead Redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

This is even more damning.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So that instantly kills half of Nintendo's catalogue then. You do realize most of their partners are not owned by them right?

And say goodbye to every Insomniac game that Sony published (that includes Ratchet & Clank and Resistance). Same with games like Until Dawn or Concrete Genie.
Yes. That is correct. Those are 2nd party games.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Halo 5 had a pretty large playerbase for a long time and it's still relatively popular today. It's known by many as being one of the best in the series for multiplayer. Simply because you don't play or see it doesn't mean it isn't popular or relevant today.

I haven't finished UC4 yet, but at least in UC 1-3 the shooting was by far the weakest part of the series. To the point that I had to push myself to make it through. UC4 feels better and that's a great thing, but I still don't think it compares to Gears 4 in terms of shooting design and how challenging the shooting itself is.

Driveclub was a failure of a game. It failed at launch and other than some great and pretty looking rain physics, it's only comparable to Motorsport, not Horizon. As a game, not just a racing game, Forza Horizon is phenomenal. It blends in open world gameplay with very fun movement and map design.

As for platformers, I completely missed Dreams release date, so my bad there. I thought it was still in beta or whatever it is. And truthfully, it's hard to directly compare 3D and 2D platformers. Astrobot alone gives Sony the edge when it comes to 3D platformers, but Ori is ahead of the others when it comes to 2D ones. Not sure what Fighters is.

Fighting game wise Microsoft is the easy winner here. What's the last Sony created fighting game? Bloody Roar? While Killer Instinct stands shoulder to shoulder with the big hitters of today, let alone old games.

And hell, we could even go farther back to let's say published RPGs. What's the latest Sony published RPG (not counting pseduo rpgs like God of War)?

With MS you have Fable (with a new game most likely soon to be released) and even Lost Odyssey in the previous generation.

Again, this is all just list wars and most of it differs from person to person, because we all have our own preferences, but dismissing or discounting Halo simply because "lol it's not what it used to be" is absurd.
So now that you see Astro Bot is the better platformer you are moving goalposts again and splitting it into a discussion about 2D or 3D platformers? Lol.

Sony has Horizon: Zero Dawn for RPG's which is far better than anything Xbox has offered in recent memory. And once again Street Fighter V is the more relevant Fighting game and since it's exclusive to PS4 it counts. It scored better than KI did and still gets included at events like Evo.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Halo 5 and Gears 4 are that good, shouldn't they get at least one award from like 200+ media outlets? It can't just be bias and conspiracy right?

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
So now that you see Astro Bot is the better platformer you are moving goalposts again and splitting it into a discussion about 2D or 3D platformers? Lol.

Sony has Horizon: Zero Dawn for RPG's which is far better than anything Xbox has offered in recent memory. And once again Street Fighter V is the more relevant Fighting game and since it's exclusive to PS4 it counts. It scored better than KI did and still gets included at events like Evo.

Aye, I agree that that does look like shifting goalposts. But from the very start I was comparing Ori with the previous LBP as both were 2d platformers in the first place. Notice in my initial reply to that that I agreed Ratchet was a great game and I also didn't directly compare that to Ori.

So take it as you will.

HZD is an action adventure game first and RPG second, similar to something like AC.

And are we seriously considering SFV as a Sony exclusive? It's quite literally the worst case of money hatting a game I've ever seen. It should be condemned whenever it's brought up, not praised. Also, wasn't the game initially not so well?

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Goty discussions are a reminder of how awful gaming is.
Why? Every form of commercial media tries to rank the year's products. Its only natural as it not only provides a backbone for critical discussion, it also raises awareness of lesser known but exceptionally good games.

It really does because no one seeing that list could take gaming goty seriously afterwards.

Maybe reply with a reason and not just arbitrary dismissal.

Sony produced and owns the IPs for all those games except Spider-Man where they own the movie rights have been involved in producing SM media with Marvel for about two decades now.

Nintendo's external partnerships still rely incredibly heavily on Nintendo publisher supervision and again, Nintendo owns the IP.

MS paid for Bioware to make an exclusive that Bioware owned, not MS, and was at least principally, if not entirely, produced internally at Bioware, hence why the series easily left the MS fold when Bioware was acquired.

At the end of the day the best litmus test is IP ownership/control.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If Halo 5 and Gears 4 are that good, shouldn't they get at least one award from like 200+ media outlets? It can't just be bias and conspiracy right?

They're forgettable games that's why. They used to be some of the best in their respective genres, not anymore.

Oct 25, 2017

Bloodborne is also an RPG. MLB The Show gets ignored, but Forza is constantly mentioned. Let's not forget the great arcade games by Housemarque either. No adventure games like Detroit or Until Dawn. And Xbox has no VR support whatsoever so it completely misses out on some great experiences exclusive or not. I went full list wars, but the responses here demand it so forgive me.

Last edited:

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Aye, I agree that that does look like shifting goalposts. But from the very start I was comparing Ori with the previous LBP as both were 2d platformers in the first place. Notice in my initial reply to that that I agreed Ratchet was a great game and I also didn't directly compare that to Ori.

So take it as you will.

HZD is an action adventure game first and RPG second, similar to something like AC.

And are we seriously considering SFV as a Sony exclusive? It's quite literally the worst case of money hatting a game I've ever seen. It should be condemned whenever it's brought up, not praised. Also, wasn't the game initially not so well?
Horizon very much counts as an RPG. It's just as much of an RPG as Fable was. Bloodborne also counts as an RPG I would say.

In regards to Street Fighter V yes it counts as a Sony exclusive since Sony helped Capcom with it. It counts just as much as Spider-Man, Mass Effect, Ryse, Ori, etc. Also KI wasn't good right out of the gate either just go back and look at those review scores. You mentioned that KI Ultimate scored better than SF5 but that is not true when compared to the Arcade Edition. You can't count one games revision and not another. You are moving so many goalposts it's funny.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead Redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

This right here is what it's the OP is talking about. You guys can play ball with what counts and what doesn't, who develops what who owns the IP rights. Meh, just wasn't a compelling gen for Xbox as far as exclusives. I feel like I missed out on playing Ori and Forza games, that's it, for the entire gen.

Next gen I'm not sure they are going to start knocking things out if the park either, this has always been Nintendo's DNA but I would say Sony just recently hit their stride. It's good news Phil is aware of it, but this is one problem where MS billions as a company can't automatically fix.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Goty discussions are a reminder of how awful gaming is.
It really does because no one seeing that list could take gaming goty seriously afterwards.

You shouldn't take any media awards that seriously. Much like movies and music, it matters to the people that care and that's all that's important.

If you don't care, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. Most people don't care about the Oscars or the Grammys either.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
You seem to enjoy misreading and putting words in my mouth, so this'll be my last reply to you. My final point on this: neither Microsoft nor Sony owns a Top 5 FPS today. Both have their own franchises that are good, but not Top 5 good.

Then it appears you have no argument here: I was talking specifically about U4, which it sounds like you haven't even played in MP, where the shooting mechanics truly shine. Go play that and maybe we can have a real discussion.

Driveclub underperformed financially (just like Halo 5 *gasp*), but is constantly praised as a fantastic product by those who have played it (and I doubt you're one of them). Even if I were to give you that FH is 'king', that doesn't change the fact that Sony would still have a strong 2nd in Driveclub, and a 1st in racing sims for GT Sport. At the very worst, we can say they're neck and neck, not that one's 'dominating' the other.

You still haven't answered my question of whether you've played LBP after 2008. Usually people who critcize LBP's platforming mechanics haven't played LBP3, which improved them significantly. Though for 2D platformers, very few people care to look outside of Mario, so this argument's kind of a wash like the RTS one.

'Shoulder to shoulder'? You're stretching. KI is good, but not quite that good. Let's not forget it barely maintains an EVO spot (and even didn't make it one year).

And again, you dodged my very direct question again of how does this matter when MS doesn't have Street Fighter 5? I'm glad this'll be my final reply.

This is clearly a joke. Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn for ARPGS, and Ni No Kuni is still exclusive to Sony on consoles. Please. Just stop.
Again, this is all just list wars and most of it differs from person to person, because we all have our own preferences but dismissing or discounting Halo simply because "lol it's not what it used to be" is absurd.
Oh, it certainly does. To be quite honest, you sound a lot like someone who lived under a rock for the 8th gen and still believes that Microsoft is eating Sony's lunch. Especially if you're going to just dismiss U4's shooting mechanics or act like Halo's still in it's glory days.

I'll let you continue this convo with someone more patient. I'm done.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Sony produced and owns the IPs for all those games except Spider-Man where they own the movie rights have been involved in producing SM media with Marvel for about two decades now.

Nintendo's external partnerships still rely incredibly heavily on Nintendo publisher supervision and again, Nintendo owns the IP.

MS paid for Bioware to make an exclusive that Bioware owned, not MS, and was at least principally, if not entirely, produced internally at Bioware, hence why the series easily left the MS fold when Bioware was acquired.

At the end of the day the best litmus test is IP ownership/control.
The question isn't about control/ownership, it's about output.

Microsoft had producers and staff on Mass Effect, so it's disingenuous to say all they did was throw money at BioWare. Look at ME1's credits and you'll see many of the same roles on the Microsoft side of things that you would see in any of their internal studios' games' credits.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
So we're going to have to agree to disagree.
It happens. I appreciate the discussion remaining both logical and cool headed. That doesn't happen often here.
You shouldn't take any media awards that seriously. Much like movies and music, it matters to the people that care and that's all that's important.

If you don't care, good for you. Nothing wrong with that. Most people don't care about the Oscars or the Grammys either.
We definitely agree here!

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
"GOTY" is such a subjective thing. I'd take Overwatch or Doom 2016 over Uncharted 4 any day, this entire thread is pointless. I'll take Gears/Halo/Forza over any Sony 1st part game if I was forced to make a choice. Thankfully I'm not and can gladly own every system when the money allows. Seriously, we all agree that the later half of this gen has had a lack of new first party IP for MS but jesus christ this is ridiculous.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly. If they were amazing games they would've at least been recognized somewhat. The fact that they weren't says it all.

It's kind of crazy to me but it's like me arguing the Order 1886 is GOTY material because I had fun with it. I'm a PS fan but I'm not that crazy. Instead of auguring, I need to look inward and analyse why the Order is not as good as it can be.

"GOTY" is such a subjective thing. I'd take Overwatch or Doom 2016 over Uncharted 4 any day, this entire thread is pointless. I'll take Gears/Halo/Forza over any Sony 1st part game if I was forced to make a choice. Thankfully I'm not and can gladly own every system when the money allows. Seriously, we all agree that the later half of this gen has had a lack of new first party IP for MS but jesus christ this is ridiculous.

FYI, Overwatch and Doom got 100+ GOTY awards, so they were recognized.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The thing is your logic is flawed because there's no exact definition for cultural touchstone as it's a personal preference. Is Forza horizon 4 not a cultural touchstone? One of the greatest racing games ever made, a 92 MC and 10 mill players in less than a year? Ori sold millions with a high 80's MC, so did cuphead (88 Mc). So the thing is it's just a personal preference that can't really be justified in a quantitative sense at all.

How can you say Horizon zero dawn is a standout game when MS has put out multiple games in that same mid 80's range that also sold big. That's literally nonsensical

Yeah, there's no good way to frame a discussion like this. It's not purely based on critical consensus and it's not purely based on sales. It's some nebulous combination of a minimum threshold of both plus some sort of public discourse about the game (and not the scandal/bad publicity sort). I guess it's more about the games we expect to remember fondly, as weird as that sounds?

And Forza is in a weird spot. I feel like the more specific a game is in its appeal the harder it is to group into a broad category of "touchstone" games unless it really sets itself apart from the genre, but Forza has been so consistently good that from an outside perspective none of them do that. If that makes sense? So considering it's an annual franchise, it's fair to say Microsoft has Forza as a touchstone but it's more akin to saying they have the non-super Arcady, realistic graphics racing genre which definitely has plenty of fans.

Am I making sense? Like when I think about PS2 classics I think about Jak & Daxter, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Final Fantasy X/XII, Silent Hill 2, Grand Theft Auto III/San Andreas. There are games that rise above the rest, but it's not every good game. In whatever way we define these sorts of games I think Microsoft has been lacking for basically a decade outside of Forza.

In my opinion at least.

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead Redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

Adding the top 5's makes the situation look worse for MS. Whilst I have a game or two each year that I'd have in those top 5's, generally, these are very best AAA titles from the past 5 years.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Horizon very much counts as an RPG. It's just as much of an RPG as Fable was. Bloodborne also counts as an RPG I would say.

In regards to Street Fighter V yes it counts as a Sony exclusive since Sony helped Capcom with it. It counts just as much as Spider-Man, Mass Effect, Ryse, Ori, etc. Also KI wasn't good right out of the gate either just go back and look at those review scores. You mentioned that KI Ultimate scored better than SF5 but that is not true when compared to the Arcade Edition. You can't count one games revision and not another. You are moving so many goalposts it's funny.

Okay whoa, I didn't ever mention KI Ultimate and it's review score. I just said I heard some bad things about SFV out of the gate. And most of the problems with KI at launch wasn't with the gameplay, it was with the game lacking content.

And hey, I really don't think Sony needed to be there for SFV to exist considering what a massive IP it is, but who knows, right?

The RPG thing was more of a joke then anything else. Neither side really focuses on that genre, especially JRPGs.

You seem to enjoy misreading and putting words in my mouth, so this'll be my last reply to you. My final point on this: neither Microsoft nor Sony owns a Top 5 FPS today. Both have their own franchises that are good, but not Top 5 good.

Then it appears you have no argument here: I was talking specifically about U4, which it sounds like you haven't even played in MP, where the shooting mechanics truly shine. Go play that and maybe we can have a real discussion.

Driveclub underperformed financially (just like Halo 5 *gasp*), but is constantly praised as a fantastic product by those who have played it (and I doubt you're one of them). Even if I were to give you that FH is 'king', that doesn't change the fact that Sony would still have a strong 2nd in Driveclub, and a 1st in racing sims for GT Sport. At the very worst, we can say they're neck and neck, not that one's 'dominating' the other.

You still haven't answered my question of whether you've played LBP after 2008. Usually people who critcize LBP's platforming mechanics haven't played LBP3, which improved them significantly. Though for 2D platformers, very few people care to look outside of Mario, so this argument's kind of a wash like the RTS one.

You dodged my very direct question again of how does this matter when MS doesn't have Street Fighter 5? I'm glad this'll be my final reply.

This is clearly a joke. Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn for ARPGS, and Ni No Kuni is still exclusive to Sony on consoles. Please. Just stop.

Oh, it certainly does. To be quite honest, you sound a lot like someone who lived under a rock for the 8th gen and still believes that Microsoft is eating Sony's lunch. Especially if you're going to just dismiss U4's shooting mechanics or act like Halo's still in it's glory days.

I'll let you continue this convo with someone more patient. I'm done.

I think you're taking what I'm saying way too seriously. This is simply my opinion and how I feel about things. You say Halo 5 can't be counted in the top 5 shooters of this generation and I strongly disagree. It's really that simple.

And uh, no, I have zero interest in playing UC 4 Multiplayer. Like zero, negative even maybe. If the shooting mechanics require MP to stand out then there's something wrong. And Halo 5 didn't underperform financially though? It actually sold really damn well, especially considering just how badly Xbox got their butt kicked in sales this generation. Not to mention the REQ packs made a crazy amount of money, which they also funneled back into the community with tournaments and the like.

I have played LBP3. It was a fun game, especially with a friend. But it doesn't compare (to me) to the gameplay in Ori. Even the platforming part of Ori specifically is very well made, let alone the art direction, combat, music, etc. You ask me whether I've played LBP after 2008, so I'll ask, have you played Ori?

Fighting game wise, I think SFV would exist regardless of whether Sony moneyhatted the game or not. And even then I consider Killer Instinct to be the superior game.

And yeah, I was joking about the rpg thing lol. Neither side focuses too much on that genre, especially JRPGs, but games like Bloodborne and Horizon do give the edge to Sony. Especially as we haven't had a Fable game in so long.

I don't think I've ever believed MS is "eating Sony's lunch", especially in this generation. Bloodborne alone might be my game of the generation (if DS3 didn't exist) and God of War was such a refreshing game to play. Sure Halo isn't in it's glory days, but it's also far from the deathbed you give the impression that it's on.

Go ahead and don't reply to me, that's cool. I'm having a good time discussing this, there's nothing malicious or insulting in what I post, or at least I don't mean to be. We disagree heavily when it comes to Halo 5, but everyone has their preferences and their opinions.

Have a good one.

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry but Halo 2 is GOTY, not HL2

Loading…

* The Winners of the Year *

Half-Life 2 - 21

Halo 2 - 11 (including Awards 2005)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 9 (including Awards 2005)

Katamari Damacy - 3

World of Warcraft - 3

Doom 3 - 2

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2

Rome Total War - 1

The Sims 2 - 1

City of Heroes - 1

Fable - 1

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Loading…

* The Winners of the Year *

Half-Life 2 - 21

Halo 2 - 11 (including Awards 2005)

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 9 (including Awards 2005)

Katamari Damacy - 3

World of Warcraft - 3

Doom 3 - 2

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2

Rome Total War - 1

The Sims 2 - 1

City of Heroes - 1

Fable - 1

Imagine thinking that I was arguing against the objective fact that HL2 was the GOTY and not the subjective sentiment. Why are you being so literal?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer

2018:
1) God of War

2) Red Dead Redemption 2
3) Marvel's Spider-Man
4) Celeste
5) Tetris Effect

2017:

2) Horizon Zero Dawn
3) Super Mario Odyssey
4) Nier Automata
5) Persona 5

2016:
1) Uncharted 4

2) Overwatch
3) Doom
4) Battlefield 1
5) The Last Guardian

2015:
1) The Witcher 3

2) Fallout 4
3) Bloodborne
4) Metal Gear Solid V
5) Life is Strange

2014:

3) Mario Kart 8
4) Super Smash Bros WiiU
5) Far Cry 4

I feel like this is what the OP should have been, rather than just taking the single most-awarded game each year. Good post.

Have they reinvented Mario, Smash Bros and Mario Kart?

I would say no......
THIS post, on the other hand...oof. While it's true that MK and Smash on Switch are currently more "best-of editions" than reinventions, you really need to play Mario Odyssey. The capture mechanic alone is a game-changer; there's as much ingenuity and creativity on display in Odyssey as there was with the Galaxy games.

FFWarrior005

Alt account
Banned
Jul 13, 2019
Okay whoa, I didn't ever mention KI Ultimate and it's review score. I just said I heard some bad things about SFV out of the gate. And most of the problems with KI at launch wasn't with the gameplay, it was with the game lacking content.

And hey, I really don't think Sony needed to be there for SFV to exist considering what a massive IP it is, but who knows, right?

The RPG thing was more of a joke then anything else. Neither side really focuses on that genre, especially JRPGs.
Sorry I mixed you up with someone else with a Master chief avatar that said KI Ultimate was better than SF5. However most of the problems with SF5 at launch also had nothing to do with gameplay but rather the lack of content. Now out of the two SF5 AE is the more relevant game.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Sorry I mixed you up with someone else with a Master chief avatar that said KI Ultimate was better than SF5. However most of the problems with SF5 at launch also had nothing to do with gameplay but rather the lack of content. Now out of the two SF5 AE is the more relevant game.

Yeah lol, I noticed there were two of us posting at the same time in this thread. Easy mixup, no worries.
SFV Is definitely more relevant in today's fighting game community, but a large part of that is simply because of the brand name. I really do wish Killer Instinct was played more at Evo. Such a fun game to watch.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
ms line-up should get a bit better next gen.

i feel like it'll take at least 2 gens for the quality of their games to reach sony's level though. (IF they don't give up before then, considering the fact that xbox's strategy seems to change every 4 to 5 years, it's the most likely scenario.)

Status
Not open for further replies.