• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Vanquish?
vanq2.gif

tumblr_oqiz6o8Yrk1r7sijxo1_500.gif

The correct answer is Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Been a while since I played it but always nice to another human being that bought Future Soldier. Thought I was the only one.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I agree. The moment-to-moment gameplay is unparalleled. Shame about everything else.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
To me it is still Max Payne 3. They managed to achieve best balance between response time and animations. It looks and feels great to play. MGS V has some animations that are too fast ans sometimes look goofy.

Yup. MP3 is like this window into a direction gaming could have gone into, but didn't. Nothing else feels quite like it.

Q-Train

Designer at Zenimax Online
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Moving/aiming while on a nice flat surface feels amazing in MGSV but the cover and traversal systems were not at the same quality. Gears cover system is possibly best in the biz and you have to give traversal to Uncharted. My personal favorite 3rd person shooting mechanics are actually from the Dead Space series.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
People look at Max Payne 3 with rose tinted glasses. Max feels like shit to control most of the time. Replay it and you'll see what I mean.
You know what, I wasn't a fan of the movement/controls in Max Payne 3 either. I didn't quite get the hype when I came late to the party and gave it a go. It's been some time since I played it, so can't point out what exactly felt off. Phantom Pain played like a dream and is probably the best I've played, I don't play a lot of 3rd person shooters though.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand the complaints about the cover system.

The game controls so good, it doesn't even need the minor cover system that was implemented. A lot of the shootouts you get into involve you using the environment around you for cover. The movement and aiming is so good, you can easy move in and out of cover simply by yourself without issue.

Honestly, MGSV feels like a generation leap sort of game. So I find it incredibly disappointing that it has been three years, and we haven't had a single game come close. Seriously devs, steal from MGSV, this should be the Gears of War of this generation in terms of shooter inspiration. Instead, a lot of devs just stick close to tired last generation ideas.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The thing about MGSV for me is the gameplay is great, but the game surrounding it is pretty lackluster. Just a list of repetitive side missions in a bland open world.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finally got around to playing this and while it does control well, I prefer RE6's controls and gameplay overall.

Yes I'm one of those people, haha.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Horizon has tighter and more responsive controls, but MGSV is a much better controlling game than it's predecessors. MGS4's controls were so bad.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Completely disagree. It controls well for the franchise but The Division or Wildlands feel a lot smoother and snappy, not to mention stuff like Vanquish where you move at madman speeds with high precision. But I'd even argue that platform sections aside, even games like DMC or Bayonetta feel a lot more engaging. Plus there's the brilliant gameplay of Kingdom Of Amalur. I'll never ever understand the hype around MGSV's gameplay, it really isn't anything different or special that other games aren't doing, I just feel that a lot of people on Era skip EA/Ubisoft/Activision/etc. pretty much by default and actually miss out on the most comfortable and smooth gameplays out there. Because for all the shortcomings or shitty microtransactions they may have, games like Destiny, The Division, Call Of Duty, Siege, Wildlands, Mass Effect: Andromeda (I'm aware not all these are TPS but I'm trying to make a broader point) and so on actually feature some of the tightest controls in gaming.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It's so obvious who made their own fun playing this game and who went through the entire thing just tranquing and fultoning for hours.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Nothing comes close, and I doubt any would anytime soon with AAA games favoring contextual animation over controls.

Last edited:

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
You can't really debate against it when it used an internal engine, that was incredibly optimized and ahead of most technology. It's why MGSV ran great on last generation systems, low end PCs and gaming laptops. Konami weren't hyping it up for no reason back in 2012. It's a shame it's been used on rubbish, they probably should of started selling the license of it, although it would of cost a lot money to clean something up like that and have it suitable for third-party use.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It's one of the most mechanically accomplished games ever made, no doubt.

As a shooter, however, its not even close to the top ten; but then that's because it not a shooter, its a stealth game... and so everything from the enemy AI to the encounter design is inherently design to de-emphasise a run-and-gun TPS approach.

Yes it controls like a dream, but also its a completely different type of game than your average TPS.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Completely disagree. It controls well for the franchise but The Division or Wildlands feel a lot smoother and snappy, not to mention stuff like Vanquish where you move at madman speeds with high precision. But I'd even argue that platform sections aside, even games like DMC or Bayonetta feel a lot more engaging. Plus there's the brilliant gameplay of Kingdom Of Amalur. I'll never ever understand the hype around MGSV's gameplay, it really isn't anything different or special that other games aren't doing, I just feel that a lot of people on Era skip EA/Ubisoft/Activision/etc. pretty much by default and actually miss out on the most comfortable and smooth gameplays out there. Because for all the shortcomings or shitty microtransactions they may have, games like Destiny, The Division, Call Of Duty, Siege, Wildlands, Mass Effect: Andromeda (I'm aware not all these are TPS but I'm trying to make a broader point) and so on actually feature some of the tightest controls in gaming.
MGSV's controls and combat mechanics are recognized by critics, it's not an Era echo chamber opinion. Wildlands has nothing on V's versatility, likewise with the Division besides having better animations, and that's largely the case with the rest of your examples. With V it's not just precision of control, but options and flexibility of your actions. This is why people bring up games like RE6, which while not matching in intuitiveness, offers extraordinary range of movement.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm trying to get through the last of us on and off for the past year and it hasn't gripped me

Since I last tried, I played MGSV entirely all the way through

TLOU is going to be even rougher to get through going back, I fear. Now that I have that comparison.

Game really controls like a dream.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County

As a shooter, however, its not even close to the top ten; but then that's because it not a shooter, its a stealth game... and so everything from the enemy AI to the encounter design is inherently design to de-emphasise a run-and-gun TPS approach.

Yes it controls like a dream, but also its a completely different type of game than your average TPS.

Kinda makes the large arsenal a bit odd, then. Game has nearly as many lethal arms as a Call of Duty title.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Except for Gears most of these other games have something in common....the cover systems are bad and sluggish!

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I´m not a fan of TPS...which makes it much more impressive when I can pull parkouring up a wall, then jumping backwards and doing a flip mid-air while throwing a bomb right where I wanted it to go in Splatoon.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I prefer max payne 3 but mgs5 is pretty good.
Uncharted 4 and horizon have excellent movement and gunplay too.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Kinda makes the large arsenal a bit odd, then. Game has nearly as many lethal arms as a Call of Duty title.

Beceause lethal stealth is a thing, and many of the games's encounters can't be done stealthily.

Game provides plenty options, but it doesn't mean its primarily a shooter.

If you've played an MGS game you'll understand how inadequate the "shooter" descriptor is for the games.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

Also this, mgs5 is not a pure tps.

Usul

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dune
That is most definitely the game as cover and roll are on the same button. It's been an issue that's plagued the series since the first game.

It's not for you. Gears Of War's controls and movement are pretty fluent. There is a reason why a lot of the levels (single-player and multi-player) don't have a lot of open areas. The game wants you to roadie run and move through all objects you can slide and bounce off. If you think the A button being assigned 3* functions is a problem, you're most likely just uncoordinated on it.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Completely disagree. It controls well for the franchise but The Division or Wildlands feel a lot smoother and snappy,

Really? You actually think Wildlands is a better feeling game than MGSV?

I think you need to revisit both of these games again, because I just find that statement baffling. Wildlands is one of the most disappointing games of the generation for me, and the vast majority of the disappointment to me is put on simply the terrible controls and game feel. MGSV is in a completely different league when it comes to shooting and character control. On top of that, MGSV is a FAAAR more complex game with its dozens of unique gadgets and mechanics. Despite having all this stuff to potentially weigh it down, it all works beautifully and is easily one of if not the best TPS of all time. Wildlands is a game focused solely on basic stealth and action, and it can barely get that stuff right.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
It's not for you. Gears Of War's controls and movement are pretty fluent. There is a reason why a lot of the levels (single-player and multi-player) don't have a lot of open areas. The game wants you to roadie run and move through all objects you can slide and bounce off. If you think the A button being assigned 3* functions is a problem, you're most likely just uncoordinated on it.

I have no issues in plenty of other games with cover and other actions mapped to a single button. The problem is for whatever reason, gears sometimes has difficulty deciding if you're pressing A to roll or pressing A to get into cover.

Strangely enough, i don't like vanquish too much tbh...i prefer binary domain from the sega tps catalogue.

I also like Binary Domain but in terms of gameplay it was pretty run of the mill. What made it shine was the setting, story, and character interactions.

Vanquish is purely about the camp and gameplay.

And to the poster who said Wildlands controls better than MGSV that's spicy as hell. Personally I thought wildlands played pretty poorly.

Jayveer

Oct 25, 2017
Personally I prefer MGS4s as it's a bit more arcadey but still fluid. But agree that V is still better than any other tps game out there that isn't mgs though. I already mentioned it in a previous thread, but just a fully allowing you to switch your aiming shoulder and keep it that way is one thing that sets mgs games apart from most other tps games.