Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
The shooting was great for the time - we're talking 2 gens ago - much better than the MGS games of the same gen. But I think the strenght was not the shooting but the versatility of all things you could do. I was shock the amount of moves and options you had on the Xbox controller at the time. I think it was one of the only game really using ALL my Duke buttons :)

You remember how you could jump on the wall and do a Van Damme on the wall ? You could even shoot guys that way. You can strangle folks or melee them. When you crouch you can walk nicely ( unlike MGS games ). And again, all feels so natural and organic.
yeah it was good for the time. Two gens later, MGS has absolutely caught up, and passed it. The Van damme wall thing was cool but that stuff was extremely situational, but other things like hanging from piping and gadgetry was extremely good. Again, MGSV gives you just as much variety now, but with even better controls today.

I will say SC Blacklist has some really cool cqc stuff going on that can sort of rival what MGSV does in that specific sense.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
I've sunk 50 hours into it, the majority of which was doing side mission after side mission because the core loop of stealthily taking over bases is so incredibly solid.

This weekend, I fell into a deep The Division well, but I still inadvertently leave cover, switch to the wrong weapon, etc. There's a level of precision that MGSV has that is very satisfying, but hard to describe.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Someone said it earlier, but I think it's the extensive use of canned animations that hurts it for me. They are quick and don't deviate from what you'd expect, but it also makes the game feel less versatile than many of its peers.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played Ground Zeroes so I don't know if they play the same. The controls felt good but I just couldn't get into it.

I think Horizon ZD is my goat for good feeling controls though.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue Watch Dogs is really close; Aiden's movement is more rudimentary compared to what Venom Snake can do, but it had some of the most responsive, fluid controls I've ever used in any third person title, and it's all tied together with an exceptional cover system and highly exceptional combat. The ease at which you can move over and around obstacles is what really made it special.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
i've only played about 3 hours of it but this is so true. i was literally doing what i intended to do just within the first hour of playing around. i don't have to go through hoops and justify the controls by saying it is "weight". the controls scheme isn't the friendliest but they made the controls so snappy that you don't get confused by it. with other games, i'd still get confused and it takes time to get used to the controls. with mgsv even with the complex control scheme and lots of context-sensitive actions, it is very easy to be good at them.

Hurting Bomb

Oct 28, 2017
Im not sure how anybody can say Gears is clunky, it has the best/cover system....snapping into cover and transitioning from cover to cover.

Running, diving/rolling and weapon swapping are all on point.

It has a high skill ceiling also.

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree,
I find stuff like Socom and Wildlands to control far better and just be more enjoyable to do the basics overall

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I've sunk 50 hours into it, the majority of which was doing side mission after side mission because the core loop of stealthily taking over bases is so incredibly solid.

This weekend, I fell into a deep The Division well, but I still inadvertently leave cover, switch to the wrong weapon, etc. There's a level of precision that MGSV has that is very satisfying, but hard to describe.
Ubisoft's shooters look pretty and feel flimsy outside of Siege. Ghost Recon in particular felt cheap after MGSV.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Im not sure how anybody can say Gears is clunky, it has the best/cover system....snapping into cover and transitioning from cover to cover.

Running, diving/rolling and weapon swapping are all on point.

It has a high skill ceiling also.
Definitely! Gears feels really nice to control in its own right and you can do some crazy stuff once you get a deep understanding of the controls as you say.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
What makes the controls so amazing is the complexity of the gamplay and how everything fits.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I nabbed that lightning deal for MGS5/Zeros/Rising for $5 over at GMG.

Still haven't installed any of them though, lol.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The shooting ruined it all for me, and I just couldn't enjoy this game enough to keep playing.

Personally the best controlling TPS is Uncharted 4. Everything is quick and fluid, parkouring around the environments is satisfying, using the rope swing for takedowns is some Indiana Jones type shit and most importantly the shooting/weapon feedback is ace.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing control, meh gunplay. The impact of the shooting just doesn't feel right.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Sublime animations, but Gears still takes the cake with it's roadie run into cover slides and the ability to cancel and wallbounce. No other TPS grants the same level of precise control of your character.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree. Would also like to add how good the audio feedback is. Every step, every dive, even down to the clothes and weapons you're carrying are heard as you move around.

Wouldn't have used Max Payne 3 as a counterexample though. That game controls just the way it should for what it's doing.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely! Gears feels really nice to control in its own right and you can do some crazy stuff once you get a deep understanding of the controls as you say.

Spastic play that abuses controls isn't particularly convincing. Last game I played like this was EDF in terms of animations.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I agree. Would also like to add how good the audio feedback is. Every step, every dive, even down to the clothes and weapons you're carrying are heard as you move around.

Wouldn't have used Max Payne 3 as a counterexample though. That game controls just the way it should for what it's doing.
To be honest, in the case of Max Payne 3, even though I played it on PC, it has some serious dead zone and input lag issues on consoles. What I was trying to get at is that MGSV controls really well on both consoles and PC.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK

Exactly, everything else feels clunky in comparison.

Isn't this the remake of the original Gears of War too? Which is to say it doesn't have wall-cancelling.

Gears of War 4 is secretly the best controlling TPS this gen for my money. The control you have at any one moment is fantastic.

MGSV is immediately gratifying, but mastering the cover system in Gears of War, particularly every instalment after the original, is so satisfying.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Controlling BB in MGSV was undeniably satisfying and pretty much the reason I kept playing the game because the gameplay was great. However, I feel controlling Drake, particularly in Uncharted 4, was far more satisfying in general.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
My biggest issue is that the cover system is trash.

One thing I like is despite all the controls and things you do it's not confusing or dumb to play with a controller, unlike something like red dead 2 where there are so many things there is to much button overlap and it's sooo inconsistent.

Gospel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MGS V's responsiveness is unrivaled, no doubt.

When it comes to gunplay though, I'd still put Uncharted 4 (for its fluidity and the fact that its gunplay translates very well between multiplayer and single player) and Max Payne 3 ( which felt like every part of its gunplay and mechanics related to it were combed through a fine-toothed comb.) well ahead of it.

Vanquish is just a dope action game with ranged weapons and a sick movement option. It's amazing at that but the gunplay is not its focus.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Best controlling yeah, but the actual shooting doesn't feel good at all compared to full-blown shooter games.

yeah, controls like a dream. the actual shooting, eh

not that that's a mark against it as it isn't really a shooter. but labeling it as best TPS across the board is a little shaky

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
I would be ecstatic if every third person shooter made from now on felt exactly the same to control as MGSV.

It's very rare that you get a game that feels so responsive while having animations that look good too.

As good as it is though even the devs realized that first person aiming was the way to go.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I think one place the snappiness of the controls falls apart is Metal Gear Online, where everyone can do what you do in single player. It results in some really spastic combat.

To be honest, in the case of Max Payne 3, even though I played it on PC, it has some serious dead zone and input lag issues on consoles. What I was trying to get at is that MGSV controls really well on both consoles and PC.

True that. I'd love to see a current gen (or even next gen) port that sorted all of that out and gave us a solid 60fps.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I think one place the snappiness of the controls falls apart is Metal Gear Online, where everyone can do what you do in single player. It results in some really spastic combat.
The melee in MGO falls apart in aesthetics. You can toss people into polls and they'll wallsplat comically, or ground sweeps and elevation can do some wonky shit. It remains effective and versatile, though.