• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spoilers for Zero 3

But I'm feeling nostalgic. This was my most hype youtube video I'd ever seen 9 years ago.

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Excellent work! Super happy to see how fun the ZChaser mode is shaping up to be and how extensive the gallery and music player are!

Thank you! I'm very happy with how it turned out. :) Z Chaser is indeed fun -- way more so than X Challenge was -- and every single one of these games holds up despite some (like Zero 1) showing their age more than others. Save Assist just makes them even more fun, honestly. I just hope I don't get burned on the whole input latency thing, but I truly didn't feel even a lick of it over my weeks of playing the collection on my Samsung 1080p LED, so we'll see.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch collection looks pretty great! Wish it had undubs of the two ZX games though.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
The Switch collection looks pretty great! Wish it had undubs of the two ZX games though.

Not quite sure what you mean by "undub," but do be aware that the Japanese version of every game is included and ZX Advent, if you play that version, does include the original Japanese voice track. So if you know your way through the game or are willing to use a guide (or just know Japanese), you can play ZX Advent with 100% less booty.

Still, as bad as the English voice track is, it's charming as hell in that amateur-as-hell, what-were-they-thinking sort of way... minus the offensive stereotypes like Buckfire and Rospark, but what can you do.

Also, for what it's worth, the Japanese version of each Zero game restores the blood spurts, too.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Does anyone know f the physical version for the Switch will have all the games included on the cart? Or will it be a download of a few?

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Not quite sure what you mean by "undub," but do be aware that the Japanese version of every game is included and ZX Advent, if you play that version, does include the original Japanese voice track. So if you know your way through the game or are willing to use a guide (or just know Japanese), you can play ZX Advent with 100% less booty.

Still, as bad as the English voice track is, it's charming as hell in that amateur-as-hell, what-were-they-thinking sort of way... minus the offensive stereotypes like Buckfire and Rospark, but what can you do.

Also, for what it's worth, the Japanese version of each Zero game restores the blood spurts, too.

loved your review, Ash!!

I've had this preloaded since it went up on the eShop last year. Super excited for this and the continued revival of all of the Mega Man subseries.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
loved your review, Ash!!

I've had this preloaded since it went up on the eShop last year. Super excited for this and the continued revival of all of the Mega Man subseries.

Thank you very much! I put a ton of work into it and am happy with how it turned out. The intro might be my favorite thing I've ever done video editing-wise, haha.

You're going to have a blast. Enjoy, and here's hoping Mega Man Battle Network/Star Force Legacy Collection is next... and that they give media at least three months for that one. :P (They won't.)

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I am sooooooooo hyped for this release. Also, I would like to see Capcom release the Mythos tracks as DLC.

Last edited:

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Watching the GameXplain video, YOU CAN'T BIND FUNCTIONS TO ZL/ZR?!?!?

What the hell were they thinking? I want dash on ZL and saber on ZR like a normal human being whose index fingers naturally rest on those buttons. I'm baffled. I'm buying this on Switch precisely because it has digital shoulder buttons. If

Last edited:

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
The biggest sin is the King Plane boss with Mega Man. It feels like it's entirely luck based as to whether you can make it through without a platform you've committed to jumping to gets blasted away right before you land.

My impression of the game is that it was designed with Bass's mobility in mind and then Mega Man was thrown in without sufficient playtesting.
The last time I played R&F, I figured out that you can exploit Lightning Bolt's couple seconds of hang time to deal with the ground getting punched out from under you, but it's definitely a pain in the ass.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
In this context undub means English text, Japanese voiceover. There actually exist fan undubs for both ZX DS ROMs.
I have not played any of them yet and don't like to play with guides.

Based on your (very informative, nicely done) video, the other option I'd like is a "has checkpoints, but also retains lives system" difficulty option. Really gettin' fine-grained here, heh. And maybe a kinder Cyber-Elves system in at least the first game, the harshness of which I get scared just reading about. Hurts my completionist bones.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
In this context undub means English text, Japanese voiceover. There actually exist fan undubs for both ZX DS ROMs.
I have not played any of them yet and don't like to play with guides.

Based on your (very informative, nicely done) video, the other option I'd like is a "has checkpoints, but also retains lives system" difficulty option. Really gettin' fine-grained here, heh. And maybe a kinder Cyber-Elves system in at least the first game, the harshness of which I get scared just reading about. Hurts my completionist bones.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification! Unfortunately that isn't an option, but if it's any consolation, ZX Advent's English voice acting, while awful, is absolutely awful in the best way. It's less bad-bad, like Mega Man X7, and much more good-bad, like Mega Man 8 and X4. Just prepare yourself for a lot of booty if/when you play as Ashe. You'll know what I mean when you get there...

And thank you! Yeah, I was surprised by Save-Assist granting infinite lives at first, but I came to really enjoy that aspect (probably because I'm older, with a lot less free gaming time than I used to have). Zero 1 definitely does come off as rough around the edges with that punishing Cyber-Elf system and weird world design, but look at it this way: if you're a completionist, that means you need to get every Cyber-Elf anyway, so it's a win-win. ;)

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
So save assist is infinite lives and checkpoints before bosses? That seems pretty cool, and it looks like it doesn't affect trophies (making them even easier lol).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have the game in my Steam wishlist. I need to know about the game's performance and input lag before buying it.

I also have the previous Mega Man collections in my Steam wishlist. How is the input lag for these games?

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
How's the filters? Two reviews I watched didn't seem to mention them.

Is there both a scanline one and a LCD screen one?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Snagged the Switch version early in NYC today and just played through the first mission on Zero 1. Surprised at how much this game holds up! I turned the filter off and it looks pretty good in portable mode. Can't really comment on the input lag - I didnt notice it much in X Legacy and I'm not noticing it much here, either. Overall feels really snappy. Messed around in the art gallery and there is a TON of great art in there, if that is your thing.

Super excited to play Zero 3,4 and the ZX games, all of which I've actually never played. I'm a huge MM fan but shamefully these games are a black hole on my list that I just never played. Pumped to see what's in store!

Lastly, I really hope this sells well so that a Legends Collection will see the light of day...

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the GameXplain video, YOU CAN'T BIND FUNCTIONS TO ZL/ZR?!?!?

What the hell were they thinking? I want dash on ZL and saber on ZR like a normal human being whose index fingers naturally rest on those buttons. I'm baffled. I'm buying this on Switch precisely because it has digital shoulder buttons. If
I mean... You could just buy it on Steam, use a Pro Controller and use Steam's controller config feature to fix it. That's basically what I'm doing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Damn it I'm so tempted to buy it digitally right now but I want the physical game so I'll probably wait till tomorrow.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... You could just buy it on Steam, use a Pro Controller and use Steam's controller config feature to fix it. That's basically what I'm doing.

I want to play on portable, and I already have the Switch version coming. It's so stupid when the DS Zero Collection let you rebind everything.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Does anyone know yet how the pre-order bonus redemption is going to work for physical copies? I'm not sure if I should expect a code on the receipt or what.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Well shit. Walmart canceled my preorder. Will I not get the preorder bonus if I order from Bestbuy now? Doesn't have a preorder option now but I'm making the order before they open today.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
First mission of Zero 1 down with an A rank (Damn boss). The music, the gameplay, the frustration at not being able to replay missions down the line for a better rank...ah, that's the Zero I know and love.

Done a bit of additional weapon level grinding, saved and started the next mission. Shame it's time for work.

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
I have the game in my Steam wishlist. I need to know about the game's performance and input lag before buying it.

I also have the previous Mega Man collections in my Steam wishlist. How is the input lag for these games?
For input lag, Mega Man 1-6 are not terrible, but some take issue with them. 7-10 are fine but the aspect ratios on 7, 9, and 10 are 8:7, making them inconsistent with the rest of the games on these collections.

When it comes to the X Collections, X1-3 are pretty bad, the worst of the bunch, while X4-8 are absolutely fine as those games are ports rather than emulation like the first three X games. Do note that many people claim they don't even notice it in X1-3, so if you aren't sensitive to input latency you may be fine.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know yet how the pre-order bonus redemption is going to work for physical copies? I'm not sure if I should expect a code on the receipt or what.

Probably depends on where you bought it. My copy is showing up via Amazon later today but I already recieved the reploid remixes code via email. If you're picking up in store a code on the receipt is likely.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Booted it up real quick and checked Zero 1, if there is any input lag I cant detect it, game runs perfectly.

DonFreecs

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I remember playing zero for a bit a long time ago. And I was struggling quite a bit. Are these games way harder than the NES Megaman games?

Sevyne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's the filters? Two reviews I watched didn't seem to mention them.

Is there both a scanline one and a LCD screen one?

There's one of those shitty vaseline filters, a filter that tries to copy the scanlines/static look of the gba, and the option of no filter (clean, but chunky look). It took a few moments to grow on me, but I actually love the scanline one.

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
I just got a code from Amazon despite the only notice on their page of it existing being an image in Spanish, so I think there's supposed to be even if it's not explicitly advertised. I would definitely check with the salesperson if you don't see it.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just wanted to make sure, there's no switch retail version in Europe?
Nope. Not for the other consoles either. Capcom Europe don't re-release on physical. Like Dead Rising, MegaMan X collection, the Resident Evil re-releases and so on....sadly. However i have seen retailers taking in imports sometimes. But i guess that has been a thing since the 90's.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For input lag, Mega Man 1-6 are not terrible, but some take issue with them. 7-10 are fine but the aspect ratios on 7, 9, and 10 are 8:7, making them inconsistent with the rest of the games on these collections.

When it comes to the X Collections, X1-3 are pretty bad, the worst of the bunch, while X4-8 are absolutely fine as those games are ports rather than emulation like the first three X games. Do note that many people claim they don't even notice it in X1-3, so if you aren't sensitive to input latency you may be fine.
Damn, that sucks. And that is the case for every platform the games were released on?

Shane M

Avenger
Jan 1, 2018
Thorold, Ontario, Canada
Damn, that sucks. And that is the case for every platform the games were released on?
Generally, yes, but there is some variance.

They don't test PC but I would assume it falls around where Xbox One does (depending on your settings).

Oh, and I guess it's worth pointing out that the original Legacy Collection seems worse on Switch than other platforms according to people who bought that version. I didn't play any of these games on Switch myself but I am pleased with everything but the first three X games, latency-wise.